Dwightmare 2.0 Will he sign? Superman You cant leave us Dont do us dirty

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7079 replies to this topic

#1101 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Parasyte

• 8,699 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 03:02 PM

Lol after readings some of y'all's comments, y'all are crazy.

MMiRi9s.png

#1102 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 17, 2013 - 04:55 PM

If they really really did offer that thats actually more insulting than a real offer. If i was mitch I would have just hanged up and laughed. wtf!

Laker fan for life.

#1103 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,566 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 17, 2013 - 04:57 PM

If they really really did offer that thats actually more insulting than a real offer. If i was mitch I would have just hanged up and laughed. wtf!

if I was Mitch I'd laugh too.

Cause it means the Rockets are panicking.

They know that if they trade away all their depth to sign just Dwight or just CP3 that it wouldn't be enough to truly contend in the West.

So they are trying to get one via S&T and the fact they are offering the money to CP3 and trying to S&T for Howard I'm guessing that's their first choice(CP3).

Says a lot imo.

Edited by Majesty, June 17, 2013 - 04:57 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

• 40,431 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 07:46 PM

Metta World Peace Says Dwight Howard Won’t Leave Because He’s Got His Balls

“Well, he’s not going to Houston, I tell you that.”

“You know how those horses have those little things, ties in a bullfight, you tie those things to their balls and they go crazy? I’ve got two of those tied to Dwight Howard’s testicles, so he can’t move.”

“He can’t move,…If he does, it’ll be painful. So he can’t go nowhere.”

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

yo.

#1105 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted June 17, 2013 - 07:52 PM

Can somebody tell me the date when teams can amnesty a player? I'll be counting the days until then because I can't stand this clown.

#1106 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 07:58 PM

Over the last 24 hours, I've actually warmed up to a Griffin/Bledsoe TYPE deal, not just them two though.  While I still have concerns, this is my thinking - 

IF Dwight Howard does not want to be a Laker, I don't want him here. Simple as that.  I've stated that many times during this entire drama even before the Lakers acquired him.

If he wants to go to a franchise like the Clippers, so be it. While a potential lineup of Howard/Garnett/Pierce/CP3 will more than likely win a title in the next two seasons, we do need to look at the future of the Lakers. 

If D'Antoni is going forward as the coach, Griffin & Bledsoe are two players that fit in to his system and make our team younger and more athletic.  While I'm not sold on Griffin as a player, his contract helps the Lakers financial situation since he would be under contract for four seasons and would make less than Dwight would if he were to re-sign for the max, leaving us more flexibility in 2014. 

IF a deal were to take place, it has to be Griffin/Bledsoe/Crawford/1st rounder for Dwight.  Nothing less than that.  I think if the Clippers/Celtics deal goes through, the Clippers could be inclined to offer something like that.  I just don't think Griffin/Bledsoe is enough IMO. 

#1107 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,175 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:02 PM

Over the last 24 hours, I've actually warmed up to a Griffin/Bledsoe TYPE deal, not just them two though.  While I still have concerns, this is my thinking - 

IF Dwight Howard does not want to be a Laker, I don't want him here. Simple as that.  I've stated that many times during this entire drama even before the Lakers acquired him.

If he wants to go to a franchise like the Clippers, so be it. While a potential lineup of Howard/Garnett/Pierce/CP3 will more than likely win a title in the next two seasons, we do need to look at the future of the Lakers. 

If D'Antoni is going forward as the coach, Griffin & Bledsoe are two players that fit in to his system and make our team younger and more athletic.  While I'm not sold on Griffin as a player, his contract helps the Lakers financial situation since he would be under contract for four seasons and would make less than Dwight would if he were to re-sign for the max, leaving us more flexibility in 2014. 

IF a deal were to take place, it has to be Griffin/Bledsoe/Crawford/1st rounder for Dwight.  Nothing less than that.  I think if the Clippers/Celtics deal goes through, the Clippers could be inclined to offer something like that.  I just don't think Griffin/Bledsoe is enough IMO. 

You really think the Lakers would be willing to deal the best center to their cross-town rival who may very well have high chances of winning a title with that line-up and Rivers as coach?

