7079 replies to this topic

#441 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,039 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:27 PM

The back and forth I had with Lakers4life does take me back though.

I thought the Lakers should've traded Pau before the beginning of this season to try and get something in place for the future. They weren't going to have what Houston has right now, but I think the combination of having something in place plus future flexibility would have been more appealing than just future flexibility. They could've also used the draft picks they traded for Nash.

But hey, too late now.

Posted Image

#442 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,927 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:30 PM

The back and forth I had with Lakers4life does take me back though.

I thought the Lakers should've traded Pau before the beginning of this season to try and get something in place for the future. They weren't going to have what Houston has right now, but I think the combination of having something in place plus future flexibility would have been more appealing than just future flexibility. They could've also used the draft picks they traded for Nash.

But hey, too late now.

Unfortunately we "believed"

We "believed" In Pau after the Olympics performance... and Nash wanted to desperately play with him.  Or we'd have had Josh Smith.

We "believed" in Devin Ebanks, so we passed on Martell Webster and CDR...

Sad sad actually.

And agreed, too late now.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#443 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,474 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted May 22, 2013 - 08:01 PM

lol shutup with the Ebanks vs martell Webster [expletive]. Martell just had his "breakout" season and that was on a [expletive]ty wizards team

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#444 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,003 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted May 22, 2013 - 08:03 PM

I really wonder what some people are thinking when it comes to keeping trash like Pau Gasol and Mike D'Antoni. There's absolutely NOTHING positive about keeping either of those legal thieves.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#445 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,027 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 08:04 PM

lol shutup with the Ebanks vs martell Webster [expletive]. Martell just had his "breakout" season and that was on a [expletive]ty wizards team

Wait, are you supporting Ebanks? 

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#446 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,927 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 08:05 PM

We should have picked up Webster the moment the Timberwolves waived him. 

It doesn't matter what team he was on he was 5th in the NBA in 3 point shooting, one of the top 5 in efficiency that wasn't a big man and had the season of his life he "could" have had here. 

What did Ebanks do aside from score 13 inside Madison Square Garden, be the guy that showed up the least in practice and worked on his game the least, get in trouble with the law and focus more on his rap career than being a player trying to have a breakout season after being held on to for 3 years on potential?

I take Webster over Ebanks in a heartbeat, even the "unrefined game but loads of potential in Portland" version.

Edited by Majesty, May 22, 2013 - 08:06 PM.

#447 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 876 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 23, 2013 - 01:01 AM

Dwight to Houston is a great fit. They have a coach who will use him properly, he can form a 1-2 punch with an elite perimeter player in fellow All Star Harden, while they also have some good young talent as well. Also Dwight can be the veteran leader and have the offense run through him which both seem important to him. They also have better options to improve their team currently. They have a nice trade chip in Asik who could get them another piece or pieces if they choose. They also have the ability to S&T him and also have the full MLE to use. Obviously a team with Dwight and Harden will also likely attract some veteran players for cheap possibly. Overall Houston offer a compelling case for enticing Dwight to their organization. They tick a lot of boxes if I was him. Now what do the Lakers offer him? That's the question. Obviously we offer the most money but as some have mentioned it won't be as much due to the tax situation in Texas. We offer him a big market place and the Hollywood lifestyle to ply his talent. Not only on the court, but off it as well with endorsements, commercials, movies etc. We give him the opportunity to be the next face of the greatest franchise in NBA history and the chance to follow in the footsteps of all the great big men and players. Does he want that pressure or does he even care about the proud history of the Lakers? We will find out soon I guess. One of the most important things we offer him is the ability to play for an organization that sets high standards and will spend money if they believe it will allow them to be a top contender. Obviously that blew up in our face this year but look at OKC. They gave up Harden as they didn't want the financial implications. I believe it could cost them winning a championship over the next few years. I understand the new CBA affects how teams will spend now. While I don't see us having a team salary like this for a while after this year, I would hope that the Busses would go a bit over the luxury tax(10 mill max)in the future if we need to, in order to win more titles. I do believe the new CBA will require a little more focus on the draft for us though. Anyway back to the point. Other than trading Pau for a solid player/s and draft picks or a lucky pipe dream trade we can't improve our team too drastically. We can hold on to him and just add a few new role players with our MMLE and Vet Min but thats not more exciting either. We basically have to sell Dwight on the idea of waiting a year till we have cap space and can build a team for the future around him. One of the other main factors in Dwight remaining a Laker is the DAntoni factor. We all know that this could play a big part in his choice as well. A lot for Dwight to weigh up till July 1st. I haven't even mentioned other possibilities like Atlanta and Dallas. I personally
hope he stays but cant blame him choosing Houston for the reasons mentioned. Sorry for the long post and I guess most of this has been said already. Just wanted to give my personal views on the matter guys cheers.

