#401 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 22, 2013 - 02:56 PM

Harden recruiting Dwight

http://www.hoopsworl...ing-free-agents

While Harden’s on-court production was outstanding, his biggest contribution may come during the offseason. That’s because Harden has already started recruiting big-time free agents to Houston, including unrestricted free agent Dwight Howard among others, according to sources close to the situation. If Houston is able to land Howard or another high-profile free agent this summer, they would instantly become a contender in the Western Conference and Harden would deserve much of the credit.

In recent months, Harden made it clear that he was planning to recruit free agents this summer. Now, with free agency still roughly six weeks away, he’s already starting to call and text some potential targets for Houston to sell them on the city, situation and future. Most free agents, including Howard, are big fans of Harden’s game and have a lot of respect for the up-and-coming shooting guard. On Wednesday afternoon, Harden confirmed via his Twitter account that he has been recruiting some players.

https://twitter.com/JHarden13/status/337305996332523520

Lol yup! RT @ARankin11: @JHarden13 You been doing some recruiting big dawg?

Harden is allowed to recruit free agents and sell them on Houston, according to NBA rules. After LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh agreed to sign with the Miami HEAT in the summer of 2010, NBA Commissioner David Stern addressed the topic of players recruiting one another.

“The three players are totally, as our system has evolved, within their rights to talk to each other,” Stern said of James, Wade and Bosh. “That is not tampering or collusion that is prohibited. That’s our rule, right now.”

In the past, the Rockets struggled to attract notable free agents. They swung and missed on Chris Bosh and Nene among others. They also expressed interest in trading for Carmelo Anthony and Howard, but neither player was interested in signing a long-term deal in Houston at the time. However, that all changed when they acquired Harden. Now, other stars around the league see that the team is close to contending in the West and that they wouldn’t be the only star in Houston.

There’s no question that the Rockets have an intriguing pitch for free agents, which is why some of the top players on the market are already planning to sit down with Houston for a meeting once July 1 arrives.

This season, the Rockets made the playoffs and managed to beat the Oklahoma City Thunder twice, despite being the youngest team in the NBA. They’re only going to continue getting better and they have more financial flexibility than most teams. However, even if they do eventually run out of cap space, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey and his staff have shown that they can find cheap talent to fill out the roster, as evidenced by second-round pick Chandler Parsons (who is also recruiting free agents for Houston) and midseason signee Patrick Beverley. Both players made less than $1 million this past year, but emerged as key contributors during the season.

Houston is also a great place to live, especially if you’re a professional athlete, since there is no state income tax. There’s also no millionaire tax like there is in L.A. When you consider that most superstar players opt out of a five-year deal after the fourth year anyway to test free agency and secure a new long-term deal, the fifth year and extra $30 million that the Los Angeles Lakers can offer to Howard are pretty insignificant. Factor in Los Angeles’ state income tax, millionaire tax and exorbitant cost of living and Howard isn’t leaving much, if any, money on the table at all.

However, Harden’s presence is clearly the biggest draw for potential free agents and he has been doing his job recently to make sure they know he’d welcome them with open arms in Houston.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#402 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted May 22, 2013 - 03:01 PM

If we lose Howard... The entire 2013-14 season gets shifted to 2014 offseason to rebuild. 

Laker fan for life.

#403 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,879 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted May 22, 2013 - 03:08 PM

If we lose Howard... The entire 2013-14 season gets shifted to 2014 offseason to rebuild. 

I agree, I just don't know what the management could do in the short term to give the team the boost it needs to make it to the finals.

Getting healthy should be the primary concern, as a healthy Bryant, Gasol and Nash could be effective in many ways. But that would only happen in time.

I'm still thinking Dwight will stay, but anything can happen. It will be interesting to see how it plays out in the end.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#404 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 22, 2013 - 03:12 PM

I don't feel confident in him staying as long as MDA is our coach. 

Houston would make a lot of sense for Dwight. 

#405 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,122 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 03:12 PM

With Houston, after they sign Dwight, they are going to be very limited on cap space. Lin + Harden + Dwight is their core. With Dwight, we can sell him that we can build around him and bring in players that he wants in 2014.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#406 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 03:15 PM

With Houston, after they sign Dwight, they are going to be very limited on cap space. Lin + Harden + Dwight is their core. With Dwight, we can sell him that we can build around him and bring in players that he wants in 2014.

So selling someone in 2014? on a CHANCE of playing with another star over houston who ALREADY has a star? Makes zero sense. 

Laker fan for life.

#407 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,122 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 03:17 PM

So selling someone in 2014? on a CHANCE of playing with another star over houston who ALREADY has a star? Makes zero sense.

Harden is the only star in Houston. Lin is terrible. Waste of money. The next "star" in Houson besides Harden is Parsons. He is a contributor, but not a star in my opinion.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#408 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,700 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 22, 2013 - 03:17 PM

Josh Smith I'd assume is more likely to wind up a Rocket than Dwight would be.

Smith I think they can get without paying the max, which would give them a little more flexibility.   It wouldn't be a "super" loss to get Smith and miss out on Dwight because of the season Asik gave them, not to mention the contract they have him on.

With Dwight they'd probably look into trading Asik or unloading that contract.

With Smith they could keep pretty much everyone and not have to give the max and still have a "little more" flexibility headed into 2014.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#409 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted May 22, 2013 - 03:18 PM

I don't agree with his reasoning about the extra year. That extra year is security. Most players do opt out because they've remained healthy and are still worth max money. But, it's nice for the extra year to be there in case that doesn't happen.

Posted Image

#410 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 03:44 PM

I don't agree with his reasoning about the extra year. That extra year is security. Most players do opt out because they've remained healthy and are still worth max money. But, it's nice for the extra year to be there in case that doesn't happen.