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#1108 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,566 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:04 PM

Yeah, I agree with West Coast, I don't think we'd ever send Dwight to the Clippers.  But if we had to, I'd say take all their depth too.

Bledsoe, Griffin, Crawford, 1st round pick sounds about right.     Though I'd probably ask for Butler too. 

Well the first thing I'd ask for is Chris Paul actually :laughing: 

Don't think we'll do the deal.

But I agree, Griffin and Bledsoe ain't close to being enough. 

Edited by Majesty, June 17, 2013 - 08:05 PM.

#1109 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,536 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:08 PM

Bledsoe, Griffin, Crawford, Butler for Howard, Duhon, and Ebanks.

Nash, Kobe, Butler, Griffin, Gasol

Steve Blake, Jamal Crawford, Earl Clark, Jordan Hill, Robert Sacre.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#1110 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:10 PM

You really think the Lakers would be willing to deal the best center to their cross-town rival who may very well have high chances of winning a title with that line-up and Rivers as coach?

While I would love to believe that they wouldn't, you have to look at who our coach is.  An offer that includes Griffin/Bledsoe fits what D'Antoni wants.  Not only does that type of trade get rid of a player that wants to play in the post, something D'Antoni HATES, he brings in a player like Blake Griffin who can play center in his "small" system. 

D'Antoni hates having size in his lineup, he'd rather go small, get up and down the court, and shoot threes all game. 

The Lakers #1 priority will be to re-sign Dwight.  But if he tells Lakers management that he won't re-sign when July 1st comes around, do you S&T for the best available package which will include Griffin/Bledsoe or do you let him walk for nothing?

These are tough decisions to make. I'm trying to look at the positives in any deal.  I hate the prospect of sending Dwight to the Clippers to play with CP3 and KG.  Absolutely HATE it.

When you take out the "rivalry" aspect (which it's not btw), you have to make the best move for your franchise moving forward. IF Dwight doesn't want to be here, what do you do if you have that offer on the table?  You don't do business based off ego, you do what's best at that moment.  

#1111 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:12 PM

Bledsoe, Griffin, Crawford, Butler for Howard, Duhon, and Ebanks.

Nash, Kobe, Butler, Griffin, Gasol

Steve Blake, Jamal Crawford, Earl Clark, Jordan Hill, Robert Sacre.

Lakers won't take back Butler because of his contract and even if he was cheap, he's no better than Metta IMO. 

If Lakers were to do a deal with the Clippers (and I highly stress IF), there would be other moves made which would probably include Gasol and signing a couple other players for cheap. 

We need to get draft picks for next years draft too

#1112 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,175 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:12 PM

If we want to make a splash in 2014 a sign a potential star-player (Take LeBron for example), Mike D'Antoni needs to go. When players sign with teams, they do not just look at the money presented, but they want to know what their role will be and how the coach can maximize his talents and incorporate him into his system. Mike D'antoni fails at every aspect in coaching.

Assume we bring in Phil for 2 years with a promise of him having a front-office position after he is done coaching. Phil can actually tell LeBron straight up, "I've coach Pippen, Bryant, O'Neal, and the player you are most compared to, Jordan. I know how to win with stars. Look at what I did with Jordan and Bryant. I tweaked the system so they can play to their strengths. if you want to win and reach the next level, come here and let me coach you."

What other coach can say this? No one. We need Phil.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#1113 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,566 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:13 PM

No, I think they'd let him walk to a depleted Houston team that would be a first round exit considering them having no more depth left over or CBA space and move forward with their 2014 plans. .

But you'd have to entertain all aspects instead of the one most likely to happen sometimes.

#1114 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:17 PM

If we want to make a splash in 2014 a sign a potential star-player (Take LeBron for example), Mike D'Antoni needs to go. When players sign with teams, they do not just look at the money presented, but they want to know what their role will be and how the coach can maximize his talents and incorporate him into his system. Mike D'antoni fails at every aspect in coaching.

Assume we bring in Phil for 2 years with a promise of him having a front-office position after he is done coaching. Phil can actually tell LeBron straight up, "I've coach Pippen, Bryant, O'Neal, and the player you are most compared to, Jordan. I know how to win with stars. Look at what I did with Jordan and Bryant. I tweaked the system so they can play to their strengths. if you want to win and reach the next level, come here and let me coach you."

