Photo

Do the Lakers stand a chance of signing Chris Paul this off-season?

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

Poll: Do the Lakers stand a chance of signing Chris Paul this off-season? (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Could the Lakers stand a chance of signing Chris Paul this offseason?

1. Yes (15 votes [26.32%])

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

2. No (42 votes [73.68%])

Percentage of vote: 73.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,124 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted May 06, 2013 - 11:53 AM

Hypothetically speaking, would people here be in favor of the following:

- Tell Metta he'll be amnestied unless he opts out and potentially re-sign him for something like 3 years, $8 million

- Waive Duhon

- Pick up Meeks' option

- Beg someone to take Pau without taking back any guaranteed salary for next year. I'm thinking someone like HOU or ATL directly, or another team indirectly with other players going to someone like Charlotte or Cleveland

- Try and dump Nash on Toronto for Kyle Lowry and a couple picks or whatever minimum salary

- Amnesty Kobe (yes I know this is the hardest to accept, but...)

This leaves the Lakers with:

Blake, Metta (at a cheaper rate), Hill, Lowry (who I think could be waived), Duhon's salary, and Meeks

Total of around $20 million, leaves $38 million below the cap

Sign CP3 and Dwight to whatever would be the max for CP3 (yes, Dwight would have to take less).

It might not be a championship team the first year but then the Lakers would have a full range of options for sign/trade and exceptions the following years, no luxury tax for next year, or, if they don't take on long term salary, still some cap space for 2014 with just CP3, Dwight, and Metta on the books. There are a lot of very good, but not quite max, players coming available in 2014.

take this IDEA & put it in the HEFTY BAGS!

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#122 Holden_Magroin

Holden_Magroin

Rookie

• 53 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar & Kobe

Posted May 06, 2013 - 12:07 PM

Just tell Chris paul to sign 1 year with someone like Dallas and we will sign him in 2014. 

#123 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,361 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 06, 2013 - 12:43 PM

Just tell Chris paul to sign 1 year with someone like Dallas and we will sign him in 2014.

Not a smart business decision. Serious injury on a one year deal means no more big money.

#124 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,067 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 06, 2013 - 12:48 PM

Not a smart business decision. Serious injury on a one year deal means no more big money.

It's not unheard of. 

Staying in college for an extra year could cause serious injury and then no NBA career.  It's why people try to make the jump when their stock is high.  But some return to college and those that come out benefit usually by being better players.

I think each player gets to a point where they just want to win.

Chris Paul as devastated as he is by constantly losing isn't gonna want to sign a big contract with a losing team he's made a lot for his career, the question now is if he wants to waste his prime going no further than the second round and wait till he's Nash's age to actually try to make a move to win a Championship or whether he's going to do it now for one year and get a max in 2014 with that winning team.

Sometimes that can weigh on a mind that's already made millions and just wants a championship.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#125 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,028 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted May 06, 2013 - 12:53 PM

It's not unheard of. 

Staying in college for an extra year could cause serious injury and then no NBA career.  It's why people try to make the jump when their stock is high.  But some return to college and those that come out benefit usually by being better players.

I think each player gets to a point where they just want to win.

Chris Paul as devastated as he is by constantly losing isn't gonna want to sign a big contract with a losing team he's made a lot for his career, the question now is if he wants to waste his prime going no further than the second round and wait till he's Nash's age to actually try to make a move to win a Championship or whether he's going to do it now for one year and get a max in 2014 with that winning team.

Sometimes that can weigh on a mind that's already made millions and just wants a championship.

He also has a pretty bad knee condition that's not going to get better. If I were him I would take the big pay day while I was still young and healthy enough to be a superstar in this league.

#126 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,067 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 01:05 PM

He also has a pretty bad knee condition that's not going to get better. If I were him I would take the big pay day while I was still young and healthy enough to be a superstar in this league.

If he does then he had best get used to staying in the second round.

Cause the Clippers(especially if they are planning to do the trades that are rumored) means Chris Paul is going to be run ragged, and that ain't gonna make his knee condition better either.

Chris Paul needs to be on a team where he has a legitimate second option that can make things happen so that it isn't all CP3 or it will be just like the Clippers are/were.

That's what kind of team he should go to.

He should go to New York where there's Carmelo or dare I say, the Lakers where there is Dwight Howard(hopefully) and Kobe Bryant.

But the Clippers where his only "second option" is Blake Griffin... no.

#127 dmorans24

dmorans24

Rookie

• 39 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 06, 2013 - 01:09 PM

Hey guys I've been a lurker here for a long time, I've been a regular poster on LG too. So I've managed to create a scenario where the Lakers get to keep Kobe and Dwight and trade for Chris Paul. Be warned this is totally hypothetical and highly unlikely. This is just to show you that it is possible and keep hopes up on all the dreamers. Enjoy!

So first of all I'm assuming Kobe doesn't get amnestied because obviously that won't happen. Second Dwight has to commit to us. And finally Chris Paul has to at least want to come here, if he can force his way then all the better.

