Photo

Chris Paul is staying in L.A., but not with the Clippers?

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#121 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,913 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 12, 2013 - 07:50 PM

Cp3 wouldn't change the fact that we have MDA as the coach. MDA would screw up something some how.

"No Justice. No Peace. Jail the Racist Police!"

#122 RobBlake

RobBlake

Sixth Man

• 2,841 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted May 12, 2013 - 08:40 PM

Cp3 wouldn't change the fact that we have MDA as the coach. MDA would screw up something some how.

all i know is... Cp3, Kobe, Gasol and Howard... thats all we need lol i could live with nash, meeks/goudelock, hill, and metta on the team. Even though not even close to reality

Edited by RobBlake, May 12, 2013 - 08:40 PM.

ap1.png

#123 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 12, 2013 - 09:22 PM

Wouldn't matter if we had MJ in his prime. MDA is an undefeated loser

Pau Gasol is GONE

#124 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 12, 2013 - 11:14 PM

So with you Windu.

It seems to escape far too many people that no matter what personnel is shuffled around, it won't matter as long as the Laker retain D'Antoni.

#125 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,120 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 12, 2013 - 11:18 PM

Funny thing is CP3 actually is the kind of point guard capable of doing things D'antoni would want and capable of it.

He is actually capable of running and setting the offense of a team and setting the table in ways Nash no longer can.

Still though CP3 and Kobe would most likely be coaching the team together. And unlike the Clippers and Blake, Kobe would actually embrace CP3s qualities and knowledge rather than shunning them.

Edited by Majesty, May 13, 2013 - 02:24 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#126 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,887 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 12:01 AM

Wow...just, wow...

I'm rarely speechless but this speculation has done the trick...

#127 nikolatesla

nikolatesla

Rookie

• 391 posts
  • Name:Aykut
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted May 13, 2013 - 12:28 AM

^Because Majesty needs to prove he is right all the time and as he struggles he gives endless examples and write an article with every post. It's one thing to know a lot about a topic but it's another thing not to force people into your opinion. Don't get me wrong, kudos for all the stats and effort etc. i appreciate it, i really do. But you are trying so hard to be right all the time and ignoring facts most of the time. There is %1 chance for Lakers to land Paul yet you are talking like it's a coin toss. Sorry but other fans do make fun of us because of our spoiled we will get every superstar in the league attitude. And if you care to answer this, please make it short and simple so i can stay on the topic and actually understand what you say.

#128 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,887 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 12:32 AM

So with you Windu.

It seems to escape far too many people that no matter what personnel is shuffled around, it won't matter as long as the Laker retain D'Antoni.

Who out there outside of Phil Jackson is worth paying 3 coaches simultaneously??  Assuming everyone has come to grips with the fact that Jim Buss may NEVER employ Phil Jackson again based on principle alone?

Or does that matter?

#129 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,120 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 02:35 AM

^Because Majesty needs to prove he is right all the time and as he struggles he gives endless examples and write an article with every post. It's one thing to know a lot about a topic but it's another thing not to force people into your opinion. Don't get me wrong, kudos for all the stats and effort etc. i appreciate it, i really do. But you are trying so hard to be right all the time and ignoring facts most of the time. There is %1 chance for Lakers to land Paul yet you are talking like it's a coin toss. Sorry but other fans do make fun of us because of our spoiled we will get every superstar in the league attitude. And if you care to answer this, please make it short and simple so i can stay on the topic and actually understand what you say.

sorry if it sounds like a coin toss.  I could have sworn I've said multiple times that it would shock me if Mitch pulled it off.

Mainly what I've been doing is answering what would appeal to him to come here and what Mitch would be selling to him.

Sorry if I make it sound so simple but quite honestly, it would have to be unless we eviscerated our team with amnesties and waiving people which at that point it'd be pointless to try to get him.   Mitch would try his best to get him without having to amnesty people just to do it.

