Photo

Do the Lakers stand a chance of signing Chris Paul this off-season?

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

Poll: Do the Lakers stand a chance of signing Chris Paul this off-season? (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Could the Lakers stand a chance of signing Chris Paul this offseason?

1. Yes (15 votes [26.32%])

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

2. No (42 votes [73.68%])

Percentage of vote: 73.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,460 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted May 06, 2013 - 06:53 PM

CP3 has been the first option his whole life. Not one time has he got close to the finals. CP3 has help. CP3 had all the help he couldve had this year. All Star PF, Possible Sixth Man, Stacked Bench/Role Players, Athleticism. My comment was not irrelevant. SG/SF's first options are more likely to win a ring and it's proven. The only PG that led a team to a championship in the last 10-15 years was Tony Parker and he shadows Tim Duncan all the time.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#142 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,431 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 06, 2013 - 06:57 PM

CP3 has been the first option his whole life. Not one time has he got close to the finals. CP3 has help. CP3 had all the help he couldve had this year. All Star PF, Possible Sixth Man, Stacked Bench/Role Players, Athleticism. My comment was not irrelevant. SG/SF's first options are more likely to win a ring and it's proven. The only PG that led a team to a championship in the last 10-15 years was Tony Parker and he shadows Tim Duncan all the time.

In CP3's defense, his leadership is much greater than a majority of the point guards we have seen. He is one of the only guys in this league with a similar winning mentality as Kobe.

#143 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,460 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 07:01 PM

In CP3's defense, his leadership is much greater than a majority of the point guards we have seen. He is one of the only guys in this league with a similar winning mentality as Kobe.

No doubt he's amazing and not guard-able but he probably won't lead a team to the championship without tons of help. And I mean a lot when i say tons...

Edited by Ham, May 06, 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#144 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,431 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted May 06, 2013 - 07:27 PM

No doubt he's amazing and not guard-able but he probably won't lead a team to the championship without tons of help. And I mean a lot when i say tons...

Agreed. I'm a firm believer that NOBODY can win a ring without help. Not even LeBron could win a ring without help from Wade and Bosh. Team game always beats hero ball. But CP3 makes everyone better, but where they failed was in the second half of the season when their production dipped outside of CP3. Guys like Blake and Barnes went cold and Chris Paul passed less and shot more. If he had a consistant group of guys, he could be VERY dangerous.

#145 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,883 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 06, 2013 - 07:37 PM

CP3 is gonna need a superstar if he's gonna win a ring, a true viable second option also capable of taking over the game.

in today's game you either need two stars capable of taking over the game at a given moment or you'll need a leader surrounded by good to great defenders at each position, but even those are rare(like Detroit).

CP3 needs a Kobe Bryant if he wants to get past the first round.  Blake Griffin may be the future of the Clippers, but if he's gonna be their franchise player, they won't advance beyond the second round no matter how good of a season he has.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#146 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,023 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 06, 2013 - 09:42 PM

How many superstar PGs have we had, since, say Magic, compared to the number of superstar SGs/SFs? Comparing sheer numbers isn't always the most accurate assessment.

CP3 definitely didn't have all the help he needed. How many of those guys on the Clippers played any defense? What offense did they run when there was no transition opportunities. There were still a lot of holes in that team and that's why they didn't finish as a top 3 seed in the West this year.

#147 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted May 07, 2013 - 03:12 AM

Hey guys I've been a lurker here for a long time, I've been a regular poster on LG too. So I've managed to create a scenario where the Lakers get to keep Kobe and Dwight and trade for Chris Paul. Be warned this is totally hypothetical and highly unlikely. This is just to show you that it is possible and keep hopes up on all the dreamers. Enjoy!

So first of all I'm assuming Kobe doesn't get amnestied because obviously that won't happen. Second Dwight has to commit to us. And finally Chris Paul has to at least want to come here, if he can force his way then all the better.

Ok so my plan starts by trading Nash for a fully non guaranteed contract or a team with cap space. Atlanta might look into it. Milwaukee too if they let Jennings go. It shouldn't be too hard to find a suitor for Nash.