What other coach can say this? No one. We need Phil.

You're preaching to the choir my man. 

My scenario is stating that D'Antoni remains coach and Dwight Howard tells the Lakers front office that he will NOT re-sign with the team. 

Essentially the worst case scenario for this team.  Do you make a deal at that time? Or do you let Dwight walk?  Let's face it, 2014 free agency isn't exactly a class that outside of LeBron, you can bring to the team and we become contenders over night if you don't have Dwight Howard in place. 

• 40,431 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:18 PM

IF Dwight Howard does not want to be a Laker, I don't want him here. Simple as that.

But do you blame him though honestly? I mean how can you even be mad at him? Mike D'Antoni is against post play and defense, Dwight's two greatest strengths.

yo.

#1116 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,175 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:20 PM

While I would love to believe that they wouldn't, you have to look at who our coach is.  An offer that includes Griffin/Bledsoe fits what D'Antoni wants.  Not only does that type of trade get rid of a player that wants to play in the post, something D'Antoni HATES, he brings in a player like Blake Griffin who can play center in his "small" system. 

D'Antoni hates having size in his lineup, he'd rather go small, get up and down the court, and shoot threes all game. 

The Lakers #1 priority will be to re-sign Dwight.  But if he tells Lakers management that he won't re-sign when July 1st comes around, do you S&T for the best available package which will include Griffin/Bledsoe or do you let him walk for nothing?

These are tough decisions to make. I'm trying to look at the positives in any deal.  I hate the prospect of sending Dwight to the Clippers to play with CP3 and KG.  Absolutely HATE it.

When you take out the "rivalry" aspect (which it's not btw), you have to make the best move for your franchise moving forward. IF Dwight doesn't want to be here, what do you do if you have that offer on the table?  You don't do business based off ego, you do what's best at that moment.  

You play hardball with him. That is what you do.

If this Celtics-Clippers trade goes down, Chris Paul is likely to re-sign with the Clippers. Immediately, Atlanta is not an option for Dwight if Paul re-signs with the Clippers. Who's next, the Mavericks? What do they have? An aging Dirk? Cross out Dallas off the list. Houston? Ok. They are are only competition. But we can offer more money and Dwight loves Hollywood.

He can request a sign-and-trade all he wants, but if you are the Lakers, just play hardball with him. He cannot outright sign with the Clippers. They are not financially fit to sign him. He has to where to go. Lakers are going to be his only good option. 

Edited by Admiral General Aladeen, June 17, 2013 - 08:20 PM.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#1117 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,158 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:25 PM

would you guys prefer Dwight just walk or a s&t for bg & Bledsoe? Yeah Blake is not fully developed as a complete player but that's a package the lakers may have to consider

#1118 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:25 PM

But do you blame him though honestly? I mean how can you even be mad at him? Mike D'Antoni is against post play and defense, Dwight's two greatest strengths.

Here's the thing, I don't blame him based on the current situation. It's not a positive for him. 

BUT Dwight Howard still has not shown me that he respects what the Los Angeles Lakers organization is all about.  This is where big men DREAM of playing because of the history.  Players come here, they don't run away because of a situation. Players become legends here. 

Regardless of the reason, if he doesn't want to be here, then I don't want him here.

#1119 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,566 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:27 PM

Dwight's greatest strength is not his post play to an extent.

In fact, him going to the post and not high screening with Nash very often did cause some determent for the team.

Dwight can play the post effectively when the spacing(something D'antoni knows nothing about) is correct, but even in Orlando when the spacing was perfect his effectiveness came from passing from the post and off the pick and roll.

