Photo

Do the Lakers stand a chance of signing Chris Paul this off-season?

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

Poll: Do the Lakers stand a chance of signing Chris Paul this off-season? (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Could the Lakers stand a chance of signing Chris Paul this offseason?

1. Yes (15 votes [26.32%])

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

2. No (42 votes [73.68%])

Percentage of vote: 73.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,884 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 07, 2013 - 05:43 AM

Well first of all I started this by saying that Dwight commits with the Lakers and Paul forces his way to us. Paul has to say trade me to the Lakers or I'll sign with Dallas or Atlanta. In that scenario Houston is nowhere to be found, they can't just force Paul to sign with them HELLO if he doesn't want Houston why would Houston offer those pieces to Clippers when there's no trade to be made?

Second, all of those trades can be done simultaneously, if the Clippers trade falls apart then the rest don't get done. Basically we push tons of paperwork into the League office at the same time and in the correct order.

Third, why hell wouldn't Dallas just wait it out? They basically have Paul right there for the taking if we can't come up with a trade for the Clippers. And also Houston is not our only trade partner for Pau. Minny, Atlanta, Milwaukee all come to mind. Clippers can get some pieces or draft picks from one of those teams and that beats the hell out of losing him for nothing. Teams tend to think for themselves in this League just ask Toronto and Cleveland, if they can get something instead nothing YOU DO IT!

Obviously this is all hypothetical but your points have been all proven wrong. Cheers!

You're quite the smart ass, huh?   :clap2:

Re-read what I wrote.  I'll state it once more: you are asking for all of the right pieces to fall into place, to perfection...and not only one or two, but many.

1) You assume CP3 only wants the Lakers.  Prove that he does, or you do NOT have a point.

2) You assume the Lakers want CP3 bad enough to trade most all of our role players, and let many of them expire, then add 8-9 other players with minimum deals.

3) There is no reason for Houston NOT to be involved.  They can sign CP3 outright, if they want, just like Atlanta can.  Just like Dallas can.  How do you know he doesn't want one of those three?  Dallas and Atlanta are also two teams that can land BOTH CP3 and Howard, at the same time, through simply signing them.  The Lakers, and the Clippers, won't do jack [expletive] about that, because when July hits, they won't own their rights.

4) No team has wanted Pau Gasol for two years now.  Stop snagging teams out of the air that you THINK may be interested.  Minnesota won't give up who we want, or who ANYONE else would want...and our best chance of trading Pau will be in February of 2014, to send out his expiring, and to teams who usually know how good, or bad, they are by then.

5) Why wouldn't Dallas wait it out?  Because Dwight and CP3 won't.  Superstar free agents don't wait until September to sign.  They usually want to get it done within the first week of free agency.  Dallas will jump on it immediately.  I don't know why you wouldn't think that.  Same with Atlanta and Houston, and the MANY other teams who will be after both Howard and CP3.

Your scenario is a dream.  It's not going to happen, and you'll find this out soon.  I'll make sure to quote your pipe dream in July.

cheers-6.jpg

#162 dmorans24

dmorans24

Rookie

• 39 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted May 07, 2013 - 05:50 AM

You're quite the smart ass, huh? :clap2:

Re-read what I wrote. I'll state it once more: you are asking for all of the right pieces to fall into place, to perfection...and not only one or two, but many.

1) You assume CP3 only wants the Lakers. Prove that he does, or you do NOT have a point.

2) You assume the Lakers want CP3 bad enough to trade most all of our role players, and let many of them expire, then add 8-9 other players with minimum deals.

3) There is no reason for Houston NOT to be involved. They can sign CP3 outright, if they want, just like Atlanta can. Just like Dallas can. How do you know he doesn't want one of those three? Dallas and Atlanta are also two teams that can land BOTH CP3 and Howard, at the same time, through simply signing them. The Lakers, and the Clippers, won't do jack [expletive] about that, because when July hits, they won't own their rights.

4) No team has wanted Pau Gasol for two years now. Stop snagging teams out of the air that you THINK may be interested. Minnesota won't give up who we want, or who ANYONE else would want...and our best chance of trading Pau will be in February of 2014, to send out his expiring, and to teams who usually know how good, or bad, they are by then.

