42 replies to this topic

#1 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,366 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 01, 2013 - 12:30 PM

The more I listen to Mitch's interview on the radio, other scenarios and so called "inside" source of the lakers, the more I think that the Lakers won't do any huge deal or even hiring anybody big for next season.  In fact, they might keep Pau on the team with the same core group. The only thing they will do is amnesty Metta.  Mike D will be the coach and the same core group of guys will be back.  Because it seems like the Lakers are focusing on getting as much cap spaces as possible end of next season to make a huge splash.  The only thing that is considered a "big splash" is signing D12 which alot of people expect that to happen. Almost everybody said the Lakers goal is to get everybody off the books for 2014 for a huge splash. Really hard to do that if we make any huge moves this off season  

Here are my reasons.  Trading Pau is pointless because we have to get the same value in terms of money back. Not in terms of players because not many players are as good as pau.  Some say they can trade Pau to the wolves for Love, a bad contract of Jefferson and a couple of draft picks but that mean the Lakers will be stuck with Love 3 year deal. Minnasota would love it but lakers wont. Or Lakers can trade Pau for a bunch of nobodies with bad contracts but still the Lakers have to match or atleast have 70% equal value in terms of contract. So even if lakers trade pau, we still have to pay the luxury tax. And they can't amnesty Pau because Metta World Piece will still be a laker with his over priced contract and he is useless like tits on a bull. 

Now everybody in the world including their grandmas want the Lakers to fire Mike D Antoni. Thats great but who are they going to hire that will satisfied Lakers fan? The only person to name is the Zen Master. Everybody knows Phillip wants more than just a coaching gig. And everybody knows paying the Zen Master is like paying 3 head coaches at once. I know its not your money so who do you care right? I know the Lakers do make billions of dollars from the tv deal so money is not an issue right? Wrong.  It is a lot more complicated than just hiring Phil Jackson to coach. They have to see what he really want to do. If he is the GM and coach like Pat Riley, that makes Mitch Kupchak irrelevant and I like Mitch. If he works with mitch and make all decisions, that makes Jim Buss irrelevant and I doubt Jim wants that. Power struggle between sister and brother? More drama? Fans dont think that deep but it will happen if Phil is the coach. And that 2014 big splash might have issue because who knows if phil wants to coach more than two years. So it is a lot cheaper to keep MDA and if he suck, they can get rid of him after next season and wont cost them that much. And I doubt the Zen will still be available end of next season. Remember Mike Brown is still getting paid until maybe sometime next year when he is off the books.

And last but not least, the bench mob or lack of.  The only splash the lakers will do is clean out the bench.  Unfortnately there are a couple of guys we are stuck with like a Duhon of the world and a Sacre but everybody else probably be gone. Lakers have to find somebody who is willing to play for cheap. Who is out there? Nobody. We dont have a Rick Fox who is good enough to start but willing to take mid level. We dont have a Shane Battier who is good enough to start but willing to go cheap.  They all going to Miami to dine with Lebron. So expect the Lakers to get a bunch of nobodys on the bench and hope the starters will be all heatlhy next year. ANd hope MDA will use atleast 10 guys on his rotation instead of 7.

So I dont think anything big will happen this off season. Lakers are willing to throw away a full season to get out of a huge salary cap than get into another huge cap by signing somebody big. As much as I want them to change the coach it is rare that a team changes coach every season. The lakers did that since Phil jackson left. Lakers dont want to change another coach. Which means the past 3 season there are 3 different coaches.  

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#2 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,966 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted May 01, 2013 - 12:32 PM

POPULAR

berneydidnotread.gif?1318992465

#3 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 01, 2013 - 12:38 PM

First order of business is getting rid of Pau (he sucks and he continues to prove it) and MDA. You take care of these two problems if you want to win championships.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#4 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,350 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted May 01, 2013 - 12:48 PM

First order of business is getting rid of Pau (he sucks and he continues to prove it) and MDA. You take care of these two problems if you want to win championships.

Basically start with this 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#5 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,280 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 12:54 PM

I wonder what is the tax we'll pay if we amnesty MWP.

and there is still not much option for "huge splash" in 2014 summer. Lebron is an unrealistic target. So is Melo. Other good names are : Restricted FA Paul George (who will probably offered super-Max by Pacers with their cap situation), Luol Deng, Eric Bledsoe, Rudy Gay (who will probably don't use the player option) and Kyle Lowry... We can still trade Pau for some prospects in return. A lottery pick especially would be terrific considering the big names that summer.

