fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 04, 2013 - 10:21 AM

That's not championship material.

They did, at no time, make anyone think that they were championship contenders - sorry.

#22 stillshining

stillshining

Rookie

• 275 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted May 04, 2013 - 10:56 AM

Stop. 28-12 in last 40 games of the season. 2nd best record in the West. 8-4 vs teams in playoffs contention.

Lol come on man, you really felt any type of championship aspirations during the second half of the season? Notice how only 12 of the 40 teams they faced were of playoff contention. Notice how in the second half only the Spurs (the rest my star players spurs) and the Pacers were actually a top 4 seed team and not a 6-8th seed like the Rockets, Celtics and Warriors. I mean their only real impressive win was against the Pacers (who again only won four more games than the Lakers in the East) and the Grizzlies. During this "championship" run in the second half the Lakers only beat two teams over 50 wins and the Spurs brought in their replacements so really only the grizzlies.

If the second half showed me anything it showed me how great a will Kobe has and how Dwight actually looks healthy, their good record speaks more to their weak schedule and scrapping Mike D's style of play

Edited by stillshining, May 04, 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#23 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,014 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 04, 2013 - 11:36 AM

Any "Championship" aspirations were severely dampened when Kobe went down.

When Blake went down second round aspirations they were absolutely obliterated.

I still believe we don't get swept by San Antonio and could cause the upset if Blake was out there, he was the only one really containing Parker.   Once Blake went down you knew Parker was gonna run game on the 3rd and 4th stringers.

In every single Laker game someone was dealing with an injury for all 82 games. 

There was post about it.

Pre-season aspirations were "championship or bust" but at the same time that's ALWAYS the expectations for the Lakers.   And injuries severely derailed a lot of our plans, and again, making the playoffs considering all those issues and making the 7th seed, with potential to win the 6th seed was a nice end to the season, but then losing Kobe due to injury was the "rains it pours" for us.   That's disappointing, but considering all we dealt with this year, it's only a disappointment by pre-season standards.  as Blake said, it got to the point you just expected it, considering how the season had gone.

In terms of actual season standards, and execution of said season standards, the Clippers by far were the bigger disappointment

The Clippers on the other hand had a 56 win season, won their first pacific division, swept the Lakers for the first time in a season, had the "depth" was dubbed the new showtime by Magic, and had ESPN riding their jock all year while mostly remaining healthy.     They accomplished a lot more than us on the court this year and had their absolute best season with their all time best lineup.

And they couldn't get out of the first round.  And were swept the final 4. 

Considering all the hype and the kind of season they had on top of that, to culminate in a first round exit is more disappointing.  Their best season when healthy ended the same as our worst season with injuries and they weren't starting their 3rd and 4th string players either, and were facing a team they beat the previous year when they(The Clippers) were a worse team, that had traded their top scorer(Rudy Gay).

Chris Paul said it best when a reporter asked him what is it that he can take positive from the season to reflect on all the good they did.. Chris Paul said it best "None of that matters at all, our season is over." 

Edited by Majesty, May 04, 2013 - 11:40 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#24 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,716 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 04, 2013 - 01:12 PM

Lakers thought they would have the Dwight Howard of Orlando.
The Pau of at least last season.
Blake.
Hill.

And Nash.

We got Mash. The reason the Knicks have the two seed is Talent plus finally being healthy and having a year and a half to find the right FIT.

#25 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,035 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 02:53 PM

Lakers thought they would have the Dwight Howard of Orlando.
The Pau of at least last season.
Blake.
Hill.

And Nash.

We got Mash. The reason the Knicks have the two seed is Talent plus finally being healthy and having a year and a half to find the right FIT.

You forgot to mention that they also have an average coach.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#26 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,748 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted May 04, 2013 - 03:44 PM

The lakers were, by far, the greatest disappointment. This season was a piece of crap. Injuries cannot be an excuse. This team flat out sucked. The clippers are used to disappointment. So Lakers, 100 percent.

#27 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,748 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted May 04, 2013 - 03:45 PM

You forgot to mention that they also have an average coach.

By average, so you mean worst in the league?

#28 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,035 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 03:47 PM

By average, so you mean worst in the league?

The Knicks don't have the worst head coach in the league.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#29 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,356 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 04, 2013 - 05:49 PM

They did, at no time, make anyone think that they were championship contenders - sorry.

#30 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,716 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 04, 2013 - 06:03 PM

Lol.

So we won our last five, two without Kobe. 28-12 with major injuries and we can't contend?

I can't talk to emotional or novice sports fans

#31 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,417 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 04, 2013 - 06:09 PM

I thought this Lakers team was going to go down as one of the greatest teams in Nba history. Clippers, I never thought they would get past the second round.

Lakers easily 

#32 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,014 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 06:18 PM

And the Clippers did. 

That's why pre-season expectation the bigger letdown was the Lakers.

Actual season accomplishment and expectation, the bigger letdown was the Clippers.

#33 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,356 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 04, 2013 - 06:36 PM

Lol.

So we won our last five, two without Kobe. 28-12 with major injuries and we can't contend?

I can't talk to emotional or novice sports fans

I know damn well you aren't calling me a novice sports fan.

You can honestly tell me that during that 28-12 stretch, you looked at this team and said "We can beat the Oklahoma City Thunder and Miami Heat in a seven game series."?

IF this team was healthy, we would have still had the same issues against athletic teams that would have run us out the gym.  Would we have made some noise in the playoffs if healthy? Possibly but I just don't how you can come to that conclusion with this team.

It's great we won games, I was impressed with victories over teams like Memphis and Golden State, but we didn't win enough on the road against quality playoff teams to show me that we were in the discussion of contender. We had two wins on the road, out of 9 games against playoff teams in those 28 wins.  One was against offensively challenged Indiana and the other against Brooklyn.

