#41 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,931 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 04, 2013 - 07:15 PM

I forgot about Blake. He was our warrior.

But come on, please tell me you are not still supporting MDA.

I don't like how he got ALL the flack and how fans get amnesia when it comes to not blaming other players for their shortcomings.

But there's a lot he does I won't support, I don't like how Kobe had to play extended minutes because of the hole we dug in the month and a half of trying to run "Nash-basketball" and I don't like that it took him a month and a half to realize we weren't a Nash based team although I give him credit to listening to Kobe about it.  

I don't like how he tried to make Pau a stretch 4, but I give him credit for finally putting Pau in the post and I don't forget how long it took Pau to actually do that(when he wasn't the center). 

The reality of the situation is although we finished the last 40 games 28-12 which was great, but the truth is, if we went 28-13 we potentially don't make the playoffs.    That's why guys played extended minutes, it was the same reason Mike Brown put Kobe, Dwight etc in against Detroit when the lead was cut to 14 but the game wasn't in doubt.  He wanted to do everything in his power to win.

As much as I'd like to, I don't hold the minutes our guys had to play(Kobe in particular) late in the season against him, because it was necessary because of the thing I DO hold against him, and that was the month and a half of Nash ball in December to mid January which put us in that situation. 

He is going to need to make changes next year, hiring a defensive assistant is a good start.  But I am hoping we start the season 28-12 so that we aren't in panic mode at the halfway mark and are more willing to give guys extended minutes if they are having an off-game instead of panicking and having to put starters back in because one loss could knock us out of the playoffs. 

The key to next season along with the adjustments D'antoni must make to his offense(he has an entire summer and training camp to do it) is a good start to the season.

If the guy hasn't made any kind of changes whatsoever, or we start the season terribly, or we're running the exact same offense with no fine tuning, then he should be fired before the middle of next season.

I give him a LOT of rope even for that month and a half of Nash ball because he had to get familiar with everyone and their tendencies, and once he let go of his pride and listened to Kobe, it went to a success. 

So I think an entire summer of planning the offense around Kobe and Dwight and utilizing Nash as a spot up shooter primarily should yield good results.  So I'll give him till the end of the pre-season or a week into next season to show me something different.

If we see more of the same and I have to pop into another Real Deal thread basically explaining that it's all the same, the rope that I give D'antoni I will search to hang him with.

Not right now.  But he has till the end of pre-season.     If it's more of the same, I'll jump on the bandwagon.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#42 stillshining

stillshining

Rookie

• 262 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted May 04, 2013 - 08:40 PM

Honestly if healthy we probably would be making noise in the playoffs.

We'd have beaten the Spurs with Kobe and if healthy and Blake is there defending Parker in my opinion.

And we'd be going into the second round about to face Golden State who we've beaten all year except the time Pau was getting acclimated. 

Then we'd be going into the next round to play the winner of the Grizzlies and the Thunder.  If the Grizzlies win that series, we could beat the Grizzlies in a half  court vs halfcourt set and if we played the Thunder, they don't have Westbrook so there goes their advantage against Nash and or Blake.

So if you ask would we have made noise in the playoffs.  Definitely, we may have made the finals too.   Because the matchups were very in our favor. 

But Kobe goes down, reality is changed, and we get swept.  It's just how it is sometimes.

Lol don't you think any fan from any team could just predict how their team would've done in the playoffs? How does that have any substance when you go through a season like this? You act as if Kobe missed the entire year like D-Rose, he played 77 games and the Lakers were only 42-36 when he was on the court. Kobe healthy has proven that he is still a dominant force in this league and that the Lakers were barely a playoff team THIS year.

#43 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,728 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 05, 2013 - 03:59 AM

Steve Nash.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#44 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,703 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 05, 2013 - 07:28 AM

Kobe was healthy 70+ games. But we know Kobe by himself ain't enough.

Pau wasn't healthy before his concussion.
Dwight wasnt himself to the break.
Nash had a break in his leg bone and tried to come back early.

We don't know what this team is based off the entire year. I saw the team play 28-12.

If it was ALL Kobe, then we would not have been 17-25.

Period.

Team improved in many ways. Next season, pray for health b

#45 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,004 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 05, 2013 - 02:21 PM

You better pray for a new coach

Pau Gasol is GONE

#46 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,703 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 05, 2013 - 03:21 PM

If Mike Brown or Mike DAntoni, both can't get anything out of this team, two different types of coach both who had success with an MVP level player then it's not the coach.

But in this case, the coach had to learn his roster on the fly b

#47 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,004 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 05, 2013 - 03:51 PM

What success did those two have??? Mike Brown is clueless offensively...D'Antoni is the poster child for defensive ineptitude and quite honestly he's a vastly overrated offensive mind. I hate to say this but the lesser of the two evils is Mike Brown.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#48 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,030 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 04:05 PM

At least Brown tried to coach, even though he was terrible at it. MDA is just a cheerleader who reacts to calls and always says, "Lets Go."

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#49 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,931 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 05, 2013 - 04:40 PM

At least Brown tried to coach, even though he was terrible at it. MDA is just a cheerleader who reacts to calls and always says, "Lets Go."

