Photo

Lakers Need To Improve, A Lot, But Their Options Are Limited (Pg. 4)

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#81 Lemon

Lemon

Rookie

• 361 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted May 08, 2013 - 06:06 PM

Korver proved he can play defense if under a good defensive coach. Hes a Luke Walton with length, good team defense but challenged on man defense. His length helps a lot though definitely not as bad as kapono/walton. Websterr is an athletic 3pt shooter but has a reputation of being a dunce. 3rd option is Wright, but he fell off since his break out year in golden state

as long as mwp is replaced i'm happy. Any 3pt shooting swingman is basically what we're looking for.

Edited by Hit up the Post, May 08, 2013 - 06:07 PM.

#82 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,386 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 08, 2013 - 06:19 PM

Korver proved he can play defense if under a good defensive coach. Hes a Luke Walton with length, good team defense but challenged on man defense. His length helps a lot though definitely not as bad as kapono/walton. Websterr is an athletic 3pt shooter but has a reputation of being a dunce. 3rd option is Wright, but he fell off since his break out year in golden state

as long as mwp is replaced i'm happy. Any 3pt shooting swingman is basically what we're looking for.

We essentially need two SF's. A starter and a back up.  I really just don't see Metta coming back UNLESS he opts out and signs for a lot less to stay in LA.

We need an athletic wing in the worst way.  Martell Webster is my choice for the starting spot.  Off the bench, I wouldn't mind Matt Barnes for cheap.  He made an interesting comment today on the radio about how he heard that Mike Brown didn't want him back, didn't mention the Lakers not wanting him back.

#83 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,096 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 08, 2013 - 06:24 PM

Hes a Luke Walton with length

The ultimate diss

Pau Gasol is GONE

#84 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted May 08, 2013 - 07:23 PM

I want Wes Johnson

HE'S GARBAGE

#85 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,101 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 08, 2013 - 08:56 PM

We essentially need two SF's. A starter and a back up.  I really just don't see Metta coming back UNLESS he opts out and signs for a lot less to stay in LA.

We need an athletic wing in the worst way.  Martell Webster is my choice for the starting spot.  Off the bench, I wouldn't mind Matt Barnes for cheap.  He made an interesting comment today on the radio about how he heard that Mike Brown didn't want him back, didn't mention the Lakers not wanting him back.

Yep, he believed in Ebankls.  For the Princeton too.

The different direction the Lakers went was giving Ebanks his CHANCE to show that these years weren't for nothing that he's been on this team.

So in essence, we missed out on Matt Barnes, on CDR, AND on Martell Webster(after the T'wolves waived him) ALL because we were banking on and believed in Ebanks.

Who answered that faith by getting into a DUI, become the lowest rated 'worker' on the team, and being so non committal that he was not even getting playing time in garbage time! 

Edited by Majesty, May 08, 2013 - 08:57 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#86 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 11:01 PM

Interesting

https://twitter.com/...375590215073793

Hearing early projections given to GMs and owners in May have NBA salary cap rising to just $58.5 mil next season. This season: $58.044 mil

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#87 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 880 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted June 03, 2013 - 12:10 AM

So Salary Cap is pretty much staying the same then, only nearly half a mill extra lol.

#88 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 08:39 AM

https://twitter.com/...591785795117056

NBA teams being told PROJECTED luxury-tax threshold for next season:$71.6 million. Reminder: Projections not binding until full July audit

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#89 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,386 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 08:43 AM

That will be a $1.3 million raise from last season. 

#90 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,148 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted June 03, 2013 - 08:49 AM

IT IS HARD TO IMPROVE WHEN A TEAM HAVE A COACH THAT ARE CAPABLE OF STUNTING THEIR GROWTH.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#91 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 10:47 AM

The CP3 veto really effed us over. How are the Hornets any better now than they were in 2011, theyre back in the lottery again and they're stuck with Eric Gordon's bad contract for next few years & hes injured all the time.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#92 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted June 05, 2013 - 09:32 AM

The CP3 veto really effed us over. How are the Hornets any better now than they were in 2011, theyre back in the lottery again and they're stuck with Eric Gordon's bad contract for next few years & hes injured all the time.

I put blame on the Lakers for not trading Pau soon afterward. I think almost getting CP3 caused the Lakers to overvalue Pau.

Posted Image

#93 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,871 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 05, 2013 - 09:38 AM

^ No

The Lakers got Low-balled.

The plan was OBVIOUS. Pau got hurt, and now, forget it...

men make plans and God laughs. Which means, somethings you can't plan for. We rather keep our expiring(just like Luke for Sessions) and get the best young disgruntled Star, or the 2014 plan, which is a GREAT plan for a market like Los Angeles.

#94 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 09:42 AM

^ No

The Lakers got Low-balled.

The plan was OBVIOUS. Pau got hurt, and now, forget it...

men make plans and God laughs. Which means, somethings you can't plan for. We rather keep our expiring(just like Luke for Sessions) and get the best young disgruntled Star, or the 2014 plan, which is a GREAT plan for a market like Los Angeles.

Yep, the great plan of hoping that a bunch of old players stay healthy while playing for a coach that doesn't suit them.

I don't think this roster would win with any system, and I don't think D'Antoni can win with any roster. Good combination.

