#61 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 1,993 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted May 02, 2013 - 06:08 PM

@MAJESTY

those vids made me like Webster. He reminds me of a Spurs wing player; like a danny green - a good shooter(better than meeks) ; and he can put the ball on the floor a little bit; and he can finish at the rim.

personally; i prefer players who live off putting the ball on the floor. but, Webster would still help our team ; because he is no MWP or Meeks when it comes to driving. Webster is more,like i said, a Danny Green.

id prefer to start Webster rather than bringing him off the bench. we need more of a shot creator to lead the bench; more of a pg (blake can playt the 2)

with all that said; Webster would be 100 times better than MWP for our starting lineup. i like him for that role;dont love him,but like him.

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#62 LakerD

LakerD

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • Fan Since:1984
  • Fav. Laker:Cooop

Posted May 02, 2013 - 09:47 PM

Long time lurker and first post so please be kind.

There are a lot of scenarios out there. Some discussed already.

What about revisiting Rondo and Garnett for Pau and Blake. Salaries are pretty close.
Why?
Lakers go all in next year with Kobe, Rondo, Garnett, Dwight assuming he signs. Much better defensive team.
Celtics get out of 2nd year of Rondo and Garnett and get 2 expiring contracts next year. Pierce also drops off.

We would have a two year window.

Any thoughts?

Edited by LakerD, May 02, 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#63 Holden_Magroin

Holden_Magroin

Rookie

• 53 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar & Kobe

Posted May 02, 2013 - 09:51 PM

Long time lurker and first post so please be kind.

There are a lot of scenarios out there. Some discussed already.

What about revisiting Rondo and Garnett for Pau and Blake. Salaries are pretty close.
Why?
Lakers go all in next year with Kobe, Rondo, Garnett, Dwight assuming he signs. Much better defensive team.
Celtics get out of 2nd year of Rondo and Garnett and get 2 expiring contracts next year. Pierce also drops off.

We would have a two year window.

Any thoughts?

Of course the Lakers do that trade, but why would the celtics? I don't seem them giving up KG and Rondo, more like KG and Paul Pierce and even that is a little ridiculous. 

#64 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,322 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 02, 2013 - 09:58 PM

I say we keep Pau, unless we can land Kevin Love. I think LA should throw EVERYTHING at Minnesota to get him. Meeks, Hill, Pau as well as take on a "bad" deal. Kevin Love is the quality of player we'd be looking at signing next season, so why wait.

#65 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,040 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted May 02, 2013 - 10:17 PM

Don't expect Pau to be traded this offseason...much better offers will come for him around February of next year and if the Lakers are lucky enough to keep Dwight, they will NOT be under the gun to make a move before then...

If the goal is to not take back bad contracts, then the offers won't get any better at the trading deadline next season. Teams that want him for his expiring contract will want the Lakers to take back bad contracts.

You want teams to value him as a player if you don't want to take on bad contracts. His value as a player is as good as it will get.

Posted Image

#66 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,767 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 03, 2013 - 12:32 AM

If the goal is to not take back bad contracts, then the offers won't get any better at the trading deadline next season. Teams that want him for his expiring contract will want the Lakers to take back bad contracts.

You want teams to value him as a player if you don't want to take on bad contracts. His value as a player is as good as it will get.

I think you misunderstood.  If we are looking to make a big splash next offseason with money, we can just hold on to Pau past the deadline...

But if the object is to find a running mate for Dwight (which I'm sure it is), finding a team that wants to rebuild by dumping their current franchise player for a buttload of cap savings ($20M - Pau).

That's what I'm talking about...

Or if a player is disgruntled and their team decides to move forward rebuilding and take their chances in the offseason landing a new player with cap space.

So the "better offers" aren't about the amount of money we take back...it's about finding the future running mate for Dwight...which is the point of the 2014 plan...

#67 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,040 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 08:46 AM

I think you misunderstood.  If we are looking to make a big splash next offseason with money, we can just hold on to Pau past the deadline...

But if the object is to find a running mate for Dwight (which I'm sure it is), finding a team that wants to rebuild by dumping their current franchise player for a buttload of cap savings ($20M - Pau).

That's what I'm talking about...

Or if a player is disgruntled and their team decides to move forward rebuilding and take their chances in the offseason landing a new player with cap space.

So the "better offers" aren't about the amount of money we take back...it's about finding the future running mate for Dwight...which is the point of the 2014 plan...

I highly doubt the Lakers get a 2nd option-on-a-championship-team type player for an expiring contract. When the Lakers got Pau, they gave up 1st round draft picks and Marc Gasol. Not only that, I don't think any team hit a wall with their best player like the Grizzlies did at the time with Pau. Things aligned at that time.

Posted Image

#68 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 03, 2013 - 08:52 AM

at this point we should just keep him and let his contract expire next season I don't see us making a championship run next year

#69 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,040 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 08:55 AM

at this point we should just keep him and let his contract expire next season I don't see us making a championship run next year

The Lakers should try to trade him for other players who are expiring AND can help this team. It's unlikely the Lakers make a run next year, but it's zero with Pau still on the team.

There's no harm in trying if the Lakers don't take back big long term money.

Posted Image

#70 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 08:58 AM

The Lakers should try to trade him for other players who are expiring AND can help this team. It's unlikely the Lakers make a run next year, but it's zero with Pau still on the team.

There's no harm in trying if the Lakers don't take back big long term money.

