Photo

Do the Lakers stand a chance of signing Chris Paul this off-season?

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

Poll: Do the Lakers stand a chance of signing Chris Paul this off-season? (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Could the Lakers stand a chance of signing Chris Paul this offseason?

1. Yes (15 votes [26.32%])

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

2. No (42 votes [73.68%])

Percentage of vote: 73.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted May 04, 2013 - 08:50 AM

dreamers.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#102 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,226 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 09:19 AM

I still can't believe this topic has now reached 100 posts.

IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#103 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 04, 2013 - 09:39 AM

After watching the playoffs last 2 years should we want him?  Im not doubting his ability but he gets hurt around the playoffs time every year its ridiculous. 

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#104 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 8,974 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Grant

Posted May 04, 2013 - 09:41 AM

After watching the playoffs last 2 years should we want him? Im not doubting his ability but he gets hurt around the playoffs time every year its ridiculous.

He still puts up good numbers, and he still competes at a high level.

I'm fine with it.

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

#105 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,175 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 04, 2013 - 09:41 AM

After watching the playoffs last 2 years should we want him?  Im not doubting his ability but he gets hurt around the playoffs time every year its ridiculous. 

it doesn't stop him from scoring 35 in said playoffs, injured or not and that's all that matters =p 

if watching him last night was what an injured Chris Paul is, then sure, I'd love to pair that with Kobe and Dwight.   He isn't matt barnes =p

Edited by Majesty, May 04, 2013 - 09:42 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#106 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 09:44 AM

its not happening though  :laughing:

#107 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 09:48 AM

Its not like the regular season where he either puts up HIGH amounts of assists or scores very highly...its one or the other, hes become a high scorer each of the last 2 playoffs but his assists numbers have gone down a lot. He cant do both of them well at an elite level

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#108 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,175 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 09:52 AM

Its not like the regular season where he either puts up HIGH amounts of assists or scores very highly...its one or the other, hes become a high scorer each of the last 2 playoffs but his assists numbers have gone down a lot. He cant do both of them well at an elite level

His assist numbers went down because his supporting cast and "Depth" was ineffective and playing "watch CP3 save us" basketball and also suffering for having no real second go to option.

If CP3 had Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard and not Blake Griffin and Deandre Jordan his assists would go way up.  Heck even having Steve Nash on the court with him at the same time his assist numbers would go up.

#109 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 10:11 AM

He is a very very high usage player, hes gotta stop passing the ball if guys aren't making their shots I think this is where Kobe would excel because he'd do whatever it takes to win, Paul is making the right basketball play in hitting the open man but whats the point if that dude has been ice cold or hasn't been making his shots?

Also I cant believe Mike Conley had a huge game against him last night, the clips still scored a ton of points the defense lost them the game

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#110 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,175 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 10:18 AM

He is a very very high usage player, hes gotta stop passing the ball if guys aren't making their shots I think this is where Kobe would excel because he'd do whatever it takes to win, Paul is making the right basketball play in hitting the open man but whats the point if that dude has been ice cold or hasn't been making his shots?

Also I cant believe Mike Conley had a huge game against him last night, the clips still scored a ton of points the defense lost them the game

This is why the Lakers were the perfect destination for him.  He had a legit go to guy in Kobe Bryant and either could dominate in a given scenario and either could find the other to score in a given situation.

Was truly the perfect pairing cause their styles compliment each other so well.

That's why the NBA complained and pleaded Stern to veto the trade cause they knew.

So now Chris Paul has a star but not a viable go to option in Blake Griffin and will have to be the only guy to bail the team out.

Game 5 was very apparent when CP3 was one of only 2 clippers to score in double digits despite the 10 that played.

So yeah... not good. 

Everyone thinks that the Lakers got screwed and they did, but CP3 got screwed as well cause he pretty much is asked to do everything he did for the Hornets if not more and it's not Byron Scott that's handling it, it's Vinny Del Negro.  Much worse situation and more taxing on his body to be honest.

#111 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,175 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 10:26 AM

#112 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 10:54 AM

What could've been..

CP3 would love the spotlight.

Edited by Ham, May 04, 2013 - 10:55 AM.

#113 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,279 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted May 04, 2013 - 11:14 AM

I still don't see it happening, if he goes somewhere it May be New York, but I think he'll re-sign with the Clips 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#114 Alpha Four

Alpha Four

Fugitive Alien

• 501 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted May 04, 2013 - 11:43 AM

I still can't believe this topic has now reached 100 posts.

IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Well there is that 500+ post "Fire D'Antoni" thread...

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

• 40,556 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 11:50 AM

I'd argue David West was a better go-to-guy for CP3 than Griffin. At least with West, he was a proven clutch player, could count on him to knock down free throws more consistently, was absolutely money with that outside jumper, and could create more or less the same as Griffin on the post, if not probably better with somewhat of a superior fade-away as well. Remove the flash & dunks from Griffin especially and it's clear as day D-West was more reliable.

yo.

#116 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,175 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 11:51 AM

I'd argue David West was a better go-to-guy for CP3 than Griffin. At least with West, he was a proven clutch player, could count on him to knock down free throws more consistently, was absolutely money with that outside jumper, and could create more or less the same as Griffin on the post, if not probably better with somewhat of a superior fade-away as well. Remove the flash & dunks from Griffin especially and it's clear as day D-West was more reliable.

That's why the pacers are gonna retain him

#117 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,404 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 04, 2013 - 01:16 PM

Blake Griffin would have been forced to grow up without CP3.

His rookie season he was arguably the best PF in the game that season, because he created the offense for the team.

With Chris' high usage rate, Blake is asked to be more of a finisher and you get better the more you are forced to take in.

Example Harden is better after being the man for a season.

#118 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,324 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted May 06, 2013 - 06:33 AM

Cp3 to knicks coming shortly. he has lost all faith in bum clips

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#119 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,826 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 06, 2013 - 07:10 AM

Cp3 to knicks coming shortly. he has lost all faith in bum clips

I do expect CP3 to think long and hard about whether or not he should re-sign with the Clippers. With the roster he's had there this year there simply is no excuse for finishing 4th/5th in the West.

CP3 to Knicks is not going to happen since it's mathematically impossible for him to get there - same with Lakers. But i fear that Dallas or Houston could be players in that regard.

#120 MiguelSanchez

MiguelSanchez

Rookie

• 128 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Mike Penberthy

Posted May 06, 2013 - 09:21 AM

Hypothetically speaking, would people here be in favor of the following:

- Tell Metta he'll be amnestied unless he opts out and potentially re-sign him for something like 3 years, $8 million

- Waive Duhon

- Pick up Meeks' option

- Beg someone to take Pau without taking back any guaranteed salary for next year. I'm thinking someone like HOU or ATL directly, or another team indirectly with other players going to someone like Charlotte or Cleveland

- Try and dump Nash on Toronto for Kyle Lowry and a couple picks or whatever minimum salary

- Amnesty Kobe (yes I know this is the hardest to accept, but...)

This leaves the Lakers with:

Blake, Metta (at a cheaper rate), Hill, Lowry (who I think could be waived), Duhon's salary, and Meeks

Total of around $20 million, leaves $38 million below the cap

Sign CP3 and Dwight to whatever would be the max for CP3 (yes, Dwight would have to take less).

It might not be a championship team the first year but then the Lakers would have a full range of options for sign/trade and exceptions the following years, no luxury tax for next year, or, if they don't take on long term salary, still some cap space for 2014 with just CP3, Dwight, and Metta on the books. There are a lot of very good, but not quite max, players coming available in 2014.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users