Photo

Is having a superstar center important in this NBA day and age?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,039 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 10, 2013 - 05:41 AM

The NBA always go through phases throughout it existant. During the 40's, 50's and even 60's when the NBA was in its infancy, centers like a George Mikan and a Bill Russel are usually pretty short. George was really only 5'9 when you think about it and so was Bill. That was Lebron James height. But those centers play like centers. They don't shoot outside and trying to be power forwards or shooters. Then in the late 60's and 70's Center became taller and bigger. The Chamberlins and Kareem and Waltons of the world coming into the league. And don't forget Willis Reed. During that time centers were important even into the 90's.  Jordan did changed the game making wing players more important but still the 90's were filled with great true centers like a Shaq, Ewing, The Dream, Alonzo and David Robinson. 

But what i see now is that there are no true centers except for Dwight Howard.  Just because you are a 6'11 or 7 footer doesn't make you a true center. Mark Gasol plays more like a power forward. Even Brook Lopez plays like a PF.  The lack of true big man in the game shows one thing. Do we really need a true superstar center as our "center piece"?   When was the last time a team won the championship with a true superstar center? It was when Shaq was dominant. Pau is not a true center, Dirk wasn't a true center. Obviously the heat doesn't have centers. And the Spurs put Dunken as center? And please don't put Bynum in that championship run the Lakers had because he wasn't the reason why lakers won those two championship though he did help a little.  So do we really need a superstar center to win a championship?  Is putting all the chips into D12 and surround him with "good players"  the right move?

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#2 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,003 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 10, 2013 - 05:50 AM

If we have mda, it won't matter what we do.

With regards to great centers or the lack thereof...maybe the quality of coaching has diminished because a lot of big men are horrible to watch offensively...including Dwight Howard. I mean what goes on in practices? Are these players being taught? Are they receptive to teaching? Can these coaches teach?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#3 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,766 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 10, 2013 - 06:13 AM

Probably not. The last center to carry a team to a chip was Shaq back when he was with us and even then he had a top 3 guard in Kobe to help him. Then before that it was Hakeem the Dream to carry his team to the chip and even then he had Drexler so he wasn't by himself. I mean when Shaq got to the chip himself on the magic he got swept by the the Rockets. I dont think a superstar center is needed, but that is good thing because if you have one your team is just that much better. However, having a superstar center in this day in and age I dont think he can be the best player on the team by far and just have role players around him to win. The center can be the best but there must be a really good second option, hence Shaq and Kobe. When a center is by far the best player the team just isnt built to beat the majority of teams in the league anymore like the magic with Dwight or when they had just shaq.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#4 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,911 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted May 10, 2013 - 06:22 AM

If you have him, and no one else does, then you try to exploit the mismatch.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#5 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,039 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 06:27 AM

The game has changed and i think most coaches don't teach centers how to play like true centers anymore.  But it also thank to MJ that he changes the game so much a lot of the guys growing up in the 90's all wanted to be like Mike. Even a 7 footer.  You see more centers shooting 20 ft jump shot and even 3 pointers if they are allowed to. 

I also agree that what Phillylaker said was on point. A center cannot be the only center piece to a team if they wishes to win the championship. So building a team around D12 is just like becoming the Orlando Magic. D12 is not and should not be the number one guy. Lets hope that KB24 comes back and be like KB24 for another year or two so we do have the number one guy and D12 the number 2 but if the Lakers plan is to put D12 as the number one guy thinking he will be like Shaq, Lakers are in more trouble than we think. The only time I see a superstar center that is the number one guy was during the Goerge Mikan and bill russell era where those guys have half of the teams points for them and they won championships. Even the Chamberlin of the world have a hard time winning championships with him being the vocal point

It is sad when you see the only true center like D12 doesn't have many offensive moves.  Shaq was dominant because he have moves. Not only did he dominate in the paint defensively, he got moves to dominate offensively. Shaq just dont dunk and have put backs. D12 got two moves and one of those moves is a dunk.  If we just needed a guy to dominate on the defensive end, we should just go out and get a power forward/center who doesnt need his shots but only care about defense. Look at Hibbert in Indiana.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#6 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,280 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted May 10, 2013 - 08:31 AM

we beat the magic and we didnt had a superstar center

times change 

we should be looking for the guy that is going to replace kobe that should be the lakers number 1 priority

Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#7 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is Bad For Chemistry

• 6,850 posts
  • Name:Walter Black
  • Fan Since:Breaking Bad
  • Fav. Laker:I am the danger

Posted May 10, 2013 - 09:18 AM

D12 sells tickets

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#8 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,919 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 10, 2013 - 09:23 AM

You dont need a superstar Center but you do need a Center who sets great screens and can play excellent Defense

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#9 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,016 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted May 10, 2013 - 09:30 AM

nope, look at the last two champs, Miami and Dallas. Miami had no center at all except Joel Anthony and Juwan Howard. Dallas had a great defensive anchor in Tyson Chandler, but he's no Superstar 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#10 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,039 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 09:43 AM

D12 sells tickets

And so is Blake Griffin. In fact, people rather see Blake more than  D12.  So what?