5) Why wouldn't Dallas wait it out? Because Dwight and CP3 won't. Superstar free agents don't wait until September to sign. They usually want to get it done within the first week of free agency. Dallas will jump on it immediately. I don't know why you wouldn't think that. Same with Atlanta and Houston, and the MANY other teams who will be after both Howard and CP3.

Your scenario is a dream. It's not going to happen, and you'll find this out soon. I'll make sure to quote your pipe dream in July.

cheers-6.jpg

Seriously AGAIN falling for the same thing? Wow, how big is your brain?

Isn't assuming all we do on this board? Then why the hell is this thread even open? Yeah thought so.

AGAIN THIS IS ASSUMING DWIGHT COMMITS TO THE LAKERS AND PAUL FORCES HIS WAY TO THE LAKERS. Get it? No? Yes? That means that Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, or anyone else have 0 chance of signing Paul until, and IF, a trade with Lakers-Clippers falls apart. Again 0 chance, 0 chance.

Still you don't get it? Come on it's not that hard.

Well obviously it won't happen lol Do you really believe that I think all of this will happen? WOW your dumber than I thought lol. OH this deserves a ban. Lol

CYA, heading back to LG where bright minds post. Cheers! You can copy that, no biggie.

Edited by dmorans24, May 07, 2013 - 05:55 AM.

#163 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,884 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 05:57 AM

Seriously AGAIN falling for the same thing? Wow, how big is your brain?

AGAIN THIS IS ASSUMING DWIGHTS COMMITS TO THE LAKERS AND PAUL FORCES HIS WAY TO THE LAKERS. Get it? No? Yes? That means that Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, or anyone else have 0 chance of signing Paul until, and IF, a trade with Lakers-Clippers falls apart. Again 0 chance, 0 chance.

Still you don't get it? Come on it's not that hard.

Well obviously it won't happen lol Do you really believe that I think all of this will happen? WOW your dumber than I thought lol. OH this deserves a ban. Lol

You're the idiot for posting a scenario that actually COULD happen...despite the 0.00001% chance teams would trade for most of our roster, us dropping Ron, and the Clippers wanting Gasol and a pick for CP3.

You're not wording something right, otherwise. A proposed trade between the Lakers/Clippers doesn't mean jack to CP3. He can leave, even if a trade is on the table, because the Clippers will not own his rights when free agency starts up.

But okay.

#164 dmorans24

dmorans24

Rookie

• 39 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 06:06 AM

You're the idiot for posting a scenario that actually COULD happen...despite the 0.00001% chance teams would trade for most of our roster, us dropping Ron, and the Clippers wanting Gasol and a pick for CP3.

You're not wording something right, otherwise. A proposed trade between the Lakers/Clippers doesn't mean jack to CP3. He can leave, even if a trade is on the table, because the Clippers will not own his rights when free agency starts up.

But okay.

So I'm an idiot for creating a scenario where we keep Kobe, Dwight, and sign Paul? Oh and yeah Paul making 19 million not the 3 million mini MLE? I consider myself a genius, and the only guy that has pulled that scenario on ANY Laker forum. THE ONLY GUY. But hey I'm an idiot no biggie.

Again if Paul forces his way to the Lakers, assuming again, a trade is the only way so don't know what's your point there. It doesn't have to be Clippers-Lakers, we can bring a third team to take Pau. Milwaukee, Atlanta, Cleveland, Houston, Minny, etc.

If you think that Pau has NO trade value, then why are you an admin? Like seriously shouldn't you be the pacifier around here? Oh btw he does have trade value, you'll see if he gets traded.

#165 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,884 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 06:12 AM

So I'm an idiot for creating a scenario where we keep Kobe, Dwight, and sign Paul? Oh and yeah Paul making 19 million not the 3 million mini MLE? I consider myself a genius, and the only guy that has pulled that scenario on ANY Laker forum. THE ONLY GUY. But hey I'm an idiot no biggie.

Again if Paul forces his way to the Lakers, assuming again, a trade is the only way so don't know what's your point there. It doesn't have to be Clippers-Lakers, we can bring a third team to take Pau. Milwaukee, Atlanta, Cleveland, Houston, Minny, etc.

