126 replies to this topic

#41 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,496 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted April 29, 2013 - 06:32 PM

Brave?  Maybe.  Noone else has had the guts to do it.

Opportunist?  Maybe.  As the first guy to do it, he will undoubtedly line up book deals, speaking engagements and rake in some dough.  All at a point in his career when he is wondering if he will get another contract in the league.

Personally I dont care one way or the other as long as he doesnt wave his wandango my way and does not flaunt his lifestyle.

Debbie Downer

#42 artemis

artemis

Bruin

• 1,401 posts
  • Name:Artemis
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Pau, Horry

Posted April 29, 2013 - 06:55 PM

First and foremost, kudos to Jason Collins. Hoping for all the courage and success in his life. Power to him!

Here's what I think about the whole Chris Broussard situation. Of course he is entitled to his own opinion. He is allowed to say what he feels (unless he is a true idiot about it). But what irks me is that there are other things in the Bible that are said to be a sin as well right? Having so much money, all those tattoos on the players, working on Sundays (like someone said previously), adultery, children out of wedlock. Right? Yet the moment someone comes out that is when Chris all of a sudden says it's a sin. So the inks on skin is okay? Yet loving another man is a sin?

He (Jason) is brave, because even though so many people are more liberal and open minded these days, it's still scary for them. 

Some of you are saying how once the opinion is directed against "being gay", then the person is ultimately shunned and how that's not okay.

Let's also look at Mark Jackson's comment. I don't really understand the context but he said that he is praying for Jason and his family. Yet...when he cheated on his wife, he was a true Christian. All jibber jabber.

Sure you're right on the fact that they should have their own opinion, such as Chris and Mark. But they are letting some things roll of their back while being gay is ultimately a sin to them. That makes most of their opinions end up to be hypocritically because to them everything is okay (even if it may be against the bible) but once you're gay, that's when it's a sin.

That's the only part that irks me. Just don't be a hypocrite.

Once again, kudos to Jason.

Let's hope for equality and peace for every one.

Edited by artemis, April 29, 2013 - 06:57 PM.

“It is by chance that we met, by choice that we became friends.”

Posted Image

rest in paradise bestie matt
8.13.1992 - 9.27.2010

• 40,603 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 07:03 PM

^ Daaamn. Look at you! You haven't shown yourself around here in years! It's not often you see an OG around here. Great to see you here again, even if it's just for one post or a few. You've left your lady friend JEN all alone. We haven't had any more Female members other than her in years other than maybe Lady_V.

yo.

#44 artemis

artemis

Bruin

• 1,401 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 07:18 PM

^ Daaamn. Look at you! You haven't shown yourself around here in years! It's not often you see an OG around here. Great to see you here again, even if it's just for one post or a few. You've left your lady friend JEN all alone. We haven't had any more Female members other than her in years other than maybe Lady_V.

Missing you guys here and there haha

Posted Image

8.13.1992 - 9.27.2010

#45 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,958 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 29, 2013 - 07:19 PM

Yes Chris Brussard should be hitting himself on the head with the bible whenever he covers a Sunday game on ESPN =p  And Mark Jackson should refuse to coach his team on Sunday games

Seems that people pick out something "selective" from the Bible when it's convenient to judge another instead of following it verbatim themselves.  What's the word for people like that...

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

• 40,603 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 07:31 PM

^ Hypocrites. Problem is we all are. Just some more than others and many of us won't accept or admit that we are.

yo.

#47 SDLakersfan24

SDLakersfan24

Rookie

• 180 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Worthy

Posted April 29, 2013 - 07:34 PM

First and foremost, kudos to Jason Collins. Hoping for all the courage and success in his life. Power to him!

Here's what I think about the whole Chris Broussard situation. Of course he is entitled to his own opinion. He is allowed to say what he feels (unless he is a true idiot about it). But what irks me is that there are other things in the Bible that are said to be a sin as well right? Having so much money, all those tattoos on the players, working on Sundays (like someone said previously), adultery, children out of wedlock. Right? Yet the moment someone comes out that is when Chris all of a sudden says it's a sin. So the inks on skin is okay? Yet loving another man is a sin?

He (Jason) is brave, because even though so many people are more liberal and open minded these days, it's still scary for them. 

Some of you are saying how once the opinion is directed against "being gay", then the person is ultimately shunned and how that's not okay.

