24 replies to this topic

#21 epicwolf

epicwolf

Off The Bench

• 2,652 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 07, 2013 - 12:08 PM

Kobe will work on a good contract after next year when he is off the books. He probably wont be getting paid as much for his last contract. Dont expect Kobe to play for any other team but the Lakers. He is Lakers for life.  that is the only "restructuring" you will see from Kobe when his current contract is over.

And yes, let it go. This off season is the lamest off season Lakers will have. They wont get any players that will make this team better. They will get rid of some people and keep the "core" guys together with Mike D Antoni as coach weather you like it or not. We are stuck with this for another season. I am looking forward to it.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#22 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 823 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 07, 2013 - 12:29 PM

I suggested that to Eric Pincus last summer and he disagreed with me pretty vehemently.

If Pincus is right than let's all enjoy this last season of Kobes career. Ain't no way in hell the Lakers or any team pay 30 mill + let alone 20 on a 36 year old who has just come back from a achillies injury the previous season. I understand Kobes ego would find it hard to take less money but he has to be realistic with the new CBA. This ain't Baseball. If he wants to win another ring he better do it next year because he won't do it after that without taking a paycut.

#23 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 768 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 13, 2013 - 12:57 PM

Yeah dude, let it go, it won't happen.

Of all things to be re-structured to win, Kobe's contract isn't it. No player has done it in the NBA and it certainly won't start now.

Didn't say it would. Hence, the hypothetical part. 

Real Deal summed it up though. 

#24 Bynumite17

Bynumite17

Huh?

• 6,322 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 01:12 PM

While clearly restructuring is not on the table, I disagree with the sentiment that a player should not consider it, because he has "earned" the right to make as much as possible.

If restructuring a deal is the difference between adding a key component, or not, then why should a player not consider it?

What is 35 year old Kobe most interested in? Squeezing as much money as possible out of the Lakers, or winning a championship? If the two are not mutually exclusive, then yes, he should consider sacrificing dollars if it will help him win a sixth ring.

Even the trifecta in Miami took a little less than the max in order to help facilitate putting that team together. It's the smart thing to do.

What people forget about the Miami situation is that yes, they did take "cuts"... But how much of their contract is getting taxed in Miami?

Posted Image

#25 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 3,941 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted May 14, 2013 - 06:46 AM

Kobe has 5 already vs MAlone 0fer. But in hindsight yes Kobe is thirsty due to his wheel chair pride & greed. Spurs actually know how to do player development so its key for them to have a roster full of solid mix of players to compeat (giving big 3 leeway to take smaller $ especially since they dont care about being marquee keys). Lakers never folow that MO. they stick to 8-9 man at most roster with 2 star headlines 2 quality role players & fillers. no player development & no care for young talent on the roster. different philosophy so far Lakers angle is better compared to Spurs unless of course they win this season then its even.

Right. Is Kobe thirsty for a ring or is he thirsty for the largest possible pay day?

As far as Parker and Duncan, nowhere did I insinuate that they were worth 30 million. But, they did take less than they could've gotten in order to help the team. That is the principle at play here. Not specific dollar totals.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users