There have to be people that want to play

#82 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,507 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted May 07, 2013 - 10:27 PM

this is like finding a 10th man so we can play 5 on 5 at 24 hr fit on late nights!

#83 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,571 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted May 07, 2013 - 10:29 PM

this is like finding a 10th man so we can play 5 on 5 at 24 hr fit on late nights!

Haha, so true.
iyjywo.jpg

#84 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,818 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 07, 2013 - 10:36 PM

So....am I up?

#85 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,571 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 10:41 PM

2 options

Move up the next picks (Laker and Windu) and put whoever steps in last. Should buy time to find a replacement. I sent out 1 invite, so hopefully he joins.

Or

Roll with 15, 1st gets a bye
iyjywo.jpg

#86 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,805 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 07, 2013 - 10:49 PM

2 options
Move up the next picks (Laker and Windu) and put whoever steps in last. Should buy time to find a replacement. I sent out 1 invite, so hopefully he joins.
Or
Roll with 15, 1st gets a bye

That's a good option for now

Move new guy to pick 16

I think 16 would be much better then 15

#87 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,571 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 10:56 PM

My only problem is that Laker and Windu are spaced out between their consecutive picks. Especially Windu.

If they don't have a problem, we can do that and they can pick right now.
iyjywo.jpg

#88 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,818 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 11:05 PM

I don't have any issue, I'll be on for the next hour with whatever you decide. I don't think Windu will check in until tomorrow morning at the earliest though.

And I say that we definitely stick with 16. Any less and complications will arise with seedings and match-ups and whatnot. Just keep it simple.

#89 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,571 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 11:11 PM

Okay, go ahead and make your pick.

I will move you into the 14th spot and that should wrap it up until Windu signs on I guess.

Up to him if he wants to go 15 or 16. We're going to roll with 16 players anyway.

Edited by Massacre, May 07, 2013 - 11:11 PM.

iyjywo.jpg

#90 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,818 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 11:24 PM

With the 14th pick in the 2013 All-Time League Draft, I pick Bill Walton.

Bill_Walton_Blazers.jpg?1347068134

With this kind of game, certain players whose careers were marred by injury become far more appealing. Since we're going off the premise that we can pick them at any point in their careers AND that they'll be healthy, gotta go with one of the games greatest players who's career was destroyed by injuries. Bill Walton in his prime, when healthy, was arguably a top 3 center in league history. He was transcendent and easily one of the greatest that the league had ever seen.

He's widely considered to be the best passing big man in league history (Portland ran their offense through him on their way to a title), one of the best defensive anchors the game had ever seen during the Blazers '76-77 campaign, and he had all the intangibles you could ever want. Selfless, consummate team player, and no one was better at crashing the boards and firing off outlet passes to easy scores.

I'm taking the '76-77 version of Bill Walton who led Portland to it's first and only championship:

Regular Season: 19/14/4 with 1 steal and 3.2 blocks per game

Playoffs: 18/15/5.5 with 1 steal and 3.4 blocks per game.

#91 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,037 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted May 07, 2013 - 11:26 PM

With the 14th pick in the 2013 All-Time League Draft, I pick Bill Walton.

Bill_Walton_Blazers.jpg?1347068134

With this kind of game, certain players whose careers were marred by injury become far more appealing. Since we're going off the premise that we can pick them at any point in their careers AND that they'll be healthy, gotta go with one of the games greatest players who's career was destroyed by injuries. Bill Walton in his prime, when healthy, was arguably a top 3 center in league history. He was transcendent and easily one of the greatest that the league had ever seen.

He's widely considered to be the best passing big man in league history (Portland ran their offense through him on their way to a title), one of the best defensive anchors the game had ever seen during the Blazers '76-77 campaign, and he had all the intangibles you could ever want. Selfless, consummate team player, and no one was better at crashing the boards and firing off outlet passes to easy scores.

I'm taking the '76-77 version of Bill Walton who led Portland to it's first and only championship:

Regular Season: 19/14/4 with 1 steal and 3.2 blocks per game

Playoffs: 18/15/5.5 with 1 steal and 3.4 blocks per game.

That's definitely a really interesting pick, but your reasoning makes a lot of sense. 

#92 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,133 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 11:31 PM

Sabonis > Walton

/troll

Massacre can we do something about schedule for later rounds?

#93 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,818 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 11:32 PM

That's definitely a really interesting pick, but your reasoning makes a lot of sense. 

