#541 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,469 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 20, 2013 - 03:09 AM

Stopped right there.

First of all, i didn't say anyone was smarter than the Lakers. I said that i think it's frustrating to see the Lakers make either Einstein-brilliant moves or moves that just doesn't make sense. One day we land Gasol for Kwame, the next we chose MDA over PJ and in between we have radio-silence. That's frustrating.

OKC, like San Antonio and Houston, consistenly make smart decisions and you can see a sense of direction and purpose in their choices. I also like that they incorporate advanced stats in their thought process.

Also, Sam Presti is widely considered among the best GMs in basketball. He managed to draft Durant, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka over 3 years and while he probably regrets the Harden trade today i think it probably was the right decision at the time, with the knowledge they had and with the finansial limitations they had.

#542 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,190 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 20, 2013 - 05:06 AM

Not every move needs to made to appease any and everybody and not every move is a good move.
Posted Image

#543 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,696 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 20, 2013 - 06:20 AM

First of all, i didn't say anyone was smarter than the Lakers. I said that i think it's frustrating to see the Lakers make either Einstein-brilliant moves or moves that just doesn't make sense. One day we land Gasol for Kwame, the next we chose MDA over PJ and in between we have radio-silence. That's frustrating.

OKC, like San Antonio and Houston, consistenly make smart decisions and you can see a sense of direction and purpose in their choices. I also like that they incorporate advanced stats in their thought process.

Also, Sam Presti is widely considered among the best GMs in basketball. He managed to draft Durant, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka over 3 years and while he probably regrets the Harden trade today i think it probably was the right decision at the time, with the knowledge they had and with the finansial limitations they had.

We just landed Nick Young, Wesley Johnson, Chris Kaman, Jordan Farmar, and possibly one more guy, going into an off-season armed with nothing more than the vets minimum and the mMLE.

OKC let James Harden walk because they refused to amnesty Perkins and just lost the guy they replaced him with in the very next off-season while not even managing to sign a scrub like Mike Miller....

There has been nothing "smart" about anything OKC has done for the last 2 years.

Letting Harden go wasn't the right decision.. to keep him ALL they had to do was amnesty Perkins...they refused to....  They ain't done a smart thing since Miami beat them.

Edited by Majesty, August 20, 2013 - 06:21 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#544 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 20, 2013 - 07:13 PM

Houston? Sense of direction and purpose?

Since 2000, they have missed the playoffs 8 times, been eliminated in the first round 5 times, and have won just one series.  I would definitely not put them in the conversation with OKC and SA when it comes to the front office discussion, hell they just made a mistake getting Jeremy Lin last season.

OKC and SA both have excellent scouting departments, that's where they separate themselves.  Every front office comes with its flaws, so don't act like the Lakers are the only ones to make bad decisions.  Sometimes you need to take chances and sometimes it's not going to go your way. 

#545 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,469 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 02:07 AM

They hired Daryl Morey in '07 and ever since, they've been extremely well managed and have managed to rebuild on the fly, despite losing Yao Ming and T-Mac. They are really good with the advanced stats, they stack assets, they do well in the draft and now it seems like it paid off. 

I'm not saying that the Lakers aren't well managed.

I just think it's frustrating not to have any idea on the direction we're going and i we could improve on the advanced stats.

• 40,395 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 02:53 AM

OKC and SA both have excellent scouting departments, that's where they separate themselves.

Sure looks like OKC dropped the ball in that department this year though with the drafting of Steven Adams. Granted it wasn't a particularly deep draft anyway, but Steven Adams? Really? They couldn't have done better now?

yo.

#547 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 05:28 PM

Sure looks like OKC dropped the ball in that department this year though with the drafting of Steven Adams. Granted it wasn't a particularly deep draft anyway, but Steven Adams? Really? They couldn't have done better now?

I think it's early to be critical of Adams when he hasn't played one minute in the NBA.  He's a project player but he is a 7'0 and you cannot teach size.  Most, if not all mock drafts had Adams going in the lottery so it wasn't a surprise pick.  I thought the Thunder should have went with Olynyk personally.

