Photo

Chris Paul is staying in L.A., but not with the Clippers?

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#101 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 40,055 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 12, 2013 - 04:56 PM

Uhm, then why wouldn't he sign with MIA this season and then sign with the Lakers in 14?

Why is this thread approaching 6 pages? Ugh

He wouldn't take a paycut, move to Miami after paying 8 million for a house in LA, pay for a place in Miami, play one year for the Heat, and then come and play for the Lakers on a max contract.       And Miami isn't gonna offer CP3 a deal because they can't offer him a max contract in 2014 as they are gonna try to keep their core together.   They aren't signing LeBron AND Paul to max contracts in 2014 and keeping Bosh and vice versa.   

If Miami came at him and said "hey come take less money and play for Miami for a year, have a chance to win a ring, afterwards we'll offer you the max contract, LeBron and Bosh leave but you'll at least have Dwayne Wade at the end of his career and then we'll try to put a viable second option around you."     CP3 isn't going to say yes to that as he's not THAT old in his career. 

CP3 doesn't want to just contend for a ring he wants to be a part of the franchise he wins that ring(s) with.  That's why the Lakers offer him the best opportunity while being the SAME team that can sign him to a max contract in the 2014 season while also pairing him with another max contract player to contend for years to come.

it pretty much comes down to this

The "OMG MITCH IS AWESOME" scenario is this

Dwight Howard re-signs with us
Chris Paul signs with us for the mMLE
We enter the season with our franchise core in tact and make a run

in the 2013-2014 off-season we re-sign Chris Paul for the max contract
Try to convince Kobe to re-sign for less
the outcome of that is unknown  but our franchise core for the next 5 years is in tact at that point

The "other probable" scenario that could land us CP3

Chris Paul signs a one year deal with the Clippers for one more shot
They lose in the first or second round
in the 2013-2014 off-season we sign Chris Paul for the max contract anyway
the outcome of that is unknown but our franchise core for the next 5 years is in tact at that point.

Those are the only two scenario's that would really be favorable and don't involve us obliterating our team with amnesties and waives just to sign the guy to which it would be pointless to do so at that point.  

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#102 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,418 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 12, 2013 - 05:08 PM

He wouldn't take a paycut, move to Miami after paying 8 million for a house in LA, pay for a place in Miami, play one year for the Heat, and then come and play for the Lakers on a max contract. And Miami isn't gonna offer CP3 a deal because they can't offer him a max contract in 2014 as they are gonna try to keep their core together. They aren't signing LeBron AND Paul to max contracts in 2014 and keeping Bosh and vice versa.

If Miami came at him and said "hey come take less money and play for Miami for a year, have a chance to win a ring, afterwards we'll offer you the max contract, LeBron and Bosh leave but you'll at least have Dwayne Wade at the end of his career and then we'll try to put a viable second option around you." CP3 isn't going to say yes to that as he's not THAT old in his career.

CP3 doesn't want to just contend for a ring he wants to be a part of the franchise he wins that ring(s) with. That's why the Lakers offer him the best opportunity while being the SAME team that can sign him to a max contract in the 2014 season while also pairing him with another max contract player to contend for years to come.

it pretty much comes down to this

The "OMG MITCH IS AWESOME" scenario is this

Chris Paul signs with us for the mMLE
We enter the season with our franchise core in tact and make a run

in the 2013-2014 off-season we re-sign Chris Paul for the max contract
the outcome of that is unknown but our franchise core for the next 5 years is in tact at that point

The "other probable" scenario that could land us CP3

Chris Paul signs a one year deal with the Clippers for one more shot
They lose in the first or second round
in the 2013-2014 off-season we sign Chris Paul for the max contract anyway
the outcome of that is unknown but our franchise core for the next 5 years is in tact at that point.

Those are the only two scenario's that would really be favorable and don't involve us obliterating our team with amnesties and waives just to sign the guy to which it would be pointless to do so at that point.

Who said anything about CP3 wanting stay in MIA? If he really wanted to win, and is as calculated as the scenario suggests, why wouldn't he say, 'why not get a for sure ring with MIA right now to past the time while I wait for LA to get their [expletive] together and their roster space cleared out'. Meanwhile he gets to live in a nice upscale apartment in south beach for a year, win damn near every game, and win a ring before he extends long term in a new and improved Lakers squad.

#103 Lagunero

Lagunero

☑ Nash ☑ Howard - Win Championship ☐

• 1,617 posts
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Kareem, Shaq.