I agree with Kobe about rebuilding and forming that togetherness from scratch with new additions on the team but we still have major problems that need to be addressed and we don't have much options to improve in those lacking areas.

#6 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,564 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 01, 2013 - 12:55 PM

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#7 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 4,020 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 01, 2013 - 01:00 PM

Hope your wrong, dont want to see another season like this for the Lakers ever again.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#8 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 01, 2013 - 01:12 PM

Gotta hand it to epicwolf, when you have thoughts, you have a lot of them  :laughing:

I agree that the Lakers won't do much this off-season but that's by design.  The biggest move you may see if Pau Gasol being moved for pieces.

The most important thing is for the Lakers to add athletic players to this roster and essentially start bringing in players that will be effective around Dwight in the coming years.  2014 was always the plan to essentially "start over" with life after Kobe. 

The Lakers are going to be in very good position next season to add another superstar type player and a solid player for the full MLE.  So they have to add some solid pieces this year.  

#9 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,517 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted May 01, 2013 - 01:33 PM

As much as I want a massive overhaul of the roster I tend to agree with the OP.  Very little salary flexibility next year, no really big name FAs out there other than our own.  I want the FO to do alot, I guess I can "settle" for getting rid of D"Antoni, resign Dwight, get Kobe healty, find a couple of cheap athletic wing defenders.  Majesty had a pretty good plan in another thread in that regard.

Debbie Downer

#10 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,618 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted May 01, 2013 - 01:35 PM

2hf753r.jpg

#11 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,366 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 01, 2013 - 01:39 PM

I think the best bet and hope is to get rid of MDA for a different coach rather than Phil Jackson but even that is unlikely.  I could be wrong and I hope I am wrong but I am ready to sit through another season with MDA and the same roster and hope somehow MDA knows how to coach the stars we already have and make a run.  I dont expect any moves that will make me jump up and down. 

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#12 Thanatos

Thanatos

Rookie

• 1,249 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted May 01, 2013 - 02:49 PM

I agree, there probably won't be a major team blow up this season. Practically everybody comes off the books next year and the free agent classes of 2014 and 2015 are a lot better than the one this year. Even Pau, unless the team gets a ridiculously good deal back, they'll probably just wait out his contract.

I still hope there's a coaching change, though.

Posted Image

#13 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,332 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted May 01, 2013 - 03:14 PM

Good chance the Heat three-peat next year.

#14 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,002 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 01, 2013 - 09:19 PM

The more I listen to Mitch's interview on the radio, other scenarios and so called "inside" source of the lakers, the more I think that the Lakers won't do any huge deal or even hiring anybody big for next season.  In fact, they might keep Pau on the team with the same core group. The only thing they will do is amnesty Metta.  Mike D will be the coach and the same core group of guys will be back.  Because it seems like the Lakers are focusing on getting as much cap spaces as possible end of next season to make a huge splash.  The only thing that is considered a "big splash" is signing D12 which alot of people expect that to happen. Almost everybody said the Lakers goal is to get everybody off the books for 2014 for a huge splash. Really hard to do that if we make any huge moves this off season  

Here are my reasons.  Trading Pau is pointless because we have to get the same value in terms of money back. Not in terms of players because not many players are as good as pau.  Some say they can trade Pau to the wolves for Love, a bad contract of Jefferson and a couple of draft picks but that mean the Lakers will be stuck with Love 3 year deal. Minnasota would love it but lakers wont. Or Lakers can trade Pau for a bunch of nobodies with bad contracts but still the Lakers have to match or atleast have 70% equal value in terms of contract. So even if lakers trade pau, we still have to pay the luxury tax. And they can't amnesty Pau because Metta World Piece will still be a laker with his over priced contract and he is useless like tits on a bull. 

Now everybody in the world including their grandmas want the Lakers to fire Mike D Antoni. Thats great but who are they going to hire that will satisfied Lakers fan? The only person to name is the Zen Master. Everybody knows Phillip wants more than just a coaching gig. And everybody knows paying the Zen Master is like paying 3 head coaches at once. I know its not your money so who do you care right? I know the Lakers do make billions of dollars from the tv deal so money is not an issue right? Wrong.  It is a lot more complicated than just hiring Phil Jackson to coach. They have to see what he really want to do. If he is the GM and coach like Pat Riley, that makes Mitch Kupchak irrelevant and I like Mitch. If he works with mitch and make all decisions, that makes Jim Buss irrelevant and I doubt Jim wants that. Power struggle between sister and brother? More drama? Fans dont think that deep but it will happen if Phil is the coach. And that 2014 big splash might have issue because who knows if phil wants to coach more than two years. So it is a lot cheaper to keep MDA and if he suck, they can get rid of him after next season and wont cost them that much. And I doubt the Zen will still be available end of next season. Remember Mike Brown is still getting paid until maybe sometime next year when he is off the books.

