#1 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,773 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 08, 2013 - 04:28 PM

Contrary to everyone that was saying Steve Nash's season was a failure here, an article from our very own Pincus shows a bit of a different side

Steve Nash was effective in revised role

75627780.jpg

By Eric Pincus

Steve Nash was acquired last summer by the Lakers in a trade with the Phoenix Suns. After 16 seasons in the league, Nash came to the Lakers as a future Hall of Fame point guard but he gradually evolved into a shooting guard next to Kobe Bryant.

Injuries complicated the season as the 39-year-old Nash missed significant stretches. A collision with Damian Lillard of the Portland Trail Blazers saw Nash sit from the second half of that game on Oct. 31 to Dec. 22 as he dealt with a leg fracture and nerve issues.

Through his first 16 games after coming back from the injury, he averaged 9.2 assists a game, but the Lakers won just five of 16 games (31.3%).

After a Jan. 23 loss to the Memphis Grizzlies, the team held a meeting that led to Coach Mike D'Antoni shifting his offensive philosophy. The pace slowed significantly as Bryant took over as the offense's primary initiator.

One of the team's biggest victories of the season was at home against the Toronto Raptors, a wild overtime finish won by way of a number of Bryant heroics. Nash had 22 points on seven-of-13 shooting from the field and four-of six from three-point range -- but just two assists. Bryant had 41 points and 12 assists.

Full Article here: http://www.latimes.c...0,2790563.story

Edited by Majesty, May 08, 2013 - 04:28 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#2 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,726 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted May 08, 2013 - 04:37 PM

Still don't know why people are so hard on him, given that he was injured most of the time, or playing hurt.

#3 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,736 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted May 08, 2013 - 06:22 PM

He did fine. Dantoni tried to kill the old man by making him run the point

#4 had

had

Rookie

• 18 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted May 08, 2013 - 06:56 PM

Well, Steve Nash.  I think it’s clear the Lakers covet an elite point guard, couldn’t get Paul, so they brought in Nash.  On the face of it, you might think, yes!  Steve Nash!   Then, in the first week of the season, he breaks his leg when a guy runs up his backside.  Broke his leg.  That’s crazy.  Back spasms, hip spasms, broken leg, Nash is a wreck.  He’s very likely all we’ll have for a starting 1 next year, so I hope for the best, but the grind of the NBA season is clearly too much for his body.  I say clearly.

If you want to put Nash at the 2 and let Kobe facilitate, then you are, in my opinion, defeating the whole purpose of bringing Nash to the Lakers, and the whole mindset of bringing an elite 1 to the Lakers.  You get Kobe backing down from the elbow to the low post with the entire Lakers team on the weak side waiting to react to what Kobe does – it is the opposite of what was supposed to happen, and it’s not a winning offensive strategy in the long run.  Kobe handles the ball too much, Kobe has to carry too much responsibility, Kobe has to pull the entire organization out of the abyss, and Nash has hip spasms and can't play anyway.

The Lakers, I’m confident, did not bring Nash to LA to spot up, and while that may be an effective way to utilize Nash at this point in his career, it is not, in my opinion, a recipe for success next year.  With Nash on the books for what, $9m next year, there are no other options that I can see, and while Nash is a potentially valuable, potentially critical piece to a championship team, it’s not on this team.  No way.  He’s too brittle, and too old, and the signing did not work out.  The Lakers need too much from him.  The Lakers need too much from all of their aging pieces.

I heard D’Antoni saying something in his last press conference, after the sweep by the Spurs (who I hope are washed into San Francisco Bay by the Warriors), that Nash would train so hard to get back to shape  next year that ‘it wouldn’t be funny’.

Well, Mike, it’s not funny, and you can’t pin any hopes to Nash.  And if you do, bless you.

#5 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,431 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 08, 2013 - 07:20 PM

It should be interesting to see how he plays next season when healthy. I expect him to be a much more consistent shooter. He was a good shooter this season, but whether it was the injuries or not, he missed a LOT of easy shots that he would normally make.

But that has always been our curse: acquire GREAT shooters and then they turn cold. Examples of this are Radmanavic, Kapono, Blake, Meeks, and Troy Murphy.

#6 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 08, 2013 - 07:24 PM

Trade him for Trey Burke we need an Athletic point who can hit 3 and defend

#7 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,773 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 07:48 PM

It should be interesting to see how he plays next season when healthy. I expect him to be a much more consistent shooter. He was a good shooter this season, but whether it was the injuries or not, he missed a LOT of easy shots that he would normally make.

But that has always been our curse: acquire GREAT shooters and then they turn cold. Examples of this are Radmanavic, Kapono, Blake, Meeks, and Troy Murphy.

Thing is Nash was still 50/40/90 despite the injuries.

Well he was 49.7/40+/90+ 

But still., I think he's being taken for granted a lot.

