• Please log in to reply
565 replies to this topic

#101 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 20,923 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 08, 2013 - 04:00 PM

I thought he was talking about Corey Brewer, I knew it was weird when I heard that name because I figured it was Corey Brewer and thought we couldn't afford him. :laughing:

I wouldn't mind Ronnie Brewer for cheap though.

Another name we should keep an eye on, Delonte West.  Think he would be a good combo guard here, could use his defense

#102 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,449 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 08, 2013 - 04:02 PM

I thought he was talking about Corey Brewer, I knew it was weird when I heard that name because I figured it was Corey Brewer and thought we couldn't afford him. :laughing:

I wouldn't mind Ronnie Brewer for cheap though.

Another name we should keep an eye on, Delonte West.  Think he would be a good combo guard here, could use his defense

The question will always be where his heads at.  And unfortunately its unknown.

as talented as he is NO team went after the guy after Mark Cuban cut him.  I'm wondering why that is, the only team I really heard about musing over signing him was the Lakers, no one else took a chance, and any team that did asked him to go to the D-league.  

I'm wondering why that is.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#103 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 20,923 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 04:04 PM

The question will always be where his heads at.  And unfortunately its unknown.

as talented as he is NO team went after the guy after Mark Cuban cut him.  I'm wondering why that is, the only team I really heard about musing over signing him was the Lakers, no one else took a chance, and any team that did asked him to go to the D-league.  

I'm wondering why that is.

He's a head case no doubt, it's a gamble but if he's for cheap, I'd take a chance

#104 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,449 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 04:45 PM

Brewer IS a defender though.

it seems to me like the Lakers are looking to add some defenders to the bench and some athleticism.  Which is good.

if they add Webster and Brewer I'll be happy

#105 David

David

Superstar

• 7,958 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 05:39 PM

Brewer IS a defender though.

Doesn't fit with MDA'e system and philosophy

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#106 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 20,923 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 06:04 PM

Mike+D%27Antoni+Chill+Meme.jpg

#107 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 1,533 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted May 08, 2013 - 06:52 PM

brewer will look to sign to a team that constantly wants to fast break. he wont sign to a team like us - he wont thrive here; and he'll lower his value for the season after next (exactly like matt barnes)

"The West aint close, now that the LAL got Dwight, who gon stop him on OKC!????" - Chris Webber (nba tv -August)

Big 4s are OVERRATED. you think Nash/Kobe/Dwight cant carry the whole Offensive load!?
(Peace Pau we need pieces, not MettaWorldPieces!!!!!!!!)

#108 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,449 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 09:01 PM

MDA doesn't care about his players knowing defense or not. 

Otherwise Raja Bell and Shawn Marion wouldn't have had the roles on the team they did.

it's a clever joke, but it's inaccurate.

#109 ツ  

ツ  

Starter

• 5,515 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted May 08, 2013 - 09:09 PM

brewer lacks an offensive game though. a poor man meeks but with better defense

#110 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,449 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 12:57 AM

Interesting

https://twitter.com/...180850923933696

Brewer can D up and hustle but streaky shooter. Daniels is old/injured. Garcia is legit. And Delfino just had the same injury as Yao so hes gonna be out for a while.

Well Brewer also has one of my favorite well put together youtube highlight videos as well.  Enough to make someone really like the guy

Also

hi-res-158042329_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=

Ronnie Brewer can bring a little speed and athleticism to the Lakers.
Bruce Bennett/Getty Images

Lakers Under the Radar Free Agent Watch: Ronnie Brewer

After starting 34 games early this season for the New York Knicks, Brewer became an afterthought before being dealt to Oklahoma City. Now he can't even get off the bench for the Thunder in the postseason.

It's a shame, because Brewer has shown the ability to be an above-average NBA player, worthy of starter's minutes.

He's one of the worst wing shooters in the league (probably a big reason why the Knicks banished him), but he's an intuitive cutter who finishes well around the basket off of those cuts as well as in transition.

As long as he doesn't try to do anything he can't, Brewer can be part of an effective offense. In addition to his timely cuts, he's a surprisingly adept ballhandler and passer who hardly ever turns it over.

