Photo

Lakers Need To Improve, A Lot, But Their Options Are Limited (Pg. 4)

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#61 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,616 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted May 05, 2013 - 06:57 PM

Lakers Need To Improve, A Lot, But Their Options Are Limited

By Mike Bresnahan
May 5, 2013, 7:13 p.m.

Poor Lakers. Even if Dwight Howard walks and Metta World Peace gets amnestied, they're still too far over the salary cap to chase any big-name free agents. Silly NBA rules.

Along those lines, a sad-looking quote stood out as players and staffers slogged through two days of end-of-season meetings last week — except Antawn Jamison, who skipped them as a final goodbye to the team and Mike D'Antoni.

"The collective-bargaining agreement really limits how we can add to the team," Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak said. "We get a limited number of exceptions. Probably the most widely used exception would be the veteran's minimum. It's hard to find a young player that would do that because if it's a younger player, he's probably not going to take the veteran's minimum. And if he did, he's probably not good enough to play."

Stop the excitement.

The veteran's minimum is typically $1.4 million a season. The Lakers will also have the "mini" mid-level exception of $3.2 million that can be used on one player or divided between two next season.

Sadder Kupchak quotes could be on the horizon for Lakers fans this summer — "We regretfully said goodbye to Pau Gasol today after waiving him via the amnesty provision," or "We were surprised that Dwight Howard chose to sign with Dallas" — but here's a look at who they could pursue when free agency begins July 1.

Current salary, age and latest team are listed next to players' names.

Kyle+Korver+New+Orleans+Hornets+v+Atlant

Kyle Korver ($5 million, 32, Atlanta)

Kobe Bryant said the Lakers needed a few things on their roster — speed, length, athleticism. That's all.

I'll add something else — shooting.

Korver will have to take a pay cut (get used to hearing this phrase), but he's one of the NBA's best shooters not named Stephen Curry or Ray Allen. He could help loosen defenses that sag down on Gasol, Howard or whomever mans the middle for the Lakers.

Chris+Kaman+Dallas+Mavericks+v+Phoenix+S

Chris Kaman ($8 million, 31, Dallas)

He's falling apart faster than a third-grade science project but he'll be cheap and happy to return to Los Angeles.

He'd better work on that 5.6 rebounding average last season.

Marco+Belinelli+New+York+Knicks+v+Chicag

Marco Belinelli (27, $2 million, Chicago)

Teams with money will look at his backcourt mate, late-season fireball Nate Robinson, but Belinelli is a comparatively inexpensive combo guard who can shoot and handle the ball. Think the Lakers need any of those?

Francisco+Garcia+Oklahoma+City+Thunder+v

($6.1 million, 32 Houston)

Some paperwork first. He has a $6.5-million team option that Houston would have to decline next month.

If that happens, he's athletic and feisty, and his three-point shot has steadily improved the last few years.

He scored 18 points twice in the playoffs against Oklahoma City, so, say it with me, he'll have to take a pay cut to join the Lakers.

Stephen+Jackson+Utah+Jazz+v+San+Antonio+

Stephen Jackson ($10.1 million, 35, San Antonio)

Risky pickup! Risky pickup!

There, I said it. But with World Peace possibly leaving via amnesty provision (it's either Gasol or him), the Lakers need someone to give wacky, wonderful quotes to reporters.

Just thanking you in advance, Mitch. Thank you.

Mike+Dunleavy+Milwaukee+Bucks+v+Los+Ange

Mike Dunleavy ($3.8 million, 32, Milwaukee)

He had a sneaky-good season with the Bucks, averaging 10.5 points and shooting a career-high 42.8% from three-point range.

He doesn't help with speed, athleticism or ball-handling ability, but he can shoot and score.

Josh+Smith+Indiana+Pacers+v+Atlanta+Hawk

Josh Smith ($13.2 million, 27, Atlanta)

Kidding. Proceed.

Raja+Bell+Utah+Jazz+v+Los+Angeles+Lakers

Raja Bell ($3 million, 36, Utah)

Wheee! D'Antoni can finally reunite with Bell, who didn't play one minute with Utah last season after deciding he didn't want to be there at all and was deactivated.

So we'll have to go back to 2011-12 to see how he did . . . 6.4 points a game. Wonderful.

He'll come to the Lakers for $1.4 million next season. Count on it.

Andray+Blatche+Chicago+Bulls+v+Brooklyn+

Andray Blatche ($854,389, 26, Brooklyn)

He had some moments with the Nets and is still entitled to $16.3 million over the next two years because Washington amnestied him last summer.

For once . . . a player who might be willing to take a pay cut.

Wesley+Johnson+Phoenix+Suns+v+Denver+Nug

Wesley Johnson ($4.3 million, 25, Phoenix)

The fourth overall pick in the 2010 draft finally found a semblance of a game in March (13.2-point average) and April (12.9). Phoenix has the upper hand here but maybe he'll take a pay cut (there it is again).

Dorell+Wright+Denver+Nuggets+v+Philadelp

Dorell Wright ($4.1 million, 27, Philadelphia) and Nick Young ($5.6 million, 27, Philadelphia)

Essentially the same player, same age, same team.

Young had slight edges in scoring (10.6 to 9.2 points) and minutes (23.9 to 22.6) but Wright won by a nose in three-point accuracy (37.4% to 35.7%).

Or did Wright have the edge in scoring and minutes and Young better long-range accuracy?

