Photo

Phil Jackson Ready To Listen To Raptors' Opportunity/Nets Expected To Pursue Jackson

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted April 30, 2013 - 11:48 AM

Jackson_Phil_lal_091015.jpg

Phil Jackson is prepared to listen to a pitch from the Toronto Raptors about taking a lead role in their basketball operations, but a source says that he wants to listen to options from other teams as well.

Jackson would prefer an advisory role similar to Jerry West's current position with the Golden State Warriors rather than a more active role similar to Pat Riley with the Miami Heat.

Multiple sources doubt whether Jackson would be satisfied by a position with the Raptors. A similar position with the Charlotte Bobcats was not initially appealing to Jackson.

Jackson would seek a situation where he can hire a head coach that would implement his vision.

Speculation that Jackson could end up with the Raptors increased with the hiring of Tim Leiweke, former CEO of AEG.

"He's very well-connected in the league and he has to rebuild that franchise," a league source said of Leiweke. "... He's about championships. They didn't just bring him in there to mind the house."

Sources told ESPN that the Raptors perceived the Seattle-based ownership group that has been attempting to purchase the Kings as the Raptors' biggest threat for Jackson.

Jackson_Phil_lal_090525.jpg

The Brooklyn Nets signed Billy King to a contract extension last week to remain general manager, but sources expect Mikhail Prokhorov to again pursue Phil Jackson.

Prokhorov reached out to Jackson following the dismissal of Avery Johnson.

Jackson is interested in an advisory front office position and not in returning to coaching.

#2 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,073 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted April 30, 2013 - 12:26 PM

My money is on him going to the Nets.  That russian billionare is a mafia leader. He will do whatever it take to get Phil.  And I see Phil in New York more. I cannot picture him coaching in Toronto unless he wants to be irrelevant because no matter how much power he have in Toronto, nobody cares about that team or that city in the U.S.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#3 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,721 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted April 30, 2013 - 02:47 PM

Lakers worst nightmare:

PJ as Clippers advisor

Brian Shaw as coach

Lakers amnesty Kobe and he goes there too

Huge FA destination for years to come

Not saying it's going to happen, espacially given that PJ and Sterling have a history, but if it did, it would really really suck.  I could see Phil taking the gig just to stick it to Jimmie B.

#4 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,942 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 30, 2013 - 05:01 PM

I could see the nets paying Phil 15-30 million a year in salary....
I could also see the owner buying hil Jackson a huge kingdom..

#5 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,073 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 01, 2013 - 07:25 AM

Lakers worst nightmare:

PJ as Clippers advisor

Brian Shaw as coach

Lakers amnesty Kobe and he goes there too

Huge FA destination for years to come

Not saying it's going to happen, espacially given that PJ and Sterling have a history, but if it did, it would really really suck.  I could see Phil taking the gig just to stick it to Jimmie B.

No way it will happen because believe it or not but Phil hates Sterling more than J Buss.  Phil can hate J Buss all he wants but J Buss will be part of his family when he marries Jennie and sooner or later they will get along. Sterling to me is the worst human being on this face of the earth and no way Phil end up liking Sterling

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users