• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7079 replies to this topic

#941 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,372 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 10:56 AM

Of course.

But he doesn't get you Chris Paul, so it's irrelevant to make that move.

I was saying if somehow money wasn't an issue could you not sign CP3 and just pay a [expletive] load of luxury taxes? I want to reiterate  I know that has like 0% chance of happening. I'm just curious if it's allowed is all.

#942 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 14, 2013 - 11:00 AM

Not a CBA/cap expert whatsoever.  I know enough to be dangerous, but I believe they could.

#943 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,333 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 14, 2013 - 11:01 AM

I was saying if somehow money wasn't an issue could you not sign CP3 and just pay a [expletive] load of luxury taxes? I want to reiterate I know that has like 0% chance of happening. I'm just curious if it's allowed is all.

It's not allowed. It's not a cap like in MLB.

#944 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,262 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 14, 2013 - 11:02 AM

It's funny cause we had this set-up already. 

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#945 SuPeRmAoR

SuPeRmAoR

TLN's ballerist

• 2,476 posts
  • Name:Maor
  • Fan Since:4 years old
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted June 14, 2013 - 11:20 AM

If I'm reading and understanding this correctly,

"Starting in 2013-14, teams above the apron cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade transaction."

Technically we are still in the 2012-13 offseason, which is good news and bad news for us, it means we can sign and trade dwight to a place he chooses, or it also means we can recieve chris paul in a sign and trade deal, something around Pau i assume

jpg2mw.jpg

"Dante Exum will be an NBA All Star by the 2018 NBA Season" - Supermaor23 3/10/14

#946 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,262 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 11:24 AM

Howard has previously been clear that he doesn't want to go back to his hometown of Atlanta. But if it means pairing with fellow impending free agent Paul, he'll do it. Still, all this looks like a pipe dream. Paul is very likely to re-sign with the Clippers and then try to lure Howard there. The problem is that the salary numbers just don't work. 

Edited by Chad, June 14, 2013 - 11:25 AM.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#947 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,456 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted June 14, 2013 - 11:39 AM

If I'm reading and understanding this correctly,

Technically we are still in the 2012-13 offseason, which is good news and bad news for us, it means we can sign and trade dwight to a place he chooses, or it also means we can recieve chris paul in a sign and trade deal, something around Pau i assume

? i don't think its like that

anyone wanna confirm

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

• 40,365 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 11:40 AM

MDA is killing everything. Damn Lakers.

yo.

#949 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,035 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted June 14, 2013 - 11:45 AM

Until the Lakers realized that the problem is Mike D Antoni and no great players in the NBA are willing to play for MDA, why would any player would want to play for the lakers?  MDA is the reason why no superstars see the Lakers as a good place to play.  IT is so clear. For the life of me I dont understand why Jim Buss couldn't see that. 

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#950 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,038 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:05 PM

Just a little over 2 weeks until July 1.

I'm holding out hope that the Lakers are making all of their moves to try to keep Dwight here contingent on him staying here, which he does after experiencing FA. I think that's our only hope now. They would've fired MDA by now if they wanted to without influence, and I don't think the Lakers want to take in any salary if they are going to have to rebuild.

Posted Image

#951 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:13 PM

- Sign Chris Paul for 3 million tell him "under the table" well sign him to the max next year lololol

- Fire MDA

- Hire Phil Jackson

- Win 2014 NBA championship

PERFECT YEAR.. Okay ill stop now  :o)

Laker fan for life.

#952 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,746 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:20 PM

We can't sign and trade Dwight, OP. And unfortunately (as you know) option 4 is completely unlikely.

We can sign and trade anyone we want to any year.  Next year, if we are above a certain lux tax threshold, we won't be able to RECEIVE a player who is being signed and traded...  Big difference.

Edited by GCMD, June 14, 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#953 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,746 posts

We can't sign and trade because we are over the cap. I put it like this if he wants to leave and ride CP3 or Hardens coattail then let him. But even if we could I would much rather let him walk then take Blake Griffin.

See above...

We can sign and trade Dwight...it would have been absolutely STUPID to trade for him knowing he was going into free agency if we COULDN'T get something for him in return if he decided not to stay.

#954 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,746 posts

If the Lakers are smart, they would do a sign in trade with Dwight to the Warriors and get Clay Thompson who grew up as a Laker fan if D12 wants to leave. The only problem is D12 probably dont want to go to Golden State so Lakers can't do the trade. We can only do a trade if D12 willing to go to that destination.

Klay Thompson?  LOL...happy hour started early over there in Cali?

#955 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,372 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:32 PM

We can sign and trade anyone we want to any year.  Next year, if we are above a certain lux tax threshold, we won't be able to RECEIVE a player who is being signed and traded...  Big difference.

Huge difference. Thanks for clarifying.

• 40,365 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:43 PM

I would love Klay here, but Klay alone would not be enough and I want no part of a package of him with Bogut or Jefferson. Have to get better than that and regardless, I'm not even that certain GS would be willing to consider parting with Klay.

yo.

#957 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,432 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:45 PM

The obsession these guys have with some of the young guys on other teams is weird lol.  Klay is a nice talent and great shooter.  Not sure if I'd trade Dwight to a team thats a big man away from winning it all.  They may already be there depending on if Bogut can return to his 2010 or so play. 

Klay Thompson?  LOL...happy hour started early over there in Cali?

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#958 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,455 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:46 PM

Well it's inevitably I think Dwight will leave this team and Jim and MDA have single handily killed this team

Posted Image

#959 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,309 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:54 PM

All of you that act as if every FA is crazy not to come to LA have no clue. Did Garnett come here? How about Bosh? What about Mello? All of TLN wanted these guys to sign. And then the tune changes when they go elsewhere. Other than D12 for a single season name me a major FA signing since Shaq almost 18 years ago. A declining Ron Arrest? Pau was a trade. Nash a trade. Jamison....lol. If LA is simply irresistible because of the legacy why have so many FA's switched teams and pass on LAs offers? I don't think that vast majority of modern players GAF about a legacy.

#960 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,020 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 01:04 PM

All of you that act as if every FA is crazy not to come to LA have no clue. Did Garnett come here? How about Bosh? What about Mello? All of TLN wanted these guys to sign. And then the tune changes when they go elsewhere. Other than D12 for a single season name me a major FA signing since Shaq almost 18 years ago. A declining Ron Arrest? Pau was a trade. Nash a trade. Jamison....lol. If LA is simply irresistible because of the legacy why have so many FA's switched teams and pass on LAs offers? I don't think that vast majority of modern players GAF about a legacy.

Melo was a trade. He wanted New York because he grew up there.

Garnett was a trade. Not sure on the whole story, but I think the Lakers were reluctant to give up both Odom and Bynum ( or that was for J. O'Neal ).

The Lakers were never interested in Bosh. Long time ago, there was a rumor that the Lakers were willing to trade Bynum for Bosh. That obviously was not true. And why would we go after him when we just came off a repeat?

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)