Photo

Do the Lakers stand a chance of signing Chris Paul this off-season?

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

Poll: Do the Lakers stand a chance of signing Chris Paul this off-season? (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Could the Lakers stand a chance of signing Chris Paul this offseason?

1. Yes (15 votes [26.32%])

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

2. No (42 votes [73.68%])

Percentage of vote: 73.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted May 01, 2013 - 08:51 PM

I don't think Chris Paul bailing out on the Clippers is beyond reason, but I can't foresee a way the Lakers can get him.

I don't think he leaves, but it wouldn't shock me if he does. He plays for an awful owner, will always be in the shadow of the Lakers, and has a team full of talent that continues to develop at a snail's pace.

#42 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,302 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 01, 2013 - 09:08 PM

I don't think he leaves, but it wouldn't shock me if he does. He plays for an awful owner, will always be in the shadow of the Lakers, and has a team full of talent that continues to develop at a snail's pace.

If the Clippers get eliminated in the first round I think the chances are much bigger he does bail on the Clippers

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#43 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted May 01, 2013 - 10:09 PM

Guys Real Deal is not reaching on this one... so it probably won't happen.

#44 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,872 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 01, 2013 - 10:11 PM

Guys Real Deal is not reaching on this one... so it probably won't happen.

IF we land Chris Paul AND LeBron James by 2014, which is THE biggest reach I've ever made, and still find a way to keep Kobe and Dwight...then yes, I'll have no problem with it because we'll dominate.

#45 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,302 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 10:13 PM

IF we land Chris Paul AND LeBron James by 2014, which is THE biggest reach I've ever made, and still find a way to keep Kobe and Dwight...then yes, I'll have no problem with it because we'll dominate.

I'd say we have a bigger chance of landing Carmelo in 2014 over LeBron as Carmelo will have gone through two seasons of carrying the Knicks through failure and he won't want to do it anymore.   That plus his brotherly connection with Kobe.

Kobe always aid "Eventually he's gonna get tired of losing in the 2nd round"  well now it's the first round probems now =p

#46 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,872 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 10:15 PM

I'll pray to God that Carmelo isn't in a Lakers uniform, because he's nothing more than a scorer who doesn't play defense, doesn't pass the ball, and doesn't consider his teammates on the floor.

#47 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,302 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 10:28 PM

I'll pray to God that Carmelo isn't in a Lakers uniform, because he's nothing more than a scorer who doesn't play defense, doesn't pass the ball, and doesn't consider his teammates on the floor.

Think he'd do that on a team with Kobe in his ear? 

All Kobe has to say is

"My way got me 5 championship rings.  How many did your way get you?"

During a hard practice :laughing:

Edited by Majesty, May 01, 2013 - 10:28 PM.

#48 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 01, 2013 - 10:48 PM

The usual stat lines for Carmelo look like: 34/4/0, on 13-34 shooting. He doesn't pass, and he's the undisputed alpha dog now on his team. He can shoot to his heart's content. If he ever came to LA, he would cause more drama because he wouldn't get his 35 shots a night. 

#49 Holden_Magroin

Holden_Magroin

Rookie

• 53 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar & Kobe

Posted May 01, 2013 - 10:54 PM

I like the idea that Chris Paul signs a 1 year deal and we make a run for him in 2014. But if not its cool, 2014 is loaded with so much talent its not funny. 

#50 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 21,807 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted May 01, 2013 - 10:55 PM

We had him once. No double jeopardy.

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#51 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,302 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 12:18 AM

Guaranteed contracts for next season (assuming Ron takes his player option, and he will, because he's not stupid):

Kobe Bryant ($30,453,000)
Pau Gasol ($19,285,850)
Steve Nash ($9,300,500)
Ron Artest ($7,727,280)
Steve Blake ($4,000,000)
Chris Duhon ($3,920,000)
Jordan Hill ($3,500,000)

A combo of JUST Kobe and Gasol (no Dwight, and nobody on or off the list above aside from KB and Pau) makes it impossible for us to sign CP3 outright.

Re-sign Dwight, keep Kobe, and we can't get CP3...even if we had just those two, nobody else on the roster.

Now...we trade everyone but Kobe, re-sign Dwight, and trade a draft pick for CP3?  Okay, but that's incredibly unlikely.

It's unfortunate, but no team can afford to have two superstar max deals on the roster AND bring in another, unless they plan on having just two guys on the roster when they bring the third superstar in, PLUS plan on the S&T to get that third star (maximum salary will likely be around $20 million for first year of contracts).

Miami took advantage of the old CBA rule, S&T, and forcing their hand...plus already having Wade making less than $16 million.

Sadly, Kobe and Gasol are slated to make well over that, especially Kobe, and Howard has no reason to take $10-12 million a year...and neither does CP3.

Yes but you are forgetting one important detail that trumps all statistics.

Kobe dunked on him.

So by design that means not only will we get Chris Paul, but Josh Smith as well =p

#52 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,037 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted May 02, 2013 - 12:26 AM

Yes but you are forgetting one important detail that trumps all statistics.

Kobe dunked on him.

