• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7079 replies to this topic

#421 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,386 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 22, 2013 - 04:28 PM

Like with many superstar/franchise players, Dwight simply wants his opinion to be valued.  This was one of the reasons why Orlando pissed him off and he wanted out from there.  He felt his opinion as a franchise player was not valued.

He wanted Phil Jackson as coach once Brown was fired, they went in another direction and I honestly feel as if Dwight saw the Orlando situation happening again.

It's kind of like two years ago when Kobe was not included in the coaching search.  Although Kobe said he leaves that stuff to the front office (PR talk), franchise players want their voice to be heard, even if just a little bit.  Kobe backed Brian Shaw as a candidate for the next head coach, the franchise went and got Mike Brown.

#422 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 22, 2013 - 04:33 PM

Theyll be a much more better and balanced team than golden state... Theyll be contending with OKC with Harden, Howard and Parson. Jeremy Lin is a good 4th player in that mix add in their depth and young players that they could trade for more players they have such a great future...

Lakers on the other hand is all about "chance" of getting something after next year?

Do none of you guys remember 2007 where the Lakers plan was to sign free agents aswell? How did that pan out? Badly. 

Houston's team is very good, I'm not sure they're great though. Harden is a superstar and Parsons is a very good player. Asik is a good C. The rest are role players right now. Who knows what they become late on, but I doubt they have a lot of value right now. They're not hard to get, but the Lakers haven't done a good job of getting them over the years. Hopefully Dwight doesn't recognize that part, lol.

Howard had trouble adjusting to a team that wasn't specifically built around him. I think the Lakers having a chance to do that from scratch would make it easier to do so. I think he may value that. There are no guarantees with FA, but it's a very good FA class with lots of talent available.

Edited by Japago, May 22, 2013 - 04:37 PM.

Posted Image

#423 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,347 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted May 22, 2013 - 04:44 PM

^^Houston can most def built around Howard they already have shooters there.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#424 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted May 22, 2013 - 04:47 PM

Houston's team is very good, I'm not sure they're great though. Harden is a superstar and Parsons is a very good player. Asik is a good C. The rest are role players right now. Who knows what they become late on, but I doubt they have a lot of value right now. They're not hard to get, but the Lakers haven't done a good job of getting them over the years. Hopefully Dwight doesn't recognize that part, lol.

Howard had trouble adjusting to a team that wasn't specifically built around him. I think the Lakers having a chance to do that from scratch would make it easier to do so. I think he may value that. There are no guarantees with FA, but it's a very good FA class with lots of talent available.

Add Howard and they become great for sure
Laker fan for life.

#425 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,386 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 04:48 PM

Add Howard and they become great for sure

Unfortunately, I agree.

Houston was one of the worst defensive teams in the league this year, but was one of the top offensive squads.  They need defense and what better way to address that is by adding a defensive player of the year candidate?

#426 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 04:53 PM

You need more than a defensive anchor to be a great defensive team though. They had a very good defensive anchor in Asik and they were still awful.

I don't think they would need more defensive players in place before they could compete.

Posted Image

#427 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,347 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted May 22, 2013 - 04:57 PM

Howard 50x the defensive player than Asik. if Howard can take Magic who didn't have no defense players and made them top team defense and even made lakers D look damn good at times wouldn't be a problem with Houston. It's all about the Defense scheme.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#428 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,090 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 22, 2013 - 05:08 PM

Theyll be a much more better and balanced team than golden state... Theyll be contending with OKC with Harden, Howard and Parson. Jeremy Lin is a good 4th player in that mix add in their depth and young players that they could trade for more players they have such a great future...

Lakers on the other hand is all about "chance" of getting something after next year?

Do none of you guys remember 2007 where the Lakers plan was to sign free agents aswell? How did that pan out? Badly. 

If by badly you mean we had one bad season followed by 3 finals appearances and 2 championships then yes I remember.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#429 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 05:11 PM

If by badly you mean we had one bad season followed by 3 finals appearances and 2 championships then yes I remember.

Sigh, I'm talking about our 2007 "cap plan" not is landing Pau Gasol in a freak trade. Be realistic
Laker fan for life.

#430 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 05:14 PM

You guys make good points. I just think there's something missing with that team. I'm not too impressed with the roster on their team. A bunch of good roles players, along with Harden, Asik, and Parsons. I don't think Asik would have a huge role as a back-up C too. But, it is better than the Lakers' right now.

Posted Image

#431 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 05:23 PM

You guys make good points. I just think there's something missing with that team. I'm not too impressed with the roster on their team. A bunch of good roles players, along with Harden, Asik, and Parsons. I don't think Asik would have a huge role as a back-up C too. But, it is better than the Lakers' right now.

1) they are really young and haven't reached their full potential/growth

2) parsons Is such an underrated player his a baller and will get much better
Laker fan for life.

#432 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,090 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 05:24 PM

Sigh, I'm talking about our 2007 "cap plan" not is landing Pau Gasol in a freak trade. Be realistic

I know. 

But not every move has to be groundbreaking. Some can be under the radar even if our free agency targets don't work.  Moves like trading away Cook and Evans for Ariza that year. Bringing in Jordan Farmar, bringing in Sasha Vujacic  and we actually were doing well before Bynum went down.   That's when they made the Crittenton, Brown for Pau Gasol deal.

The point is that even when the Lakers don't make a "homerun" in free agency, they always have a backup plan and sometimes they aren't always the team that makes the "OMG" deal during the summer, but it doesn't stop them from putting pieces there that help.  So we may not have conquered the "cap plan" in 2007.  But we put pieces in place that would go on to help us in our championship years to follow whether they had a mid-sided role or a reduced one they helped.   Gasol completed the puzzle and that was done during the season.

