• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7079 replies to this topic

#1941 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,314 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 29, 2013 - 04:59 PM

Update the title :pray:  Broussard is full of [expletive]. 

Edited by Chad, June 29, 2013 - 05:00 PM.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#1942 TXLaker24

TXLaker24

Rookie

• 69 posts
  • Name:Steven Kinner
  • Fan Since:1978-Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 29, 2013 - 05:00 PM

TXLaker24...Have you even SEEN the 2014 Free agent list or nah? http://www.hoopsworl...nba-free-agents

None of the players available are going to make LA a championship team as the best player. Even if Kobe plays as well as he did last year. They still arent coming close to winning a title. Are we forgetting this team when fully healthy in 2012 got washed by OKC? Completely washed.

I have seen the lists of free agents. I also know that opt outs will bring a couple guys into the fold. We have just as good a shot at those as anoyone. And I will absolutely keep the possibility of LBJ as a real one. There's also always the chance that early next season Pau plays well and his expiring contract can bring us pieces. And I'm sorry, you just don't tank when you have Kobe in the last few years of his career. Things always happen with the Lakers. I would honestly feel supremely confident, in the event that DH walks, in betting that we appear in the Finals before him. I mean that in all seriousness. This is not a franchise breaking event. Lets make our pitch, hope for the best, but, ultimately, we'll figure it out.

Edited by TXLaker24, June 29, 2013 - 05:05 PM.

#1943 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,683 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 29, 2013 - 05:03 PM

Dave McMenamin (@mcten)

A source close to Dwight tells me, "There is no frontrunner." He'll enter free agency process w/ an open mind http://t.co/fNWj6ZEQ6U

https://twitter.com/...135626944450560

We go from definite leave to Hou or DAL to now open mind entering FA

Story always changes to whatever it takes to get ratings.

That's why Broussard started back tracking a few days ago saying "Dwight 150% wants to leave! but um....he'd feel guilty about leaving LA and uh.... that could factor in..."

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#1944 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,478 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted June 29, 2013 - 05:03 PM

Broussard is garbage.

#1945 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,187 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted June 29, 2013 - 05:19 PM

Buuuuut his sources said that Dwight said that Drake talked to LeBron at the party. The sources MAANNN!!!! Lol
Posted Image

• 40,395 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 05:22 PM

nJjODAW.jpg

Edited by    , June 29, 2013 - 05:23 PM.

yo.

#1947 LAKing85

LAKing85

Rookie

• 444 posts
  • Fan Since:89'
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe "Black Mamba" Bryant

Posted June 29, 2013 - 05:22 PM

Broussard is garbage.

What do you guys expect? He's the new Ric Bucher of ESPN, since Bucher left somebody's gotta make up bull crap after bull crap to help get ratings. The only reliable sources in my opinion is Adrian Wojnorwoski from Yahoo sports, Dave McMenimen, John Ireland, etc. If they're not reporting it then I won't believe it. 

#1948 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,478 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted June 29, 2013 - 05:26 PM

Honestly I don't believe a word any east coast reporter says. I'll trust the guys that are actually in LA around the Lakers all the time.

#1949 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,922 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted June 29, 2013 - 05:27 PM

Obviously his back hasn't been a concern of theirs.  IIRC his back issue isnt a chronic one.

I'm not sure how obvious it is. They know things we don't know. If it is good, they know that. If not they know that too.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

• 40,395 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 05:28 PM

Problem is some of the guys in LA even sometimes have their own agenda. Fair & honest reporting is simply hard to come by these days. It's all about that quick buck. Whatever sells. Money over integrity.

yo.

#1951 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,922 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted June 29, 2013 - 05:42 PM

There is a lot of value in him staying period.  Im not sold on Dwight being some dominant Shaq type going forward either BUT he's the biggest asset in the league outside of Lebron and KD.  Teams will give up a load to get him.  Don't like where things are going in 2 years.  Trade him for a good package and picks.  Don't put so much stock in the coming cap space and free agencies without him on the team.  You can't simply rebuild via free agency.  Lakers have the 2014 pick and the rest are conditional based on team performance for the almost the rest of the decade.  Name 1 single player that the Lakers can build around available outside of Lebron that is available in 2014 or 2015? You think LA can pick back with Kevin Love? Rondo? Kevin Durant will be available after the 15-16 year (3 whole seasons from now).  So tell us how does the Lakers obtain an elite player unless they get bad enough to gain one via the draft?

Calm down. I didn't say it happens overnight. I just said it will happen.