Thing is it took Mike Brown 5 games to stay up all night texting Kobe about what best ways to run the offense, it took D'antoni one and a half months of Nash ball to listen to Kobe about what to run.    It also took D'antoni that month and a half to realize you can't run the offense through Nash, Mike Brown already had that figured out by the middle of pre-season(to which members on this forum were after his head for saying such a thing).

Like I said, we'd probably have eventually ran something similar to the triangle, Kobe wanted to simplify the Princeton down and to ease the reigns of overcoaching a little bit.  A simplified Princeton offense is basically the triangle(which is what he ran through Kobe and Gasol sets anyway). unfortunately we can only speculate.   Either he was gonna turn it around after Kobe and him talked about the best offense to run(the blueprint was there(Nash off ball, Kobe main facilitator, triangle sets with Kobe and Pau)  and that he needed to ease up on overcoaching.   Or he would have lost another game and been fired either way or not.  We'll never know now.

One thing I'm pretty sure about though is we wouldn't have spent a month of December to January and a half struggling trying a new style of a Nash-lead offense like we did with D'antoni while he experimented with Nash ball.  If anything our problems would still be acclimating to the princeton/triangle hybrid he wanted, and if we were missing wide open shots or not. 

People forget when Phil Jackson first got here and was teaching everyone the triangle, they struggled the entire pre-season as well trying to get used to it.  Aside from Kobe and Pau, and Blake anything triangle or princeton related was new territory so of course they'd struggle.  I would say Metta but let's be honest, he never really found out how to play in the triangle =p lol helped win us a championship despite that so I'm not complaining.

Funny thing is, my dad told me when D'antoni was signed that the Lakers traded a coach that "cared too much" for a coach that would "care too little". 

That said, I'm optimistic(till the end of pre-season) that our offense will be different and changes will be made.

If its more of the same I'll jump on the fire d'antoni bandwagon along with the rest of you.

Edited by Majesty, May 05, 2013 - 04:43 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#50 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,030 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 05:17 PM

Thing is it took Mike Brown 5 games to stay up all night texting Kobe about what best ways to run the offense, it took D'antoni one and a half months of Nash ball to listen to Kobe about what to run.    It also took D'antoni that month and a half to realize you can't run the offense through Nash, Mike Brown already had that figured out by the middle of pre-season(to which members on this forum were after his head for saying such a thing).

Like I said, we'd probably have eventually ran something similar to the triangle, Kobe wanted to simplify the Princeton down and to ease the reigns of overcoaching a little bit.  A simplified Princeton offense is basically the triangle(which is what he ran through Kobe and Gasol sets anyway). unfortunately we can only speculate.   Either he was gonna turn it around after Kobe and him talked about the best offense to run(the blueprint was there(Nash off ball, Kobe main facilitator, triangle sets with Kobe and Pau)  and that he needed to ease up on overcoaching.   Or he would have lost another game and been fired either way or not.  We'll never know now.

One thing I'm pretty sure about though is we wouldn't have spent a month of December to January and a half struggling trying a new style of a Nash-lead offense like we did with D'antoni while he experimented with Nash ball.  If anything our problems would still be acclimating to the princeton/triangle hybrid he wanted, and if we were missing wide open shots or not. 

People forget when Phil Jackson first got here and was teaching everyone the triangle, they struggled the entire pre-season as well trying to get used to it.  Aside from Kobe and Pau, and Blake anything triangle or princeton related was new territory so of course they'd struggle.  I would say Metta but let's be honest, he never really found out how to play in the triangle =p lol helped win us a championship despite that so I'm not complaining.

Funny thing is, my dad told me when D'antoni was signed that the Lakers traded a coach that "cared too much" for a coach that would "care too little". 

That said, I'm optimistic(till the end of pre-season) that our offense will be different and changes will be made.

If its more of the same I'll jump on the fire d'antoni bandwagon along with the rest of you.

I think many of us, myself included, had high expectations and wanted results RIGHT AWAY. None of us were like, "Guys, give it time. It will work out eventually." Everyone was like, "Fire Mike Brown," or, "Mike Brown sucks." One thing was certain from my stand of view was that Brown lost the respect of the locker room. His players stopped listening to him. Next time, I hope we do not hire anyone that starts with the name Mike.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#51 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,030 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 05:19 PM

17Zf0.gif

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#52 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,107 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted May 06, 2013 - 05:28 AM

Being that both the Lakers and Clippers had tremendous promise and hype prior to the season do to amazing Front Office transactions, which team do you believe was the bigger disappointment?

Yeah the Lakers had a star studded lineup, but in all honesty, I thought the Clippers had one of the most talented overall teams in the league.

I personally believe the Clippers to not even make it past the 1st round quite pathetic.  Especially since the core players in Paul, DeAndre, Griffin, Caron, and a few others had already played in the post season along side eachother.  

it speaks more about Cp3 then rest of squad. Although I will say BG gets amnesia once playoffs begin & he forgets how to get by on pure athleticism alone like he does so easily during reg season.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users