And last but not least, the bench mob or lack of.  The only splash the lakers will do is clean out the bench.  Unfortnately there are a couple of guys we are stuck with like a Duhon of the world and a Sacre but everybody else probably be gone. Lakers have to find somebody who is willing to play for cheap. Who is out there? Nobody. We dont have a Rick Fox who is good enough to start but willing to take mid level. We dont have a Shane Battier who is good enough to start but willing to go cheap.  They all going to Miami to dine with Lebron. So expect the Lakers to get a bunch of nobodys on the bench and hope the starters will be all heatlhy next year. ANd hope MDA will use atleast 10 guys on his rotation instead of 7.

So I dont think anything big will happen this off season. Lakers are willing to throw away a full season to get out of a huge salary cap than get into another huge cap by signing somebody big. As much as I want them to change the coach it is rare that a team changes coach every season. The lakers did that since Phil jackson left. Lakers dont want to change another coach. Which means the past 3 season there are 3 different coaches.  

I think they'll do a few moves. Amnesty metta, trade a few guys and sign a few guys - including using the mini-midlevel. 

I also think it's possible that they get rid of D'Antoni - especially if Dwight "demands" it. 

I dont know why people are sceptical about getting Kevin Love. Last season he was easily a top10 player in the league and together with Dwight, they'd be unstoppable. We have no idea, if Lebron or Melo wants to sign with us in 2014 anyways, but if he did, we could still offer a good deal, though it would limit what we could pay Kobe. 

#15 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted May 01, 2013 - 09:39 PM

Yeah I didn't read, but I agree with the thread title. It's no coincidence the front office cleared so much cap space for 2014. Unless they're getting a superstar player I don't expect any multi-year deals.

#16 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,054 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 02, 2013 - 04:47 AM

Yeah I didn't read, but I agree with the thread title. It's no coincidence the front office cleared so much cap space for 2014. Unless they're getting a superstar player I don't expect any multi-year deals.

Mind you the front office did this before THIS season with all the injuries occurrences etc.

This whole get together with the team was a 2 year window.

After how this first year went they may change their minds. 

They felt they'd be contending for the next 2 years when they had their 2014 plan. 

The result and season and issues of this year could change a lot of plans.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#17 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,472 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted May 02, 2013 - 05:49 AM

Their only hope is to fully rebuild, signing guys to one year deals for next season and having a similar roster will be sufficient and way better than attempting to put together a championship caliber roster from the players available to them in free agency and via the few movable pieces they have this offseason (basically Pau who is a near max expiring contract), the fans won't be happy, but financially it will get all the contracts off the books and put them in a great position for the future of the franchise.  People just have to come to the realization that Kobe might not be getting that 6th ring, and that his window is shut.  Its life, it happens to every great player.

#18 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,468 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 02, 2013 - 08:59 AM

They shouldn't budge.

Kobe isn't even starting the season healthy

You guys want to just throw more money at the problem instead of let next season play out and then start over.

Its the smartest , most practical move we could make

#19 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,887 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 02, 2013 - 09:02 AM

Kobe will not be resigned to a max level contract.

If they want to keep Dwight this year, they have to sell him on serious help within the next 15 months.

Trading Pau during the summer does not bring back max value or a superstar but waiting until 2014 trade deadline will.

Trading Pau is the only viable option to get Dwight a running mate this offseason.

All things considered, no.  They will likely NOT make major moves this offseason.

#20 Scooter123

Scooter123

Rookie

• 322 posts
  • Fan Since:1966
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted May 02, 2013 - 10:26 AM

They shouldn't budge.

Kobe isn't even starting the season healthy

You guys want to just throw more money at the problem instead of let next season play out and then start over.

Its the smartest , most practical move we could make

I agree 100%.  This season was a waste.  Next season may be worse. 

Make your peace with that fact, accept it, and move on. 

When the Kobster retires end of next year, the Lakers will have salary cap room. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users