Ok so my plan starts by trading Nash for a fully non guaranteed contract or a team with cap space. Atlanta might look into it. Milwaukee too if they let Jennings go. It shouldn't be too hard to find a suitor for Nash.

Then we find takers for Hill, that wouldn't be a problem. Minny comes to mind specially with their non guaranteed contract of Roy, if we get a pick even a second rounder for that then that would be great. We could also add to this trade a Duhon for Stiemsma trade. Duhon has a partially guaranteed contract with 1.5 million guaranteed. If we trade him we would rid ourselves of that 1.5 and Stiemsma is fully non guaranteed.

Then we'll have to trade Blake. That might not be hard specially with his performance late in the season. Portland might be interested and they have cap space. Also he could be a lot easier to move around with non guaranteed contracts around the league.

Then all we'll have to do is amnesty Metta, reject Meeks' option, renounce Clark's bird rights, and renounce the TPEs.

Our cap situation will look like this after all of these trades:

Kobe 30 million 
Dwight 20 million cap hold 
Pau 19 million
Remaining roster spots 9: 4.5 million (9x500k) -This comes after Dwight signs for about 20 million.

That'll give us a total of: 73.5 million give or take

The "apron" is around 74 million. The apron is 4 million over the luxury tax limit which is 70 million or so this season. Now teams under this apron CAN be involved in sign and trade scenarios. We'll need Dwight to take a small paycut, as little as maybe 500k, and we'll be under that 74 million or so.

Then Chris Paul forces his way to the Lakers using Dallas, Houston or Atlanta as leverage. 
And this is where it gets fun. Notice how I haven't traded Pau. Now the Clippers have no choice to trade him to us for Pau and the draft picks we got from the Hill, Nash, and Blake trades. They would do it cause at least you get something for him instead of nothing. Picks are very useful and Pau might come in handy at the deadline. And a smart GM and owner will do things for the betterment of their own team regardless of what the other team is doing. Just ask Toronto and Cleveland.

Thing is they won't want Pau right? Why would they? Well we could always do a 3 team deal with most likely Houston. If the Clippers can get some of guys like Parsons, Terrence Jones, Royce White, Montejiunas, Thomas Robinson, Beverley, or maybe even Lin, they would come out like bandits. Plus the picks? It's a no brainer for them to accept the sign and trade even if it's the Lakers we're talking about.

Now how funny would that be? CP3 ends up in the Lakers and Pau in the Rockets. lol

Now keep the dream alive boys, CHEERS!

#128 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,361 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 01:13 PM

Paul's decision will be based on if he believes he can win with the Clippers.

If he thinks he can, he'll stay a Clipper. If not, I could see him going elsewhere for slightly less money.

All year, he had said he wanted to stay a Clipper and how this is where he wanted to be, but his comments after the loss really shocked me.

Chris Paul is made to be a Laker, the will to win, wanting to be the best, and anything less than a title is a failure is exactly what it means to be part of this franchise. Still hate David Stern for that.

#129 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,067 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 01:15 PM

Paul's decision will be based on if he believes he can win with the Clippers.

If he thinks he can, he'll stay a Clipper. If not, I could see him going elsewhere for slightly less money.

All year, he had said he wanted to stay a Clipper and how this is where he wanted to be, but his comments after the loss really shocked me.

Chris Paul is made to be a Laker, the will to win, wanting to be the best, and anything less than a title is a failure is exactly what it means to be part of this franchise. Still hate David Stern for that.

Think that "friend" Chris Paul was talking to on the phone before he went out on the podium was Kobe? 

Kobe been planting the seeds trying to find a way to get Paul here all season since all-star break lol

When they would talk and how they played together, and tweeting out how the NBA can't veto their children playing together.   Now Paul is a free agent and since him and Kobe are close like that, he's probably gonna be planting more seeds once Paul thinks some more.

Kobe knows exactly what he's doing :laughing:

Edited by Majesty, May 06, 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#130 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,028 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 01:33 PM

If he does then he had best get used to staying in the second round.

Cause the Clippers(especially if they are planning to do the trades that are rumored) means Chris Paul is going to be run ragged, and that ain't gonna make his knee condition better either.

Chris Paul needs to be on a team where he has a legitimate second option that can make things happen so that it isn't all CP3 or it will be just like the Clippers are/were.

That's what kind of team he should go to.

He should go to New York where there's Carmelo or dare I say, the Lakers where there is Dwight Howard(hopefully) and Kobe Bryant.

But the Clippers where his only "second option" is Blake Griffin... no.

CP3 doesn't have to be a second option. He's definitely a top 5 player in the league and can lead a team to a championship.

#131 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,490 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted May 06, 2013 - 01:35 PM

CP3 doesn't have to be a second option. He's definitely a top 5 player in the league and can lead a team to a championship.

He can't lead a team to the finals by being first option. Already proven. In fact, rarely any PG leads there team to the finals or championship as a first option especially in the last decade.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#132 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted May 06, 2013 - 01:48 PM

lawd, they talking about amnestying Kobe and go after CP3 and that would increase their chances of re-signing dwight lol.

