Photo

Lakers Need To Improve, A Lot, But Their Options Are Limited (Pg. 4)

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#21 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 8,766 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 08:46 PM

Hoping not another 'Meeks'category of players.

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

#22 nikolatesla

nikolatesla

Rookie

• 391 posts
  • Name:Aykut
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 04, 2013 - 10:00 PM

Mitch's idea is to keep the core, surround them with better more athletic and more consistent players.

De Ja Vu anyone? This is the same excuse we've been using for 3 straight summers. This means we are gonna suck even more next year and i dont even think thats possible but we are surely trying.

#23 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,425 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 04, 2013 - 10:17 PM

As long as D'Antoni is roaming the sidelines every season will be a waste of time.

#24 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,364 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 10:22 PM

Waiting for the books to clear. If this isn't the normal BS.

Can't for for dantunafish try to make a big team run....again. I know he "figured it out" though. :rofl:  Pau go back to the 3-point line, because we need him to spread the floor with his sharpshooting ways. Kobe play 10000Mins, so we can get you out of here quicker. Nash...YOU ARE THE MAN! :worthy:  :worthy: Dwight...Just get down low and dunk baby. Metta... :vomit:

dantoni2.jpg

Showtime!

Edited by Chad, May 04, 2013 - 10:32 PM.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#25 The Hound

The Hound

3rd Eye Vision

• 1,053 posts
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, Ron Artest, Magic

Posted May 04, 2013 - 10:53 PM

Waiting for the books to clear. If this isn't the normal BS.

Can't for for dantunafish try to make a big team run....again. I know he "figured it out" though. :rofl: Pau go back to the 3-point line, because we need him to spread the floor with his sharpshooting ways. Kobe play 10000Mins, so we can get you out of here quicker. Nash...YOU ARE THE MAN! :worthy: :worthy: Dwight...Just get down low and dunk baby. Metta... :vomit:

dantoni2.jpg
Showtime!

lololololololol

"Any man dies with a clean sword,  I'LL RAPE HIS [expletive]ING CORPSE!!!!!" - Sandor Clegane

#26 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,967 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 04, 2013 - 11:22 PM

De Ja Vu anyone? This is the same excuse we've been using for 3 straight summers. This means we are gonna suck even more next year and i dont even think thats possible but we are surely trying.

Our bench was improved over last year.

Meeks, Hill re-signed, Clark, Jamison.

I look forward to see how they improve the bench this off-season, if the bench keeps getting better  im all for it.  

Meeks was on a one year for a reason. 

Edited by Majesty, May 04, 2013 - 11:22 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#27 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,159 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 11:42 PM

I'd rather see them trading Pau but if they can't find players to get in return with short term contracts, then I'm sorry but this makes sense. We may have to watch them struggle all over again but they are doing this for a reason: 28-12 record to finish the season. Had we concluded with a .500 record and no playoffs, Mitch would have blown the [expletive] outta team for sure. That and Kobe influence.

#28 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,605 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted May 04, 2013 - 11:50 PM

I agree, just bring in a couple of athletic players! AKA ahem! CDR!

I would option out Meeks though.

#29 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,884 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted May 05, 2013 - 12:07 AM

Am I one of the few realizing that our second half push was mostly due to this guy named Kobe?

I'm sorry, but it's true: players can make coaches look wonderful sometimes.  Sam Mitchell is a great example, a coach who won the COTY award after a 47-win season and, two years later, was fired by Toronto and never hired by another NBA team to date.

Very little we did in the second half had any imprint of Mike D'Antoni on it.  At one point, he even dismissed the idea of running his offense, and nearly slipped and said the team was doing whatever they wanted to do (which was true, because Nash almost said the same thing).

Now we're going to enter a second season with him...and likely without the Kobe we saw in February-April of 2013.

Meanwhile, Howard averaged 20/15 or so against the Spurs in the first round, and still...nothing, because we don't have a compatible team, or the right coach, to play the correct way.

I'm almost to the point where I just don't give a [expletive] about the team until the 2014 free agency period, if we're going to go another round of this garbage with the mindset that we would have been an elite squad if it wasn't for injuries.

We may not be GM's, but we've seen teams like Charlotte and Toronto make the wrong decisions for years.  Most of us believe in Mitch, but even he has to answer to someone else.

#30 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,159 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 12:24 AM

Everybody knows Kobe propelled the team into the playoffs. That is not the point. D'Antoni knows, now, slowing the pace is the best option for this team. We don't know how he instructs the players behind the scenes so it's absurd to think he's fixed on playing his system again. Kobe said the same thing. They won't change the way they play. Coaching is one thing but you have to have some sort of arsenal to be able to do some good damange. Meeks and Jamison were inconsistent. Half of the team were hurt. I'd rather hope the same situation doesn't happen again than pointing fingers at the coach. This is a veteran team and they know how to play.  First 4 months or so were turbulent because D'Antoni didn't know what the [expletive] he was doing, and had major false hope (like we should score 115 point every night) .. Ask him same thing again, he might surprise you.

