#81 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,374 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 08, 2013 - 11:06 PM

ya i trust blake to create offense being the lone guy who can create off the dribble - when kobe and durant have shown they need help (offense gets very stagnant and inefficient. and the only way to cure that is to have more guys who can create)

this convo has been done;we're circleing back now.

Blake is a good pass first point guard who is low risk and makes few mistakes.

If his job is to find people in their sweet spots he's very good at it, ask Jamison who got a lot of shots at the rim, off cuts, and wide open because of how Blake knew to find him.

Martell can cut to the basket, shoot off the dribble and actually FINISH plays athletically.  On top of that he's a pretty good 3 point shooter(5th in the league)  so pairing him with Blake is a wonderful 1,2 punch.  And it's much needed if you're gonna have a guy not really moving off the dribble(like Meeks) at the 2 position waiting for one thing.

You saw what Sessions and Barnes was able to do. 

Blake would mesh with Webster just fine and both would benefit from each other.

It wouldn't need to be "pass the ball to Webster and he'll carry the bench" because it wouldn't have to be in order to be effective, that's why it works so well.

Unless you want to look at how well it worked out with Jamal Crawford and the Clippers, and Joe Johnson and the Nets who both tried that strategy with their bench =P  

Then maybe you'll realize having Blake PLAY the point guard on the bench like he's meant to do and making offense easier for Webster and vice versa is the way to go over the alternative of having Webster carry our bench doing everything with Blake just "there".

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#82 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,017 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted May 08, 2013 - 11:16 PM

Blake is a good pass first point guard who is low risk and makes few mistakes.

If his job is to find people in their sweet spots he's very good at it, ask Jamison who got a lot of shots at the rim, off cuts, and wide open because of how Blake knew to find him.

Martell can cut to the basket, shoot off the dribble and actually FINISH plays athletically.  On top of that he's a pretty good 3 point shooter(5th in the league)  so pairing him with Blake is a wonderful 1,2 punch.  And it's much needed if you're gonna have a guy not really moving off the dribble(like Meeks) at the 2 position waiting for one thing.

You saw what Sessions and Barnes was able to do. 

Blake would mesh with Webster just fine and both would benefit from each other.

It wouldn't need to be "pass the ball to Webster and he'll carry the bench" because it wouldn't have to be in order to be effective, that's why it works so well.

Unless you want to look at how well it worked out with Jamal Crawford and the Clippers, and Joe Johnson and the Nets who both tried that strategy with their bench =P  

Then maybe you'll realize having Blake PLAY the point guard on the bench like he's meant to do and making offense easier for Webster and vice versa is the way to go over the alternative of having Webster carry our bench doing everything with Blake just "there".

i just said that not even kobe and durant can do it alone. blake cant create all the offense off the dribble for a unit either.

i need to give you a basketball 101 course but i dont have the time. i already started and my energy is drained. this is literally like explaing the TRUTH of the game to my little cousin who only believes what his 6th grade basketball coaches teach him and the team (who only have one ball handler)

good luck to you in your life tho homie. dont feel bad that i cant talk basketball with you; i can really only talk basketball with basketball players. its just basketball; we can still be friends.lol. youre cool with me!

Edited by iDreamShake, May 08, 2013 - 11:18 PM.

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#83 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,374 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 11:22 PM

i just said that not even kobe and durant can do it alone. blake cant create all the offense off the dribble for a unit either.

i need to give you a basketball 101 course but i dont have the time. i already started and my energy is drained. this is literally like explaing the TRUTH of the game to my little cousin.

good luck to you in your life tho homie. dont feel bad that i cant talk basketball with you; i can really only talk basketball with basketball players. its just basketball; we can still be friends.lol. youre cool with me!

Dude, it's Blake's job to create offense for people off the bench -_-  That's his job with the bench unit, unless Kobe's out there then his job is off-ball.

Blake's job isn't to do it for the WHOLE game it's his job to do it depending on the lineup. 

Like I said you seem to have the two phrases mixed up.

Blake isn't carrying the load offensively, he's creating shots for others that are moving off balls or off screens.