If you think that Pau has NO trade value, then why are you an admin? Like seriously shouldn't you be the pacifier around here? Oh btw he does have trade calue, you'll see if he gets traded.

Are you high? I can't even tell what you're trying to say anymore, LMAO.

Didn't you just tell us this?

But you're trying to convince me otherwise?

You're the only guy to suggest this? LOL no, don't worry, you aren't.   :laughing:   Many have suggested trading everyone but Kobe, Howard and Gasol, then dealing Gasol in a three-way deal (because some of us were led to believe he would ask for a trade this summer, and I believe an article was written about it a few weeks ago).

I didn't say Pau Gasol has "no trade value" (I'm actually looking for that).  I'm saying he doesn't have the value you're claiming.  He doesn't have the value to entice the Clippers to deal CP3 to us in a S&T.  You think otherwise.  I'm sorry you feel that way.

Administrators don't say things to pacify the fanbase.  Maybe you are doing that, but not me.  Did you think we were going to win a championship this season?  Is that something I was supposed to say, because I'm an administrator here?

I run the site.  I have access to the blog and forums.  I put the forums up in 2008.  That's why I have that title.  

You must be new to message boards...maybe even new to NBA basketball.  Not trying to insult you at this point, I'm serious.

#166 dmorans24

dmorans24

Rookie

• 39 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 06:22 AM

Are you high? I can't even tell what you're trying to say anymore, LMAO.

Didn't you just tell us this?

But you're trying to convince me otherwise?

You're the only guy to suggest this? LOL no, don't worry, you aren't.   :laughing:   Many have suggested trading everyone but Kobe, Howard and Gasol, then dealing Gasol in a three-way deal (because some of us were led to believe he would ask for a trade this summer, and I believe an article was written about it a few weeks ago).

I didn't say Pau Gasol has "no trade value" (I'm actually looking for that).  I'm saying he doesn't have the value you're claiming.  He doesn't have the value to entice the Clippers to deal CP3 to us in a S&T.  You think otherwise.  I'm sorry you feel that way.

Administrators don't say things to pacify the fanbase.  Maybe you are doing that, but not me.  Did you think we were going to win a championship this season?  Is that something I was supposed to say, because I'm an administrator here?

I run the site.  I have access to the blog and forums.  I put the forums up in 2008.  That's why I have that title.  

You must be new to message boards...maybe even new to NBA basketball.  Not trying to insult you at this point, I'm serious.

Yeah I'm the only guy giving you a full breakdown of the salary structure and the trades. Look it up you have easy access to all of that. Anyone can say keep Kobe sign Dwight trade for Paul.

I'm not trying to convince you that this IS GOING TO HAPPEN. I'm trying to convince that IF, IF, IF AGAIN, Paul forces his way to the Lakers it's not as hard as you make it out to be.

Again Clippers won't be receiving Pau in this totally hypothetical, unlikely, and highly improbably scenario.

I've been a poster at LG for years now, I have lurked around here at times but never got into posting here. I've been a fan since 2000 and I pretty much know everything there is to know about the NBA and this new CBA. That's why I did this totally hypothetical, unlikely, and highly improbable scenario.

Hey and question when I called you dumb shouldn't that have got me banned? In LG that's a sure ban. Those mods are so power hungry. Don't know about you guys.

#167 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,884 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 06:33 AM

Yeah I'm the only guy giving you a full breakdown of the salary structure and the trades. Look it up you have easy access to all of that. Anyone can say keep Kobe sign Dwight trade for Paul.

I'm not trying to convince you that this IS GOING TO HAPPEN. I'm trying to convince that IF, IF, IF AGAIN, Paul forces his way to the Lakers it's not as hard as you make it out to be.

Again Clippers won't be receiving Pau in this totally hypothetical, unlikely, and highly improbably scenario.

I've been a poster at LG for years now, I have lurked around here at times but never got into posting here. I've been a fan since 2000 and I pretty much know everything there is to know about the NBA and this new CBA. That's why I did this totally hypothetical, unlikely, and highly improbable scenario.