#448 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,927 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 01:14 AM

Dwight to Houston is a great fit. They have a coach who will use him properly, he can form a 1-2 punch with an elite perimeter player in fellow All Star Harden, while they also have some good young talent as well. Also Dwight can be the veteran leader and have the offense run through him which both seem important to him. They also have better options to improve their team currently. They have a nice trade chip in Asik who could get them another piece or pieces if they choose. They also have the ability to S&T him and also have the full MLE to use. Obviously a team with Dwight and Harden will also likely attract some veteran players for cheap possibly. Overall Houston offer a compelling case for enticing Dwight to their organization. They tick a lot of boxes if I was him. Now what do the Lakers offer him? That's the question. Obviously we offer the most money but as some have mentioned it won't be as much due to the tax situation in Texas. We offer him a big market place and the Hollywood lifestyle to ply his talent. Not only on the court, but off it as well with endorsements, commercials, movies etc. We give him the opportunity to be the next face of the greatest franchise in NBA history and the chance to follow in the footsteps of all the great big men and players. Does he want that pressure or does he even care about the proud history of the Lakers? We will find out soon I guess. One of the most important things we offer him is the ability to play for an organization that sets high standards and will spend money if they believe it will allow them to be a top contender. Obviously that blew up in our face this year but look at OKC. They gave up Harden as they didn't want the financial implications. I believe it could cost them winning a championship over the next few years. I understand the new CBA affects how teams will spend now. While I don't see us having a team salary like this for a while after this year, I would hope that the Busses would go a bit over the luxury tax(10 mill max)in the future if we need to, in order to win more titles. I do believe the new CBA will require a little more focus on the draft for us though. Anyway back to the point. Other than trading Pau for a solid player/s and draft picks or a lucky pipe dream trade we can't improve our team too drastically. We can hold on to him and just add a few new role players with our MMLE and Vet Min but thats not more exciting either. We basically have to sell Dwight on the idea of waiting a year till we have cap space and can build a team for the future around him. One of the other main factors in Dwight remaining a Laker is the DAntoni factor. We all know that this could play a big part in his choice as well. A lot for Dwight to weigh up till July 1st. I haven't even mentioned other possibilities like Atlanta and Dallas. I personally
hope he stays but cant blame him choosing Houston for the reasons mentioned. Sorry for the long post and I guess most of this has been said already. Just wanted to give my personal views on the matter guys cheers.

Great post.

Imo, the most important thing is that in 2014 if they have Dwight the Lakers are primed to make a move that will keep them in championship contention for 3 or 4 of the next 5 years in free agency.

No other team can make that boast.   Most other teams(including the Rockets) will be in "stuck" mode after the first year.

Edited by Majesty, May 23, 2013 - 01:14 AM.

#449 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 876 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted May 23, 2013 - 03:20 AM

Great post.

Imo, the most important thing is that in 2014 if they have Dwight the Lakers are primed to make
a move that will keep them in championship contention for 3 or 4 of the next 5 years in free agency.

No other team can make that boast. Most other
teams(including the Rockets) will be in "stuck" mode after the first year.

Cheers Majesty. Yeah the importance of resigning Dwight is huge obviously. We remain a contender if he returns. If he doesnt our immediate future is unknown. Having that franchise player in Dwight, already in place going into that 2014 free agency is huge. He is the drawcard to entice other free agents here as well. While it's not the end of the world if he leaves the future becomes a tad more cloudier for us then.

#450 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted May 23, 2013 - 06:10 AM

Sure Houston, we'll give you Howard, but you must relinquish Jeremy Lin, Omer Asik and Chandler Parsons to us....... hehehuheh

Edited by TheOriginalCZM, May 23, 2013 - 06:11 AM.

#451 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted May 23, 2013 - 06:30 AM

Chandler Parsons is a star in the making, guys.  Second season, and he's producing 16/5/4 on 49% FG and 39% 3PT, with minimum turnovers and smart shots.

The guy has potential to become an all-star down the road, at least once...definitely not a superstar or a franchise player, but all-star is not out of the question.

Meanwhile, in a couple of seasons, we may be calling James Harden the best two-guard in the NBA.