Then we find takers for Hill, that wouldn't be a problem. Minny comes to mind specially with their non guaranteed contract of Roy, if we get a pick even a second rounder for that then that would be great. We could also add to this trade a Duhon for Stiemsma trade. Duhon has a partially guaranteed contract with 1.5 million guaranteed. If we trade him we would rid ourselves of that 1.5 and Stiemsma is fully non guaranteed.

Then we'll have to trade Blake. That might not be hard specially with his performance late in the season. Portland might be interested and they have cap space. Also he could be a lot easier to move around with non guaranteed contracts around the league.

Then all we'll have to do is amnesty Metta, reject Meeks' option, renounce Clark's bird rights, and renounce the TPEs.

Our cap situation will look like this after all of these trades:

Kobe 30 million
Dwight 20 million cap hold
Pau 19 million
Remaining roster spots 9: 4.5 million (9x500k) -This comes after Dwight signs for about 20 million.

That'll give us a total of: 73.5 million give or take

The "apron" is around 74 million. The apron is 4 million over the luxury tax limit which is 70 million or so this season. Now teams under this apron CAN be involved in sign and trade scenarios. We'll need Dwight to take a small paycut, as little as maybe 500k, and we'll be under that 74 million or so.

Then Chris Paul forces his way to the Lakers using Dallas, Houston or Atlanta as leverage.
And this is where it gets fun. Notice how I haven't traded Pau. Now the Clippers have no choice to trade him to us for Pau and the draft picks we got from the Hill, Nash, and Blake trades. They would do it cause at least you get something for him instead of nothing. Picks are very useful and Pau might come in handy at the deadline. And a smart GM and owner will do things for the betterment of their own team regardless of what the other team is doing. Just ask Toronto and Cleveland.

Thing is they won't want Pau right? Why would they? Well we could always do a 3 team deal with most likely Houston. If the Clippers can get some of guys like Parsons, Terrence Jones, Royce White, Montejiunas, Thomas Robinson, Beverley, or maybe even Lin, they would come out like bandits. Plus the picks? It's a no brainer for them to accept the sign and trade even if it's the Lakers we're talking about.

Now how funny would that be? CP3 ends up in the Lakers and Pau in the Rockets. lol

Now keep the dream alive boys, CHEERS!

All of the Lakers' trades would be made with the assumption that the Clippers would end up trading him to us, and that Chris Paul only wants to be a Laker.

From the start, it's a bad move...because the Clippers have no reason to help us, and they know that CP3 won't land in Lakerland if they tell him he can just walk.

So...with that in mind, we also have to find teams for all players under contract, with the exception of Ron Artest, and I'm not sure how that even happens in such little time. CP3 will not drag it out for months.

Meanwhile, Houston is going straight after Dwight, and if they really wanted to...they could get him or CP3. If they felt threatened by us, they would simply contact the Clippers and tell them they have Lin, Asik, and Robinson up for grabs.

CP3 wouldn't use Dallas for leverage because, if Dallas were to get rid of Marion, they have max deals for BOTH Paul and Howard. Suddenly, we're in deep trouble, and so are the Clippers.

We can't afford to toy around and trade off, or let go of, our entire roster, in hopes that 2-3 of our rivals won't mind helping us win a championship or two. After all, it was an owner's vote that vetoed the CP3 trade to the Lakers. No opposing owner would want to see Kobe, Howard and Paul on the same team.

#148 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,883 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 03:20 AM

All of the Lakers' trades would be made with the assumption that the Clippers would end up trading him to us, and that Chris Paul only wants to be a Laker.

From the start, it's a bad move...because the Clippers have no reason to help us, and they know that CP3 won't land in Lakerland if they tell him he can just walk.

So...with that in mind, we also have to find teams for all players under contract, with the exception of Ron Artest, and I'm not sure how that even happens in such little time. CP3 will not drag it out for months.

Meanwhile, Houston is going straight after Dwight, and if they really wanted to...they could get him or CP3. If they felt threatened by us, they would simply contact the Clippers and tell them they have Lin, Asik, and Robinson up for grabs.

