28 replies to this topic

#1 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,855 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted April 30, 2013 - 08:25 AM

Listening to Mike and Mike yesterday and Mike Golic is talking about Jim Buss.

Mike Golic? It's almost comical that someone with such little insight on Western conference NBA, would know anything about the "ego" of Jim Buss. 

And then there is Stephen A Smith. 

Last year it was Jim Buss will not trade Bynum, but he traded him. So now, it's a D'Antoni thing and so even though it's WIDELY reported that Dr. Buss wanted a semblance of Showtime, there was no "blame" dared cast forth in his direction.

And the sickest part of all, is saying things like "Mr. Silver Spoon."

you want jim Buss to feel ashamed to be Doctor Buss' son? It's his fault that he was born rich?

i understand trying to create a narrative, but they don't tell both sides.

they were LITERALLY saying last season that the Lakers could make ZERO moves to improve the roster and we got Ramon. It didn't get us to the championship, but 2nd round in a rebuilding year wasn't bad. Don't forget the CP3 trade.

After Ramon opted out, again, they said Lakers were financially strapped and that Jim Buss was cheap, and loo at the team the front office put together on paper.

And I'll still take this year's roster over last year's.

So, it didn't work out. D'Antoni was part to blame of that and Jim is PART to blame of D'antoni's hire. I think kobe could have led more. Dwight could have followed quicker. D'Antoni could have handled minutes better and got out of Kobe's way sooner. I thought beyond all that though, the injury big could have bit another team. 

We've seen portland andWashington and other teams go through this type of every starter gets injured situation, but who knew this would be our season.

45-37 with injuries

But the 17-25 portion was some BLOWN games and just overall bad play .

None of the positives presented though. And the season that he buries his father, he has to put up with non sense from clowns on a soapbox.

I Love Jeanie, but she is sticking to her strong suit and Jim is fulfilling Doctor Jerry Buss' wishes. I can see if he were Mark cuban, who brings criticism to himself. Or Paul Allen, the richest owner but also CHEAP!

This guy has done nothing but slowly integrate himself into the fold, and all people want to talk about his this HUGE ego. it's unfair and s Lakers fans, you should be outraged instead of giving these guys the fuel to keep disrespecting the check writer.

#2 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,090 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 30, 2013 - 08:32 AM

I just want to ask Jim Buss (or whoever is responsible) why did he hire Mike D'Antoni

Pau Gasol is GONE

#3 Holden_Magroin

Holden_Magroin

Rookie

• 53 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar & Kobe

Posted April 30, 2013 - 08:54 AM

Dr. Jerry Bus wanted showtime back, read the reports and you'll find the truth. I'm sure his son was happy to oblige his father and thats why they got MDA. To compliment Steve Nash and bring showtime back. And boy did that ever fail. 

#4 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,380 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 30, 2013 - 09:02 AM

Jim Buss will be heading into the off-season as the guy.  His dad is not around anymore so now we know it will be Jim calling the shots. 

He has time to grow as an owner.  Like the OP said, it was always reported that Jim loved Bynum and would never trade him, but as we saw, that wasn't true or it at least changed. 

People change.  Will Jim change for the betterment of the franchise? That remains to be seen but its possible.  

I think this situation is far better for the development of Jim opposed to having a championship caliber team which would make things easier for him.  He has to put the work in to better the Lakers, we will see if he can get it done.  We as fans just have to hope for the best. 

#5 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,855 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 09:16 AM

That was a fail. But to only tell one side of the story is horrible.

i know memories are short but the Mike Brown portion of this year, which was training camp to day 5, we seemed worse than  the worse i've seen in this D'Antoni era.

we tried to win our last 3 pre-season games and failed miserably. The Mavs beat us with all D-Leaguers, simply out-coached, and so on and so forth.

Assuming the felt Phil was trying to throw his weight around, and ask for too much, I felt as long as they got rid of Mike Brown, any credible NBA coach could come in here and do some damage.

The point with MDA is the adjustments(except rotations) were made, and I know the front office will NOT allow him to play a short rotation any longer, he knows that.