So, I gave the reasons what positive reasons there'd be for him to sign both short term and long term and what Mitch could promise him and the benefits of it. 

While also giving the reasons he wouldn't sign with Miami.

Sorry if to you it seems like its as simple as a coin toss.  

But if I say all the things Mitch could sell to him and all the benefits of why he'd sign here and it seems as "simple as a coin toss" to you, I can only imagine how Mitch would make it sound because he would tell CP3 the same thing I'm telling you.

Franchise max contract guaranteed in 2014 (because Dwight already has his)
KNOWING he'll be on a championship contending team for years to come which WILL contend for years after and isn't just a one year attempt before everything breaks apart.
Championship core basically built and ready to build around with most having a year together already(should he sign in this off-season)
Viable franchise option beside him(that can stay that option for years to come) which would make his life a lot easier in Dwight Howard
Franchise core IN TACT headed into the 2014 season aside from ones "just built" that need time and cohesiveness or ones bound to lose one or two stars because of "who gets what" contract battles.and which gives us a chance at being the most prepared team going into that season to make a run at a championship.
Place he can finish career
Not having to move.
The championship lore and the guaranteed max contract to end out his career(he would probably be near the end of his career by the time that contract ended)
Selling the Lakers lore and history(which he's best at)

Those are pretty much all the positives Mitch can and will sell to CP3 in an attempt to get him to sign here.

If I make it sound as "simple as a coin toss" Mitch will probably make it sound a thousand times better because those are the only true selling points he can legitimately sell to him as we can't offer a huge contract off the bat Mitch is gonna have to bring up other positive points and those are them.   

And since the Lakers are going to make an attempt at him don't expect Mitch to say anything different when trying to sell CP3 the Lakers than I have.   He'll probably say a lot more and a lot better.  Do I know if he'll say exactly that?  No I don't.  But I'm pretty sure if I know the positives enough to state how I think he'd sell coming to the Lakers to CP3 that he'd already figured them out 8 months ago.

Mitch will try his darndest and make it sound a lot better than I can and will probably have more to say.  

But ultimately, It's up to Chris Paul whether or not he wants it.  

And something tells me he doesn't want to wane in mediocrity and second round exits for the rest of his career JUST to get a max contract one year earlier ESPECIALLY after this year.  I could be wrong yes.  But CP3 is a competitor, so I'd assume he'd give it strong thought and let's be honest, the Lakers are probably the onloy team that would be willing to get CP3 on a max deal in the 2014 season to pair him with Dwight while every other team looking for a franchise point guard is most likely going to be bumrushing for John Wall in some way shape or form.   He basically would either sign with the Clippers for the max, and finish his career there and probably never win a championship, or come here and sign the mMLE with a promised max in 2014 while other teams during that off-season probably won't give him a max deal on the eve of his 30s.

He obviously knows that the Clippers can offer him the most money out of the gate, its a question on if he really thinks that the team with Griffin as their franchise player moving forward would ever get beyond the second round without him(Cp3) massacring his body and pushing himself past exhaustion to attempt to get them there in these last probably 3 years at the top of his game career, with no guarantee that it will(especially after the first round exit this year) and Mitch wouldn't have him in his sights if he thought it was helpless.

So we'll just have to wait and see ultimately.

Edited by Majesty, May 13, 2013 - 02:49 AM.

#130 nikolatesla

nikolatesla

Rookie

• 391 posts
  • Name:Aykut
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted May 13, 2013 - 04:01 AM

Good answer as always but i kinda lost focus somewhere around the middle. Wonder why? Because you keep telling the same things even in the same sentence sometimes. And despite the fact you say you think it's not as easy as a coin toss, you just keep saying your thoughts (which i think you believe as facts) that says the opposite. I think you have to work on your writing skills.

#131 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,120 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 04:18 AM

Good answer as always but i kinda lost focus somewhere around the middle. Wonder why? Because you keep telling the same things even in the same sentence sometimes. And despite the fact you say you think it's not as easy as a coin toss, you just keep saying your thoughts (which i think you believe as facts) that says the opposite. I think you have to work on your writing skills.