My main point is, the Lakers always have a plan.  So even if "bringing in a HUGE free agent talent in 2014" didn't happen, Mitch isn't going to be a deer in the headlights about it.  Us even having the space for another max contract in 2014 was a well thought out plan in general. 
They are hoping to do it while having a superstar(Dwight) to pair that with while still having some space afterwards.   The Lakers are building for the future now in 2014 and onwards and they are trying to do it by having two superstars to build around for years to come.  Not a two year quickie and then fading into obscurity till cap space opens up.   Their plan was to do a quickie for this year and next year while contending and in 2014 and onwards to build around two superstar max players and make consistent runs at championships.

That doesn't happen if our front office is full of idiots.

And even given all of our problems this year we still beat the Rockets in the season series, and finished the season as the better team.   They weren't better than us this year so why are they considered closer to a championship when in our injury plagued nightmare of a season they still finished worse than us?

Edited by Majesty, May 22, 2013 - 05:31 PM.

#433 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 05:36 PM

1) they are really young and haven't reached their full potential/growth

2) parsons Is such an underrated player his a baller and will get much better

I guess. I don't see any other players blossoming beyond a role player based on what I've seen. But, you never know I guess with some players that young.

Edited by Japago, May 22, 2013 - 05:41 PM.

Posted Image

#434 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 05:46 PM

I don't believe Mitch is a god and always have a plan that works.. Kwame for Caron butler was a bad trade for example, alot of drafts were bad. I honestly think lakers have a good FO but have also got lucky more times than not. That's what I mean by "chance". Houston to me right now has the pieces in place, lakers on the other hand are still based on "chance" "maybe" and "ifs". Yes we might be able to compete next year but beyond that, so much uncertainty
Laker fan for life.

#435 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,090 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 06:14 PM

Kupchak on the future inclusion of Dwight into the offense after Mitch had a "talk" with D'antoni

@KevinDing 

For what it's worth, Kupchak expects @DwightHoward to be featured plenty -- like late in Lakers season, saying D'Antoni is fully "on board."

Sounds like a "do this next year or you're fired" talk and D'antoni is "on board".   But take it however you like.

Like I figure, Mitch's eyes will be on D'antoni early next year.  if we aren't running an offense that utilizes Howard within the first week of the season D'antoni will be gone.

Edited by Majesty, May 22, 2013 - 06:14 PM.

#436 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,731 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted May 22, 2013 - 06:39 PM

^ frickin bums me out that Mitch had to talk to Antoni just to involve Howard in offense. 

#437 Wilfred

Wilfred

Starter

• 4,743 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 06:42 PM

Lakers FO had done little to infuse some youth in the team. Except D12 all our starters are past their prime .. some like Pau and Nash are well past.

The role player pickups have also been poor. This year's bench was a bit better than last 2 years. But that is not saying much.

When Kobe was in his prime, he could carry the weight and compensate.

We have been lucky having some of the most versatile and dominant players in the last 15 years.

However with Kobe gradually fading, the franchise needs a dynamic player for a 1-2 punch (assuming D12 stays) to be relevant in the future

#438 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,090 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 06:44 PM

^ frickin bums me out that Mitch had to talk to Antoni just to involve Howard in offense. 

It shouldn't be too surprising.  Kobe and Nash had to talk to D'antoni that they had to use him(Nash) off ball instead. 

D'antoni involved Dwight in the offense in terms of getting the ball in the post, the problem was the spacing around it all.

Lakers FO had done little to infuse some youth in the team. Except D12 all our starters are past their prime .. some like Pau and Nash are well past.

The role player pickups have also been poor. This year's bench was a bit better than last 2 years. But that is not saying much.

When Kobe was in his prime, he could carry the weight and compensate.

We have been lucky having some of the most versatile and dominant players in the last 15 years.

However with Kobe gradually fading, the franchise needs a dynamic player for a 1-2 punch (assuming D12 stays) to be relevant in the future

We went after OJ Mayo who would have helped our bench a lot this season imo, he went to Dallas instead. 

We also went after another young player I forget the name it was a small forward, he signed elsewhere. 

We went after Meeks but he didn't want to be on our team... till we got Dwight :laughing:

Actually we can still go after OJ Mayo this off-season.  Probably gonna happen. 

I say our free agent targets with how much we can offer (mmLE and vets min)

The guys we'll go after(aside from Dwight and Clark) is likely OJ Mayo(should he make himself available), Ronnie Brewer, and Martell Webster.  

I think we have the bigger chance of other players coming over should Dwight re-sign.   Least it will help us sign some other names to take the mMLE for the year.   Without Dwight no player would take a paycut to be here.  So us signing young talent that will actually make a difference imo has all to do with whether or not Dwight re-signs with us.

Edited by Majesty, May 22, 2013 - 06:49 PM.

#439 Wilfred

Wilfred

Starter

• 4,743 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:00 PM

MDA cannot utilize big men well. His style depends on fast young players with a dominant PG.

Lakers have never used a dominant PG in the last 18 or so years.

So basically we will be saddled with a coach who is basically incompatible with our main players.

And the FO & Jim Buss are to blame for choosing the coach. They probably had their reasons.

Whatever their logic was - it has been proven to be incorrect.

And by all looks of it .. it looks like we are stuck with MDA for a while

#440 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,090 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:01 PM

MDA cannot utilize big men well. His style depends on fast young players with a dominant PG.

Lakers have never used a dominant PG in the last 18 or so years.

So basically we will be saddled with a coach who is basically incompatible with our main players.

And the FO & Jim Buss are to blame for choosing the coach. They probably had their reasons.

Whatever their logic was - it has been proven to be incorrect.

And by all looks of it .. it looks like we are stuck with MDA for a while

You said what I said in the Phil Jackson thread in 700 less words :bounce:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users