We couldn't afford injuries to Hill and Blake and Pau, with Dwight not being the normal guy we're accustomed too and Nash with a broken leg.

I can't imagine the Clippes if blake could barely Dunk at the start of the year, DeAndre was as injured as Pau was throughout the season, now you lean on Lamar to play extra minutes and he gets hurt. Crawford and Bledsoe missing major time and playing CP3 38 minutes a game.

What do you think their record would be? Would they have had the resolve to make the playoffs?

What I can'yt stand about this, is EVERYONE knows that after a title run, who have to go through a down period.

We had our run, and with Phil got swept in the 2nd.

Lost Odom,Phil, and a vexed CP3 trade in a LOCk-out season.  No Shannon Brown, still got to second round. Won a game.

Flipped an All-Star for a better All-Star and even better role players in that deal. Got an All-Star PG who was still highly effective last season, to add to Pau and Kobe Bryant. Jamison off the bench. Metta, Blake,Meeks,Hill and Clark emerged.

I mean, who looks at this ROSTEr and goes straight for the OWNER, and his EGO.

Everyone acts like no Phil, no rings for the Lakers, and Lakers fans can't think tha the Heat have a coach on that level, or OKC either. So is it the coach, or is it the roster or was it injuries and continuity?

the answer is simple

#6 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,450 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 09:23 AM

I'm confident in Jim Bus. Mitch and him have provided us with 2 superstar teams 2 years in row.

The first year our team was vetoed by the NBA and the 2nd year we had the wrong coaches to go with it plus we were plagued with injuries. 

I'm excited to see what they give us for next season.

#7 LAKing85

LAKing85

Rookie

• 446 posts
  • Fan Since:89'
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe "Black Mamba" Bryant

Posted April 30, 2013 - 09:35 AM

Those Mike and Mike guys don't know what the hell their talking about sometimes. There have been some good and bad moves Jim Buss has
made. It's not his fault that David "The Devil" Stern blocked the Chris Paul trade that would've landed us a trio of CP3/Kobe/Dwight but that's in the past. What I do blame Jim is the back to back hiring of terrible coaches for this team. Dr. Buss may have had the final say in hiring D'Antoni but he did for his son who everyone knows has never gotten a long with Phil. Jim and his HUGE ego wanted have his own imprint on the team and get away from the man and the system that's been responsible for 5 NBA champships in the last 13 years

#8 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,450 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 09:37 AM

Those Mike and Mike guys don't know what the hell their talking about sometimes. There have been some good and bad moves Jim Buss has
made. It's not his fault that David "The Devil" Stern blocked the Chris Paul trade that would've landed us a trio of CP3/Kobe/Dwight but that's in the past. What I do blame Jim is the back to back hiring of terrible coaches for this team. Dr. Buss may have had the final say in hiring D'Antoni but he did for his son who everyone knows has never gotten a long with Phil. Jim and his HUGE ego wanted have his own imprint on the team and get away from the man and the system that's been responsible for 5 NBA champships in the last 13 years

Care to provide any proof to those statements?? 

Edited by JGuez, April 30, 2013 - 09:38 AM.

#9 Lemon

Lemon

Rookie

• 361 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted April 30, 2013 - 10:47 AM

You can't say he hasn't messed up since he took up the commanding hand.

- Fired everyone from the Jackson "camp." 

- Hired Mike Brown. Adelman was available. Mike Brown's offense is dependent on a superstar running an offense. Kobe runs the triangle the best.

- Hired MDA over Phil Jackson. Granted PJ wanted a stake in the front office, but after everything he's done why not? He's been with Jeanie for a long time. Practically family.

He is deeply involved with the franchise which is great, but sometimes he should just let people do their job.That being said, everyone makes mistakes i guess.

#10 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,855 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 11:16 AM

You can't say he hasn't messed up since he took up the commanding hand.

- Fired everyone from the Jackson "camp." 

- Hired Mike Brown. Adelman was available. Mike Brown's offense is dependent on a superstar running an offense. Kobe runs the triangle the best.

- Hired MDA over Phil Jackson. Granted PJ wanted a stake in the front office, but after everything he's done why not? He's been with Jeanie for a long time. Practically family.

