96 replies to this topic

#61 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,756 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Kobe Fish Fox Horry

Posted May 07, 2013 - 01:02 PM

Sure, get rid of the coach that actually had some success with the '12-'13 Lakers and the last remaining assistant from Phil's championship staff.  That makes total sense...

2zi2dsm.jpg

"I don't want to be remembered, I want to be forgotten..."

-George Costanza, Seinfeld

#62 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,074 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted May 07, 2013 - 01:09 PM

Like as West Coast said on Twitter,"If it were Phil and not D’Antoni changing the staff, no one would be saying a damn thing"

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#63 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,390 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted May 07, 2013 - 01:14 PM

we dont need these extra coaches around cuzz Super Mike got it all covered

#64 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,109 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 07, 2013 - 01:46 PM

I don't even know why Bernie and Chuck is on the staff anyway when we know that Kobe and Steve Nash is the assistant coach. Heck probably be a better team if we fire MDA and let Kobe and Steve coach the team instead.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#65 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,034 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 07, 2013 - 01:48 PM

The reason I and maybe other people here are pissed is not just because he's letting go valuable assistants. He's been known to perpetuate his stubborn attitude in this manner. 

Remember this is the same guy that refused to have Tom Thibodeau be his defensive coordinator just because his ego was too big. If that's not a dumbass move I don't know what is. He literally just had to sit on his ass and let Thibodeau coach a stellar defense, but he wouldn't even do that much. It also forced him out of New York. If it's not causing him to want to reduce the size his already subpar coaching staff and keep less competent coaches on board, I definitely have a valid reason to be concerned. 

As per the Phil Jackson comment, remember he's the one who hired Chuck Person in the first place. He never made dumb decisions like this. He accepted Rambis to be his defensive coordinator too. 

Edited by bfc1125roy, May 07, 2013 - 01:49 PM.

#66 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,929 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 02:22 PM

John Ireland said Alvin Gentry will be an Assistant coach for the Lakers. Eh I dont know about this

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#67 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,592 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 07, 2013 - 02:23 PM

^ They have familiarity.

But it really doesn't matter to me who is the coach's assistant, who matters to me is who is going to be the defensive assistant.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#68 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,381 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted May 07, 2013 - 02:25 PM

Like as West Coast said on Twitter,"If it were Phil and not D’Antoni changing the staff, no one would be saying a damn thing"

There's a difference between what's tolerated from Phil, who actually knows what he's doing as shown by his 11 rings, and what's tolerated from D'Antoni, who is already severely incompetent.

Let's drop the whole double standard conspiracies. D'Antoni is not in Phil's league. They don't even play the same sport.
EAT
SLEEP
CONQUER
REPEAT

#69 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 07, 2013 - 02:30 PM

John Ireland said Alvin Gentry will be an Assistant coach for the Lakers. Eh I dont know about this

He's somebody I can see the Lakers letting coach on an interim basis for awhile.

Posted Image

#70 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,090 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 03:27 PM

Phil can do whatever the hell he wants.

Why?

Because he is a PROVEN WINNER.

D'Antoni on the other hand hasn't proved anything. Nada. Zero.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#71 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 23,074 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 03:30 PM

There's a difference between what's tolerated from Phil, who actually knows what he's doing as shown by his 11 rings, and what's tolerated from D'Antoni, who is already severely incompetent.

Let's drop the whole double standard conspiracies. D'Antoni is not in Phil's league. They don't even play the same sport.

how is it a double standard?

#72 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,592 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 04:26 PM

It's not the double standard it's the fact that people hate any and every decision before even seeing what the result is going to be or who is replacing them.

We all wanted Bernie to stay but we knew if Mike Brown wanted him in Cleveland with him that's where he'd be.

And not a darn person has mentioned Chuck Person all year, nor has really anyone mentioned him in the defensive assistant thread. 

So what it looks like is "Oh i've found something else to complain about D'antoni for!" 

I mean people hate that he bought a home in California.

There comes a point where it's just perceived as whining cause he isn't Phil, or just general disdain which seems petty at times when its exaggerated and unnecessary at times. .

If you want to hate on the guy, hate on his coaching style, hate on his lack of adjustments, hate his month and a half of Nash ball.