That's so stupid... If we aren't going to make a run next year what's the point of trading him?!? to get more contracts for players with longer contracts that will tie up the books again!??!

Just wait it out and let Kobe and Pau conract expire so we will have 50 million in cap space to do what ever we want

#71 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,040 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 09:00 AM

That's so stupid... If we aren't going to make a run next year what's the point of trading him?!? to get more contracts for players with longer contracts that will tie up the books again!??!

Just wait it out and let Kobe and Pau conract expire so we will have 50 million in cap space to do what ever we want

Read my post again.

Posted Image

#72 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 09:05 AM

Read my post again.

I did and it's still stupid.   this statement makes NO SENSE.. "The Lakers should try to trade him for other players who are expiring AND can help this team. It's unlikely the Lakers make a run next year"

so we trade away a 20 million dollar expiring contract for other expiring contracts so we can go on a run but then you said it's unlikely the lakers make a run next year?!?!

that's stupid

#73 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,040 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 09:06 AM

I did and it's still stupid.   this statement makes NO SENSE.. "The Lakers should try to trade him for other players who are expiring AND can help this team. It's unlikely the Lakers make a run next year"

so we trade away a 20 million dollar expiring contract for other expiring contracts so we can go on a run but then you said it's unlikely the lakers make a run next year?!?!

that's stupid

Its unlikely to happen, but what's the harm in trying? There's no risk if the Lakers don't take back long term money. It gives the Lakers a slightly better chance of winning. And, the Lakers would still have the cap space after next season.

Why shouldn't Lakers try to improve their team if it doesn't affect future plans at all. Expiring contracts are expiring contracts.

Edited by Japago, May 03, 2013 - 09:13 AM.

Posted Image

#74 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 09:13 AM

Its unlikely to happen, but what's the harm in trying? There's no risk if the Lakers don't take back long term money. It gives the Lakers a slightly better chance of winning. And, the Lakers would still have the cap space after next season.

Trade Pau for other expiring contracts. Those contracts would also expire after next season, so it's the same thing.

Name players that are expiring next season that we could trade Pau for that would help our team under Dantoni's offense!??!?

Like I said the smart thing to do is to wait till the 2014 offseason to make another run and Kobe is not even going to be a 100% by the beginning of the season he might not be back till LATE (unless he does something amazing during his rehab)

by the 2014 Offseason Kobe will be 100% Dwight will be100% and we will be able to form a championship caliber team around them that offseason

#75 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,040 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 09:15 AM

Name players that are expiring next season that we could trade Pau for that would help our team under Dantoni's offense!??!?

Like I said the smart thing to do is to wait till the 2014 offseason to make another run and Kobe is not even going to be a 100% by the beginning of the season he might not be back till LATE (unless he does something amazing during his rehab)

by the 2014 Offseason Kobe will be 100% Dwight will be100% and we will be able to form a championship caliber team around them that offseason

Plenty. I suggested Trevor Ariza and Emeka Okafor. Danny Granger plus filler would help more too.

Pau struggled most of the season. Had he not gone through those initial struggles, the Lakers would have been better this season. I think even a collection of role players would help more.

If the Lakers have to take back long term money, then don't do it. But, they should try improving while keeping 2014 cap space open. The Mavericks managed to add solid players who are expiring contracts last season. It's possible.

Edited by Japago, May 03, 2013 - 09:27 AM.

Posted Image

#76 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,354 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 09:20 AM

If MDA is staying, Pau is most likely gone.  He was pretty professional in his exit interview when asked about his relationship with him, but we all know there's a major disconnect there.  I've never seen Pau be so vocal in the media before this season. 

He'll probably end up in Minnesota.  I wouldn't mind a Gasol for Kirilenko/Williams/Filler type deal, which is something Minnesota could do which would give a Gasol/Love front court along with Rubio running the show. 

There's different deals that can happen.  Many here love to down play the expiring contract aspect but an expiring 19 million in this CBA is huge. There will be options and if we do end up trading Gasol, acquiring an athletic perimeter guy and a solid bench player would more than enough for Gasol. 

I think the two most likely moves are a Gasol trade and the amnesty of Metta. 

#77 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,280 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 11:17 AM

We got to do something, and you don't keep a roster together that got the 8-7 seed. We ain't a young team that is building.

┬íHala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#78 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,184 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted May 03, 2013 - 11:51 AM

We got to do something, and you don't keep a roster together that got the 8-7 seed. We ain't a young team that is building.

They are doing something. Standing pat and letting those contracts expire is their best play. Whomever thinks they are going to trade Pau for other expiring contracts is high.

#79 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,728 posts
  • Name:Ignacio

Posted May 03, 2013 - 11:56 AM

Yes, a 33-year-old veteran will not bring anything else to the table, he was playing very well at the end of the season but he is definitely expendable and we should trade him ASAP in order to get our missing pieces: fast PG and athletic wing. 

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#80 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,040 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 04:30 PM

They are doing something. Standing pat and letting those contracts expire is their best play. Whomever thinks they are going to trade Pau for other expiring contracts is high.

Why not? According to his fans, he should still have some value as a player. I think he showed enough value at the end of the season that the Lakers can get at least some solid players for him.

If he has any value beyond being an expiring contract, he should be able to be traded for a package that has similar money/remaining years on their contracts combined.

Edited by Japago, May 03, 2013 - 04:32 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users