#133 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,067 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 01:52 PM

You don't amnesty Kobe.

Pretty much the only way you could get CP3 without tearing apart the team so terribly that it would be pointless to sign him would be if CP3 took the MLE for one year and was guaranteed a max contract in 2014 to pair with Dwight for a Championship core.

That's pretty much the only way it happens without having to eviscerate our team from the inside out to try to eek out an expensive contract.

#134 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,028 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 01:53 PM

He can't lead a team to the finals by being first option. Already proven. In fact, rarely any PG leads there team to the finals or championship as a first option especially in the last decade.

How many superstar PGs have we had in the last decade that have been on a championship caliber team? 

Also Tony Parker comes to mind. 

#135 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,067 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 02:00 PM

How many superstar PGs have we had in the last decade that have been on a championship caliber team? 

Also Tony Parker comes to mind. 

Tony Parker didn't lead that team.  Duncan has and always will.

Evene Steve Nash one of the greatest point guards of all time and the BEST shooting point guard in NBA history in his prime couldn't lead his team to the finals cause he had no true second option go to guy in their prime.

Chris Paul will suffer the same fate.  He needs a Kobe Bryant and a Dwight Howard.

They all need each other to be honest.

Edited by Majesty, May 06, 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#136 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,028 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 02:23 PM

Tony Parker didn't lead that team.  Duncan has and always will.

Evene Steve Nash one of the greatest point guards of all time and the BEST shooting point guard in NBA history in his prime couldn't lead his team to the finals cause he had no true second option go to guy in their prime.

Chris Paul will suffer the same fate.  He needs a Kobe Bryant and a Dwight Howard.

They all need each other to be honest.

Who was the 2007 Finals MVP? Tony Parker has been leading the team ever since then.

Steve Nash is an all star caliber point guard and was a legitimate franchise player. But CP3 is a superstar. Of course he needs great players around him to win (even MJ did), but he can definitely lead a team to a championship. He was easily a top 5 player in the league this year.  

#137 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,490 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted May 06, 2013 - 02:25 PM

Who was the 2007 Finals MVP? Tony Parker has been leading the team ever since then.

Steve Nash is an all star caliber point guard and was a legitimate franchise player. But CP3 is a superstar. Of course he needs great players around him to win (even MJ did), but he can definitely lead a team to a championship. He was easily a top 5 player in the league this year.

How many SG/SF led a team to the championship compared to the PGs?

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#138 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,028 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 02:32 PM

How many SG/SF led a team to the championship compared to the PGs?

That's irrelevant. That doesn't mean a superstar PG in the right situation can't lead a team to a championship.

More guards and small forwards have lead teams to championships since 1990-1991. But that doesn't mean if you put a prime Shaq in the league right now he couldn't win a ring (even though there's only one superstar center in the game right now). I could say the same for Magic Johnson as well. HOF caliber players can win regardless of the position. 

#139 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,067 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 02:35 PM

That's irrelevant. That doesn't mean a superstar PG in the right situation can't lead a team to a championship.

More guards and small forwards have lead teams to championships since 1990-1991. But that doesn't mean if you put a prime Shaq in the league right now he couldn't win a ring (even though there's only one superstar center in the game right now). I could say the same for Magic Johnson as well. HOF caliber players can win regardless of the position. 

Magic had Kareem and Magic had James Worthy.  Two other superstars and all-time greats.   One of which(Kareem) is in contention and discussion for being the greatest basketball player of all time(between him and MJ)

DeAndre Jordan and James Worthy they are not close to that.

All you're doing is proving that he needs another superstar.

Chris Paul needs another superstar before he goes anywhere.  As long as Blake Griffin is the second guy, Chris Paul goes no further than the second round no matter how much depth the Clippers add.

The only other superstars are in New York or on the Lakers that he could legitimately go to. 

Otherwise he'll be carrying that team to the second round every single year till his mid 30s.

Edited by Majesty, May 06, 2013 - 02:35 PM.

#140 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,028 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 02:41 PM

Magic had Kareem and Magic had James Worthy.  Two other superstars and all-time greats.   One of which(Kareem) is in contention and discussion for being the greatest basketball player of all time(between him and MJ)

DeAndre Jordan and James Worthy they are not close to that.

All you're doing is proving that he needs another superstar.

Chris Paul needs another superstar before he goes anywhere.  As long as Blake Griffin is the second guy, Chris Paul goes no further than the second round no matter how much depth the Clippers add.

The only other superstars are in New York or on the Lakers that he could legitimately go to. 

Otherwise he'll be carrying that team to the second round every single year till his mid 30s.

I never said the Clippers were a contender. All I'm saying is that CP3 is capable of leading his team to a ring.

You don't necessarily need another superstar (although it helps no doubt). Especially with the new CBA it's very difficult to do. For example Kobe was able to do it a few years back with an all star Gasol and borderline all star in Odom. Obviously CP3 is not Kobe, but if you put the right type of role players and all stars around CP3 he could win. The question is if the Clippers management could do that. Nobody is questioning the talent of Chris Paul.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users