Photo

Do the Lakers stand a chance of signing Chris Paul this off-season?

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

Poll: Do the Lakers stand a chance of signing Chris Paul this off-season? (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Could the Lakers stand a chance of signing Chris Paul this offseason?

1. Yes (15 votes [26.32%])

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

2. No (42 votes [73.68%])

Percentage of vote: 73.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JasonWll

JasonWll

Rookie

• 236 posts
  • Fan Since:Ever
  • Fav. Laker:Earvin Magic Johnson

Posted May 01, 2013 - 10:46 AM

Let me start off by saying that I personally never thought the Lakers (or any other team for that matter) would stand a chance of luring him away from the Clippers.

Maybe no one still does... but what if the Clippers fail to advance past first round of the playoffs? It would be a huge disappointment for everybody in clippers nation... and for CP3? You know what a what a competitor he is! Couldn't that change things?

The Lakers would have to move a lot of pieces (Nash, Pau, Metta, Duhon) to make it possible... but, hey! Mitch did it before, so...

Like I said, I never though he'd leave the Clippers, but if they don't make it past the first round, it wouldn't surprise me if he asked for a sign-and-trade...

What do you think? Is there a chance it could happen?

Posted Image

#2 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted May 01, 2013 - 10:50 AM

They can't sign ANYONE other than veteran minimums and their MLE...so no.

#3 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 01, 2013 - 10:50 AM

Let me start off by saying that I personally never thought the Lakers (or any other team for that matter) would stand a chance of luring him away from the Clippers.

Maybe no one still does... but what if the Clippers fail to advance past first round of the playoffs? It would be a huge disappointment for everybody in clippers nation... and for CP3? You know what a what a competitor he is! Couldn't that change things?

The Lakers would have to move a lot of pieces (Nash, Pau, Metta, Duhon) to make it possible... but, hey! Mitch did it before, so...

Like I said, I never though he'd leave the Clippers, but if they don't make it past the first round, it wouldn't surprise me if he asked for a sign-and-trade...

What do you think? Is there a chance it could happen?

Nope.

1) Chris Paul gets less money in a S&T

2) Why would Clippers trade him to us?

#4 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted May 01, 2013 - 10:55 AM

At the end of the day, I do think he would be open to leaving the Clippers if he has a chance to play with Dwight and on the Lakers, but there really is no opportunity for us and no way that Sterling would allow it. 

#5 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,991 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 01, 2013 - 10:59 AM

I heard Max and Marcellus talk about CP3 and that it was possible - in theory. 

Personally i really doubt it. They'd have to amnesty Kobe and trade almost everyone else to other teams without getting anything back, which in itself is difficlult. And even if they could pull it off, they wouldn't really be better off next season anyways and in 2014, they wouldn't be able  to go after anyone. 

If CP3 and Howard wanted to play together, they'd have to go to Houston, Dallas or Atlanta. 

#6 JasonWll

JasonWll

Rookie

• 236 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 11:02 AM

They can't sign ANYONE other than veteran minimums and their MLE...so no.

Could we sign Nash? No.

Did we get Nash? Yes.

Nope.

1) Chris Paul gets less money in a S&T

2) Why would Clippers trade him to us?

1) Really? I thought it was the opposite...

2) The same reason the Suns traded Nash to us. If he says, "I'm not staying and this is where I wanna go" why not?

Posted Image

#7 KarlCalaguas12

KarlCalaguas12

Off The Bench

• 2,103 posts
  • Name:Karl
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted May 01, 2013 - 11:04 AM

The Lakers don't have a chance to get Chris Paul. I think Paul would re-sign with the Clippers. Too bad he has to deal with DeAndre Jordan and Blake Griffin instead of having Dwight Howard and Kobe Bryant on his side.

#8 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,876 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted May 01, 2013 - 11:06 AM

Last year was the last year the Lakers could do a sign and trade.  Most the Lakers can offer is like mini MLE.  I don't think that stacks up against a 120 million max offer...

Could we sign Nash? No.

Did we get Nash? Yes.

2) The same reason the Suns traded Nash to us. If he says, "I'm not staying and this is where I wanna go" why not?

#9 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 11:07 AM

Could we sign Nash? No.

Did we get Nash? Yes.

S&T contracts must be for at least 3 years and no more than 4 years so he automatically gets less money because of that aspect. 

Also PHX trading to us is a completely different situation than the Clippers, also we have no draft picks to offer the Clippers that would make it worth their while. Don't look at it from a Lakers fan point of view, look at it from the Clippers side.  What is the incentive to trade Chris Paul to the Lakers? There's not much, if any. 

#10 JasonWll

JasonWll

Rookie

• 236 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 11:14 AM

S&T contracts must be for at least 3 years and no more than 4 years so he automatically gets less money because of that aspect. 