No, I'm saying my thoughts on what I think the "positives" that Mitch would sell CP3 in his sales pitch.  If you got past the middle you'd see that :) 

I said it's not as easy as a coin toss but if I make it sound that way Mitch would make it sound tens times better when he pitches it to CP3 as he figured out the positives to sell to CP3 on coming to the Lakers a looong time ago and way before I would have. 

And that they are probably the positives Mitch would sell to CP3 since he can't give him max money right away as those things are all he would be able to honestly sell him on. 

The only other way would be eviscerating our team with amnesties and waives.. which at that point our team would be so depleted and empty it'd be pointless to bring Cp3 in.

Edited by Majesty, May 13, 2013 - 04:22 AM.

#132 vdwielen

vdwielen

Rookie

• 68 posts
  • Name:Maarten
  • Fan Since:2011
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 13, 2013 - 04:53 AM

Offcourse it would be awesome if he will sign the Lakers.

It may be possible if they can get rid of Nash, and dont give Howard his max contract.

I think he doenst deserve that anyway he is not a role player you know.

Get rid of Howard and Nash and sign some younger cheaper center and Paul, if thats possible they got a chance of winning something.

#133 Bishop*

Bishop*

Rookie

• 66 posts
  • Name:Kofi Oppong
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 13, 2013 - 05:49 AM

Don't the Lakers have an amnesty to Use and can't they use that on anybody?? Can't you spend that money on somebody else after you do that??

I don't know the answers to these. I am just asking.

#134 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,482 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted May 13, 2013 - 07:21 AM

Don't the Lakers have an amnesty to Use and can't they use that on anybody?? Can't you spend that money on somebody else after you do that??

Yes, they can use the amnesty clause on certain players that were signed on the team prior to the new CBA.  The highest value one they could use would be on Kobe, causing rioting in the streets of LA, they would still have to pay him, but his salary wouldn't count towards the salary cap.  As far as I know, the Lakers would still be over the salary cap even if they amnestied Kobe (assuming they resign Howard, which I fully believe they will).  When you are over the salary cap, you can only sign players to contracts such as the MLE.  The Lakers are pretty screwed next season, contract hell, but most of their contracts come off the books in the following offseason. 

#135 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,969 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted May 13, 2013 - 07:59 AM

Amnesty is basically like waiving a player but then their salary wont count agiasnt the cap or luxury. We still have to pay them the fll amount. And no you cant use that money to spend on other player. It could be used to get under the cap but even amnestying kobe wouldn't work assuming we resign dwight. 

#136 KobeBeef24

KobeBeef24

Canada, eh?

• 1,332 posts
  • Fan Since:2007
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, MWP, Swaggy P, LO, Pau

Posted May 13, 2013 - 08:10 AM

I dont think he would sign here if Pau is still here, touching his head and all hahaha

#137 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted May 13, 2013 - 09:19 AM

So with you Windu.

I see that and many others do too. But, it's not like the roster doesn't need heavy work too.

Not that I think that this idea is in any way possible. But, I don't get why people keep going into topics and saying: "It doesn't matter because MDA is still coach." Under that logic, we can't really talk about the Lakers at all.

Edited by Japago, May 13, 2013 - 10:14 AM.

Posted Image

#138 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted May 13, 2013 - 10:13 AM

The roster does need work...beginning with getting Pau Gasol as far away from LA as possible. You can't do one without the other (coach/roster) but our biggest problem is MDA/Pau.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#139 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,246 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 10:40 AM

beginning with getting Pau Gasol as far away from LA as possible.

MARS

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#140 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted May 13, 2013 - 12:54 PM

Sooo, what, he'd sign a 1 year MLE deal, then resign for a max once everyone comes off the books?

I'll believe it when I see it. Would be pretty hilarious though. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users