96 replies to this topic

#81 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,549 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted May 07, 2013 - 05:26 PM

Alvin Gentry can coach a talented team to a respectable record and playoff run. His teams in the past have been bad, but the 2009-2010 Phoenix Suns were really good. What's most important is that he can coach a defensive system in a way that MDA will actually accept.

That Suns team played absolutely no defense.

#82 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,549 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted May 07, 2013 - 05:28 PM

The thing that angers me about this is that we are seriously trying so hard to become the Suns. That pisses me off.

#83 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 07, 2013 - 05:38 PM

I don't really care about the assistants themselves in terms of what they'll do under D'Antoni because no assistant will be able to cover up D'Antoni as a coach. Mike Woodson had no effect on the Knicks until D'Antoni got fired and he took over as coach.

Posted Image

#84 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,401 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 07, 2013 - 05:48 PM

I don't think the criticism is entirely about him letting these people go. But rather it's that he's letting them go without showing any inkling of wanting to hire a better assistant, and his track record with competent assistants (as I mentioned earlier with Thibodeau) isn't great either. Rather most of what I've been reading is that he wants to cut down the size of his staff. And before anyone says anything, Alvin Gentry isn't going to do jack as a defensive coordinator, I'm sorry (and if he's here for offense it won't help much either).

If it were Phil, he would have brought his guys along with him, like Rambis, Winter (back in the day), Shaw, etc, people who we knew were accomplished or at least knew how to run an offense/defense. Not Dan [expletive]ing D'Antoni. 

I understand what you're saying but fact is we don't know what D'Antoni is planning on doing with his staff. We heard about him wanting to hire a defensive assistant and the only two names linked have been Gentry and McMillian.  It's still very early in the process and more names will emerge, some that we will like and some that we will dislike.

And as for Phil, of course he would have brought his guys, just like any coach does when he gets a job with a new team.  It just so happens his guys are accomplished obviously because the track record.

If we were to hire Jerry Sloan for example, he would bring his guys from Utah that he is familiar with.  Would you be against that because they aren't accomplished?

Compared to Jackson's staff, any other staff is not going to be as accomplished.  D'Antoni could have been an ass when he arrived in LA, fired everyone, and brought in his guys but that wasn't the right thing to do. He brought his brother in because that's one of his assistants and it gives him someone that he is familiar with.  If I remember correctly, D'Antoni said after being hired he had to meet with all the assistants because he didn't know them.

I just think the criticism is coming a bit too early.  Once we know who the staff actually is, then we can actually judge how good or bad it is.  Going off of media reports that has mentioned just two names is jumping the gun quite a bit.

#85 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,286 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 07, 2013 - 07:29 PM

I actually give the dummy some props for allowing both Bernie and Chuck stay for the season... He could've cut them as soon as he got in.
I dislike the releases, but I wouldn't expect any other coach to do it differently. We shall see who will be brought in. It probably wouldn't matter, he can't do no right by more than half the Laker fans anyway. Lol
Posted Image

#86 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,889 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 07, 2013 - 07:42 PM

I remember when Phil's Lakers had a 3-1 lead on D'Antoni's Suns... who was out-coached?

Did Phil coach Smush to steal a ball late from the MVP, and Kobe to hit 2 amazing shots?

D'Antoni has proved NOTHING either way.

People talk about this roster, but D'AAntoni never had a great roster this season, and when he had a good roster, they went 28-12.

Now Mike Brown had EVERYONE in pre-season and we got beat down every game he was here this season, minus 1. We didn't even COMPETE

#87 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,552 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted May 07, 2013 - 09:19 PM

man this is gonna be a long offseason full of a lot of bs.

I already miss staying up watching the lakers play and kobe tearing teams up.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#88 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 09:39 PM

- Lakers went 10-9 against playoff teams in their stretch to end the season. It's an improvement, but it's not really indicative of a very good team. They mostly took advantage of horrible teams, who they went 18-3 against.

- Those Suns teams were MUCH more talented than those Laker teams. Those Suns being down 3-1 against the Lakers in the first place was pretty bad. Let's not forget how much the Knicks improved after Woodson replaced D'Antoni too.

The Lakers weren't the only team dealing with injuries. Dallas dealt with a fair share of injuries too. Dirk missed 29 games, Marion missed 15, Kaman missed 16, Wright missed 18, and Brand missed 10. If they were healthier, maybe the Lakers miss the playoffs altogether.

You have to manage the team in order to avoid injuries and be able to field a competitive team with whoever is healthy. The Bulls are what a team should look like who is injured. They're not the same team, but they're still able to compete most nights because they have a good system in place.

Edited by Japago, May 07, 2013 - 09:46 PM.

Posted Image

#89 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,979 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 08, 2013 - 07:43 AM

It wasn't being out-coached, the Lakers took the Suns lightly and that Suns roster was flat out more talented than the Lakers at that point.