Hey and question when I called you dumb shouldn't that have got me banned? In LG that's a sure ban. Those mods are so power hungry. Don't know about you guys.

...go back and look up some of my posts.  I've done that already.  I've gone down that road, listing salaries and such...but I'm not posting unrealistic scenarios that involve far too many teams that, for some ignorant reason, want our scraps.

I've already read your posts on LG.  Many people over there WANT it to happen, and therefore, they are seeking any way possible.

I am simply telling you that it's nearly impossible, and it depends heavily on more than just the Lakers and Clippers...and Dwight and CP3...which means there's almost no reason to discuss it.

We can get CP3 in more ways than you're saying.  We can trim the fat, and he can take a Bron/Wade/Bosh paycut of $14 million.  We could amnesty Gasol, trade Ron (since you believe we can trade anyone), although that gives us less picks...but again, still possible!

But teams will not seek our players, especially that early in free agency, and we aren't going to have until September to work it out.  Nobody wants to give up picks for our scraps, and nobody will want to make irrelevant trades for players like Duhon and [insert name here].

You say you know everything there is to know about the CBA, but you admit on LG that you just learned about it recently.  But, okay.

No, Clippers wouldn't receive Pau.  I acknowledged that.  I'm saying that no team will give enough for him in a three-team trade, to send back to LAC.  The Clips won't want Derrick Williams.

And finally, again, it's very unlikely the Clippers do ANYTHING for us...even if it gives them a couple of draft picks.  They wouldn't be high picks anyway, and the Clippers are deep enough to ignore those offers.  They need a superstar/all-star player, if they lose CP3.

I think all of you, those that want CP3 here and are desperately finding complicated, complex, unrealistic ways to pull it off, will be disappointed big time...and there's no reason to be, because it's not in the books for us, and for all other teams that would have to be involved, to go through that mess knowing we're ripping everyone off...just to send out guys like Blake, Duhon, Gasol, and second-rounders.

#168 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,884 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 06:36 AM

For one, you stated a bit ago that you were going back over there, to post with all of the brilliant minds.  Then you never left, and you're still replying.  I'll let you figure that one out on your own.

tumblr_lxno5siWeS1qcnjyyo1_500.gif

#169 dmorans24

dmorans24

Rookie

• 39 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 06:45 AM

...go back and look up some of my posts. I've done that already. I've gone down that road, listing salaries and such...but I'm not posting unrealistic scenarios that involve far too many teams that, for some ignorant reason, want our scraps.

I've already read your posts on LG. Many people over there WANT it to happen, and therefore, they are seeking any way possible.

I am simply telling you that it's nearly impossible, and it depends heavily on more than just the Lakers and Clippers...and Dwight and CP3...which means there's almost no reason to discuss it.

We can get CP3 in more ways than you're saying. We can trim the fat, and he can take a Bron/Wade/Bosh paycut of $14 million. We could amnesty Gasol, trade Ron (since you believe we can trade anyone), although that gives us less picks...but again, still possible!

But teams will not seek our players, especially that early in free agency, and we aren't going to have until September to work it out. Nobody wants to give up picks for our scraps, and nobody will want to make irrelevant trades for players like Duhon and [insert name here].

You say you know everything there is to know about the CBA, but you admit on LG that you just learned about it recently. But, okay.

No, Clippers wouldn't receive Pau. I acknowledged that. I'm saying that no team will give enough for him in a three-team trade, to send back to LAC. The Clips won't want Derrick Williams.

And finally, again, it's very unlikely the Clippers do ANYTHING for us...even if it gives them a couple of draft picks. They wouldn't be high picks anyway, and the Clippers are deep enough to ignore those offers. They need a superstar/all-star player, if they lose CP3.

I think all of you, those that want CP3 here and are desperately finding complicated, complex, unrealistic ways to pull it off, will be disappointed big time...and there's no reason to be, because it's not in the books for us, and for all other teams that would have to be involved, to go through that mess knowing we're ripping everyone off...just to send out guys like Blake, Duhon, Gasol, and second-rounders.

Well you are right on pretty much everything. Well Duhon really doesn't have to get traded, it's Jordan Hill for that matter.