DeJuan+Blair+Miami+Heat+v+San+Antonio+Sp

DeJuan Blair ($1.1 million, 24, San Antonio)

He fell out of the rotation earlier this season and would always be plenty undersized as a 6-foot-7 power forward. He hustles, though, and how many Lakers did that this season?

mike.bresnahan@latimes.com

Twitter: @Mike_Bresnahan[/quote]

http://www.latimes.c...er&dlvrit=53295

Edited by LALakersFan4Life, May 06, 2013 - 11:08 PM.

#62 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,904 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 05, 2013 - 07:05 PM

I've seen Heat games this season where they barely won and LeBron was putting up historic performances.

That happens.

#63 beethoven31

beethoven31

Rookie

• 396 posts
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted May 05, 2013 - 07:06 PM

Going all in on 2014 is a great idea, lots of big name and big game players.. but with this current team how you expect Dwight to resign?

Posted Image

#64 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,463 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

http://www.latimes.c...er&dlvrit=53295

Martell's better than all of them.

Pass.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#65 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

He sucks..

What made you come to this conclusion?

#66 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,166 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 07:19 PM

Korver or Webster please.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

• 40,416 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 07:22 PM

Out of all those guys, definitely don't want Kaman.

yo.

#68 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,552 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted May 05, 2013 - 07:27 PM

What made you come to this conclusion?

the fact that his so called "potential" still hasn't surfaced.

grade-A chucker.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#69 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 08:54 PM

the fact that his so called "potential" still hasn't surfaced.

grade-A chucker.

He showed promise his first year getting minutes then he didn't get any minutes thanks to PJ Carlismo who was just fired... It would be Ideal for us to land a SG/SF that's young and we could get instant Offense from....

and he's realistically attainable since the Nets don't use him at all

#70 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 880 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted May 06, 2013 - 05:08 AM

I wouldn't mind Marshon. He showed he has talent his 1st season. Did not get big minutes this year for whatever reason. While he may be a bit of a chucker he has attributes this team needs like a wing with youth and athleticism and at dirt cheap price of 1.2 million. The fact is while he definitely may be a risk, these are the only types of young cheap players we might be able to acquire. We are on a shoestring budget for this years free agency period so we can't offer much other than the MMLE and Vet min assuming we don't trade Gasol. There are other wing players I'd love to get before Brooks but whether we can is another thing. We would have to trade for him so I would possibly trade him for Meeks if we pick up his option. All I know is the FO needs to be shrewd in searching out options for us this off season. We really need to search for young players not being used or under utilized on other teams and snatch up a bargain trade. If we are able to pick up some good players in the free agency then that's fine. If not then this is another route to go. All I know is we need young, athletic players for cheap and that's not a easy task. That's why I wouldn't mind CDR as well. He can also be had for cheap and has been endorsed by the Mamba. Even having him as a end of rotation guy couldn't do any harm.

#71 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,941 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted May 06, 2013 - 05:12 AM

I've seen Heat games this season where they barely won and LeBron was putting up historic performances.
That happens.

When fighting for their play-off lives?

And again, how many more of those does Kobe have in the tank next season?

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#72 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,941 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted May 06, 2013 - 05:14 AM

Going all in on 2014 is a great idea, lots of big name and big game players.. but with this current team how you expect Dwight to resign?

Most money.

Next year is only 1 year out of about 8 more he's likely to play with LA if he re-signs.

Plus, they still probably win 55 games and end up making the second round of the play-offs.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#73 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,167 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted May 06, 2013 - 07:13 AM

I would love Garcia here too 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#74 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,489 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 06, 2013 - 07:25 AM

I think Korver is the right guy. Not much of a defender, but his shooting is so deadly that it changes a lot on the offensive end. Metta is simply too inaccurate from long distance for opposing teams really to care, which makes them roam around a bit. Obviously, they dont want him shooting uncontested open 3s, but they can live with him shooting off the dribble or shooting contested 3s.

With a guy like Korver, who shoots .457% from 3 this season, that wont happen.

#75 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 08:56 AM

I think Korver is the right guy. Not much of a defender, but his shooting is so deadly that it changes a lot on the offensive end. Metta is simply too inaccurate from long distance for opposing teams really to care, which makes them roam around a bit. Obviously, they dont want him shooting uncontested open 3s, but they can live with him shooting off the dribble or shooting contested 3s.

With a guy like Korver, who shoots .457% from 3 this season, that wont happen.

If Korver came here he would be another Jason Kapono.. or Jodie Meeks with no athleticism or defense...

as bad as our defense was last year we truly need players that can play both sides of the ball

#76 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,102 posts
  • Name:Will

Posted May 06, 2013 - 09:44 AM

I would say I'd throw up if Korver was here but this team has had me blowing enough chunks over the last few seasons. Guess vomiting blood is the next step.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#77 Holden_Magroin

Holden_Magroin

Rookie

• 53 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar & Kobe

Posted May 06, 2013 - 11:13 AM

A cheap option is Alan Anderson(Toronto), makes less than 1 million, torched the Lakers on multiple games this year. 6'6 long and athletic enough to improve the team, 

#78 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,869 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted May 07, 2013 - 11:10 PM

MarShon is a poor man's Kobe.  He just needs the right coach, like Kobe did.

And after I type that last sentence, I just shake my head because I just realized it's probably not going to happen for him here.

#79 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,717 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted May 08, 2013 - 07:50 AM

MarShon is a poor man's Kobe. He just needs the right coach, like Kobe did.

And after I type that last sentence, I just shake my head because I just realized it's probably not going to happen for him here.

lmao!

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#80 Bynumite17

Bynumite17

Huh?

• 6,327 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 05:33 PM

I want Wes Johnson

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users