He's definitely underrated by many NBA fans, mostly because unlike many great players (especially big men), his career was unbelievably short. However, once Portland assembled the perfect team around him, one that complimented his unique skillset as a big man, they were rolling. Until injuries did him in, he was just flat-out dominant at all levels. I mean, UCLA won 88 straight games with him at center. He was widely considered to be as great and transcendent as Kareem, but in entirely different facets of the game. Sadly, there's not enough game footage of him available, but if you ever see any tapes of the '86 Celtics where Walton played 6th man in the tail-end of his career, you can clearly see just how deft his passing ability was even in the twilight of his career.

An awesome talent with great team intangibles, perfect for the team I'm hoping to make.

#94 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,571 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 11:32 PM

Bill Walton wasn't even on my draft board. Completely overlooked him.

Were you targeting him this whole time? Or did you kind of take what you were given?

Solid pick.
iyjywo.jpg

#95 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,571 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 11:35 PM

Sabonis > Walton

/troll

Well, with this recent setback, I'm going to have to redo the entire thing. I will post an updated one tomorrow and see what I can set you up with, but it will be difficult because of the 10 hour difference.

Maybe I will extend the time for you guys. We'll see after this round finishes. Any suggestions on your part?
iyjywo.jpg

#96 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,818 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 11:38 PM

Bill Walton wasn't even on my draft board. Completely overlooked him.

Were you targeting him this whole time? Or did you kind of take what you were given?

Solid pick.

Yup, targeted him the whole time. I feel like I can argue his merits and abilities way more now that I've finished reading a few basketball books that touched upon him and his career. Far too overlooked, mostly due to that tiny window of excellence and because he won it all right before Magic/Bird with the NBA really taking off.

Needed a center who would fit the style I want to run, Walton is perfect. I can run an offense through him, count on nearly 20ppg because he had great touch around the basket, and I can rely on him to crash the boards and seal off the paint defensively. Quality centers really tail off after the first couple of picks of Kareem, Hakeem, Wilt, etc. Walton's prime was just as dominant as any of theirs, though his intangibles FAR outweighed anything he'd put out statistically.

#97 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,133 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 11:39 PM

Let me think about it.

#98 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,037 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted May 07, 2013 - 11:45 PM

He's definitely underrated by many NBA fans, mostly because unlike many great players (especially big men), his career was unbelievably short. However, once Portland assembled the perfect team around him, one that complimented his unique skillset as a big man, they were rolling. Until injuries did him in, he was just flat-out dominant at all levels. I mean, UCLA won 88 straight games with him at center. He was widely considered to be as great and transcendent as Kareem, but in entirely different facets of the game. Sadly, there's not enough game footage of him available, but if you ever see any tapes of the '86 Celtics where Walton played 6th man in the tail-end of his career, you can clearly see just how deft his passing ability was even in the twilight of his career.

An awesome talent with great team intangibles, perfect for the team I'm hoping to make.

Those are good points. I haven't seen any of his college footage and only have watched mainly finals highlights from his Portland days. The '86 Celtics tapes are more available so I knew he was a great passer for sure but couldn't quite see his anchoring abilities. I guess the availability does kind of make him a lost talent. 

#99 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,805 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 08, 2013 - 12:06 AM

Sabonis > Walton
/troll

Shhh!
Sabonis is my latr round sleeper!
Came to NBA at 31 after his body broke down and held his own vs prime Shaq

In the olympics he and a same age David Robinson went head to head a couple times

Can we pick a player like sabonis whose prime was outside of the NBA?

#100 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,818 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 12:18 AM

Shhh!
Sabonis is my latr round sleeper!
Came to NBA at 31 after his body broke down and held his own vs prime Shaq

In the olympics he and a same age David Robinson went head to head a couple times

Can we pick a player like sabonis whose prime was outside of the NBA?

Seems like it would be difficult to argue, especially since most of Sabonis' prowess is hearsay. Honestly think that because so many people underrated him for a long time that his myth grew and he became overrated at some point. People talk about Sabonis' prime as though he were some dominating force on the floor, often pointing to his "domination" of David Robinson in international play.

Here were the numbers in their two match-ups:

'86 World Championship

Robinson had 20 points, 7 rebounds, 4 blocks

Sabonis had 16 points, 13 rebounds and 4 blocks.

'88 Olympics

Robinson had 19 points, 12 rebounds, 2 steals and 2 blocks

Sabonis had 13 points, 13 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal and one block.

Hardly dominant there, they played eachother to a T.

In any case, it's your pick. As long as you make a good argument for whoever you pick, go for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users