My preference is to have Dwight next year. But it's silly to act like the Lakers can't rebuild just because they lose him.

If it takes time, it takes time. And if it is aided by a high daft pick, then that helps too.

The last two times the Lakers took a dip, it required significant draft picks to help lead the turnaround. (Van Exel and Jones in '93 and '94, Bryant in '96 and Bynum in '05). It isn't a crime for the Lakers to have a high (or effective) draft pick every once in a while.

The Lakers once turned Vlade Divac into Kobe.

They turned Andrew Bynum into Dwight Howard.

They turned Kwame Brown into Pau Gasol. (And if you want to include Marc Gasol - he was a second round pick of the Lakers).

They turned cap room into Shaquille O'Neal (and they haven't been under the cap since).

The opportunities are much less obvious to the casual fan than they are to league execs. It's not my job to rebuild the Lakers if Dwight walks, but I believe they can and will.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#1952 HQLLYWQQD

HQLLYWQQD

Rookie

• 394 posts
  • Name:Scott
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted June 29, 2013 - 06:59 PM

Fact: I hope he re-signs. <br /><br />I do hope we can keep him. He's a nice piece to work with going forward. And he fills a hard to find void at Center of decent big men. He is an enigmatic talent and a box office draw. <br /><br />Fact: We will be fine if he doesn't in time. <br /><br />I'm in the minority of fans that thinks this team needs to be redesigned from the ground up. <br /><br />Howard, while a nice piece is a long way from an instant championship contender with the current roster, lame head coach and the new CBA.<br /><br />And then there are the health concerns and those gawd awful free throws and an ego the size of the small town I grew up in. <br /><br />Fact: Either way this turns out you better have your nerves tucked in.<br /><br />This team is in for a decent amount of time in semi rebuild mode at best. If your used to the win all the time Lakers you may be in for a bit of a wait as presently constructed. Having Howard back would be nice but it's not going to spare us some significant bumps in the road. <br /><br />It's time to pay the piper... <br />

#1953 ALL CAPS

ALL CAPS

Rookie

• 129 posts
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted June 29, 2013 - 07:03 PM

its surprising how many laker fans want him gone

#1954 TXLaker24

TXLaker24

Rookie

• 69 posts
  • Name:Steven Kinner
  • Fan Since:1978-Birth!

Posted June 29, 2013 - 07:18 PM

its surprising how many laker fans want him gone

Not too many on here have said that. Most feel we'll be fine either way. I personally don't think he's right kind of guy to build around, but our FO wants him so I trust their judgement. I just know there is a certain competitive and mental toughness aspect that champions have. Typically, teams take on their leaders personality...that makes it hard for me to see Dwight as a team leader for an NBA champion. However, if we sign him, I'll give him a chance. I cheer for the name on the front, not the back.

Edited by TXLaker24, June 29, 2013 - 07:18 PM.

#1955 citr92

citr92

Rookie

• 447 posts
  • Name:Cody
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted June 29, 2013 - 07:18 PM

so if dwight doesn't sign with the lakers again....

#1956 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,623 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 29, 2013 - 07:34 PM

so if dwight doesn't sign with the lakers again....

he signed with us before lol

#1957 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,683 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 07:35 PM

1. Tried to get a break from free agency with a trip to the mall. Not so fast ... pic.twitter.com/6ADFnsSaa7

BN-fvIiCEAIc3L4.jpg

#1958 citr92

citr92

Rookie

• 447 posts
  • Name:Cody
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted June 29, 2013 - 08:01 PM

he signed with us before lol

i don't remember typing that "again" lol...woops

#1959 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 29, 2013 - 08:10 PM

So according to Woj! Houston are frontrunners and Lakers are second: 

http://sports.yahoo....-023015124.html

Laker fan for life.

#1960 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,683 posts

Posted June 29, 2013 - 08:14 PM

another important factoid from the above article

Although Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak has recently told D'Antoni that his job is secure, sources said, the fact that management hasn't allowed him to start hiring assistant coaches for a depleted staff has left many suspicious the Lakers are keeping the option of cutting ties with D'Antoni should it allow them to re-sign Howard.

I think that about shows the Lakers would pick Dwight over D'antoni if given the option.

Other than that the only thing in that article I don't agree with is saying that Dwight and Kobe have a poor relationship.  I think that was way overplayed in the media and Kobe and Dwight do talk and Dwight was there for Kobe during his process of being shelved and Kobe's love grew a lot for him that day.

I don't think Dwight would do that for someone he has a poor relationship with.   Just imo.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users