The mere fact that you think at any point D'Antoni could out-coach Phil Jackson is absolutely insane.  D'Antoni caught lightning in a bottle with that Phoenix team.  It was all about Nash at his peak.  ANY coach could've done what he did there.  The proof of the matter is the steep decline they took immediately afterward.  if D'Antoni was that much of a quality coach the Suns never would've considered letting him go.

This Lakers team went 28-12 because Kobe decided to throw away what D'Antoni was doing (as evidenced by D'Antoni admitting that the team abandoned whatever "system" he thinks he has.  They were running double post offense and a modified triangle with Nash at the 2 guard.  That's when the Lakers went on their run.  Without that run the Lakers miss the playoffs.  That was all due to Kobe getting fed up and taking the reigns away from a lame duck coach in D'Antoni.  MDA had absolutely zero to do wit hthe Lakers run.  He sat quiet on the sidelines and you could even see in the huddles that he wasn't speaking half as much the players were with each other.

Once Kobe backed off of that, for reasons unknown, the team came right back down Earth.

Weak try.

#90 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 08, 2013 - 09:25 AM

I remember when Phil's Lakers had a 3-1 lead on D'Antoni's Suns... who was out-coached?

Did Phil coach Smush to steal a ball late from the MVP, and Kobe to hit 2 amazing shots?

D'Antoni has proved NOTHING either way.

People talk about this roster, but D'AAntoni never had a great roster this season, and when he had a good roster, they went 28-12.

Now Mike Brown had EVERYONE in pre-season and we got beat down every game he was here this season, minus 1. We didn't even COMPETE

11 vs 0

Over

#91 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,552 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted May 08, 2013 - 12:28 PM

I only care about his new additions to the coaching staff. they better be good.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#92 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 10:31 PM

It wasn't being out-coached, the Lakers took the Suns lightly and that Suns roster was flat out more talented than the Lakers at that point.

The mere fact that you think at any point D'Antoni could out-coach Phil Jackson is absolutely insane.  D'Antoni caught lightning in a bottle with that Phoenix team.  It was all about Nash at his peak.  ANY coach could've done what he did there.  The proof of the matter is the steep decline they took immediately afterward.  if D'Antoni was that much of a quality coach the Suns never would've considered letting him go.

This Lakers team went 28-12 because Kobe decided to throw away what D'Antoni was doing (as evidenced by D'Antoni admitting that the team abandoned whatever "system" he thinks he has.  They were running double post offense and a modified triangle with Nash at the 2 guard.  That's when the Lakers went on their run.  Without that run the Lakers miss the playoffs.  That was all due to Kobe getting fed up and taking the reigns away from a lame duck coach in D'Antoni.  MDA had absolutely zero to do wit hthe Lakers run.  He sat quiet on the sidelines and you could even see in the huddles that he wasn't speaking half as much the players were with each other.

Once Kobe backed off of that, for reasons unknown, the team came right back down Earth.

Weak try.

:clap2:

Posted Image

#93 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 11:01 AM

Hmmmm

Actually, it was more up to the father than the son, with Jerry still in charge in those years. Jim didn’t officially take over until 2011—after the Warriors added West–taking the lead role in the hiring of Mike Brown.

Jerry Buss’s legacy is so sterling, it’s hardly an attack to note that he didn’t get them all right. Nevertheless, Jim didn’t appoint himself. Jerry did that. Jerry may have thought that having West around, even in a merely advisory capacity, would crowd Jim out. Or it may not have occurred to Jerry at all.

[…]

When Jim Buss fell for Brown in their sitdown at the pre-draft camp in Minneapolis, the Lakers knew he was West’s pick to fill the Warriors’ vacancy. That was why they slammed the deal home so quickly, and why the price got to $4.5 million a year, more than they’re paying Mike D’Antoni.

Unfortunately for the Lakers, Brown was either a victim of circumstances, or proof that West doesn’t get them all right, either.

http://sports.yahoo....-184125343.html

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#94 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,401 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 11:06 AM

That's interesting

#95 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,889 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 10, 2013 - 09:53 PM

That 3-1 Suns team wasn't MUCh more talented. Without Amare it was 

Kobe vs Nash

Lamar vs Marion

Luke vs Diaw

Kwame vs Kurt

Cook vs Tim Thomas

Smush vs Barbosa

That was supposed to go seven.

The thing is Kwame was a low IQ player, s was Smush, and they ended up taking advantage of that. They weren't much more talented than us THAt particular year.

the next season, they were.

Not only did Amare return, but Smush regressed immensely.

#96 nikolatesla

nikolatesla

Rookie

• 391 posts
  • Name:Aykut
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted May 11, 2013 - 12:05 PM

Cook vs Tim Thomas

Don't write that name. It still hurts.

#97 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,379 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 11, 2013 - 12:43 PM

^cook or tim thomas? Both names hurt, if Kwame doesn't stupidly bite on that pump fake the Lakers likely win the series 4-2.. But he did and Thomas made the wide open 3. Cook was inconsistent while manacuring his face.

Both names hurt.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users