• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#61 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,872 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted April 29, 2013 - 09:58 PM

Mike Bresnahan: Metta on J. Collins: "Be free to act as you want as long as it’s not violent. I came here in a Cookie Monster shirt b/c I wanted to." Twitter @Mike_Bresnahan

#62 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,572 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted April 30, 2013 - 03:48 AM

Why do issues have to be so polarizing. I like the bible. I'm cool with God. That doesn't affect Collins. Collins is gay. He likes dudes. That doesn't affect me. Why do sides always need to form? How did Collins coming out of the closet become a anti religious topic? Maybe Collins is religious? And if he was gay and religious that still doesn't affect me.

The only issue in question of him coming out after all these years in the NBA is more of a locker room and team trust issue than anything. He showered and roomed with other guys on the team that he may or may not have been pecker checkin' from time to time. However that's their issue to deal with and it doesn't affect me.

Culturally its now affecting me. Because its in the media and the press is oh so happy about it. I don't know why they would be happy. I fail to understand how it affects them, even if they're gay themselves. 

And him coming out after playing 16 seasons is not at all "brave". In fact its cowardly and he just threw other gay athletes under the bus. His career is done and he will no longer have to deal with the future implications that other gay athletes will. Ones who are keeping their sexuality private from changes that Collins announcement will bring in the future. So in actuality his so called "bravery" may have just made the life of others like him more difficult. 

The media blames that on the ignorant straight people who worship god and are afraid of change. When the finger should be pointed at themselves. Because the only motivation Collins could have for coming out after all these years is more money and more publicity. And the press will oblige. And that does affect me because its aired on the TV networks that I pay for to view.

Edited by LakersGAFan, April 30, 2013 - 03:52 AM.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#63 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,081 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted April 30, 2013 - 05:16 AM

In the Old Testament, God instructed the Jews to rest on the Sabbath, which was the 7th day. It was a way to remember creation, which took 6 days, and then God rested on the seventh.

Christ was raised on Sunday, the first day of the week. The early Christians met on Sunday to worship God and to take communion, remembering Christ's death and resurrection. Nowhere, however, are they taught ton"rest" on this day.

The shedding of Jesus perfect blood freed all men from the old law (Sabbath remembrance, shellfish, tattoos, etc). (Galatians 3 is a good reference). But in order to access God's saving grace through Christ's shed blood, one must also put away the old, sinful man. Romans 6 describes baptism as a burial. Dying to self, and putting on Christ and walking as a new creature.

It is not judgmental to state that someone's behavior is contradictory to God's law, especially if you are talking about something that is clearly labeled a sin. (Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:8-10).

The concern, as people so often raise, is setting a standard of criticism for others that you fail to live up to yourself. The "do not judge" passage that people love to misapply is Jesus' speaking in Matthew 7. The passage, as much as anything, is about self-reflection. The admonition is to remove the "beam" from your own eye so you can see "clearly" to remove the "speck" from your brother's eye. In short, examine yourself, before you go pointing out the flaws in others.

That is a very weighty teaching and it applies to all - especially those who are going to invoke scripture (which, indirectly, Mr. Collins did himself, by referencing Jesus' teachings on tolerance. Of course, nowhere des Jesus teach that sin should be tolerated).

And even with this critical teaching from Matthew 7, nowhere does Jesus, or any Biblical writer teach that we are to tolerate or accept sinful behavior. And that is wat Mr. Broussard is pointing out. He is addressing the Biblical truth that one who calls himself a follower of Christ should not be openly walking in sinful behavior. The admonition is to repent. Actively walking in sin is not repentant.

You can choose to not believe the Bible and not allow it to influence your view on any social issues. That is your choice. But, if you re going to invoke it, then you should at least read it and read for understanding so that you can apply it the way it was intended.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#64 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 30, 2013 - 05:42 AM

what irks me is that there are other things in the Bible that are said to be a sin as well right? Having so much money, all those tattoos on the players, working on Sundays (like someone said previously), adultery, children out of wedlock. Right? Yet the moment someone comes out that is when Chris all of a sudden says it's a sin. So the inks on skin is okay? Yet loving another man is a sin?

He (Jason) is brave, because even though so many people are more liberal and open minded these days, it's still scary for them.

Some of you are saying how once the opinion is directed against "being gay", then the person is ultimately shunned and how that's not okay.

Let's also look at Mark Jackson's comment. I don't really understand the context but he said that he is praying for Jason and his family. Yet...when he cheated on his wife, he was a true Christian. All jibber jabber.

Sure you're right on the fact that they should have their own opinion, such as Chris and Mark. But they are letting some things roll of their back while being gay is ultimately a sin to them. That makes most of their opinions end up to be hypocritically because to them everything is okay (even if it may be against the bible) but once you're gay, that's when it's a sin.

That's the only part that irks me. Just don't be a hypocrite.

Once again, kudos to Jason.

Let's hope for equality and peace for every one.

Having a lot of money is not a sin. The problem is greed that sometimes comes along with it. Some people are blessed with talents which allow them to acquire wealth.

With regards to the Sabbath, if God has blessed you with a career that requires you to work on Sunday...do you think He wants you to get fired for not showing up? See Matthew 12:9-13, Mark 2:27.

Christ didn't "all of a sudden" say homosexuality is a sin...it's always been a sin. Being gay isn't singled out among sins...it just is in this topic.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#65 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,743 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 30, 2013 - 06:24 AM

I agree with you that people should not be judgmental. The only thing I wish is that everyone is entitled to their beliefs and opinions as long as they are not directly hate. I don't think people should be attacked because they don't agree with something.

