#1 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,503 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 04, 2013 - 12:11 AM

Being that both the Lakers and Clippers had tremendous promise and hype prior to the season do to amazing Front Office transactions, which team do you believe was the bigger disappointment?

Yeah the Lakers had a star studded lineup, but in all honesty, I thought the Clippers had one of the most talented overall teams in the league.

I personally believe the Clippers to not even make it past the 1st round quite pathetic.  Especially since the core players in Paul, DeAndre, Griffin, Caron, and a few others had already played in the post season along side eachother.  

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#2 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted May 04, 2013 - 12:13 AM

The Lakers were the biggest disappointment and it's not even close.

#3 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,880 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 04, 2013 - 12:35 AM

Lakers had injuries all year.

The Clippers excuse?

56 wins and a first round exit is more disappointing than an injury ridden season where you had to fight to get into the playoffs.

The Lakers may have let down from an "expectation" standpoint.  But in terms of execution and what was accomplished over the course of the season and what each team dealt with and ultimately accomplished?

Tthe Clippers winning 56 and then getting bounced in the first round and swept the last 4 games against Memphis is probably more disappointing.  Especially after all the "depth" they added.

The Lakers got hype before they even played a game together, the Clippers got hype over the course of the season, won their first division banner, was called "the New showtime" and won 56 games, 17 game win streak.

The result?

Getting swept the final 4 games of the series against the Grizzlies. 

That's more disappointing imo than the Lakers season.

Because we saw the struggles all year with the Lakers especially through injuries and never catching a break.

The Clippers caught all the breaks and still didn't make it further than we did in our worst injury ridden year.

Clippers by far.

Edited by Majesty, May 04, 2013 - 12:38 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#4 EJ06

EJ06

Rookie

• 774 posts
  • Fan Since:1995-96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 04, 2013 - 01:54 AM

It was kind of pathetic of the Lakers to only manage a 7th seed and playoff birth on the last day of the season. With their talent, they arguably had the worst regular season in the league.

As for the playoffs....what an utter let down the Clippers are. The Lakers had a D-league team out there the final 3 games. The Clippers had the best PG, a top forward, a fantastic bench, home court and managed lose their final 4 games. I dare them to try and hang a Pacific Division title in Staples. Losers.

#5 Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Rookie

• 388 posts
  • Fan Since:@birth

Posted May 04, 2013 - 03:28 AM

Lakers are the bigger disappointment because the majority of us had them in the championship discussion. Clippers are simply a let down given their regular season record followed by a first round fizzle. Although I can't wait to laugh at them hanging up their division banner.

#6 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,000 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 04, 2013 - 03:52 AM

Lakers EASILY

One of the biggest goofs in sports

Pau Gasol is GONE

#7 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,696 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted May 04, 2013 - 04:00 AM

At the start of the season, the Clippers shortcomings were pretty clear- the coach and the center position.  What caused them to lose?  Largely the coach and the center position.  It was not a championship caliber setup from the start.

Despite the 0-8 preseason, many here were still claiming that the GREATEST STARTING FIVE EVER ASSEMBLED could overcome a mediocre coach, a glaringly bad bench, center coming off major surgery etc.  Expectations here were for a championship and talk centered on whether the team could break records doing it.  What did the Lakers in?  Many injuries several of which were entirely predictable and some of which could have been avoided,  2 bad coaches and a horrible bench.

BOTH teams disappointed.  I call the Lakers the bigger disappointment, but the Clippers issues are more immediately and easily solved.

#8 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,180 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted May 04, 2013 - 06:59 AM

Lakers had injuries all year.

The Clippers excuse?

56 wins and a first round exit is more disappointing than an injury ridden season where you had to fight to get into the playoffs.

The Lakers may have let down from an "expectation" standpoint.  But in terms of execution and what was accomplished over the course of the season and what each team dealt with and ultimately accomplished?

Tthe Clippers winning 56 and then getting bounced in the first round and swept the last 4 games against Memphis is probably more disappointing.  Especially after all the "depth" they added.

The Lakers got hype before they even played a game together, the Clippers got hype over the course of the season, won their first division banner, was called "the New showtime" and won 56 games, 17 game win streak.

The result?

Getting swept the final 4 games of the series against the Grizzlies. 

That's more disappointing imo than the Lakers season.

Because we saw the struggles all year with the Lakers especially through injuries and never catching a break.

The Clippers caught all the breaks and still didn't make it further than we did in our worst injury ridden year.

Clippers by far.

Majesty, you are brain dead.  We all understand that you are the biggest Lakers apologist in the world, I mean, you should be, Kobe is your cousin. LOLZ.  The Clippers caught all the breaks?  In their elimination game their best player had a minor injury, and their second best was barely able to even suit up and was ineffective.  The Lakers are one of the biggest flops in sports history, not NBA history, the entirety of sports.  At the beginning of the season fans and analysts were predicting the most wins in NBA regular season history, there was a thread on this very site almost guaranteeing from every member 65 plus wins.  They barely made the playoffs and weren't competitive in a single one of those games, in their "dream" matchup against the Spurs.  The Clippers played against a team in the first round of the playoffs that had basically the same record as them and was better suited to playoff basketball, the result is what you see.  They had a good season, they will probably have similar seasons in the future, nobody that knows basketball takes them seriously, as they are currently constructed they are a regular season team.  Which is more than the Lakers are currently.