CP3 wouldn't use Dallas for leverage because, if Dallas were to get rid of Marion, they have max deals for BOTH Paul and Howard. Suddenly, we're in deep trouble, and so are the Clippers.

We can't afford to toy around and trade off, or let go of, our entire roster, in hopes that 2-3 of our rivals won't mind helping us win a championship or two. After all, it was an owner's vote that vetoed the CP3 trade to the Lakers. No opposing owner would want to see Kobe, Howard and Paul on the same team.

Very true, but another sleeper in the Chris Paul sweepstakes, I said New York before, and I said Lakers in a dream scenario.. but a team I think LEGITIMATELY has a shot if they go hard enough that no one is talking about..

OKC...

If I'm OKC I'm going after Chris Paul and dangling Russell Westbrook as the trade piece.   Perfect point guard to pair with Durant and Sterling may just take Westbrook for Paul if OKC offered it because Westbrook is a high level player and one of the top PGs in the league .

So If I'm OKC I'm dangling Westbrook for Paul immediately.

besides if the Clippers are going to keep Griffin as their second in command and second go-to guy then they shouldn't have Chris Paul there having to score 35 points to keep them in games against contenders and in the playoffs.  He's NOT that kind of point guard on an every game basis and it doesn't suit him.

Know a scoring first point guard that could and would try to do exactly that?  Russell Westbrook. 

And on the other hand you put Chris Paul on a team with Kevin Durant where both their styles would mesh beautifully and perfectly.  It helps both teams really.

The question will be, is OKC willing to make that gamble and see if Sterling will bite?

Edited by Majesty, May 07, 2013 - 03:25 AM.

#149 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,023 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 03:24 AM

Very true, but another sleeper in the Chris Paul sweepstakes, I said New York before, and I said Lakers in a dream scenario.. but a team I think LEGITIMATELY has a shot if they go hard enough that no one is talking about..

OKC...

If I'm OKC I'm going after Chris Paul and dangling Russell Westbrook as the trade piece.   Perfect point guard to pair with Durant and Sterling may just take Westbrook for Paul if OKC offered it because Westbrook is a high level player and one of the top PGs in the league .

So If I'm OKC I'm dangling Westbrook for Paul immediately.

besides if the Clippers are going to keep Griffin as their second in command and second go-to guy then they shouldn't have Chris Paul there having to score 35 points to keep them in games against contenders and in the playoffs.

Know a scoring first point guard that could do exactly that?  Russell Westbrook. 

And on the other hand you put Chris Paul on a team with Kevin Durant where both their styles would mesh beautifully and perfectly.  It helps both teams really.

The question will be, is OKC willing to make that gamble and see if Sterling will bite?

Oh [expletive] if OKC lands Chris Paul... 

#150 nikolatesla

nikolatesla

Rookie

• 390 posts
  • Name:Aykut
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted May 07, 2013 - 03:28 AM

Sterlings are of a breed that only bites Lakers.

#151 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,883 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 03:29 AM

Oh [expletive] if OKC lands Chris Paul... 

Think about it, Chris Paul with Durant

Westbrook on the Clippers where with Griffin second in command its pretty much required for Westbrook to be a scoring point guard which is the responsibility he wants anyway over trying to make everyone better now with Harden gone.. a role he doesn't want, but a role Chris Paul would relish!  Especially with a scorer like Durant to find when he draws defensive attention. 

If you want OKC to truly gel and have a point guard that you can pair with Durant where they can play off each other equally, you don't get Russell Westbrook, you get Chris Paul.

And on the other side, if you are going to keep Griffin as your corner stone who isn't a scorer, and you need a point guard to score 30+ to win in playoff series consistently or at least more often than not you don't use Chris Paul for it, you use Russell Westbrook.

Fits both of them perfectly.

And if OKC is smart enough they try to do just that.  Chris Paul for Russell Westbrook is pretty much a straight up trade they could pull off if they have the stomach to let go of Westbrook.

Watching how OKC does without Westbrook could feed into that idea very extremely. 

Think they are watching Reggie Jackson and how him and Durant work together and are saying

"Hmm...what if that was Chris Paul...." ?