Dwight Howard is not a perfect player, and his imperfections make it stunning that so many experts seem to think he was mis-utilized because the Lakers didn't dump the ball down to him in the post enough last year. If anything, the Lakers dumped the ball into Dwight in the post way too much. Dwight Howard's post game is not, in any way, under any circumstances, something that should be considered a strength. Last year, for example, he averaged just .74 points per possession(PPP) in post up play, ranking 121st in the league. 121st!!! That means that every team in the NBA had, on average, FOUR players more adept at turning post up possessions into points than Dwight Howard. But Dwight Howard was recovering from back surgery, you say? Even at the height of his powers, Dwight was never all that good as a post up player. In 2009-2010, he ranked 67th in post up play. The following year, he was 56th. Even when he was one of the kings of the NBA, Dwight Howard has always been an amazing player in spite of his post game, not because of it. And, with a solid decade in the NBA under his belt, it would be incredibly foolish to expect Dwight to improve significantly from this point forward. Dwight Howard is what he is, and being a strong post-up player is just not a club in his bag.

Guess what Dwight Howard IS good at offensively? Being the roll man in the pick and roll. In the three years prior to his back surgery, Dwight ranked 1st, 1st and 2nd in the league in PPP as the roll man in the pick and roll. I'm not a mathematician or anything, but that sounds a hell of a lot better than what he was doing in the post. Last year, his roll game, like everything else, declined rather drastically as his league rank fell all the way to ... 8th. That's right, even as Dwight's game was nearly unrecognizable for much of the year, even as he struggled and labored up and down the court, he was STILL a top ten roll man in the league.

A lot of the reason as to why we were so screwed was D'antoni not understanding spacing, Gasol occasionally messing up plays unintentionally leading to Dwight because of lack of familiarity with Dwight(which was there at the end of the season) and Dwight himself wanting to show he was more than a pick and roll guy and trying to post up as a main option which has never been his greatest strength and unfortunately SOME of that blame also has to go on Dwight.

What we need next year is proper post spacing, and we also need Dwight to be more willing to play pick and roll to his strengths and getting him the ball in the post after he seals his man instead of dumping it to him in the post off of broken plays.    The turnovers in the post he had last year had to do with spacing issues along with rustiness and I honestly would have loved to see him go pick and roll more often.     But he didn't want to run that primarily.

And I think a huge reason that Dwight wanted to be in the post so much instead of pick and rolling which was his strength whether it be with Kobe or Nash was because of his back injury.   One of the best things that made Dwight such a great roll man was his ability to roll to the basket quickly and to have the timing and leaping ability to get the pass or be ready for it. 

When rusty and recovering and with a low stamina, it would conserve more energy and rely more on his timing and athleticism being the roll man than trying to sit in the post.   

if Dwight re-signs here for next year I expect him to pick and roll more often because his timing athleticism and health will be back to where itn eeds to be where he can run pick and roll consistently without getting tired.

Remember it took Dwight a while to get all the way back, the first season game with us when we found him for a perfect dunk he could barely get to the rim and missed it..

He won't be that same guy at the beginning of next year.

Edited by Majesty, June 17, 2013 - 08:29 PM.

#1120 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,301 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:28 PM

Over the last 24 hours, I've actually warmed up to a Griffin/Bledsoe TYPE deal, not just them two though. While I still have concerns, this is my thinking -

IF Dwight Howard does not want to be a Laker, I don't want him here. Simple as that. I've stated that many times during this entire drama even before the Lakers acquired him.

If D'Antoni is going forward as the coach, Griffin & Bledsoe are two players that fit in to his system and make our team younger and more athletic. While I'm not sold on Griffin as a player, his contract helps the Lakers financial situation since he would be under contract for four seasons and would make less than Dwight would if he were to re-sign for the max, leaving us more flexibility in 2014.

IF a deal were to take place, it has to be Griffin/Bledsoe/Crawford/1st rounder for Dwight. Nothing less than that. I think if the Clippers/Celtics deal goes through, the Clippers could be inclined to offer something like that. I just don't think Griffin/Bledsoe is enough IMO.

It's nice to see you've come around.. almost.

IF something like that goes down I'm still not keeping Griffin, maybe not even Crawford. I'd keep Bledsoe though. Griffin could fetch a good haul in a trade. High draft picks, young prospects, even a quality starter on a good contract. I wouldn't acquire players to accommodate MD and his system. Even if he lasts the season, he's just a band aid, his days are numbered.

I'd keep Bledsoe and the draft picks, I'd trade everyone else. Griffin and Crawford would fetch a pretty penny.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users