That is what a PnR point guard like Blake does, it's what he's paid to do. 

And when Kobe is on the court, Blake's identity is to move off ball to whatever Kobe is doing.

You obviously seem to think that creating offense means that Blake would be doing "everything" for the bench.

it's quite the opposite.   Obviously you have a misunderstanding there.

I basically explained to you what a guy like Blake does and what a Pick and Roll point guard like him does on the bench. 

Unless you think Blake should throw the ball to Meeks and stand off ball while Meeks initiates the offense you should stop right there.

if Blake and Webster are on the bench unit and out there at the same time(with Nash and Kobe both sitting) it will be Webster's job to move off ball or to cut to the rim and/or set screens for Blake and move off them, it is Blake's job to read the defense and make them pay for adjustments they make or to knock down the shot if they are sagging off him.

But Blake's ultimate job is to read the defense, and Webster's would be to move off the defense so that Blake finds him at his best spots or wherever is most advantageous to what the defense is giving.

You don't just throw Webster the ball if you're Blake and stand back and say "create".. that's stupid, and it seems to be what you think it should be,

In your mind all we need is a player that Blake can throw the ball to at the top of the shot clock that will just then iso all the time and score score score.

Like I said, THIS is what The Clippers tried to do with Jamal Crawford and what the Nets tried to do with Joe Johnson and it...didn't..work when all was said and done.

For many reasons.

If you have a point guard like Blake, capable of creating offense and easy opportunities for others you use him.

And creating off the dribble doesn't mean just going into iso and carrying the unit offensively singularly.

You seem to think it does and that's where you'll forever be wrong.

Edited by Majesty, May 08, 2013 - 11:24 PM.

#84 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,017 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 11:31 PM

the "offense" you speak of; boils down to drive and kick . so all 3 wings need to be able to create off the dribble to drive.

ill quote myself again -

what plays do players initiate? - a wing player will come off a screen and spot up /or / the pick and roll. how often do these plays work to their full potential and get a wide open shot? not often. more often then not; the ball is passed from the "play initiator" to another wing to get some offense going(new "play initiator"lol) .and like i say - the offense gets going by penetrating and moving the defense (drive and kick league)

if mwp has to iso and drive so often ,with kobe in the unit ; then imagine what wing players will have to do next to blake.

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#85 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,374 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 11:33 PM

the "offense" you speak of; boils down to drive and kick . so all 3 wings need to be able to create off the dribble to drive.

ill quote myself again -

if mwp has to iso and drive so often ,with kobe in the unit ; then imagine what wing players will have to do next to blake.

MWP doesn't "have to" that's why people get upset when he does when there isn't an opening.  That's called forcing it after a broken play.

And if you're talking about players that can create a shot for themselves off a broken play then yes Webster can do that and doesn't have to be an undersized guard and can also play the 2 and the 3 and is a much better choice than Foye overall.   Which I've said from the beginning.

Anything else you got?

Edited by Majesty, May 08, 2013 - 11:35 PM.

#86 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,017 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 11:36 PM

its a drive and kick league; if no one drives then the D doesnt move and open shots arent created. if mwp doesnt drive then someone else would have to; thats why he does it(but the ball is in his hands, and the shot clock is 18 seconds passed half court) (and people get mad because hes not good at it and they rather someone else do it.it ended up in his hands alot tho, and with shot clock restrictions, he had to go.so all we can do is replace him with someone who can create better)

Edited by iDreamShake, May 08, 2013 - 11:53 PM.

#87 Scooter123

Scooter123

Rookie

• 297 posts
  • Fan Since:1966
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted May 09, 2013 - 03:45 PM

The salary cap; issue will limit player acquisitions to players making about $4mm or so.  Typically, those guys are not going to be starters, nor proven talent, but with a wise scout, one can score big for some second and third round players--or fall flat on one's face.  This is squarely in Mitch Kupchak's corner and he gets to try to buy a lot of value for not much money--a hidden gem. 

During the last few years, he hasn't proven he can scout and sign those types of players.  Blockbuster trade?  Yeah, he can do that.  But finding bargains in Walmart, not so much. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users