Let's also look at Mark Jackson's comment. I don't really understand the context but he said that he is praying for Jason and his family. Yet...when he cheated on his wife, he was a true Christian. All jibber jabber.

Sure you're right on the fact that they should have their own opinion, such as Chris and Mark. But they are letting some things roll of their back while being gay is ultimately a sin to them. That makes most of their opinions end up to be hypocritically because to them everything is okay (even if it may be against the bible) but once you're gay, that's when it's a sin.

That's the only part that irks me. Just don't be a hypocrite.

Once again, kudos to Jason.

Let's hope for equality and peace for every one.

People are not praising these people for things such as cheating on their wives, they are however praising Collins for coming out and making him out to be a hero. So Broussard is not being a hypocrite but simply voicing his opinion. The only reason he is saying this is because Jason Collins is being made out to be a hero. 

#48 Wilfred

Wilfred

Starter

• 5,351 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 29, 2013 - 07:41 PM

Have nothing but disgust at this bible (or any other religious book) waving freaks.

Kudos to Collins.

#49 SDLakersfan24

SDLakersfan24

Rookie

• 180 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 07:43 PM

Have nothing but disgust at this bible (or any other religious book) waving freaks.

Kudos to Collins.

So now you are in turn discriminating against a large group of people, I thought that was the point of this whole ordeal was not to judge people based on their beliefs or lifestyles?

#50 artemis

artemis

Bruin

• 1,401 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 07:44 PM

People are not praising these people for things such as cheating on their wives, they are however praising Collins for coming out and making him out to be a hero. So Broussard is not being a hypocrite but simply voicing his opinion. The only reason he is saying this is because Jason Collins is being made out to be a hero. 

I'm not saying Chris can't have an opinion. I even said having an opinion is needed. We can't be mute. I'm only saying he is a hypocrite because he is selecting homosexuality from the Bible. Like stated previously, if he is truly following the Bible then he shouldn't work on Sundays.

And I mean, I'm sure he is a hero to young athletes or non-athletes who are scared to come out. I just found it offensive when he said Jason, to him, is not a Christian. Say anything but don't take religion from someone who considers himself Christian.

All I'm saying, but I respect your statement.

:)

Edited by artemis, April 29, 2013 - 08:33 PM.

Posted Image

8.13.1992 - 9.27.2010

#51 SDLakersfan24

SDLakersfan24

Rookie

• 180 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 07:48 PM

I'm not saying Chris can't have an opinion. I even said having an opinion is needed. Wecan't be mute. I'm only saying he is an hypocrite because he is selected homosexuality from the Buble. Like stared previously, if he is truly following the Bible then he shouldn't work on Sundays.

And I mean, I'm sure he is a hero to young athletes or non-athletes who are scared to come out. I jusy found it offensive when he said Jason, to him, is not a Christian. Say anything but don't take religion from someone who considers himself Christian.

All I'm saying, but I respect your statement.

:)

Where in the bible does it say that working on sundays is a sin? Just curious

#52 artemis

artemis

Bruin

• 1,401 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 07:51 PM

Where in the bible does it say that working on sundays is a sin? Just curious

I believe it's said to have mass that day. To take work off.

Posted Image

8.13.1992 - 9.27.2010

#53 artemis

artemis

Bruin

• 1,401 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 07:52 PM

Oh where? I won't be able to tell you the verse. Been told of this by my Liberal Catholic Geography teacher lol

Edit:

Just googled it, I believe is Exodus 35:2

Edited by artemis, April 29, 2013 - 08:01 PM.

Posted Image

8.13.1992 - 9.27.2010

#54 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,894 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 29, 2013 - 08:12 PM

And.....there is still a lot of discrimination against gays. Coming out might not be "heroic" (w/e it means) but it is brave.

And Broussard is a hypocrite. He is judging and if you are a christian you should not judge.

"No Justice. No Peace. Jail the Racist Police!"

#55 SDLakersfan24

SDLakersfan24

Rookie

• 180 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 08:23 PM

And.....there is still a lot of discrimination against gays. Coming out might not be "heroic" (w/e it means) but it is brave.

And Broussard is a hypocrite. He is judging and if you are a christian you should not judge.