Well pretty much saying you don't support gays is like saying you don't support people with blue eyes. Its stupid because they can't control it, its not a choice.

#66 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 06:31 AM

^ that's where the disagreement lies

Pau Gasol is GONE

#67 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,279 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted April 30, 2013 - 07:45 AM

Well pretty much saying you don't support gays is like saying you don't support people with blue eyes. Its stupid because they can't control it, its not a choice.

Of course they can control it, I personally know people who were gay and they became straight 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#68 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,436 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted April 30, 2013 - 07:55 AM

Uh oh, you guys are walking into a hell of a controversial topic here...

Personally I've never given a thought as to why some people are gay. It doesn't affect me and its none of my business. That's where it should end for everyone.

#69 soldier4death

soldier4death

Makaveli Trained GS

• 912 posts
  • Name:Ruben
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Me

Posted April 30, 2013 - 08:26 AM

Uh oh, you guys are walking into a hell of a controversial topic here...

Personally I've never given a thought as to why some people are gay. It doesn't affect me and its none of my business. That's where it should end for everyone.

Exactly! It shouldn't be thrown all over our faces, as in espn, news stations, late night shows. Kids picking up a copy of sports illustrated are forced to read this crap. If you want acceptance, stop acting like your lifestyle is different. How come there isn't an espn cover when an athlete announces that he likes big breasts, or bigger woman, or asians, etc. Sexual life preferences shouldn't be a major news worthy issue. And if you want equality stop acting like it is. More people would care less about your preferences and would not attack you on a personal level if it were not thrown in their faces. People are heated, because it's being forced into discussion.

#70 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,743 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 10:56 AM

Of course they can control it, I personally know people who were gay and they became straight 

lol thats complete bs. You can't control who you are attracted to. The people that you know might now have a straight relationship but they still have an attraction to the same sex.

#71 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,743 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 10:58 AM

Exactly! It shouldn't be thrown all over our faces, as in espn, news stations, late night shows. Kids picking up a copy of sports illustrated are forced to read this crap. If you want acceptance, stop acting like your lifestyle is different. How come there isn't an espn cover when an athlete announces that he likes big breasts, or bigger woman, or asians, etc. Sexual life preferences shouldn't be a major news worthy issue. And if you want equality stop acting like it is. More people would care less about your preferences and would not attack you on a personal level if it were not thrown in their faces. People are heated, because it's being forced into discussion.

Blame that on people that hate gays. They made it a big deal.

#72 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,300 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Swaggy P, J-Chill, K-Butta

Posted April 30, 2013 - 11:21 AM

Exclusive footage of Chris Bosh finding out the news this morning:

boshshower.gif

389145_10200937833864944_2145676238_n.jp

940822_651673584848148_129582767_n.jpg

922750_651516228197217_1641137591_n.jpg

229686_651676684847838_2054893159_n.jpg

603807_652041071478066_86527934_n.jpg

942577_415541581877741_393465039_n.jpg

Edited by DTIII™, April 30, 2013 - 01:25 PM.

EyMlHkX.jpg

#73 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,043 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 30, 2013 - 11:25 AM

Not to derail the thread since there have been plenty of discussions in the Off topic section, but there's a good amount of scientific evidence contradicting that. It's tough to make a blanket statement saying they can control it. Also, those people you were talking about could be bisexual, which would reconcile that behavior.

Scientists may have finally solved the puzzle of what makes a person gay, and how it is passed from parents to their children.

A group of scientists suggested Tuesday that homosexuals get that trait from their opposite-sex parents: A lesbian will almost always get the trait from her father, while a gay man will get the trait from his mother.

The hereditary link of homosexuality has long been established, but scientists knew it was not a strictly genetic link, because there are many pairs of identical twins who have differing sexualities. Scientists from the National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis say homosexuality seems to have an epigenetic, not a genetic link.

Long thought to have some sort of hereditary link, a group of scientists suggested Tuesday that homosexuality is linked to epi-marks — extra layers of information that control how certain genes are expressed. These epi-marks are usually, but not always, "erased" between generations. In homosexuals, these epi-marks aren't erased — they're passed from father-to-daughter or mother-to-son, explains William Rice, an evolutionary biologist at the University of California Santa Barbara and lead author of the study.

Link

Anyways I'll try to get back on topic now.

Edited by bfc1125roy, April 30, 2013 - 11:26 AM.

#74 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,872 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted April 30, 2013 - 11:38 AM

#75 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 23,279 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 12:07 PM

lol thats complete bs. You can't control who you are attracted to. The people that you know might now have a straight relationship but they still have an attraction to the same sex.

So, does it make it right to be a sinner and be attracted to the same sex?

#76 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,043 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 30, 2013 - 12:54 PM

Ok had to step in again to make a point because your logic is a bit confusing. If you accept his premise (that you can't control your sexuality) then that means you were born a sinner and can't do anything about it, if you want to call being attracted to the same sex being a sinner. However sins by definition are an action you have to perform so the whole concept of sinning is rendered irrelevant if you are a sinner by doing absolutely nothing.  

#77 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,743 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 01:04 PM

I don't really understand the question. But ill answer no because I don't believe being gay is a sin. 

#78 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 23,279 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 01:48 PM

I don't really understand the question. But ill answer no because I don't believe being gay is a sin. 

it's in the Bible that it's a sin 

#79 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 02:20 PM

Oh [expletive], here we go

Pau Gasol is GONE

#80 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 23,279 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 02:50 PM

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 - "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God." 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users