So by design that means not only will we get Chris Paul, but Josh Smith as well =p

Hahaha and LeBron too? :pray:

#53 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 880 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted May 02, 2013 - 01:49 AM

I have a feeling he might leave if they don't make it out of the 1st round. My question is where are some of the other destinations that will put him in a better situation then with the Clippers? Just curious. Does he think of teaming with Harden at Houston and forming the best backcourt in the league. Do Houston make a
play for him if they dip out on D12. Dallas will probably make a run at him but a aging Dirk is not as enticing. What other teams can
realistically put him in a better position. I'd love for our Lakers to be but the likelihood of that is
very slim. We would probably have to amnesty Kobe and trade Gasol to a team under that can absorb his whole contract. We would also have to renounce our rights on all our free agents and not pick up Meeks option. We would then have to try and trade some our remaining guys Nash,MWP,Blake,Hill and Duhon. We would somehow have to cut at least 10 more mill off of their combined contracts which total nearly 29 mill. Again having to trade to teams that can
absorb salary and give future picks. If we were able to do all of this we then would be able to sign him. That's alot of moves which would have to happen to be able to sign CP3. On top of that we have to sacrifice Kobe to make it happen which is huge and would piss alot of people off.
We would have a depleted roster after this with Dwight and CP3 the new 1-2 punch. We would have to fill the rest of the roster out with the MLE and vet min and our picks. While this team may not necessarily win a championship this season it would set up the team for the short
term future. If we signed most players to one year deals to fill the roster it would also give us a chance to improve the team further if just D12 and CP3 were on the books for 2014. Personally though I feel the chances of all of this happening are about as likely as me winning lotto lol.

Edited by jax24, May 02, 2013 - 02:02 AM.

#54 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 920 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted May 02, 2013 - 03:45 AM

IF we fire Mike dantoni, hire Phil Jackson, land Chris Paul AND LeBron James by 2014, which is THE biggest reach I've ever made, and still find a way to keep Kobe and Dwight...then yes, I'll have no problem with it because we'll dominate.

Fixed for championship hopes

#55 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,607 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 12:27 PM

Real Deal, if we wanted to just sign CP3 for 1 year for less than the Clippers could give him (assuming he'd be for it and [expletive]) could we still do that and just amnesty Pau?

Would this be okay because it's not a sign and trade? Then when 2014 we give him a max. I know this is like the most unlikely thing ever but just curious if that theoretically flies?

#56 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,302 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 01:17 PM

Alright i do have a question.

If Dwight and Chris Paul both took less money to sign here(as in no max) how much money would each have to take?

#57 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,872 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 01:31 PM

Real Deal, if we wanted to just sign CP3 for 1 year for less than the Clippers could give him (assuming he'd be for it and [expletive]) could we still do that and just amnesty Pau?

Would this be okay because it's not a sign and trade? Then when 2014 we give him a max. I know this is like the most unlikely thing ever but just curious if that theoretically flies?

Even if we hit Pau with the amnesty, we still have to have the cap room to sign players. It's not a matter of replacing contracts, it's where we are at in regards to our payroll. Cap will be set to around $58-60 million (don't know the exact number yet, but similar to this season), and Kobe and Nash, by themselves, make up for about $39-40 million of that.

Additionally, I doubt Chris Paul signs a one-year deal with any team.

Alright i do have a question.

If Dwight and Chris Paul both took less money to sign here(as in no max) how much money would each have to take?

We have Dwight's Bird Rights, so we can give him max. CP3 would have to take the mini-MLE, which is around $3 million or so.

At this point, it doesn't matter what Dwight takes. Even if he took $2 million, we'd still have to sign CP3 for the mini-MLE...Dwight or not, we're still over the cap by a significant margin (approx. $20 million).

#58 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,872 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 01:36 PM

In other words...we can let all expiring contracts go, amnesty Gasol, NOT sign Dwight Howard, and STILL not have money to sign ANY free agents, unless we use the mini-MLE.

GUARANTEED
Kobe - $30,453,000
Nash - $9,300,000
Blake - $4,000,000
Duhon - $3,920,000
Hill - $3,500,000
Artest - $7,727,280 (player option that he'll likely take)

EXPIRING
Dwight Howard
Jodie Meeks (team option)
Antawn Jamison
Earl Clark
Devin Ebanks
Darius Morris
Robert Sacre
Andrew Goudelock
Darius Johnson-Odom

AMNESTIED
Pau Gasol

Payroll Total - $58,900,280 (cap at around $58-60 million)

Being a non-tax team, though (with ALL of that done, Dwight not signed), we could S&T for Chris Paul...but we would lose Dwight.

Re-signing Dwight Howard puts us over the tax threshold, and that prevents us from receiving a player in a S&T.

Nearly impossible to pull off.

#59 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,872 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 01:47 PM

Let's play with the numbers for a bit.

I'm not on board with slapping the amnesty on Kobe Bryant, but assuming we did (because I know people are still thinking it)...

GUARANTEED
Gasol - $19,285,850
Nash - $9,300,000
Blake - $4,000,000
Duhon - $3,920,000
Hill - $3,500,000
Artest - $7,727,280 (player option that he'll likely take)

EXPIRING
Dwight Howard
Jodie Meeks (team option)
Antawn Jamison
Earl Clark
Devin Ebanks
Darius Morris
Robert Sacre
Andrew Goudelock
Darius Johnson-Odom

AMNESTIED
Kobe Bryant

Payroll - $47,733,130 (cap around $58-60 million)

Chris Paul would have to take $10 million or so in the first year of his contract, and we also would have to let go of Dwight (they close the loophole that would allow us to get CP3 FIRST, then re-sign Howard).

Neither will happen.

#60 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,224 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted May 02, 2013 - 01:49 PM

I could totally see CP3 and Vinny Del Negro leaving the team this summer (if they get bounce out) 

Edited by True Lakers Fan, May 02, 2013 - 01:49 PM.

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users