The bulk of Brewer's value comes at the defensive end though. Brewer is long and mobile, with a real knack for getting his hands on the ball and coming away with steals. He also rebounds the ball very well for his position.

Brewer would finally be able to relieve the beleaguered Metta World Peace of his perimeter stopper duties, drawing the assignment of the opposing team's best wing scorer every night.

It's a task that Brewer has proven to be up to in the past.

(Quoter's Note) Majesty

It should also be noted that Brewer plays at his best when playing with capable point guards to find him on his way to the basket and off cuts where he is most effective.

When Brewer started his career in Utah with Deron Williams he shot an astounding  52% from the field in his first year, 55% from the field his second year, and 50% his third and 49% in his fourth.

But his statistics take a drastic drop when he is reduced to garbage time minutes where he is asked to shoot long jump shots which are obviously not his strong suit, the further from the basket he shoots the more his percentage goes down.  

After the Jazz dealt him to Memphis for 5 pointless garbage time games his shooting percentage while shooting long jump shots in garbage time minutes dipped to 29% over 5 meaningless games.

But when sent to Chicago, Brewers efficiency and shooting percentage rose again.

Now in Chicago with a point guard like Derrick Rose his shooting percentage shot up to 48%  from the field. 

In his second year in Chicago where they played half with and half without Rose Brewer's shooting percentage fluctuated depending on who was out there and understood where to find him, and he finished the season 42% from the field.

Then in New York while they were still searching for an identity he found himself playing sparse and inconsistent minutes, once again via a team not taking advantage of his strongest suit and depending on his hustle and defense, and his shooting percentage dropped to 36% from the field, and then when relegated to garbage time to never getting off the bench in OKC his percentage drops to 26%.  

If history has told us anything about Ronnie Brewer offensively, it's that the further you place him from the basket the less accurate you'll get from him, but if you have the right point guard that knows how to find cutters and people on the inside, Brewer is a highly efficient scorer down low on cuts and at the rim and close to the basket, patching a career 49% shooting from the field despite the flubs mentioned with teams in scenarios when he was playing garbage time or the team didn't know how to use him.

Now that the Lakers have  Steve Nash and a newly rejuvenated Steve Blake, we suspect they'll have no problem finding Brewer where he needs to be no matter which unit he plays for.  And the Lakers will benefit.

Actually this is a very smart move by the Lakers, a REALLY smart move.  The guy I'm guessing would be taking over Jamison's duties for cutting to the basket and finishing at the rim and Blake is good at finding people that can do that, he'd also be there for defending wing players as Metta we know is getting up there in age(and belongs at the 4 anyway) so Brewer actually gives us another wing defender and a darn good one too.

The only downside is that he isn't a consistent shooter, and DEFINITELY not an outside shooter, which is astounding because he was one in college more or less at times.  

But he adds rim cutting ability, athleticism, and defense to the team, putting him with a guy like Blake on our bench is a nice addition. 

Oh and he would be coming cheap.

Edited by Majesty, May 09, 2013 - 03:15 AM.

#111 David

David

Superstar

• 7,958 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 06:25 AM

MDA doesn't care about his players knowing defense or not.

Nor does he care about defense itself

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#112 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

Ex Dr.Jekyll -- Having no limitation as limitation.

• 1,393 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 09, 2013 - 07:03 AM

Well,I must agree with Majesty,that is a really ok move if it happens. But if we spend whole mMLE on Brewer,we won't get much more athletic cause Budinger,Webster,Wright ect. won't sign for vet's min.

EDIT : Never mind,I just saw on Hoopshype he is on vet min payroll. That's great. We would have full mMLE to spend.

Nevertheless, I think Garcia's too old(33 next season). We need to get young and athletic. Damn,if only Iggy would want to sign for mini MLE for one year and resign the next.

Edited by Dr. Jekyll, May 09, 2013 - 07:15 AM.

Impossible is nothing.