#11 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,144 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted May 10, 2013 - 09:46 AM

No, but if you have one you obviously have an advantage there.

#12 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,039 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 09:51 AM

Big men in the NBA right now is so over rated. Teams tend to draft a guy because he is a 7 footer but doesn't really look at how they play ball. They assumed that just because you are a 7 footer you can grab rebounds. There is an article about centers of why they suck at free throws and suck at dribbling the ball. I cant find the article but they talked about the majority of 7 footers were born into the body so they don't work as hard to get into the NBA. Because of their height and big body, they can be in the nba without learning how to do the fundamentals. It is like a pick up basketball game at park and some 7 foot guy just walking by minding his own business. All of a sudden the players asked him to join just because he is tall. They just need a big body in the middle to grab them boards. There are more centers who are bust in the NBA than any other position  and this article is a great example of why. Most of them don't even know how to play basketball really. Alot of them dont have the passion fo it. Some of them don't even know how to dribble for more than 2 minutes without fumbling.  

#13 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,320 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted May 10, 2013 - 11:25 AM

Rebounding, high percentage field goals, and interior defense are the basic building blocks to being an elite-level team. So having a superstar center remains important in today's game, but probably not as much as having a player that can flop his way to the free throw line. 

#14 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,039 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 11:59 AM

Let me rephrase my statement. A good big men is important but having a super star big men is over rated.  I rather have a Roy Hibbert, a Tyson Chandler, a javale mcgee and a Jokim noah that don't mind banging and rebounding but scoring is not their priority. Sure they wont be a superstar but if they are really good at what they do, they can be a Dennis Rodman and still be a hall of famer.

Now the Lakers issue is we will have to rely on a super star center who wants to be the leading scorer someday and probably get a "good" wing player.  After Kobe retires, there's not many superstar shooting guards in the game anymore.  We will be filled with great point guards who will be move to shooting guards and great small forwards who probably be in the shadows of Lebron and Durant forever.  So enjoy Kobe while it last because who knows when we will see another Micheal Jordan like player.  Kobe is the closest in terms of similarity. And no, Lebron is a different position so stop with the comparison.

#15 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,774 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted May 10, 2013 - 12:59 PM

I don't think you need a superstar center in this day in age to win a championship, but I don't think having one would hurt you.

The thing that I like about D12, aside from his defense, is his rebounding. I think rebounding is sometimes overlooked, but it is defense and rebounds that win a lot of ball games.

That being said, there are a lot of atheletic guards and forwards that change the game drastically. You don't need to feed it deep into the paint when you have freak players who can take it in, shoot, etc.

But running it through the paint via a superstar center and playing off of that isn't a bad idea either.

I think it boils down to strategy.

Edited by -Wade-, May 10, 2013 - 01:02 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#16 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,075 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 10, 2013 - 05:09 PM

I don't believe so.. Very few teams have them now. Look at Hebert in Indy.
Posted Image

#17 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,911 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted May 10, 2013 - 07:11 PM

we beat the magic and we didnt had a superstar center
times change 
we should be looking for the guy that is going to replace kobe that should be the lakers number 1 priority

We had Pau. Call him what you want.

Superstar is probably overstated in the op. "Solid", or "effective" are probably better terms.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#18 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,504 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 10, 2013 - 07:59 PM

In this "day and age" NO.

But the only reason is because their is just so little competition and talent within that position. (D12, Bynum, Marc Gasol, Chandler, Al Jeff)

Yeah they're are Centers, but their style of play have altered dramatically compared to what it once was and its primarily due to the new breed of strong and athletic point guards whom now basically are the LOOKED FOR players.

Having a dominate Center can be a great advantage, although if you don't have a solid point guard to guard the opposing teams athletic PG, you're at a slight disadvantage. (Something the Lakers have not had)

Another huge influence that has negatively impacted the Center position as well as basketball in general is physical play...  Basketball has evolved to a somewhat sensitive sport in some ways and Refs rarely allow for two players to get physical down low.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users