3 replies to this topic

#1 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,338 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 09, 2013 - 01:43 AM

Regardless of what the Bulls do in these playoffs, i think there is a good chance their roster will get an overhaul this summer. I think we should help them out: 

Pau Gasol for Luol Deng and Kirk Hinrich.

Why Lakers do it: Lakers save a little bit of money (1 million) and get two perimeter defenders who can shoot 3s, which they need. Plug Deng into the SF position and amnesty Metta. Both Hinrich and Deng are FAs following next season, so it wont affect the 2014 Free Agency.

Why Chicago do it: Chicago are getting back Rose, which will limit Hinrichs minutes. With Pau they get an upgrade over Boozer, who they can amnesty and then get under the cap (!), and with Pau, Noah and Gibson, they'll have a strong defensive and very versatile frontcourt. They will miss Deng, but with the emergence of Jimmy Butler, they can use the full midlevel on a SG as well as re-sign Nate Robinson. 

Alternatives:

Rip Hamilton instead of Hinrich. Only 1 million is guaranteed in Hamilton's final year, so he could be waived which would save the Lakers about 3-4 million (or about 10-15 million in luxury tax).

Include Taj Gibson. I'm not sure either team would do this, since LA doesn't want to commit longer than 2014. However, considering his price I think Gibson may be good enough for them to consider it. This, of course, is perhaps the reason why Chicago wouldn't do it. On the other hand, this would give Chicago a lot of options going forward - including giving them enough cap-room to make a run at a MAX deal in the 2014 Free Agency. 

#2 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,519 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted May 09, 2013 - 11:46 AM

When I put that trade into the trade machine it failed. 

http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=c4vgbwl

This is because the bulls took the bi annual non tax payers exception to get a FA but this might not count for next year. Th trade machine may not be updated yet. 

But either way I dont see the bulls wanting pau over deng and losing Hinrich 

#3 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,338 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 10, 2013 - 04:49 AM

When I put that trade into the trade machine it failed. 

http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=c4vgbwl

This is because the bulls took the bi annual non tax payers exception to get a FA but this might not count for next year. Th trade machine may not be updated yet. 

But either way I dont see the bulls wanting pau over deng and losing Hinrich 

It wont work in the trade machine until after the 1st of july.

The Bulls like both Deng and Hinrich. But this trade will help them in the long run without giving up much.

Jimmy Butler does exactly what Deng does, but cost only a fraction and Rose will replace almost all of Hinrich's minutes. They can get another cheaper wing in Free Agency and since this trade will take them under the cap (when they amnesty Boozer) they have the full mid-level exception.

#4 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 11, 2013 - 02:53 PM

I could see the Bulls wanting Pau.  They have to find a way to get around or out from under Boozer.  The guy is so unpredictable and a massive liability on defense.  Yes, more than Pau, who is a good defender if he plays in right position.

Interesting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users