#1 zmarchbank

zmarchbank

Rookie

• 132 posts
  • Name:Zach
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Pau, Fisher

Posted May 01, 2013 - 05:30 PM

Let me preface what I'm about to say with this: I completely understand/agree that Pau's production for his price is unacceptable. It's not just his $19 million contract. It's the luxury tax penalties that will occur because of his overpriced contract too. 

But I think there is one negative aspect to trading Pau that is enough to justify keeping him and that reason is tampering with the 2014 free agency plan.

If we trade Pau just to trade Pau, our options are limited. We're not going to get a return for him that we would have gotten 2-3  years ago and we're probably going to have to take on a mishmash of players that don't necessarily contribute any more than Pau does. The worst part is that chances are that at least one (probably more though) of the players we'd be trading for would have contracts longer than one year, thus hurting our cap space down the road. So it's taking on two to three players at (on average to equal Pau's salary) about 6 or 7 million each that would extend past 2014 and mess up our potential to rebuild that summer. 

If we kept Pau, we could eat his contract for one more year and then get complete relief after that. We could even re-sign him at a rate that makes sense for his level of production at this stage in his career (assuming he'd be willing to take that pay cut, which he'd have to do anywhere he goes). Having Pau as a rotation player/backup center for 5-6 million isn't so bad.

The bottom line is Pau is most likely going to be better than any individual player we would receive if we traded him. So instead of trading him and taking on possibly three contracts, we could wait one year and get Pau on a reasonabe contract or even let him go and get the entire 19 million of cap space.

Plus, it'd keep our core together for one more year and give the team another chance to try to avoid all these injuries and make a run at it. 

All bets are off if we get some crazy offer for Pau though of course.

tl;dr version: Instead of trading Pau, we might be better off letting his contract expire and re-signing him for a reasonable contract or just letting him walk instead of taking on multiple, longer contracts that would interfere with our 2014 free agency plan.

Edited by zmarchbank, May 02, 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#2 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,196 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 01, 2013 - 05:32 PM

It depends what we're getting back and if Dwight is remaining so we'd see what pieces they'd be to be built around him.

Aside from Webster no big time free agent or starting lineup player would come here without a trade package involving Pau. 

That's just the reality of it.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#3 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,183 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 01, 2013 - 05:33 PM

If mda is still here, any fa plan is pointless.

Keeping pau is one of the worst decisions that could come about. He sucks...let him sabotage some other team...not us.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#4 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,432 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted May 01, 2013 - 05:36 PM

I was honestly on the "trade Pau" bandwagon all season, but I still think that Pau has shown towards the end of this season that he can still contribute. I'm all for keeping him next season AS LONG AS Mitch can find other ways to sign young, athletic guys. This is where the problem lies. We must get these guys one way or another, and without trading Pau, we are very limited. We could trade Pau to a team like Houston or Minnesota and get 2 or 3 athletic players. Would any one of them be as good as Pau? No. But we just can't continue getting beat up and down the floor.

A successful team should be able to have 4 guys racing down the floor with the center trailing. It hurts us tremendously having Dwight, Pau, and MWP (for the most part) lagging behind.

#5 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,752 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 01, 2013 - 05:48 PM

Why the hell would we keep Pau?????

He sucked yet again in the playoffs. His time is up as a Laker. Not another year.

#6 zmarchbank

zmarchbank

Rookie

• 132 posts
  • Name:Zach
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Pau, Fisher

Posted May 01, 2013 - 05:50 PM

Why the hell would we keep Pau?????

He sucked yet again in the playoffs. His time is up as a Laker. Not another year.

You'd rather take on players that don't contribute for multiple years instead of Pau for only one more year?

#7 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 8,979 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Grant

Posted May 01, 2013 - 06:15 PM

Indifferent.

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

#8 Dwight Rules All

Dwight Rules All

Rookie

• 71 posts
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted May 01, 2013 - 06:37 PM

Yes, we need to keep Pau. Put him at center and let him play to his strengths. 