Edited by Majesty, May 07, 2013 - 03:34 AM.

#152 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,023 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 03:40 AM

Think about it, Chris Paul with Durant

Westbrook on the Clippers where with Griffin second in command its pretty much required for Westbrook to be a scoring point guard which is the responsibility he wants anyway over trying to make everyone better now with Harden gone.. a role he doesn't want, but a role Chris Paul would relish!  Especially with a scorer like Durant to find when he draws defensive attention. 

If you want OKC to truly gel and have a point guard that you can pair with Durant where they can play off each other equally, you don't get Russell Westbrook, you get Chris Paul.

And on the other side, if you are going to keep Griffin as your corner stone who isn't a scorer, and you need a point guard to score 30+ to win in playoff series consistently or at least more often than not you don't use Chris Paul for it, you use Russell Westbrook.

Fits both of them perfectly.

And if OKC is smart enough they try to do just that.  Chris Paul for Russell Westbrook is pretty much a straight up trade they could pull off if they have the stomach to let go of Westbrook.

Watching how OKC does without Westbrook could feed into that idea very extremely. 

Think they are watching Reggie Jackson and how him and Durant work together and are saying

"Hmm...what if that was Chris Paul...." ?

It's definitely a smart move. Westbrook and Durant are both players that need the ball, and Westbrook often doesn't know his role and makes bad decisions (i.e. taking too many shots) that ends up hurting the Thunder when it should really be Durant running the show. Having a player that can facilitate like Chris Paul will take a lot of pressure off the rest of the Thunder, because Paul can score with ease and set everyone up for easy opportunities. If that happens, the Thunder will probably win 65-70 games and get to the finals without any issue, and the West will be [expletive]ed for a good 5 years. 

#153 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,883 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 03:46 AM

It's definitely a smart move. Westbrook and Durant are both players that need the ball, and Westbrook often doesn't know his role and makes bad decisions (i.e. taking too many shots) that ends up hurting the Thunder when it should really be Durant running the show. Having a player that can facilitate like Chris Paul will take a lot of pressure off the rest of the Thunder, because Paul can score with ease and set everyone up for easy opportunities. If that happens, the Thunder will probably win 65-70 games and get to the finals without any issue, and the West will be [expletive]ed for a good 5 years. 

Pretty much and this Westbrook injury could very well lead to that.

Edited by Majesty, May 07, 2013 - 03:46 AM.

#154 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,460 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 04:00 AM

How many superstar PGs have we had, since, say Magic, compared to the number of superstar SGs/SFs? Comparing sheer numbers isn't always the most accurate assessment.

CP3 definitely didn't have all the help he needed. How many of those guys on the Clippers played any defense? What offense did they run when there was no transition opportunities. There were still a lot of holes in that team and that's why they didn't finish as a top 3 seed in the West this year.

This isn't about us, it's PGs in general...

Exactly he needs another superstar. Cp3 had all the help he could've minus another possible first option.

#155 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted May 07, 2013 - 04:46 AM

The Clippers won't make a deal like that until they see Westbrook back in action. His injury was worse than Artest's knee injury, and really, the only reason Westbrook would ever be considered nearly as valuable as CP3 is because of his athleticism.

LAC will do whatever it takes to keep CP3. They'll go into this offseason thinking they could have gone to the NBA Finals, if it wasn't for Griffin's injury (and honestly, they had a shot). In addition to that, I'm sure a lot of blame will be put on Del Negro as well, especially since he refused to play Crawford in the second half of Game 6.

As it all relates to the Lakers, you guys are grasping for anything you can. A trio of Kobe, Howard and CP3 will not happen this summer. CP3 would have to take $3 million on a one-year deal, and it would be one of the most controversial signings in basketball history.

I mean, I was shocked to see Nash S&T to LA...but not THAT shocked, because we knew a few things: he was 38-39 years old, Phoenix was already drafting PG's and signing them (Dragic, Marshall), and we were going after Dwight Howard.