#113 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 822 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted May 09, 2013 - 10:24 AM

Ronnie would be a great pick up. I was disappointed we didn't pick him up last off season. A vet min athletic wing defender who is under 30 and is not being used at his current team, meaning he most likely doesn't stay at OKC. While he is not a floor stretcher and not a great shooter he can fill that gap left by Antwan as a slasher and cutter.

Edited by jax24, May 09, 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#114 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Sixth Man

• 3,593 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 09, 2013 - 10:46 AM

Ronnie Brewer would be an awesome pick-up. Could have had him earlier this season, but he went to the Thunder instead. 

How about Kenyon Martin - went to the Knicks. 

Chris Andersen? Heat. 

Delonte West, Chris Douglas-Roberts? Not playing for the Lakers. 

A lot of the guys who would be nice additions THIS offseason we actually could have gotten during the season. But didnt. 

Do you know who else would be an awesome pick-up: Matt Barnes. He defend the wings and shoot 3 very well. Oh wait, we did have him, but for some reason our nimwit coach named Mike decided not to re-sign him, despite the fact that he EASILY was our best bench player last season. 

#115 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,449 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 02:23 PM

More on Brewer

Brewer is a very versatile player, who can play the 2 and sometimes even the 1. He uses his length very well and has established himself as one of the better perimeter defenders. His size allows him to post up guards at ease, making him a matchup problem for other second unit players.

His defense will be greatly needed, especially against Western Conference guards like Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Russell Westbrook, James Harden and Chris Paul. While all five of these players cannot be stopped completely by Brewer, his length will allow him to slow down these offensively proficient players.

Brewer is not the "big name" acquisition that Steve Nash is, but his skills on the defensive end of the floor make the Lakers a more formidable threat in the West.

We'll be needing him to play the 2 and 3 most likely. 

Hey if it takes some of the defensive pressure off Kobe and Metta on stars I'm all for it. 

#116 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,449 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 04:58 PM

Also another name in the rumblings of the Lakers Unrestricted Free Agent interests.

Tony Allen.

With the talk of interest in Brewer and also apparently Tony Allen(whom they COULD get for the MLE since that's close to what he's making in Memphis now) 

If they were to sign Tony Allen for the MLE
and Ronnie Brewer for the Vets Minimum.

It surely improves perimeter defense, while not doing so much in terms of offense.

It comes down to what you prefer.

My guess is they feel that their starting lineup is top heavy enough to score in bunches but that their bench lacks defense to make them viable to mix and match with the starters depending on defensive matchups.

Would the edition of Brewer and Allen solve the Lakers perimeter defensive woes?  Or would it hurt them too much on the offensive end?

Edited by Majesty, May 09, 2013 - 06:25 PM.

#117 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 5,397 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted May 09, 2013 - 06:09 PM

how do we have full MLE?

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#118 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,449 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 06:25 PM

how do we have full MLE?

We have an MLE that can pay someone I think a little over 3 million or two people 1.5 million each.

Which is what Tony Allen is making on the Grizzlies right now, a little over 3 million.

Edited by Majesty, May 09, 2013 - 06:25 PM.

#119 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 1,533 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted May 09, 2013 - 06:26 PM

how do we have full MLE?

we wont unless dwight doesnt resign AND we amnesty MWP. if we do those we'll be right at the threshold for regaining the full MLE (im not sure wich side of the threshold tho)

"The West aint close, now that the LAL got Dwight, who gon stop him on OKC!????" - Chris Webber (nba tv -August)

Big 4s are OVERRATED. you think Nash/Kobe/Dwight cant carry the whole Offensive load!?
(Peace Pau we need pieces, not MettaWorldPieces!!!!!!!!)

#120 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,449 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 06:28 PM

we wont unless dwight doesnt resign AND we amnesty MWP. if we do those we'll be right at the threshold for regaining the full MLE (im not sure wich side of the threshold tho)

We actually have a 3 million dollar MLE.  And we can spend it on one player or we can split it into two for two players giving them 1.5 million each.

So thus using the MLE to get Tony Allen isn't out of the question as he's making just a little over 3 million in Memphis right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users