#1 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 02, 2013 - 05:39 PM

bron.jpg

In any sport, on any level, nothing boosts confidence more than recognition, and this could be accepted in many different ways: in written articles through the media, championship banners, and landing a spot on ESPN SportsCenter’s Top 10 Plays, to name a few. For individuals, aside from championship rings, nothing spawns more respect than season-ending awards.

It’s no secret that most of these will be easy to predict, so instead of sharing who I feel will win, I’ve decided to point out who should take home each award.

There’s no better individual trophy than the one that reads, “Most Valuable Player,” so it’s only fitting that I begin with it.

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER: LEBRON JAMES, MIAMI HEAT

I feel I need to take time to define this award. The way I view it, votes should go to the best player in the league that leads a team winning 50 or more games. Is that how the league feels? Absolutely not, because as we know, players like Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin Garnett, and Derrick Rose were not the overall best in the league when their names were etched into history.

If it is handed to the most valuable player to his team, you have to consider Kobe Bryant. Add a restriction of just 50-win teams, and Carmelo Anthony is your top candidate. All of this can be compared to the “Kobe and Shaq” effect, who possess a combined two MVP awards because, simply put, their dominance as a duo eliminated their votes as individual MVP candidates.

However, the MVP trophy should, and will, go to LeBron James, for many reasons. The Miami Heat did come away with the best record in the NBA, by six games, and also won the East over the New York Knicks by 12 games. The 27-game win streak, the efficiency, and the overall game can’t be ignored here, and while players like Kevin Durant and Chris Paul made things interesting, most will claim it’s not even a race.

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: PAUL GEORGE, INDIANA PACERS

Generally, big man defensive anchors will get the nod here, so if I’m asked who I expected to win, I would have said Roy Hibbert.

Let’s pretend we’re done picking from the list of big men, though. The league’s elite perimeter defenders include Tony Allen, Avery Bradley, Luol Deng, Andre Iguodala, and a standout named Paul George. The easiest way I can explain this pick is by stating that the current Indiana Pacers squad is ranked in the top 10, of all time (eliminating lockout teams, because offensive and defensive numbers were haywire), among all defensive teams according to opponent field goal percentage. Not only did they hold opponents to an average of just 42 percent shooting, but they also limited them to a league-best 32.7 percent from beyond the arc. Those statistics compare to the 2008 Boston Celtics, who ended up winning the NBA championship that season.

The combination of George’s elite defense on perimeter players, and Hibbert’s presence in the paint, has propelled Indiana from 9th on the defensive end (last season) to 1st in many major defensive categories. Hibbert protects the paint, but George takes the toughest assignments night in and night out, and finds success against most.

Read the rest here: http://www.discussho...a-season-awards

And you don't have to worry about ads, redirects, or spyware when visiting my blog. There are no ads, has nothing to do with Sulia, and nothing should load up aside from articles and the basketball scoreboard to the right.

#2 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,035 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 05:48 PM

You would not quote the whole article because you want your blog to get hits :P

---------------------

I agree with everything except with Most Improved (I had George).

For Coach of the Year, I also have Karl. Despite my hate for the Heat, Spoelstra needs consideration at well. It is hard to take a team to the next level after winning a championship  especially winning 27 games in a row. But Karl has done a terrific job maximizing his talent and getting his team to play as a team.

For Executive of the Year, not saying that he should win it, but the Clippers GM needs consideration as well.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#3 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 06:02 PM

You would not quote the whole article because you want your blog to get hits :P

If I had ads, then that would be true. Hits really mean little to nothing to me.

But the truth is, we can actually get into trouble quoting with full articles, and I've been warned of this twice in the past (if I recall correctly, it was by ESPN and Yahoo, back in 2005 or 2006...too long ago). I've never done it, eight years of owning and running sites, so I'm just used to it. Of course, I'm wouldn't get my own place (meaning, LN) in trouble if one of you quoted the full article, but again, for the sake of being consistent, I post a few blocks of text + the link back, for every article, any location.

#4 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 06:04 PM

Regarding Paul George, I think he was nearly there last season, showing he could be an all-star player to eventually replace Danny Granger...so it's tough for me to give him that award when it was expected with the increased role. It didn't help that his shooting percentages fell quite a bit.

#5 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,035 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 06:13 PM

If I had ads, then that would be true. Hits really mean little to nothing to me.

But the truth is, we can actually get into trouble quoting with full articles, and I've been warned of this twice in the past (if I recall correctly, it was by ESPN and Yahoo, back in 2005 or 2006...too long ago). I've never done it, eight years of owning and running sites, so I'm just used to it. Of course, I'm wouldn't get my own place (meaning, LN) in trouble if one of you quoted the full article, but again, for the sake of being consistent, I post a few blocks of text + the link back, for every article, any location.

So we can't quote articles anymore now????????

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#6 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 06:27 PM

So we can't quote articles anymore now????????

It's been that way since I put the forums up, but I don't think Jaime added it to our guidelines, and I've turned my head when other members have done it.

But it's understandable why you can't quote the articles in full. Yahoo simply told me they feel I was publishing content I did not own, since full article posting made it unnecessary to visit their site.

#7 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,666 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted May 03, 2013 - 02:13 AM

Yo Brandon, I'm not dissing you or anything but your writing is of extreme quality. Non-Biased, tell it as it is, and it's very good work. Only problem I have is your picture all the way on the bottom lol. Very gangster-ish lol and I think a formal picture would suit your articles better.

(My opinion)

Anywho, even though the Lakers were a complete failure this year, Mitch deserves the executive of the year award. Luring two major players and not losing Pau Gasol or Metta was a work of magic.

#8 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,717 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 03, 2013 - 11:03 AM

Its funny because I think Dwight may have still won DPOY, but our team D was so bad.

I liked Avery Bradley's D, Tony Allen and Asik's. Paul George I would not have voted for.

Miami 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users