I guess I have a different definition of contender then some of the members here, but one win on the road against a West playoff team ALL SEASON (Golden State) hardly shows that they should be a contender in my book.  But hey, they could come back completely healthy and prove me wrong, I have no problem with that.  I just think this team still has many issues preventing them from contending next season.

#34 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,035 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 06:40 PM

Bulls win without Deng, Hinrich, and Rose.

Thibs really gets his players to play with heart, passion and effort. He really gets the best out of his players and gets them prepared. He is the complete OPPOSITE of our coach.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#35 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,014 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 06:40 PM

I know damn well you aren't calling me a novice sports fan.

You can honestly tell me that during that 28-12 stretch, you looked at this team and said "We can beat the Oklahoma City Thunder and Miami Heat in a seven game series."?

IF this team was healthy, we would have still had the same issues against athletic teams that would have run us out the gym.  Would we have made some noise in the playoffs if healthy? Possibly but I just don't how you can come to that conclusion with this team.

It's great we won games, I was impressed with victories over teams like Memphis and Golden State, but we didn't win enough on the road against quality playoff teams to show me that we were in the discussion of contender. We had two wins on the road, out of 9 games against playoff teams in those 28 wins.  One was against offensively challenged Indiana and the other against Brooklyn.

I guess I have a different definition of contender then some of the members here, but one win on the road against a West playoff team ALL SEASON (Golden State) hardly shows that they should be a contender in my book.  But hey, they could come back completely healthy and prove me wrong, I have no problem with that.  I just think this team still has many issues preventing them from contending next season.

Honestly if healthy we probably would be making noise in the playoffs.

We'd have beaten the Spurs with Kobe and if healthy and Blake is there defending Parker in my opinion.

And we'd be going into the second round about to face Golden State who we've beaten all year except the time Pau was getting acclimated. 

Then we'd be going into the next round to play the winner of the Grizzlies and the Thunder.  If the Grizzlies win that series, we could beat the Grizzlies in a half  court vs halfcourt set and if we played the Thunder, they don't have Westbrook so there goes their advantage against Nash and or Blake.

So if you ask would we have made noise in the playoffs.  Definitely, we may have made the finals too.   Because the matchups were very in our favor. 

But Kobe goes down, reality is changed, and we get swept.  It's just how it is sometimes.

Bulls win without Deng, Hinrich, and Rose.

Thibs really gets his players to play with heart, passion and effort. He really gets the best out of his players and gets them prepared. He is the complete OPPOSITE of our coach.

we played with heart and determination.   Bulls have a better bench than us and are a much more focused defensive team.  We had 3rd and 4th stringers starting.   Bulls bench is full of players that could be viable second options on other teams or 6th men.

We both finished with the same record though.    The Nets aren't the Spurs either.

Gotta admit though I love the way the Bulls play and their determination.

If Heinrich never got hurt the Bulls would have won in 5.

I do find it funny how when we beat the Bulls people said they were a nobody team full of injuries.

I wonder what they say now.

Edited by Majesty, May 04, 2013 - 06:43 PM.

#36 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,035 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 06:46 PM

Some of you will never get it, will you? As long as MDA is here, this team will never see the finals, even if healthy. If healthy, yeah we could of passed the first round, but not the finals. MDA's inability to maximize his players talents and to build a system which incorporates them shows. He fails to get his teams ready, completely clueless on adjusting, and fails at every aspect as a head coach.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#37 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,035 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 06:54 PM

we played with heart and determination.

Name one time in the playoffs where we played with heart and determination? I saw passion from Dwight, but that is it.

Bulls have a better bench than us

True

much more focused defensive team.

Which we are not. You can thank our brilliant head coach, Mr. Mike D'Antoni himself, for that.

We had 3rd and 4th stringers starting.

It does not matter whether you are the first or last string. You do not need talent to put in effort.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#38 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,014 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 06:58 PM

Name one time in the playoffs where we played with heart and determination? I saw passion from Dwight, but that is it.

True

Which we are not. You can thank our brilliant head coach, Mr. Mike D'Antoni himself, for that.

It does not matter whether you are the first or last string. You do not need talent to put in effort.

We played with heart the entire first round, it's just a talent and execution difference that was very apparent.

But Goudelock, Morris even, Dwight and even Pau and Nash on one leg and Blake played their hearts out and gave all they could.

The talent difference is just apparent as was the unfamiliarity.  But they never stopped trying.    Nash went till he couldn't physically go anymore, Blake was doing a good job on Parker when he defended him, Goudelock made himself a star in game 3.

We lost all 4 of those games but I never saw us throw up our hands and give up.  We played with heart.   The talent and familiarity difference was just too much once Blake was gone because it meant Parker was gonna go buckshot on us and he did.

But I never saw us play like we gave up.

#39 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,435 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted May 04, 2013 - 07:01 PM

For once I agree with you lol ^

#40 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,035 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 07:06 PM

We played with heart the entire first round, it's just a talent and execution difference that was very apparent.

But Goudelock, Morris even, Dwight and even Pau and Nash on one leg and Blake played their hearts out and gave all they could.

The talent difference is just apparent as was the unfamiliarity. But they never stopped trying. Nash went till he couldn't physically go anymore, Blake was doing a good job on Parker when he defended him, Goudelock made himself a star in game 3.

We lost all 4 of those games but I never saw us throw up our hands and give up. We played with heart. The talent and familiarity difference was just too much once Blake was gone because it meant Parker was gonna go buckshot on us and he did.

But I never saw us play like we gave up.

I forgot about Blake. He was our warrior.

But come on, please tell me you are not still supporting MDA.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users