7079 replies to this topic

#61 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 02, 2013 - 09:38 AM

Dwight averaged 17/15 in march...

Ladies and gentleman, you just witnessed what is to come in the Dwight Era. No kobe. This was Dwight's opportunity to show us what our future looked like. We didn't win one game in the playoffs, not one. Heck we didn't even have a chance in any of them.

I would agree with you but it's very difficult to ignore the injury issues we had going into the playoffs, much less actually in the playoffs.  No Kobe, Metta on one leg, and someone who I think was Steve Nash.  Then you had Blake not playing very well, Jamison who was non-existent, Earl Clark still being inconsistent, etc.  

It's very difficult to put it all on Dwight.  Popovich knew he could focus his defensive game plan on Dwight and that's what he did.  There were games Dwight should have played better but Popovich worried about no one on the Lakers except Dwight. 

In the last 23 games of the season, Dwight scored 20 or more points 13 times. In 17 games he scored 15 or more points.  

Don't get me wrong, Dwight needs work on his offensive game.  If anyone expects him to average 25 a game in any season moving forward, I wouldn't count on that.  He'll always be around 20-23 a game when he's healthy.  He's not a dominant offensive center, but he's not a terrible offensive one either.  The days of dominant centers are gone, once fans realize that it will be better.  

Although he touched the ball a lot this year, he still didn't have many shot attempts total this year.  He ended up with 813 FGA on the year.  Kobe Bryant was the first on the team (and in the league) with 1595.  Guess who was second on our team? Hint: it wasn't Dwight Howard........

Metta World Peace with 824 FGA.  

Dwight Howard needs to be a 20/15 guy for us.  That's it.  In 2014, either add another scorer or a playmaking point guard that plays defense and we'll be solid. The key is to start adding in cheap pieces now because free agency is never a given.  The ultimate prize is LeBron.  Will that happen? I don't think so but its fun to think about because he's exactly what I said above, just rolled into a 6'8 frame. 

Dwight needs a second guy with him and he'll get that eventually.  It's not needed next year but in 2014, it will be necessary to get that other guy. 

#62 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,544 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 02, 2013 - 09:41 AM

Dwight averaged 17/15 in march...

Ladies and gentleman, you just witnessed what is to come in the Dwight Era. No kobe. This was Dwight's opportunity to show us what our future looked like. We didn't win one game in the playoffs, not one. Heck we didn't even have a chance in any of them.

So were you saying the exact same thing when Kobe didn't get us into the playoffs after Shaq left?

#63 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,102 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 02, 2013 - 10:02 AM

We didn't win a single game because we were playing a team that will be in the finals and we were not even as good as Utah

dwight and Pau and whomever

Vs Utah's frontline plus Hayward,mo Williams and Foye... I'll take Utah over the team we finished the playoffs with.

#64 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,324 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted May 02, 2013 - 12:13 PM

So were you saying the exact same thing when Kobe didn't get us into the playoffs after Shaq left?

Thats why management will find a co-star to pair with Dwight.

#65 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,733 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted May 03, 2013 - 12:02 PM

The question is: will he ever improve his offensive game? His repertoire of skills and post moves is just atrocious. If we are going to rely on him long-term, he must develop some effective post moves and definitely improve his terrible FT shooting. 

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#66 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted May 03, 2013 - 12:39 PM

The question is: will he ever improve his offensive game? His repertoire of skills and post moves is just atrocious. If we are going to rely on him long-term, he must develop some effective post moves and definitely improve his terrible FT shooting.

Of course he can improve, why couldn't he?

People forget that he couldn't work on his game at all this past offseason.

He gets a lot of easy basket attempts because of his athleticism, his biggest issue is his lack of touch around the rim.

His offensive game is terrible. It's definitely not elite, but its not terrible. He has an average offensive game. If he can add a couple moves to arsenal and have solid touch around the rim, he'll be just fine offensively.

#67 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,552 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted May 04, 2013 - 08:59 AM

Harden Plans To Recruit Free Agents For Rockets
May 04, 2013 10:51 AM EDT

Harden_James_hou_130427.jpg

James Harden plans to be an active member of the Houston Rockets' recruiting efforts this summer.

"Hell, yeah," Harden said. "There's a lot of good options out there."

Asked specifically about the Los Angeles Lakers' Dwight Howard, Harden broke into a smile and added: "Maybe. Possibly."