Jeremy Lin isn't the player he was for the limited games he had as a starter in New York (around 20-30 games), but life becomes easier for him with three stars on the roster, one being a superstar (Howard), one a borderline superstar (Harden), and the other a borderline all-star (Parsons).  He still gave Houston 13/6 on 44% FG last year, but most importantly, he was handling the ball a bit less and not turning the ball over as frequently as he did in New York (where, at one point, even though he was putting up crazy numbers, his turnovers were laughable).

Then you have Thomas Robinson, who still has potential to be a productive player in this league (and future starter), with Omer Asik being a legitimate backup for Howard.

Does it all come together when I mention that the Rockets are coached by one of the best offensive big men in the history of the game?

Houston is, clearly, the best option for Dwight.  Not that I want to see him go there, but honestly, it's the best decision he would make in his career.

#452 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 06:59 AM

Houston is, clearly, the best option for Dwight.  

#453 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 07:16 AM

Source: Howard Also Considering Warriors

May 23, 2013 10:49 AM EDT

Howard_Dwight_lal_130429.jpg

Dwight Howard is considering signing with the Golden State Warriors as well as the previously reported Los Angeles Lakers, Houston Rockets, Dallas Mavericks and Atlanta Hawks, a source close to the player said Thursday.

According to the source, Howard's main concern involves "what team he feels has the best chance to win championships, has the best team and system around him."

Howard can't officially sign with a team until July 10, when a moratorium on NBA business is lifted.

Edited by TheOriginalCZM, May 23, 2013 - 07:18 AM.

#454 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 07:31 AM

Golden State has around $46-47 million in guaranteed salary for next season...already not enough for a max deal.

Jefferson ($11 mill), Biedrins ($9 mill), Landry ($4 mill) and Rush ($4 mill) aren't included because they are player options...and both Biedrins and Jefferson would be completely ignorant not to take those.

So Golden State would have to amnesty David Lee, convince Jefferson and Biedrins to drop their PO's (which won't happen) OR work a trade with both involved (which is unlikely), just to make room for Howard.

OR, Dwight can request a trade there, and we would have to take scraps or let him walk to Houston.

#455 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted May 23, 2013 - 08:24 AM

Golden State has around $46-47 million in guaranteed salary for next season...already not enough for a max deal.

Jefferson ($11 mill), Biedrins ($9 mill), Landry ($4 mill) and Rush ($4 mill) aren't included because they are player options...and both Biedrins and Jefferson would be completely ignorant not to take those.

So Golden State would have to amnesty David Lee, convince Jefferson and Biedrins to drop their PO's (which won't happen) OR work a trade with both involved (which is unlikely), just to make room for Howard.

OR, Dwight can request a trade there, and we would have to take scraps or let him walk to Houston.

GS wasted their amnesty on Charlie Bell.  So I dont see how it works for them.

#456 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,017 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted May 23, 2013 - 08:32 AM

In your opinion does he goes to Houston?

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#457 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted May 23, 2013 - 09:09 AM

Of course he would go to Houston, and I think it is 50-50.  MDA however is 100% coming back next year so it is just a matter of, does Dwight want to play for D'Antoni again?

#458 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 09:11 AM

GS wasted their amnesty on Charlie Bell.  So I dont see how it works for them.

Guess that means they'll need to find a team to take David Lee off of their hands for a draft pick, then...which wouldn't surprise me, if they are truly interested in shrinking their payroll...but I just don't think all other pieces will fall into place.

In your opinion does he goes to Houston?

Does he?  I don't know.  I hate answering those questions because players don't always make the best decisions.  Of course, Howard makes more money by staying, but he also contends immediately by going to Houston, and he gets out from under D'Antoni.

Uncertainty dealing with Kobe also plays a part in all of this, as well as Mitch wanting his decision before the draft...and Phil Jackson making comments about how MDA doesn't play him correctly doesn't help our case, either.

So, truthfully, I have no idea.  If I had to bet my car, one way or the other, I'd say he leaves.

#459 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,561 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted May 23, 2013 - 09:26 AM

Like RD I feel like he should leave, it makes more sense for him. Something tells me though that he doesn't want to leave LA. I don't think the money will make him leave or stay, I believe that he will make the decision to land in the spot which he is more comfortable. It can go either way, he really does seem to love the spotlight, and hate the negative criticism.

But Houston makes much more sense.

#460 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,919 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 10:10 AM

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Dwightmare

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users