#9 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,196 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 01, 2013 - 06:40 PM

Yes, we need to keep Pau. Put him at center and let him play to his strengths. 

if Dwight re-signs with us.the only way he(Gasol) plays center is off the bench or for another team

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#10 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,253 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted May 01, 2013 - 06:45 PM

If mda is still here, any fa plan is pointless.

Keeping pau is one of the worst decisions that could come about. He sucks...let him sabotage some other team...not us.

What is wrong with you? The only time I ever see you post on the forum is when you [expletive] about Pau. Chill out, stop holding grudges. It's pretty sad to see a guy that hates on a person as much as you do.

I don't want him to be traded, he proved that still has a lot of value to this team when used correctly.

Edited by MrKnowItAll, May 01, 2013 - 06:48 PM.

#11 EJ06

EJ06

Rookie

• 775 posts
  • Fan Since:1995-96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 01, 2013 - 06:48 PM

If we kept Howard, we should try and keep Gasol. If we lose Howard, dropping Gasol is obvious.

#12 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,439 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted May 01, 2013 - 06:52 PM

Pau needs to go.

Not only because of his deteriorating play but because his bloated expiring contract is our only chance to finally bring in some young perimeter players and perhaps a draft pick.

Anyone who says otherwise just doesn't know what they are talking about. It's pretty simple to see shipping Pau out for young assets is better than keeping him. I honestly don't see what's so hard about coming to terms with that.

#13 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,253 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted May 01, 2013 - 06:56 PM

Pau needs to go.

Not only because of his deteriorating play but because his bloated expiring contract is our only chance to finally bring in some young perimeter players and perhaps a draft pick.

Anyone who says otherwise just doesn't know what they are talking about. It's pretty simple to see shipping Pau out for young assets is better than keeping him. I honestly don't see what's so hard about coming to terms with that.

Ok Mr. General Manager, lets just call up a team and offer them Pau for good young players and draft picks. You don't think they've tried that?

#14 Dwight Rules All

Dwight Rules All

Rookie

• 71 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 06:56 PM

if Dwight re-signs with us.the only way he(Gasol) plays center is off the bench or for another team

If he goes to another team he will be much better player than he has been here the last few years. We will all be wondering where that Pau was when he was with us. Pau will get to play his natural position in the post. It's been clogged with both Dwight and Bynum the last few seasons. I don't think he will have that problem on another team,.

#15 Dwight Rules All

Dwight Rules All

Rookie

• 71 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 06:58 PM

It's a drag though because he out rebounded our center in the Spurs series. Oh well.

#16 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,420 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted May 01, 2013 - 06:58 PM

If they aren't getting an expiring contract back, then no way.  That huge contract going into 2013-2014 free agency is absolute gold.  Trading Pau for a player or some players will not make the Lakers contenders, rebuilding intelligently will.

#17 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,888 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted May 01, 2013 - 07:04 PM

You'd rather take on players that don't contribute for multiple years instead of Pau for only one more year?

who says we would take bad players.

#18 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,439 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 07:06 PM

Ok Mr. General Manager, lets just call up a team and offer them Pau for good young players and draft picks. You don't think they've tried that?

I don't think they've been willing to give up too much on the dollar before. Now they are, and now teams will be willing to meet them halfway now that Pau's contract is expiring.

Go ahead and keep Pau, then get nothing for him once he walks in '14. A few young pieces and cap relief should be good enough for anyone at this stage in Pau's career.

#19 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,439 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 07:07 PM

It's a drag though because he out rebounded our center in the Spurs series. Oh well.

Don't start that crap again.

#20 Dwight Rules All

Dwight Rules All

Rookie

• 71 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 07:15 PM

Don't start that crap again.

O.K. sir. I will just listen and agree with u. I guess the fact that he out rebounded Dwight in the playoffs and is number 4 in the NBA hits you in the wrong way. Nobody wants to hear that. People like to say the bad about Pau and I like to say the good, but if this bothers you I will stop. I don't want to cause any problems here. Sorry about that.

Edited by lakersfandude, May 01, 2013 - 07:16 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users