I don't think it's brave, people of stature today are forced to support decisions like his because if they don't, they will be criticized and publicly bashed to no end. What's the challenge in something if there is no opposition and you know that you will be made out to be a hero? I would say what Broussard said is takes guts because he knows he will be bashed and attacked, however he still stood up for what he believes. Just to be clear, I don't hate gays or anything, I just don't agree with giving someone so much attention and praise just because they stated they were gay.

#56 artemis

artemis

Bruin

• 1,401 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 08:30 PM

I don't think it's brave, people of stature today are forced to support decisions like his because if they don't, they will be criticized and publicly bashed to no end. What's the challenge in something if there is no opposition and you know that you will be made out to be a hero? I would say what Broussard said is takes guts because he knows he will be bashed and attacked, however he still stood up for what he believes. Just to be clear, I don't hate gays or anything, I just don't agree with giving someone so much attention and praise just because they stated they were gay.

But at the same time, we can say that it took guts for Jason to come out because he knew that he will be bashed and attacked by some.

Posted Image

8.13.1992 - 9.27.2010

#57 SDLakersfan24

SDLakersfan24

Rookie

• 180 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 08:37 PM

But at the same time, we can say that it took guts for Jason to come out because he knew that he will be bashed and attacked by some.

I guess a little bit, but there will always be those who disagree with you no matter what. My point is that no one in the media, or no one with any kind of public following will say anything because they are afraid to. When someone does, everyone gangs up on them and makes them out as evil. Just like Mike Wallace as someone pointed out earlier in the thread. He said that he didn't understand gays, and now he is being labeled as ignorant and hateful and articles are being written about him. So no one will voice their opinion if it doesn't sound like they are 100% backing collins.

Edited by SDLakersfan24, April 29, 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#58 artemis

artemis

Bruin

• 1,401 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 08:50 PM

I guess a little bit, but there will always be those who disagree with you no matter what. My point is that no one in the media, or no one with any kind of public following will say anything because they are afraid to. When someone does, everyone gangs up on them and makes them out as evil. Just like Mike Wallace as someone pointed out earlier in the thread. He said that he didn't understand gays, and now he is being labeled as ignorant and hateful and articles are being written about him. So no one will voice their opinion if it doesn't sound like they are 100% backing collins.

I agree with you that not everyone agree on everything. Truly agree with that (no pun intended). And yes, people do take some thing that are being said in different contexts. But what my point is that people (religious ones) state that there are many sins in the Bible, yet we only seem to spotlight homosexuality. And I'm not only referring to Chris Broussard, but there are far too many people who identify themselves are Christians who follow the Bible and are against homosexuality when those same people have children out of wed-lock.  When we Christians should not be judgmental in anyway. We need to be accepting (again I'm speaking in general, not directed to anyone). That's all I'm saying. If one is preaching something, then they should preach it wholly. 

But I truly agree with you that there will always be people who disagree with you (we can't seem to have a perfect World) 

:(

Edited by artemis, April 29, 2013 - 08:51 PM.

Posted Image

8.13.1992 - 9.27.2010

#59 SDLakersfan24

SDLakersfan24

Rookie

• 180 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 09:09 PM

I agree with you that not everyone agree on everything. Truly agree with that (no pun intended). And yes, people do take some thing that are being said in different contexts. But what my point is that people (religious ones) state that there are many sins in the Bible, yet we only seem to spotlight homosexuality. And I'm not only referring to Chris Broussard, but there are far too many people who identify themselves are Christians who follow the Bible and are against homosexuality when those same people have children out of wed-lock.  When we Christians should not be judgmental in anyway. We need to be accepting (again I'm speaking in general, not directed to anyone). That's all I'm saying. If one is preaching something, then they should preach it wholly. 

But I truly agree with you that there will always be people who disagree with you (we can't seem to have a perfect World) 

:(

I agree with you that people should not be judgmental. The only thing I wish is that everyone is entitled to their beliefs and opinions as long as they are not directly hate. I don't think people should be attacked because they don't agree with something.

#60 Yaboy

Yaboy

Sixth Man

• 3,946 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 29, 2013 - 09:43 PM

Agree with what Chuck said on Inside the NBA.

OD_zpsef7494d9.png

"Love me or hate me it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, hate my swagger, hate my fade-away, my hunger, hate that i'm a veteran, A champion, hate that. Hate it with all your heart, and hate that i'm loved for the exact same reasons." - Kobe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users