But hating the guy for buying a mansion, and wishing death on him(which I've actually seen people do here) is just taking it way too far.

And now when Bernie and Persons are let go(one of which was the only person really cared about or talked about this year in Bernie) and the floodgates open for more hate before we even know who is replacing them.

Ya'll weren't singing Person's praises this season, nor last season when he was with Mike Brown, and now that he is let go he was a 'brilliant defensive mind' when all you guys have done is moan about our defense, even when Mike Brown was here, but now that he's gone suddenly our defensive mind is gone and we're gonna suffer terribly because of it...

It's stuff like that I think people that talk about a 'double standard' have a problem with or that you're reaching, when you somehow bring up a guy you haven't mentioned all season nor even in a thread about a good defensive mind Mike D'antoni could hire or go to.  Only when he was let go did he become a 'defensive mind' you appreciated, and he only became that so you could state it as reason to hate D'antoni.   But the funny thing is barely anyone mentioned the guy at all until he was let go.  That's why it seems petty.

But it's not a double standard in my opinion, it's just people finding another reason to reach out and latch on to hate for D'antoni.

Hating on his coaching style or deficiencies is fine.  But hating on the guy for shrinking his staff(which he said he'd do, and it's not even his coaching staff it was Mike Brown's, and he DIDN'T have to keep them the rest of the season either but he did) even before we even know who he's replacing them with, and wishing death on him and hating on him and creating a thread TO hate on him for buying a house? 

Come on now, we're better than that. We should be, anyway.

Edited by Majesty, May 07, 2013 - 04:31 PM.

#73 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,537 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted May 07, 2013 - 04:39 PM

we hate him cause he sucks and can't coach for [expletive].

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#74 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 23,074 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 04:45 PM

I hate him too more than anybody on here, but don't tell me you'll react this way if Phil was here and he let them go 

#75 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 04:45 PM

Not really surprised.

Don't really get the criticism that D'Antoni is getting, these aren't his assistants, they were Mike Brown's.

If Phil came in and let some of the assistants go, no one would be saying anything. As head coach, you get to bring in your own staff.

#76 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 23,074 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 04:53 PM

Not really surprised.

Don't really get the criticism that D'Antoni is getting, these aren't his assistants, they were Mike Brown's.

If Phil came in and let some of the assistants go, no one would be saying anything. As head coach, you get to bring in your own staff.

People forget that, sadly 

#77 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 818 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 04:57 PM

Alvin Gentry can coach a talented team to a respectable record and playoff run. His teams in the past have been bad, but the 2009-2010 Phoenix Suns were really good. What's most important is that he can coach a defensive system in a way that MDA will actually accept.

#78 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,592 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 04:57 PM

Alvin Gentry can coach a talented team to a respectable record and playoff run. His teams in the past have been bad, but the 2009-2010 Phoenix Suns were really good. What's most important is that he can coach a defensive system in a way that MDA will actually accept.

if it wasn't for Ron, they may have given us a BIG time scare.

One of the funniest endings ever

WTF ARE YOU DOING RON!?!?!?!?!?

2 mins later

OMG THANK YOU RON!!!! 

late for practice the next morning =P

Edited by Majesty, May 07, 2013 - 04:58 PM.

#79 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 05:04 PM

I'm one of the many that want D'Antoni out of here, but since he's 99.9% going to be our coach to start next season, I'm supportive of him as long as he does three things:

1) Bring an actual defensive assistant

2) Adjust his system to his players, not adjust the players to his system

3) Stop running our players into the ground

He does those three things, I'll be content with him and not hate him so much.

#80 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,034 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted May 07, 2013 - 05:19 PM

Not really surprised.

I don't think the criticism is entirely about him letting these people go. But rather it's that he's letting them go without showing any inkling of wanting to hire a better assistant, and his track record with competent assistants (as I mentioned earlier with Thibodeau) isn't great either. Rather most of what I've been reading is that he wants to cut down the size of his staff. And before anyone says anything, Alvin Gentry isn't going to do jack as a defensive coordinator, I'm sorry (and if he's here for offense it won't help much either).

If it were Phil, he would have brought his guys along with him, like Rambis, Winter (back in the day), Shaw, etc, people who we knew were accomplished or at least knew how to run an offense/defense. Not Dan [expletive]ing D'Antoni. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users