He is deeply involved with the franchise which is great, but sometimes he should just let people do their job.That being said, everyone makes mistakes i guess.

Nothing you said is concrete on Jim solely.

#11 Lemon

Lemon

Rookie

• 361 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted April 30, 2013 - 11:41 AM

Nothing you said is concrete on Jim solely.

Not nothing.

"Adelman badly wanted the Los Angeles Lakers job, and he would’ve been hired had GM Mitch Kupchak not had to defer to Jim Buss’ desire for Mike Brown."

http://sports.yahoo...._twolves_091211

Jimmy Buss is head of Lakers basketball operations. He has a hand in everything. With Dr. Buss unfortunately having been dying and now passed, Jim has the final say in every basketball move.

Drawbacks of being at the head is that every move's consequences, bad or good, is heading towards you. Can choose not to blame Jim, but who does that leave?

#12 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted April 30, 2013 - 03:02 PM

Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

#13 WWBD

WWBD

Rookie

• 96 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 03:50 PM

Haha, what is this, the love-for-Jimmy thread?  He is a media punching bag because he absolutely deserves to be.  Setting aside his ego and personal insecurities and hiring Phil would go a long way to proving that he has what it takes to lead this team into the next generation, but we all know he's too big of a baby to do that.

#14 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,769 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 04:25 PM

Dr. Jerry Bus wanted showtime back, read the reports and you'll find the truth. I'm sure his son was happy to oblige his father and thats why they got MDA. To compliment Steve Nash and bring showtime back. And boy did that ever fail. 

This is what he said earlier this season ..

However, Jim was responsible since last year, hope he can direct the team correctly this time.. 

#15 HQLLYWQQD

HQLLYWQQD

Rookie

• 397 posts
  • Name:Scott
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted April 30, 2013 - 06:09 PM

Personally, I think Jim catches too much flack. Admittedly, the hiring of MDT was a flop but he's still trying to make the moves and spend the money to make us winners. Hopefully, this off season we can turn the page.

#16 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 821 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 30, 2013 - 06:23 PM

Haha, what is this, the love-for-Jimmy thread?  He is a media punching bag because he absolutely deserves to be.  Setting aside his ego and personal insecurities and hiring Phil would go a long way to proving that he has what it takes to lead this team into the next generation, but we all know he's too big of a baby to do that.

Did you even read the article/other sources? It clearly says Jerry Buss (RIP) had a larger part in selecting MDA than he did. I could replace "Phil" with "Bynum" in your comment and it would have made sense two years ago. I'm not sure myself on Jim, but considering the moves that were made since his apparent rise to power, (CP3, D12, Nash) we could do a lot worse. It just hasn't worked out clearly in our favor yet.

#17 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,712 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted May 01, 2013 - 06:02 AM

Too much blame goes to Jim. I support him and the front office.

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#18 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,759 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted May 01, 2013 - 10:06 AM

Too much blame goes to Jim. I support him and the front office.

You must be a Clipper fan then.

#19 MetroGwapo

MetroGwapo

Rookie

• 21 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted May 01, 2013 - 04:40 PM

granted Dr. Buss may have wanted Showtime back as the reports allege after firing Mike Brown, but everyone and their grandmama can plainly see that this current roster doesn't have the legs to run Showtime. They didn't have to hire Phil Jackson, just a correct coach who can play this team to its strengths, but they hired a mismatched coach in D'Antoni anyway. As the head of the organization, the buck falls on Jim Buss.

Edited by MetroGwapo, May 01, 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#20 Wilt

Wilt

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • Fan Since:always
  • Fav. Laker:Wilt Chamberlain

Posted May 01, 2013 - 04:51 PM

I thought they put on a pretty good show. Not the kind they wanted maybe. More of a reality TV show.

But has there ever been a team with a bunch of new players including new starters, (2) new coaches, that went to the top? Even aside from all the injuries? I think the starters only played 7 games together total.

As far as I'm concerned, the fact they made the playoffs is a fantastic success.

I'm with Metta, Pao, Kobe, and anyone else who says they've got the pieces. They just need to be healthy and have some consistency in their line-up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users