Good point. 

Harden is the only star in Houston. Lin is terrible. Waste of money. The next "star" in Houson besides Harden is Parsons. He is a contributor, but not a star in my opinion.

Parsons is a REALLY good player. But at least Houston has a star..

Who do we have?

- a 35 year old kobe thats coming of a major injury that no one knows what he will look like when he comes back

- a 40 year old Nash thats coming off loads of injuries and is close to retirement more than actually playing any meaningful minutes? 

- a 33 year old Pau Gasol that is past his prime ? 

At least they HAVE another star for the future. We got nothing. 

Laker fan for life.

#411 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 03:56 PM

I'll say this positive thing about the Lakers:

Houston is basically locked into that team though for at least 2 more years. Harden, Lin, and Asik will be making 45 mil. Add Dwight, and you're looking at 65 mil on 4 players after next season. They'll also have to re-sign Parsons, so they'll have less flexibility even when the contracts of Lin and Asik expire.

The Lakers will have a completely clean slate after next season with almost nothing on the payroll(they can spread option Nash, which will lessen his cap hit), so they'll be able to completely rebuild the team around Dwight.

Houston will probably be better next season though, and have a nice team already in place. Is it good enough for Dwight though to lock himself into it though? We'll see.

Posted Image

#412 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 04:00 PM

Houston is basically locked into that team though for at least 2 more years. Harden, Lin, and Asik will be making 45 mil. Add Dwight, and you're looking at 65 mil on 4 players after next season. They'll also have to re-sign Parsons, so they'll have less flexibility even when the contracts of Lin and Asik expire.

The Lakers will have a completely clean slate after next season with almost nothing on the payroll(they can spread option Nash, which will lessen his cap hit), so they'll be able to completely rebuild the team around Dwight.

Houston will probably be better next season though, and have a nice team already in place. Is it good enough for Dwight though to lock himself into it though? We'll see.

From a basketball point of view houston does make sense now yes I admit. Anyways besides me playing devils advocate I still believe Howard resigns at LA Lakers... Too much of a PR hit on an already damaged player. You dont just spit in the face of one of biggest fan bases in the world lol. 

Laker fan for life.

#413 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,322 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted May 22, 2013 - 04:02 PM

Idk if Dwight wanted to rebuild, if he wanted that he could have stayed with Magic for that. He wanted to contend.

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, May 22, 2013 - 04:05 PM.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#414 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted May 22, 2013 - 04:02 PM

If I was Dwight it would be a simple decision for me. I'd be booking my plane ticket to Houston and looking for a place.

#415 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 04:10 PM

Idk if Dwight wanted to rebuild, if he wanted that he could have stayed with Magic for that. He wanted to contend.

Well, I'm talking about rebuild as in put the exact right pieces around him so that he could compete. It's easier to do that from scratch.

Posted Image

#416 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,700 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 22, 2013 - 04:10 PM

Short term goal potentially Houston, long term goal and actually building out a career of longevity would be the Lakers.     Cause after 2 years Houston is stuck.  The Lakers actually have a plan beyond the quick fix.  They contend for this year and then make moves in the 2014 off-season which will make them contend for years to come in Dwight's prime years.

Houston on the other hand would contend for this year, and then.. after 2014 are stuck where we've been stuck the last few years with no veteran.   So they basically become Golden State lite.  

That is a reason I feel the Lakers have the advantage.

Edited by Majesty, May 22, 2013 - 04:11 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#417 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,322 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 04:13 PM

Well, I'm talking about rebuild as in put the exact right pieces around him so that he could compete. It's easier to do that from scratch.

oh ok but we don't really have anything to give to get the pieces here. Plus Houston has a lot of assets that they can trade to free up more space for better players/picks

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, May 22, 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#418 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 04:18 PM

oh ok but we don't really have anything to give to get the pieces here.

Cap space in 2014.

I basically said this: Houston has a good team that's already in place, but they're locked into that team for awhile. If it's not absolutely perfect, then they won't be able to do anything about it. At least the Lakers have the flexibility to change if things don't work out for them this year.

Edited by Japago, May 22, 2013 - 04:19 PM.

Posted Image

#419 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 04:19 PM

Short term goal potentially Houston, long term goal and actually building out a career of longevity would be the Lakers.     Cause after 2 years Houston is stuck.  The Lakers actually have a plan beyond the quick fix.  They contend for this year and then make moves in the 2014 off-season which will make them contend for years to come in Dwight's prime years.

Houston on the other hand would contend for this year, and then.. after 2014 are stuck where we've been stuck the last few years with no veteran.   So they basically become Golden State lite.  

That is a reason I feel the Lakers have the advantage.

Theyll be a much more better and balanced team than golden state... Theyll be contending with OKC with Harden, Howard and Parson. Jeremy Lin is a good 4th player in that mix add in their depth and young players that they could trade for more players they have such a great future...

Lakers on the other hand is all about "chance" of getting something after next year?

Do none of you guys remember 2007 where the Lakers plan was to sign free agents aswell? How did that pan out? Badly. 

Laker fan for life.

#420 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,322 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 04:25 PM

Cap space in 2014.

I basically said this: Houston has a good team that's already in place, but they're locked into that team for awhile. If it's not absolutely perfect, then they won't be able to do anything about it. At least the Lakers have the flexibility to change if things don't work out for them this year.

Yeah but we don't know if a star is going to sign here I hope so though, and we have to convince them from their teams too.  Plus Houston wont be stuck they have assets to trade they're players or picks for more space or to add players or draft picks.

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, May 22, 2013 - 04:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users