#41 stillshining

stillshining

Rookie

• 329 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted May 05, 2013 - 09:08 AM

Kobe was, hands down, the best player in the NBA for the 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 seasons.

I'll argue 2003 as well.

Seven MVP's sounds ridiculous, but then again, Michael Jordan was the best player in the NBA for nearly his entire career.

They wouldn't want to change the award to reflect the best player in the league, though, because at that point, you're not featuring many players over the last few decades.

I'd argue 2003 as well, Kobe was tearing the record books for really the first time in his career and was easily the most complete player in the entire league. It was hard to swallow because the same player that won it the year before won it again. I never understood how a player could win this award two years in a row with basically the same type of year and not reward the dude tearing up the record books (it happened in 2006 too!). I think you're reaching a bit with the 2005 season, injuries and a completely new scene made things tough but you can't be the best player in the game

#42 Ace

Ace

Rookie

• 579 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 05, 2013 - 07:05 PM

Best player in the league on the best team in the league. More than deserving of the award.

Once he got serious after blowing it against Dallas in 2011 he's been unstoppable. Just a ridiculously high level of play.

This.

Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't. -Jerry Rice

#43 Yaboy

Yaboy

Sixth Man

• 3,883 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 05, 2013 - 10:20 PM

At least he didn't win the award unanimously. 

de__anthony_thomas_by_eksde-d5e4v29.png

"Love me or hate me it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, hate my swagger, hate my fade-away, my hunger, hate that i'm a veteran, A champion, hate that. Hate it with all your heart, and hate that i'm loved for the exact same reasons." - Kobe

#44 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,710 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted May 06, 2013 - 06:49 AM

Yeah but no matter what criteria they use LeBron is still the clear winner. All 3 of his MVP he had great numbers plus his team finished first.

If you're gonna complain that LeBron shouldn't have won MVP last year because they didn't have the best record then fine by me. He'll still have 3 MVPs. But then again you have to apply that to Kobe's 1 MVP since his team didn't have the best record when he won MVP back in 08.

kobe had the best team in 09..

Edited by Carpe Diem, May 06, 2013 - 06:50 AM.

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#45 UNLABORED FLAWLESS

UNLABORED FLAWLESS

Rookie

• 582 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 06, 2013 - 11:34 AM

Yeah but no matter what criteria they use LeBron is still the clear winner. All 3 of his MVP he had great numbers plus his team finished first.

If you're gonna complain that LeBron shouldn't have won MVP last year because they didn't have the best record then fine by me. He'll still have 3 MVPs. But then again you have to apply that to Kobe's 1 MVP since his team didn't have the best record when he won MVP back in 08.

your missing the point of the post. The same reasons the media used to disqualify Kobe from mvp awards are the same things they overlook to justify lebron winning the award. Its as plain as day to see that, as i clearly exposed in my analysis 

#46 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,112 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 06, 2013 - 11:44 AM

The only way LJ won't be winning the mvp every year is if the Lakers end up having the best record in the NBA and Kobe is beasting. That is the only player that can take over the Lebron train. Or OKC having an amazing year and KD average 40 a game.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#47 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,919 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted May 06, 2013 - 06:26 PM

Difference is, Kobe and Shaq split votes.  They were arguably the two best players in the NBA at the time (with Tim Duncan).

I don't think they split votes as much as they cost each other 1st place votes.

When you look at the totals from 2001-2004, there is really not a discernible pattern I can see that shows that if one guy had the other guys votes, he could've won the award.

2001 and 2004 were not even competitive, leaving only 2002 and 2003 as legitimate years for discussion.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users