Posted May 12, 2013 - 05:16 PM

i dont think this could happen. if it were to happen, i would suck mitch's dick.

Posted Image

#104 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,055 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 05:17 PM

Who said anything about CP3 wanting stay in MIA? If he really wanted to win, and is as calculated as the scenario suggests, why wouldn't he say, 'why not get a for sure ring with MIA right now to past the time while I wait for LA to get their [expletive] together and their roster space cleared out'. Meanwhile he gets to live in a nice upscale apartment in south beach for a year, win damn near every game, and win a ring before he extends long term in a new and improved Lakers squad.

Because like I said it's more than "just winning a championship" that is the reason he'd sign to the Lakers as I stated earlier but obviously you missed it, so here.

Miami can't offer Chris Paul a max contract in 2014.

LeBron isn't gonna take another paycut, and Bosh is gonna want more money.

So unless they want to lose the big three then they aren't bringing in Paul.

The reasoning that Paul would sign to the Lakers for the mMLE isn't JUST to win a championship, it's because the Lakers could offer him a max contract in 2014 after that year is up.  It's not JUST the mMLE and the lure of a championship.  There's a big BIG paycheck at the end of that rainbow.

Whereas in Miami if they tried that with Chris Paul and then gave him the max in 2014, they lose LeBron and they lose Bosh and a Miami Heat team with just an almost out of the league Wade and Chris Paul would put him in the same situation all over again which isn't appealing for him in the least.

So no, he wouldn't go to Miami ;)  

Edited by Majesty, May 12, 2013 - 05:17 PM.

#105 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,405 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted May 12, 2013 - 05:25 PM

Why couldn't Miami just bring in CP3 for the MLE (spoiler alert, this will not happen for the Lakers, the Heat, or any other team in the league ever, CP3 is getting the max), let Bosh walk, let Wade walk, and resign Lebron to a max?  That is just as plausible as CP3 joining the Lakers, virtually guarantees a ring next season, and well, Lebron is a lot better than any 2 players the Lakers currently have.

#106 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,432 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted May 12, 2013 - 05:31 PM

i dont think this could happen. if it were to happen, i would suck mitch's dick.

Listen. We would all be ecstatic. But this just got weird. :laughing:

#107 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,055 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 05:33 PM

Why couldn't Miami just bring in CP3 for the MLE (spoiler alert, this will not happen for the Lakers, the Heat, or any other team in the league ever, CP3 is getting the max), let Bosh walk, let Wade walk, and resign Lebron to a max?  That is just as plausible as CP3 joining the Lakers, virtually guarantees a ring next season, and well, Lebron is a lot better than any 2 players the Lakers currently have.

Because they wouldn't let Wade and Bosh walk for LeBron and Chris Paul and they'd more likely go after John Wall over Chris Paul by the 2014 season for a pairing with LeBron over Chris Paul if you want to go that route of letting Wade and Bosh walk and Chris Paul wouldn't  take a paycut after paying 8 million in LA already to play one season in Miami.

Like I said, he wouldn't be ring chasing at this point in his career he wants to establish himself on a franchise.

And the Miami Heat isn't an appealing place for him and an aging LeBron James who will be in his 30s while Chris Paul will be getting there.  (hence why they want to keep the Miami heat CORE together, because that CORE still works with LeBron in his 30s if Bosh remains even with a Wade on the edge of his career)  

The Miami Heat isn't gonna bet the farm to sign Chris Paul and LeBron to a max in 2014.  They're likely if they were going that route of letting Bosh and Wade go, would be trying to sign John Wall. 

So if you want to talk about who they'd "split" in terms of a pairing.

If they are going to pair LeBron with someone for the 2014 season and give that guy a MAX contract it wouldn't be for the 29 year old Chris Paul, it would be for the 23 year old John Wall.

Edited by Majesty, May 12, 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#108 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,457 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted May 12, 2013 - 05:37 PM

6 pages and counting of false hope that CP3 will be a Laker LOL

Posted Image

#109 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,418 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 05:45 PM

6 pages and counting of false hope that CP3 will be a Laker LOL

Thank our resident homer Majesty. He does fine work.

#110 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,418 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 05:49 PM

Because like I said it's more than "just winning a championship" that is the reason he'd sign to the Lakers as I stated earlier but obviously you missed it, so here.