Also PHX trading to us is a completely different situation than the Clippers, also we have no draft picks to offer the Clippers that would make it worth their while. Don't look at it from a Lakers fan point of view, look at it from the Clippers side.  What is the incentive to trade Chris Paul to the Lakers? There's not much, if any. 

Really? So the Lakers can't sign and trade Dwight, can they?

Posted Image

#11 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted May 01, 2013 - 11:19 AM

We can't receive players in a sign-and-trade anymore, since we're over the luxury tax threshold...just kicked in from the new CBA.

So it would involve an amnesty to Kobe, and us not re-signing Dwight (or trading everyone after the Kobe amnesty, just having Dwight and CP3, which would be nearly impossible)...and at that point, there's no reason to bring CP3 in.

#12 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 11:20 AM

Really? So the Lakers can't sign and trade Dwight, can they?

They can, but Dwight probably wouldn't agree to it UNLESS it's somewhere he desperately wants to go that has little to no cap space.  Although if he does want to go to another team regardless, he can't won't get a max contract anyways so there's always the chance they could work it out. 

This was something that happened with LeBron, but the CBA was different when he was a free agent. 

CLEVELAND, OH - July 10, 2010 - The Cleveland Cavaliers agreed to a sign-and-trade deal with the Miami Heat to acquire the rights to five future draft picks and receive a traded player exception for free-agent forward LeBron James, Cavaliers General Manager Chris Grant announced today. Per team and league policy, terms of the contract were not released. 

"This deal provides us with multiple key assets and additional flexibility as we move forward for both the short term and beyond," said Cavaliers General Manager Chris Grant. 

Cleveland now owns two of Miami’s first-round draft picks starting no earlier than 2013 and continuing through 2017, the Heat’s 2012 second-round pick from New Orleans, and the future second-round pick Miami acquired from Oklahoma City. Additionally, Cleveland will have the right to swap 2012 first-round picks with the Heat. The trade also gives Cleveland a very large trade exception, which the Cavaliers can now use in trades within one calendar year.

#13 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted May 01, 2013 - 11:30 AM

Guaranteed contracts for next season (assuming Ron takes his player option, and he will, because he's not stupid):

Kobe Bryant ($30,453,000)
Pau Gasol ($19,285,850)
Steve Nash ($9,300,500)
Ron Artest ($7,727,280)
Steve Blake ($4,000,000)
Chris Duhon ($3,920,000)
Jordan Hill ($3,500,000)

A combo of JUST Kobe and Gasol (no Dwight, and nobody on or off the list above aside from KB and Pau) makes it impossible for us to sign CP3 outright.

Re-sign Dwight, keep Kobe, and we can't get CP3...even if we had just those two, nobody else on the roster.

Now...we trade everyone but Kobe, re-sign Dwight, and trade a draft pick for CP3?  Okay, but that's incredibly unlikely.

It's unfortunate, but no team can afford to have two superstar max deals on the roster AND bring in another, unless they plan on having just two guys on the roster when they bring the third superstar in, PLUS plan on the S&T to get that third star (maximum salary will likely be around $20 million for first year of contracts).

Miami took advantage of the old CBA rule, S&T, and forcing their hand...plus already having Wade making less than $16 million.

Sadly, Kobe and Gasol are slated to make well over that, especially Kobe, and Howard has no reason to take $10-12 million a year...and neither does CP3.

#14 JGuez

JGuez

Sixth Man

• 3,099 posts

Posted May 01, 2013 - 11:43 AM

Well I wish I read the thread before I voted yes lol. Didn't realize all the rules.

I assumed we could just amnesty Pau then just sign CP3 straight up and pay any taxes.

Guess not.

#15 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,966 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted May 01, 2013 - 11:46 AM

Lol someone needs to read the CBA. 

#16 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted May 01, 2013 - 11:57 AM

We can't do anything significant in free agency until 2014.

#17 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,963 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 01, 2013 - 12:07 PM

Nope
#WaiveWes

ezk2ds.jpg

#18 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,564 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 01, 2013 - 12:58 PM

I honestly as a Laker fan would look into Amnestying Kobe and letting him heal, rest, and recover in order to come back stronger to sign him in 2014.

With the money left over, sign CP3.  So basically by the 2014 season it'll be the team we imagined with CP3/Kobe/Dwight.

DAVID STERN CAN'T VETO THAT! haha

Realistically though, the chances are slim.  Paul isn't going to win anytime soon with the Clippers though, they'll compete, but don't have all the tools to win it all.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#19 JRG_24

JRG_24

Starter

• 5,261 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Ron Artest

Posted May 01, 2013 - 01:25 PM

Maybe if we trade pau for a pick. And offer him 19 mil per year?

#20 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted May 01, 2013 - 01:26 PM

Sigh it's literally impossible
This is the year where the new S&T rules kick in. If a team is over the luxury tax/salary cap line they cannot engage in S&Ts. We will be way over the salary cap. It's impossible, and clippers will never trade him to us. CP3 is never going to be a laker we had our chance and stern killed it.
Laker fan for life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users