The Rockets will have max-level cap space to utilize this summer.

via realgm

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#68 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,232 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted May 04, 2013 - 10:54 AM

Houston is the only team that I'm afraid of for Dwight signing there.. 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#69 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,584 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 04, 2013 - 11:49 AM

wonder how Asik feels, especially after his hard season.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#70 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,348 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 11:11 AM

I know that it's about 99% that "Antoni" will be back to coach next year, but I just can't help but feeling helpless about the whole situation. It feels like we are not only forfeiting any remote chance we have at winning a championship, but are also crushing our franchise by FORCING Dwight's hand to have him sign with Houston (since he won't want to advise us on coaching decisions, and since Mitch won't listen to him).

The worse part is that Dwight will play at an extremely high level, like he was playing towards the end of the year! This year will end up being a tune up for him! People will say that he didn't play like that because of the coach (which is partially true) and because of Kobe taking all of the shots, rather than him just being healthy and in shape.

Edited by leor_77, May 06, 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#71 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,544 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 06, 2013 - 01:58 PM

I know that it's about 99% that "Antoni" will be back to coach next year, but I just can't help but feeling helpless about the whole situation. It feels like we are not only forfeiting any remote chance we have at winning a championship, but are also crushing our franchise by FORCING Dwight's hand to have him sign with Houston (since he won't want to advise us on coaching decisions, and since Mitch won't listen to him).

The worse part is that Dwight will play at an extremely high level, like he was playing towards the end of the year! This year will end up being a tune up for him! People will say that he didn't play like that because of the coach (which is partially true) and because of Kobe taking all of the shots, rather than him just being healthy and in shape.

if Dwight says its me or MDA. They will choose Dwight in a second, Mitch isn't dumb.

#72 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,432 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 06, 2013 - 06:04 PM

Mitch wants a statue of Dwight outside Staples Center. D'Antoni won't even get a statue outside of your local Staples. No chance D'Antoni comes before Dwight.

My theory: Mitch wants to keep his options open. If for some reason Dwight does not re-sign and they trade/amnesty Pau, they will need to rely on a smaller, more perimeter based offensive game. In this case, D'Antoni's offense would fit that. If a coaching change is to be made, I don't expect one until a decision is made with Dwight.

#73 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,573 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 09:16 PM

if Dwight says its me or MDA. They will choose Dwight in a second, Mitch isn't dumb.

I think that is what we all are hoping for. It's just weird that MDA bought a house in LA if he thought there was a chance that he'd get fired.

#74 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,432 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted May 06, 2013 - 09:26 PM

I think that is what we all are hoping for. It's just weird that MDA bought a house in LA if he thought there was a chance that he'd get fired.

When you make millions of dollars, that is what you do: buy houses. As a coach, you always have to assume that you will return. Worst-case scenario is that he has a house in Manhattan Beach. Not too shabby.

#75 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,573 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 09:44 PM

When you make millions of dollars, that is what you do: buy houses. As a coach, you always have to assume that you will return. Worst-case scenario is that he has a house in Manhattan Beach. Not too shabby.

I guess you could be right. I know if I was a millionaire, i'd be bying a house at Manhatten Beach.

However, if I had any doubt about whether i would be coaching next year or not, i'd probably wait two months before i bought the house.

#76 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,354 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 10:45 PM

@JRudolphSports on if Dwight doesn't return to #Lakers (w/o hesitation): He'll end up with #Rockets--"I'll put the house on Houston"

┬íHala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#77 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,239 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted May 07, 2013 - 04:59 AM

@JRudolphSports on if Dwight doesn't return to #Lakers (w/o hesitation): He'll end up with #Rockets--"I'll put the house on Houston"

and thats news.lol. What other team other than the lakers would he go to. 

#78 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,573 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 09:38 AM

and thats news.lol. What other team other than the lakers would he go to. 

Dallas, Atlanta, Clippers. 

I think he ends up a Laker. He likes LA and he likes money and his recent injury may push in the direction of getting the maximum amount of money. Also, there is actually less pressure in LA. If he signs here, i think people wouldn't necessarily expect a championship next year and regardless of how next season pans out there is the opportunity to sign 1 MAX FA (of his choice?) in the offseason. 

If push comes to shove Dwight can even pick his coach. 

I can see the lure of Lin and Harden and a lot of young talent in Houston, but from now and 5 years ahead, i think there is a much greater chance of promoting his brand and playing his style of basketball, if he stays in LA. 

[expletive] Houston. 

#79 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,399 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted May 07, 2013 - 09:40 AM

I wouldn't be surprised or I wouldn't even be mad if he goes to Houston.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#80 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,113 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted May 07, 2013 - 09:42 AM

If MDA is still the coach then he should leave

Pau Gasol is GONE

1 user(s) are reading this topic