Last time I checked you were merely guessing at what CP3 thinks of his situation. This is all completely imaginary so you haven't the slightest clue as to what CP3 truly wants. When it comes to imaginary and outlandish scenarios, you seem to think you have it all figured out.

#111 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,055 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 05:50 PM

Thank our resident homer Majesty. He does fine work.

Takes more than just me to garner 6 pages of interest ;)

#112 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,418 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 05:53 PM

Takes more than just me to garner 6 pages of interest ;)

Well, you do get responses

#113 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,055 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 06:00 PM

Last time I checked you were merely guessing at what CP3 thinks of his situation. This is all completely imaginary so you haven't the slightest clue as to what CP3 truly wants. When it comes to imaginary and outlandish scenarios, you seem to think you have it all figured out.

And you're in the same boat my friend.

I'm merely giving the reasons he "would" what the appeal is, and what's awaiting him if he does.

The appeal is that our franchise player would already be locked down(so no contract problems as to "who gets what" contract wise. He wouldn't be battling anyone else for a max like Westbrook and Durant will be.

We'd have our max, he'd get his max and our franchise "core" would be in tact. That is the appeal, that plus being a championship contender with a franchise option next to him(Dwight Howard) who has his best years ahead of him.

In Miami he'd be fighting for the max with LeBron and they'd probably sell him up the river for a shot at John Wall anyway.

Lakers offers him a chance at securement, franchise money, and longevity to end his career on.

All the Clippers can offer is money, all the Heat can offer is one year but no max contract guarantee.

Hence why imo we'd be the more favored destination as I'm sure he doesn't want to play for 3 teams in 3 years and be labeled just a ring chaser.

He puts a stamp on the franchise with Dwight as a Laker however and can finish his career here. It also doesn't require him to move again after paying up to live in LA already if he's taking a paycut anyway.

Those are the reasons we'd "appeal" to him and why if he decided to become a Laker those would probably be them.

Edited by Majesty, May 12, 2013 - 06:03 PM.

#114 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,730 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 12, 2013 - 06:49 PM

Miami can't offer Chris Paul a max contract in 2014.

LeBron isn't gonna take another paycut, and Bosh is gonna want more money.

So unless they want to lose the big three then they aren't bringing in Paul.

The reasoning that Paul would sign to the Lakers for the mMLE isn't JUST to win a championship, it's because the Lakers could offer him a max contract in 2014 after that year is up.  It's not JUST the mMLE and the lure of a championship.  There's a big BIG paycheck at the end of that rainbow.

Whereas in Miami if they tried that with Chris Paul and then gave him the max in 2014, they lose LeBron and they lose Bosh and a Miami Heat team with just an almost out of the league Wade and Chris Paul would put him in the same situation all over again which isn't appealing for him in the least.

So no, he wouldn't go to Miami ;)  

or he could go to Miami for a year and win ring and go wherever after.

#115 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,274 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted May 12, 2013 - 07:14 PM

*checks in the thread, sees that Majesty is arguing with everybody Checks out of the thread* 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#116 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,055 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 07:18 PM

or he could go to Miami for a year and win ring and go wherever after.

He isn't THAT far into his career and if he's gonna take a one year paycut it's more likely in the place he just bought his house in.

Like I said, there's more to it than "ring chasing" which ive stated over and over in this thread why Miami likely won't go after him and why their offer wouldn't be as appealing.

Him going to Miami is actually less likely.

He isn't ring chasing and there's more reasons as to why he'd sign here over Miami.

But ive gone over why multiple times in this thread I'm sure you'll find them if you look hard enough. Not gonna repeat it a fourth time ;)

*checks in the thread, sees that Majesty is arguing with everybody Checks out of the thread*

You forgot the part where you cared enough to comment :)

Edited by Majesty, May 12, 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#117 Lagunero

Lagunero

☑ Nash ☑ Howard - Win Championship ☐

• 1,617 posts
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Kareem, Shaq.

Posted May 12, 2013 - 07:27 PM

Listen. We would all be ecstatic. But this just got weird. :laughing:

:) sarcasm.

Posted Image

#118 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,432 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted May 12, 2013 - 07:44 PM

:) sarcasm.

I know haha. Forums are no fun without it.

#119 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,223 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 07:48 PM

Don't forget the NBA salary is not the only income for CP. He still makes millions in endorsments.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#120 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 12, 2013 - 07:49 PM

tumblr_mjctohUjuG1s6hrz6o1_500.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users