I believe in Howard next season. He'll be a beast. Surround him with couple of good shooters (especially from SF position) then we might see this team's true potential. I just hope we find a good one via mini-MLE though.

#31 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,464 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted May 05, 2013 - 12:44 AM

then who ? name me atheltic players

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#32 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,605 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted May 05, 2013 - 01:15 AM

Luke Babbit

Xavier Henry

Martell Webster

Anthony Morrow

Will Bynum

Sam Young

Dj Augustine

Tony Allen

Al Farouq Aminu

Ronnie Brewer

Dorell Wright

Nick young

Wes Johnson

Alan Anderson

Demarre Caroll

Bold ones are the players we can prob afford to bring in.

#33 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,967 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 05, 2013 - 01:31 AM

Am I one of the few realizing that our second half push was mostly due to this guy named Kobe?

I'm sorry, but it's true: players can make coaches look wonderful sometimes.  Sam Mitchell is a great example, a coach who won the COTY award after a 47-win season and, two years later, was fired by Toronto and never hired by another NBA team to date.

Very little we did in the second half had any imprint of Mike D'Antoni on it.  At one point, he even dismissed the idea of running his offense, and nearly slipped and said the team was doing whatever they wanted to do (which was true, because Nash almost said the same thing).

Now we're going to enter a second season with him...and likely without the Kobe we saw in February-April of 2013.

Meanwhile, Howard averaged 20/15 or so against the Spurs in the first round, and still...nothing, because we don't have a compatible team, or the right coach, to play the correct way.

I'm almost to the point where I just don't give a [expletive] about the team until the 2014 free agency period, if we're going to go another round of this garbage with the mindset that we would have been an elite squad if it wasn't for injuries.

We may not be GM's, but we've seen teams like Charlotte and Toronto make the wrong decisions for years.  Most of us believe in Mitch, but even he has to answer to someone else.

I give the credit to Kobe.

But I also give a lot of it to Dwight becoming healthy again as well and Pau stepping up upon his return.

let's not forget Kobe was playing outside his mind the entire season and we were still losing even during some of the games where we were running it through him to facilitate.

Kobe could have kept up that level of play all the way through the rest of January through February and March and April but in my opinion it would have been for naught if Dwight didn't finally start to come around physically.

Kobe taking the sails off how we should be running the offense helped a boatload and saved our season.

But when I watch games like the New Orleans one where nearly everyone touts Kobe for bringing us back, I agree 100% but at the same time if Dwight Howard wasn't back to as close to form as he was gonna get that season, that comeback doesn't happen and the Hornets pick and roll game doesn't get stopped for 6 minutes straight.

So I give Kobe a lot of credit for his awesome play, but at the same time a lot of that awesome play would have went to waste if not for Dwight coming back to form.

So I guess the only thing we disagree on is that I don't think this team will need Kobe to play February-April level.

I think we need Dwight to be 100% with an off-season of work.  That really shouldn't be overlooked.   if Dwight is 100% after an off-season of work and shall he re-sign, Kobe won't have to do that at THAT kind of level for us to succeed. 

I think it will be of equal balance, but I don't think Kobe will have to go Super Saiyan to beat the likes of New Orleans with a running for 48 minutes finally back to form Dwight Howard.

Mitch is more than likely also banking on that fact. 

That is why he's going to go after Webster and why he's trying to put more consistent shooters with our bench.  Because it can't be just meeks we depend on at our bench 2 and Blake at the 1, we need a 3 and Clark shouldn't be there solely to stretch.

So I do think that without injury we contend.  But I am also counting injury as Dwight not being close to 100% till somewhere in March. 

We won't need the Kobe of march-april, if we have Dwight at prior injury and stamina form.   Strictly because we won't be getting massacred on pick and rolls so much and we won't be giving up so many shots Kobe will have to bail us out of.

Even with Dwight half of what he was the Lakers allowed just 101.7 points per 100 possessions when he was in the game, which would rank us the 10th best in the league the problem was when he went to the bench it shot all the way up to around 108 which puts us 28th-30th in the league.   That was the problem.

Health again, as if we look after or right before all-star break when Dwight started coming into form.

When we lost to the Grizzlies we were ranked 20th in defensive rating.  After that point we rose to 13th in defensive rating and that's why we ran off 28-12.  That has to do with Dwight becoming healthy again too. 

Like I said, Kobe could have kept going off, but if Dwight doesn't get healthy, it's all for naught and we still miss the playoffs.