I'd rather have Nash off ball scoring 20 with 2 assists than I would having him facilitating and finishing with 12/7

Edited by Majesty, May 08, 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#8 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,431 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted May 08, 2013 - 08:03 PM

Thing is Nash was still 50/40/90 despite the injuries.

Well he was 49.7/40+/90+ 

But still., I think he's being taken for granted a lot.

I'd rather have Nash off ball scoring 20 with 2 assists than I would having him facilitating and finishing with 12/7

His numbers were still great, but he missed quite a few automatic shots by his standards. The guy never was 100% healthy all season, so I still believe that next season will be different.

#9 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,391 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 08, 2013 - 08:12 PM

Ehhhh...he was average. I thought he was going to be much better than he was. Maybe I had too high of expectations.

#10 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,038 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted May 08, 2013 - 08:54 PM

He did ok for what his role dictated. He was an efficient contributor. But, the Lakers gave up way too much for him. And when you consider his awful defense, he's a net negative. Again, not his fault since he's never been able to play defense. The Lakers should've built a good enough defensive team that could hide his problems on defense. It's more the Lakers fault for going after him, giving him a big contract, and him not really fitting in.

Posted Image

#11 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,423 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted May 08, 2013 - 09:12 PM

He was brought here to be an elite PG who would take the playmaking duties out of Kobe's hands and keep him more fresh.

If he is going to be playing shooting guard, and Kobe is going to be the one playmaking and having the ball, then it defeats the purpose of even having Steve Nash on your team.

Let's not forget that this man couldn't guard a 3 year old

#12 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,773 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 09:28 PM

He was brought here to be an elite PG who would take the playmaking duties out of Kobe's hands and keep him more fresh.

If he is going to be playing shooting guard, and Kobe is going to be the one playmaking and having the ball, then it defeats the purpose of even having Steve Nash on your team.

Let's not forget that this man couldn't guard a 3 year old

Let's also not forget that Kobe's running mate for a majority of his Lakers career and success was Derek Fisher at the point guard position used as a spot up shooter.

You replace Fisher with Nash, who would you rather be the one taking wide open threes or moving off an occasional pick and roll?

If Kobe's role is going to be the the same(and unless Chris Paul was the point guard it should NEVER change) then having Steve Nash as a replacement for Derek Fisher is a major upgrade in terms of shooting accuracy.

Nash isn't useless as a spot up shooter.  He'd probably be one of the most dangerous ones in the league.

#13 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,423 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted May 09, 2013 - 12:34 AM

The Lakers didn't sign Nash and give away a draft pick and a bunch of money for Nash to be a spot up shooter

#14 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,018 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted May 09, 2013 - 01:15 AM

He needs to look for his offense more next year, and keep being a spot up 3 point shooter and allow Kobe to facilitate instead. 

#15 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,312 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted May 09, 2013 - 04:47 AM

Nash never was the problem, but going forward playing in a D'Antoni system, he may be. Also, as long as we dont have a defensive stopper who can cover up for his limitiations, he is going to be a liability on that end as well. 

#16 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,656 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 09, 2013 - 05:51 AM

I know something about bias.

Guys are biased against Nash, who defends much better than given credit for.

It's messed up that Nash, Pau, Dwight all tried playing hurt and that messed up the season in the end.

#17 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,092 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted May 09, 2013 - 05:53 AM

this article means nothing to eye test = nash was worthless

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#18 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 07:36 AM

The Lakers didn't sign Nash and give away a draft pick and a bunch of money for Nash to be a spot up shooter

THIS

#19 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,656 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 09, 2013 - 07:59 AM

Lakers brought in Steve Nash to be a perfect back court mate to Kobe.

What exactly did you expect?

Assists?

Thats the dumbest way to judge a player's effectiveness in the offense.

Now, did we expect Nash to turn the ball over as much as he did? No/

Did you expect a shut down defender?

50/40/90 as a double digit scorer is wht you want from a guy playing off Kobe AND Dwight.

those are superstars.  Nash is a veteran shooter. I 'm not sure you have a true grasp of basketball, or you want a player like Curry . Because as far as FITTING with Kobe, a guy like Rondo would reduce Kobe to a spot up shooter, and honestly, Kobe is not a good spot up shooter, it's not a role that best suits him or the Team. 

We need Kobe to be our LeBron, and I think the only teams that need aggressive point guards, or those with players who can't score on their own.

My one critique to Nash' play was , it was obvious that he was accustomed to creating shots for others, whereas you don't need to do that for our starters. frankly, our bench would benefit from that type of play, but Nash came back too early, and tried to play through injuries and still if you think THAT was the problem, you are lacking the understanding of the game.

There were points in the season, where I thought Nash was bringing more value than Dwight.

For some odd reason, we looked better when 1 of our big 4 was out.

Like Nash,kobe, Pau

or Kobe Pau and Dwight.

#20 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 08:01 AM

Kobe can play off the ball and prefers it... He just needs a PG that's not going to TURN THE BALL OVER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users