27 replies to this topic

#1 Wilt

Wilt

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • Fan Since:always
  • Fav. Laker:Wilt Chamberlain

Posted April 30, 2013 - 02:25 PM

Okay, maybe someone can explain the deal on this.

On the one hand D'antoni said he understands Dwight's frustration because he was getting beat up pretty hard.

Then I saw Charles Barkley talking about how Dwight needs to learn how to post up.

Now maybe things would be different if Dwight could make free throws, but what exactly are the rules on fouling?

The way they wrestle when Dwight doesn't even have the ball seems nuts to me. Then when he gets it, they might as well surround him and clobber him with bats. Fouls are called when it's obviously intentional, but otherwise they often seem to get away with it.

I don't recall this sort of thing with Kareem or Wilt or anybody. Obviously, those guys were double and triple teamed, but they weren't allowed to be mauled to death. Doesn't seem like basketball to me.

P.S. and the irony are all the little tickytack fouls that are often called where someone is barely touched. Seriously, what's the deal?

Edited by Wilt, April 30, 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#2 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 30, 2013 - 02:32 PM

A part of it is Dwight's sheer size and strength, which is much more imposing in real life. Kareem and Wilt had skinnier physiques, and it takes more force to visibly affect Dwight, where it then becomes a foul. Now these little shoves and holds might not be obvious to a fan or a referee, but they do affect Dwight a lot to the point of a miss or a turnover.

#3 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,301 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 30, 2013 - 02:38 PM

Lol @ 'clobber him with bats'

The truth is that the Refs hold Dwight to a different standard; they let a lot of those body contact fouls go because of how strong he is.

Also, they missed quite a few flagrant 1 fouls in the Spurs series. Bonner wrapped up Dwight a few times without even looking at the ball.

Edited by Lakerace24, April 30, 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#4 Wilt

Wilt

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 02:40 PM

A part of it is Dwight's sheer size and strength, which is much more imposing in real life. Kareem and Wilt had skinnier physiques, and it takes more force to visibly affect Dwight, where it then becomes a foul. Now these little shoves and holds might not be obvious to a fan or a referee, but they do affect Dwight a lot to the point of a miss or a turnover.

Don't really get what you're saying. Seems like they are obviously tangling and wrestling with him even when he doesn't have the ball so he can't get position when he's trying to post up.

Kareem may have been skinnier, but Wilt was the strongest man in basketball. I was just watching this:

Regardless of how strong or big they are, I don't get what the rules are in regard to wrestling and mauling. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think if you look at old footage of Kareem or Wilt, they didn't have to wrestle constantly to get position. I don't think it would have been allowed. And wilt was a lousy free throw shooter, so they could have used the same stategy back then. But the rules must have changed or something.

Edited by Wilt, April 30, 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#5 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,847 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted April 30, 2013 - 03:27 PM

I think they should call intentional fouls on a player without the ball exactly as it's written in the rulebook

Flagrant or technicalp foul

#6 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 824 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 03:37 PM

Don't really get what you're saying. Seems like they are obviously tangling and wrestling with him even when he doesn't have the ball so he can't get position when he's trying to post up.

Kareem may have been skinnier, but Wilt was the strongest man in basketball. I was just watching this:

Regardless of how strong or big they are, I don't get what the rules are in regard to wrestling and mauling. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think if you look at old footage of Kareem or Wilt, they didn't have to wrestle constantly to get position. I don't think it would have been allowed. And wilt was a lousy free throw shooter, so they could have used the same stategy back then. But the rules must have changed or something.

What I'm saying is exactly what you are saying. My point is that since he is so big and imposing, it takes more contact for a foul to be called. Is this fair? Not at all, but a lot of contact that's obvious to us as viewers is not so obvious to the officials. 

#7 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,847 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted April 30, 2013 - 03:46 PM

1 shot plus ball

Ends hack-a-whoever

#8 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 04:38 PM

Dwight is very tightly officiated for whatever reason.  It was like that in Orlando as well.

I'm not sure how many times Dwight was called for offensive foul for just backing down his defender or simply getting position in the post. Some of the fouls the officials call are exactly why the NBA is so damn soft today.

#9 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,037 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted April 30, 2013 - 04:53 PM

Shaq and Wilt had the same issue. It just comes with being the most dominant big man in the league. 

#10 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,602 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 30, 2013 - 05:17 PM

NBA promotes lazy one on one defense year after year after year.

Why the heck should anyone growing up nowadays have to learn how to defend someone one on one in iso in an era of zone and how to defend the post when you'll never get a foul call if someone is bigger and stronger than you.

And people wonder why individual defense is a rare sight in todays game....

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#11 Wilt

Wilt

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 06:03 PM

Here's a clip of the Lakers-Celtics from 1969 (I typed 1669 at first, which it might as well be).

But you can see in the first few possessions, Wilt goes down and takes his spot in the low post. Bill Russell is right there, but he can't just start trying to push him out like they do with Dwight. Maybe I'll try and find a Dwight clip, but I'm sure you all know the difference. He goes down and it's instantly a wrestling match with whoever pushing him and shoving and sticking arms in his face and tangling him up. It's ridiculous. And then when Dwight pushes back, HE gets the offensive call.

Don't get me wrong, at this point I don't think Dwight is at the level of Wilt, Kareem, and Shaq, but let the man play basketball. Is this the NBA or the WWF??

#12 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,821 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted April 30, 2013 - 06:46 PM

I don't buy the whole Dwight is too big for the refs to notice the contact bull[expletive]. Look at LeBron. When he gets tapped on the wrist and lays it up with ease he gets an and 1, and that happens probably 3-4 times a game.

#13 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,877 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted April 30, 2013 - 08:17 PM

tumblr_mm0w5wjnPO1qzss4xo5_1280.jpg

NO FOUL, GUYS.

#14 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted April 30, 2013 - 08:22 PM

I don't buy the whole Dwight is too big for the refs to notice the contact bull[expletive]. Look at LeBron. When he gets tapped on the wrist and lays it up with ease he gets an and 1, and that happens probably 3-4 times a quarter.

Posted Image

#15 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,602 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 09:05 PM

NO FOUL, GUYS.

But but but he sucks on offense.. how the heck can someone that sucks on offense draw so much defensive attention.. I mean they are defending him like they're actually afraid to leave him alone down there... it can't be!!!!  

/sarcasm

:bounce:

Edited by Majesty, April 30, 2013 - 09:06 PM.

#16 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 824 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 10:41 PM

I don't buy the whole Dwight is too big for the refs to notice the contact bull[expletive]. Look at LeBron. When he gets tapped on the wrist and lays it up with ease he gets an and 1, and that happens probably 3-4 times a game.

Because Lebron is the shining poster child of the NBA, ESPN, BleacherReport, everything. If they allowed them to hold Lebron the same, Lebron would be crying before long. 

#17 mrclutch

mrclutch

Rookie

• 1,156 posts
  • Fav. Laker:michael cooper

Posted April 30, 2013 - 11:16 PM

That picture pisses me off to no end.... cant wait to play tim duncan and that entire team next year

#18 Wilt

Wilt

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 11:23 PM

NO FOUL, GUYS.

Seriously, wtf?

It's like a gang rape.

#19 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,602 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 11:35 PM

Seriously, wtf?

It's like a gang rape.

Somewhere someone on the internet is tempted to put a "Brazzers" logo on that picture =p

#20 t-1

t-1

Rookie

• 559 posts
  • Fan Since:2009

Posted May 01, 2013 - 05:20 AM

NO FOUL, GUYS.

Wow he has all  guys on the spurs hanging on him and he still manages to get off the ground a little.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users