Here's another tidbit in the final 2 and a half weeks of the season we only allowed 102.2 points per 100 possessions which would have been 9th in that stretch, and the even scarier thing eventhough its probably not of as much credence is that in 55 minutes during that period, the Howard/Gasol/MWP/Bryant/Nash lineup allowed just 87.7 points per 100 possessions, that's better than the Pacers.

And again it goes back to the defense of our BENCH that problems lay

Post all-star break allowing 113.5 points per 100 possessions, the worst in the league.

It's not so much our bigs but that no one off our bench aside from Blake and Clark(before his knee gave way) could defend anyone.  And because we didn't have Hill nor Gasol for a stretch of time Jamison had to play center or Dwight had to play extended minutes and would get exhausted with no stamina, or even time Clark had to play the 5.     If Hill is healthy and Clark's knee is 100% next year, I don't see the two giving up 107 when Dwight goes out, nor Gasol if he's healthy.

Notice a lot of my sentences end with "healthy" lol

That's what I think anyway.   Then again Im expecting Dwight to return to that form next year and am praying he re-signs with us for that reason.

I am also waiting till the end of pre-season to see if D'antoni is gonna try to fix ANYTHING with the offense we ran.  If he doesn't, Kobe and Dwight could carry us to probably the 2nd in the division or 3rd.  But in the playoffs in the western conference finals unless against a halfcourt team we'll be in trouble again.

I above all else want the offense to change.

Everyone at 100% is going to win us games, coach flaws or not. 

That doesn't mean I'll be happy if they aren't changed next season :)

Edited by Majesty, May 05, 2013 - 11:21 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#34 muncher

muncher

Rookie

• 530 posts
  • Name:Simon
  • Fav. Laker:Gary Vitti

Posted May 05, 2013 - 01:39 AM

I saw this line-up somewhere and I liked it:

PG: NASH / BYNUM / MILLS 
SG: BRYANT / BLAKE 
SF: ARIZA / CLARK OR KORVER (dream) 
PF: GASOL / CLARK
C: HOWARD / HILL / SACRE

#35 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,888 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 03:13 AM

First off the team needs to know their style of play, and stick to it ..

get 2 bench players one at the shooting and the other in the small.. if players like webster and the likes of jr smith, we should be fine moving forward with a built-up chemistry and effective role players who can man up in games..

get rid of meeks and save the core of kobe,nash,blake add to them n.young or ben gordon. Goudelock as the fifth guard.

get back howard and add him to pau, hill, clark, jamison if possible and lets say webster ..

simple moves can change the team from top to bottom .. I'd love to get rid of MA, but again our options are limited ..

#36 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,733 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 05, 2013 - 03:55 AM

I would keep Pau Gasol only if somehow we get an athletic starting SF and a reliable scorer off the bench. 

Edited by Nak, May 05, 2013 - 03:56 AM.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#37 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,945 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted May 05, 2013 - 04:26 AM

You know that old saying

When somethings broke... Don't fix it

#38 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,458 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted May 05, 2013 - 05:34 AM

The FO office eyes are set in 2014 <br />Do what you can next season, get rid of everyone for that offseason
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#39 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,271 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted May 05, 2013 - 07:00 AM

The FO office eyes are set in 2014 <br />Do what you can next season, get rid of everyone for that offseason

As it should be.  Adding the pieces available this offseason to this team at full strength does nothing.  This years squad, add any of those non household names on the list, you have the same result as this season.  This team hasn't been out of the 2nd round of the playoffs in the past 3 seasons, swept by Dallas, demolished by OKC, swept by the Spurs.  Each of those season cobbled together foolishly attempting to win a championship now.  They are several players away currently.  Fortunately, they have the option of an epic purge of almost all contracts and a historic free agency class where they can start rebuilding towards the future with several high quality players available.

#40 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,592 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted May 05, 2013 - 07:23 AM

You're overreacting!

Obviously D'Antoni has to go and Dwight may be a key player in that regard - all he has to do is to give the Lakers FO an ultimatum. 

Kobe may not be 100% right away and Nash may be injured a lot going forward, but if everyone's minutes is properly managed and with couple of cheap signings and the use of mini-midlevel in the off-season, we will be fine. Especially since the new coach will play to our strengths (size, skill) rather than our weaknesses (speed, athleticism). 

Regarding our possible succes next season, it also depend on the rest of the league and how they'll look. LBJ and Miami will be good, but the way Wade have looked of late, they may end up depending a bit too much on LBJ and perhaps not be as dominant next season as this season. NY and Brooklyn aren't going to be a lot better either with their roster and cap-situation. Chicago will be a player, though. In the West, OKC just lost Westbrook and who knows what they'll look like going forward. Memphis isn't going to improve a lot and the Clippes just laid an egg this year. GS and Houston are a couple of players and years away from being relevant and San Antonio can't possibly keep it up. So in addition to hopefully being healthier and having a complete roster for a longer period of time we may be better just from the simple fact that other teams are getting worse. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users