And yeah I just got the hang on this new CBA but I know pretty much everything by now, certainly more than 99% of posters in any Lakers forum.

This scenario is highly unlikely to happen and I know that so I wouldn't be crushed if it didn't happen, which it probably won't.

Well this was a scenario made for the dreamers, maybe your not a dreamer. It happens no biggie, no problem.

#170 dmorans24

dmorans24

Rookie

• 39 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 06:47 AM

For one, you stated a bit ago that you were going back over there, to post with all of the brilliant minds. Then you never left, and you're still replying. I'll let you figure that one out on your own.

tumblr_lxno5siWeS1qcnjyyo1_500.gif

I thought about it but a good online argument always intrigues me lol Well now I'll let you keep on with your day.

CHEERS!

#171 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,268 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted May 07, 2013 - 07:35 AM

Why are we arguing over a hypothetical situation that has basically no chance of happening?

#172 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,216 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted May 07, 2013 - 08:25 AM

Why are we arguing over a hypothetical situation that has basically no chance of happening?

cuz some people need a harsh dose of reality when they are too stubborn & have to much wheel chair pride to accept when they are wrong.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#173 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 07, 2013 - 08:54 AM

Marc Stein saying CP3 probably stays

http://espn.go.com/b...is-paul-staying

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#174 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 09:11 AM

michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o.gif

#175 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted May 07, 2013 - 09:45 AM

90% chance Chris Paul stays with Clippers

5% chance he signs with Houston

4% chance he signs with Atlanta or Dallas

0.999999% he signs with some other random low cap team

leaving 0.000001% chance he goes to Lakers

futarama-fry-math-test.jpg

#176 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,439 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted May 07, 2013 - 07:30 PM

Hey guys forget CP3 this trade senario is the best. 

http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=d4pqd68

I mean come on were the lakers and everyone wants to give us there best players for nothing. Also every best player wants to come here. Oh we then just need to resign phil and then we have kobe reconstruct his contract to take league min. I mean come on guys its possible.

#177 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 08:06 PM

Hey guys forget CP3 this trade senario is the best. 

http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=d4pqd68

I mean come on were the lakers and everyone wants to give us there best players for nothing. Also every best player wants to come here. Oh we then just need to resign phil and then we have kobe reconstruct his contract to take league min. I mean come on guys its possible.

You're stupid, the Heat wouldn't do that deal unless they got Metta in return.

#178 Holden_Magroin

Holden_Magroin

Rookie

• 53 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar & Kobe

Posted May 07, 2013 - 08:59 PM

You're stupid, the Heat wouldn't do that deal unless they got Metta in return.

Actually the lack of Duhon is what is stopping that trade. 

Edited by Holden_Magroin, May 07, 2013 - 08:59 PM.

#179 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,445 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 07, 2013 - 09:20 PM

Paul isn't skipping over that money and extra year. Clippers will get a new coach, make a tweak to the roster and try again next year...
You can paint any magical Disney trade scenario you like, Paul is not coming to the Lakers... Unless he takes a vet minimum or a lower level exception.... AND THAT AIN'T GOING DOWN! Put the crack pipe down....

Edited by FranklinPeanuts, May 07, 2013 - 09:21 PM.

Posted Image

#180 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,590 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted May 07, 2013 - 09:52 PM

I think the chance of CP3 becoming a Laker is slim to none. 

Just to summarize what needs to be done for that to happen:

Lakers current salary next season with Dwight: 100 million.

Lakers amnesty Kobe: 70 million. Already we're on thin ice. 

Waive Meeks and Duhon: 65 million. A waste of talent and a waste of a trade chip. (Duhon? Yes, of his 3,7 only 1,5 is guaranteed, which can give some teams a 2,2 million dollar cap-relief). 

Now we start to give away players to teams with salary cap for nothing, untill we're down to about 40 million. At this point, other teams are probably aware of what is happening and may not want to participate in creating another super-team. 

It's not gonna happen!

As i've said before, i think Howard to Clippers is a lot more likely than the other way around. 

Edited by DanishLakerFan, May 07, 2013 - 09:53 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users