#9 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted May 04, 2013 - 07:30 AM

The Laker season was a disappointment because of where we thought we were going to be a championship team only to be swept in the first round

but the CLIPPERS had almost everybody healthy and they still couldn't get it done... that's more embarrassing if you ask me

#10 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,766 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 04, 2013 - 07:35 AM

Ahh feels good being right, the Clippers messed up because well their the damn clippers.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#11 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,198 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 04, 2013 - 07:42 AM

The Lakers, no contest. I don't hold the Clippers to the same standard.

#12 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,345 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 07:53 AM

Looking at the season in its entirety? The Lakers. 

But looking how the season progressed and ended? The Clippers. 

The Lakers had sky high expectations to start the season which started with inconsistent play and injuries from the get go.  The were never fully healthy at any point during the season and soon we were just a team battling to make the playoffs. With Kobe going down, Nash being hobbled, Metta on one leg, the expectations to do anything in the playoffs was non-existent (to the fans that were realistic about things).

The Clippers on the other hand were a team that came out of the gate full speed and really showed their worth. Setting franchise records in wins, sweeping the Lakers for the first time ever, winning their first Pacific Division title, etc.  As they entered the playoffs, the expectations were high for the Clippers.  For them to be up 2-0, then to lose four straight and be ousted in the first round is pretty bad even for the Clippers, especially since this was their best season ever.

#13 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,698 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 04, 2013 - 08:09 AM

Put it like this.

By January the Lakers knew they were out of the championship discussion.

If I were fans if the Clips, Nuggets or Thunder , I would be more depressed than I was as a Lakers fan.

#14 erfolk

erfolk

Rookie

• 610 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted May 04, 2013 - 09:08 AM

I think its the Clippers. The have the most overrated so called superstar in Griffen. There paying there center ten million a year to dunk. Paul is a beast don't get me wrong. But all that crap about lob city and its a Clippers town was BS. Also I hate there announcers Mike Smith and Ralph Lawler. Those are true homers right there

#15 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,463 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 09:11 AM

what bad laker season? * suffering 2012-2013 laker season amnesia *

bw1wOGf.png

#16 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,880 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 04, 2013 - 09:34 AM

Looking at the season in its entirety? The Lakers. 

But looking how the season progressed and ended? The Clippers. 

The Lakers had sky high expectations to start the season which started with inconsistent play and injuries from the get go.  The were never fully healthy at any point during the season and soon we were just a team battling to make the playoffs. With Kobe going down, Nash being hobbled, Metta on one leg, the expectations to do anything in the playoffs was non-existent (to the fans that were realistic about things).

The Clippers on the other hand were a team that came out of the gate full speed and really showed their worth. Setting franchise records in wins, sweeping the Lakers for the first time ever, winning their first Pacific Division title, etc.  As they entered the playoffs, the expectations were high for the Clippers.  For them to be up 2-0, then to lose four straight and be ousted in the first round is pretty bad even for the Clippers, especially since this was their best season ever.

Series reminded me of Cleveland series against Orlando except without the win in terms of the shift and the way it ended.

Chris Paul needed a game winner otherwise they'd have gotten swept in 5, they wound up getting swept in 6.  

Thing is, I think they lost the series after it was apparent that a collective performance like they had in game one wasn't gonna happen again and they showed their best hand and the Grizzlies adjusted and had them pretty figured out halfway through game 2.  From that point on the entire Clippers offense was what it was all year, it was "Save us CP3" basketball  and they pulled one out and then no more.

Edited by Majesty, May 04, 2013 - 09:40 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#17 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,919 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 09:38 AM

Has to be the Lakers. Damn injuries ruined the whole season.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#18 stillshining

stillshining

Rookie

• 256 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted May 04, 2013 - 10:18 AM

It's not even close IMO, the Lakers did not show at any time this year that they were a championship team, I never really got any glimpses whatsoever. The Clippers had a 17-0 month of December and actually won 55+ games...

Theres no doubt that the Clippers have seem to taken a step backwards but if we being real the Grizzlies are one of the true contenders in the league and they match up with the Clippers as good as any team in the leauge, they got beat in seven games (lost game 1 and 7 at home) with homecourt advantage last year so they returned the favor. This whole series took just another dimension when Griffin suffered the high ankle sprain, if you thought Vinny didn't know how to run a offense you shoudlve saw what he was doing out there with basically no Griffin. The difference of the series was the coaching

I think there's no one in the league that played this year that was as disappointing as the Lakers, let alone their neighbors. When you have a 100+ mill dedicated to a team that failed to win one playoff game, it's the definition of disappointing. I know we Laker fans but if we honest we would compare this team to the all time great disappointments in league history, not to a team with lower expectations yet better results...

#19 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 04, 2013 - 10:19 AM

Lakers.

#20 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,919 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 10:19 AM

It's not even close IMO, the Lakers did not show at any time this year that they were a championship team,

Stop. 28-12 in last 40 games of the season. 2nd best record in the West. 8-4 vs teams in playoffs contention.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users