But this doesn't make sense for us (to make that many transactions in a week's time to free up space, amnesty Artest, basically get rid of nearly the entire roster), doesn't make sense for CP3 (take a risky one-year deal for less than what Steve Blake, Jordan Hill and Chris Duhon made last season), and it definitely doesn't make sense for the Clippers and Rockets to assist in doing that (or any other team, for that matter).

#156 dmorans24

dmorans24

Rookie

• 39 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted May 07, 2013 - 05:29 AM

Well first of all I started this by saying that Dwight commits with the Lakers and Paul forces his way to us. Paul has to say trade me to the Lakers or I'll sign with Dallas or Atlanta. In that scenario Houston is nowhere to be found, they can't just force Paul to sign with them HELLO if he doesn't want Houston why would Houston offer those pieces to Clippers when there's no trade to be made?

Second, all of those trades can be done simultaneously, if the Clippers trade falls apart then the rest don't get done. Basically we push tons of paperwork into the League office at the same time and in the correct order.

Third, why hell wouldn't Dallas just wait it out? They basically have Paul right there for the taking if we can't come up with a trade for the Clippers. And also Houston is not our only trade partner for Pau. Minny, Atlanta, Milwaukee all come to mind. Clippers can get some pieces or draft picks from one of those teams and that beats the hell out of losing him for nothing. Teams tend to think for themselves in this League just ask Toronto and Cleveland, if they can get something instead nothing YOU DO IT!

Obviously this is all hypothetical but your points have been all proven wrong. Cheers!

#157 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,105 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted May 07, 2013 - 05:31 AM

why is it similiar cuz the media says so? CP3 is media darling dont be fooled by their over reaching stands

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#158 dmorans24

dmorans24

Rookie

• 39 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 05:36 AM

But this doesn't make sense for us (to make that many transactions in a week's time to free up space, amnesty Artest, basically get rid of nearly the entire roster), doesn't make sense for CP3 (take a risky one-year deal for less than what Steve Blake, Jordan Hill and Chris Duhon made last season), and it definitely doesn't make sense for the Clippers and Rockets to assist in doing that (or any other team, for that matter).

Why not? Our team sucks anyway I would very much prefer to have Kobe, Dwight, and Paul than the same team again.

CP3 won't have to sign for 3 million at a 1 year deal. He can sign for 4 years starting at 19+ million in a sign and trade.

Again every team thinks for themselves. If they can improve their team they would regardless of what the Lakers are doing. Do you really think the Clippers would prefer to lose him for nothing? Just ask Toronto and Cleveland. And oh yeah remember the Wolves taking Beasley off Miami's hands? Again not everything revolves around the Lakers. If teams can get guys like Nash, Hill, and Blake for FREE they would. And Pau has takers around the League, Lakers fans really have buried this guy.

Your points have been proven wrong. Cheers!

Edited by dmorans24, May 07, 2013 - 05:37 AM.

#159 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,105 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted May 07, 2013 - 05:38 AM

Why not? Our team sucks anyway I would very much prefer to have Kobe, Dwight, and Paul than the same team again.

CP3 won't have to sign for 3 million at a 1 year deal. He can sign for 4 years starting at 19+ million in a sign and trade.

Again every team thinks for themselves. If they can improve their team they would regardless of what the Lakers are doing. Do you really think the Clippers would prefer to lose him for nothing? Just ask Toronto and Cleveland. And oh yeah remember the Wolves taking Beasley off Miami's hands? Again not everything revolves around the Lakers. If teams can get guys like Nash, Hill, and Blake for FREE they would. And Pau has takers around the League, Lakers fans really have buried this guy.

Your points have been proven wrong. Cheers!

Pau buries himself. Everytime he is in discussion to be traded he puts up terrible gms routinely so his trade value goes down down down baby! Same thing Bynumbum used to do. Laker fans dont have to do anything Paus gm does it solely.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#160 dmorans24

dmorans24

Rookie

• 39 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 05:40 AM

Pau buries himself. Everytime he is in discussion to be traded he puts up terrible gms routinely so his trade value goes down down down baby! Same thing Bynumbum used to do. Laker fans dont have to do anything Paus gm does it solely.

That's your closing statement? Really? Ok sir. lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users