Edited by Japago, June 05, 2013 - 09:45 AM.

Posted Image

#95 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,871 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 09:49 AM

^ again, you don't get it.

Derek Fisher was old. Sessions was heart-less. Nash was an upgrade either way you look at it and the ONLY PG on the market.

Kobe

No one wanted Metta

Pau 

Bynum for Dwight

you think the Lakers could have gotten ANY PG they wanted. They were paying for putting a b2b title contender together. 

Thats how you win titles.

Again, I won't engage with people who just speak of our players without acknowledging the context of ow they were acquired or why we have them.

If we STILL had Fish and Bynum missed the whole season because Jim REALLY was the way they FIRST tried to paint him, then I could get the complaints, but when the ANALYST loved the moves they made, it seems like people are being emotional, and not logical.

Stuck on Phil, who really tried to FORCE the Lakers to give him a Presidential position, and played the media, but it's obvious that the Lakers only wanted a coach and Phil wants more power.

Love Phil, but that was a tactic that i don't respect

#96 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 09:57 AM

^ again, you don't get it.

Derek Fisher was old. Sessions was heart-less. Nash was an upgrade either way you look at it and the ONLY PG on the market.

Kobe

No one wanted Metta

Pau 

Bynum for Dwight

you think the Lakers could have gotten ANY PG they wanted. They were paying for putting a b2b title contender together. 

You don't make moves just for the sake of making them. If there wasn't a PG available to them that was worth it, they shouldn't have made the move.

You can make the argument Nash wasn't even an upgrade over Sessions. He was more efficient, but Sessions' dribble penetration helped this team more than anything Nash did. Plus, they gave up lots of draft picks for him.

I'm not stuck on Phil. I usually harp on needing a better replacement to fire a coach, but I think plenty can do better than D'Antoni. He can't coach big men(which should've been the Lakers' biggest strength) and defense (the Lakers' biggest issue this season). Lots of teams find good coaches who were have never been head coaches before.

Posted Image

#97 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,871 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 10:04 AM

Dwight and Pau were among the worst players in the post this year. Defensively one was a step slow and one was non-exsistent. D'Antoni didn't cause any of those injuries. 

So again, what are you talking about? Shaq had an All-Star season with Amare under D'Antoni. 18 points after being a non-facor in Miami.

Amare scored 30 points 8 times in a row, all with wins under D'Antoni.

and on top of that, the dying Dr. Buss wanted as his last request a team that played a showtime type style, with guys who had proved to have winner's intangibles. 

What now?

Btw, ramon had good games until the spotlight got bright and he was REPLACED by Blake in the playoffs. His defense was worse than Nash's. No one-on-one defense and bad team defender to boot.

plus the IDEA was a guy who could play off-ball and on-ball when you play with Kobe Bryant. You need a shooter playing off of Kobe, period. He was a Top 2/3 offensive creator AGAIN this season.

I'm pretty much through. You haven't said anything to explain why we got better as Dwight got healthier.

#98 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 10:04 AM

Pau for the 9 pick,D-Will and Love, and our first round pick next season and our second round for this season

I ran into this in another topic. No way Pau has this much value now. This is the kind of overrating I hope the Lakers aren't doing with him.

Posted Image

#99 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 10:11 AM

Dwight and Pau were among the worst players in the post this year. Defensively one was a step slow and one was non-exsistent. D'Antoni didn't cause any of those injuries. 

So again, what are you talking about? Shaq had an All-Star season with Amare under D'Antoni. 18 points after being a non-facor in Miami.

Amare scored 30 points 8 times in a row, all with wins under D'Antoni.

and on top of that, the dying Dr. Buss wanted as his last request a team that played a showtime type style, with guys who had proved to have winner's intangibles. 

What now?

Btw, ramon had good games until the spotlight got bright and he was REPLACED by Blake in the playoffs. His defense was worse than Nash's. No one-on-one defense and bad team defender to boot.

plus the IDEA was a guy who could play off-ball and on-ball when you play with Kobe Bryant. You need a shooter playing off of Kobe, period. He was a Top 2/3 offensive creator AGAIN this season.

I'm pretty much through. You haven't said anything to explain why we got better as Dwight got healthier.

How did all those teams do? Woodson and Gentry did a lot better than him with the rosters he left behind.

They got better, but they still didn't look anything like championship contenders. The Lakers went 10-9 against playoff teams in that famed stretch they had to end the season. Kobe heroics bailed the Lakers out more then they should've needed. They just didn't look great in general. Better, but not great.

Lots of teams can say they would be a lot better if they didn't have injuries. You have to build a team that can still win when dealing with injuries and prevents injuries with depth.

Edited by Japago, June 05, 2013 - 10:14 AM.

Posted Image

#100 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,871 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 12:00 PM

Heat's first season together, they had depth issues and you see what you need and build upon it.

i'm counting us for 55 wins if dwight comes back, due to the uncertainty of Kobe.

I like the moves this franchise has attempted following our sweep to the Mavericks. I think we won't have to go through a 15 win season like most of the teams doing better than us have experienced in the past 5-7 years or so.

2014 might be the year we REALLY bounce back as a contender for the now and moving forward, but I'm going to enjoy what POSSIBLY could be Kobe's last season, and if Dwight bails, that gives us even MORE money moving forward

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users