#548 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,854 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 23, 2013 - 10:17 PM

They hired Daryl Morey in '07 and ever since, they've been extremely well managed and have managed to rebuild on the fly, despite losing Yao Ming and T-Mac. They are really good with the advanced stats, they stack assets, they do well in the draft and now it seems like it paid off. 

I'm not saying that the Lakers aren't well managed.

I just think it's frustrating not to have any idea on the direction we're going and i we could improve on the advanced stats.

Jim Buss is actually into advanced stats quite a bit. Let's see what Sacre, Young,Johnson and these guys look like over the long haul odf 82 games

#549 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,579 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted August 28, 2013 - 12:37 PM

Lakers have 3 spots open on the roster. Still need to sign a back up PF, and 3rd string SG and SF. Don't know if Elias and Ryan can get the job done at PF. Lamar might not get signed. Mitch should call and give a camp invite to Drew Gooden, Tyrus Thomas, Linas Kleiza Craig Smith and Yi Jianlian. Maybe Mitch should give Corey Maggette a call to fill that SF role since he says he's willing to take a pay cut. Other SF's left are Al Thornton, DeShawn Stevenson and Terrence Williams. Best SG's available are Richard Hamilton, Rashad McCants, Delonte West and Daniel Gibson.

#550 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,237 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted August 28, 2013 - 02:01 PM

We need a bigger athletic SF, and another PF. We're already set at SG with Kobe, Meeks, Wes, Young, and even Blake.

#551 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,696 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 02:06 PM

Lakers have 3 spots open on the roster. Still need to sign a back up PF, and 3rd string SG and SF. Don't know if Elias and Ryan can get the job done at PF. Lamar might not get signed. Mitch should call and give a camp invite to Drew Gooden, Tyrus Thomas, Linas Kleiza Craig Smith and Yi Jianlian. Maybe Mitch should give Corey Maggette a call to fill that SF role since he says he's willing to take a pay cut. Other SF's left are Al Thornton, DeShawn Stevenson and Terrence Williams. Best SG's available are Richard Hamilton, Rashad McCants, Delonte West and Daniel Gibson.

Let's see

Steve Nash
Kobe Bryant
Wesley Johnson
Jordan Hill
Pau Gasol
Steve Blake
Jordan Farmar
Nick Young
Jodie Meeks
Elias Harris
Ryan Kelly
Chris Kaman
Robert Sacre

That's 13. So I'd say there's 2 spots open as they're likely signing Kelly.

And since the Lakers like to have 14 roster spots filled instead of 15 there's really one spot open.

#552 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,854 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 07:32 PM

Nash-Kobe-Wes johnson-Hill-Pau

Blake-Meeks-Young--Kaman

Farmar-Stevenson- Maggette Drew Gooden.

to me, that team is capable of being dallas 2011

#553 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,696 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 08:01 PM

Nash-Kobe-Wes johnson-Hill-Pau

Blake-Meeks-Young--Kaman

Farmar-Stevenson- Maggette Drew Gooden.

to me, that team is capable of being dallas 2011

the honest to goodness truth is a lot of it stems from the hatred of our coach more so than the roster itself in SOME aspects.

Look at our roster right now.

make our coach Phil Jackson.

I'm willing to bet we'll be called a championship contender and our bench of Steve Blake/Farmar, Nick Young, Chris Kaman, potentially Jordan Hill and or Wesley Johnson, Harris, Kelly etc was the deepest bench the Lakers have had in the last decade and how Pau in his natural position will bring the absolute best out of everyone and how we're deepest at every position we have age in.

That the front office made the "perfect" moves, and how all we have to do is stay healthy and we're a top 2-3 team in the west.

Everyone talks about how terrible our defense is gonna be this year but they never bring it up when the Clippers got a defensive coach and yet signed Redick, Dudley and Jamison, and still have got no post presence.

The Clippers have loaded their team with no defenders, and 3 point shooters with a coach that believes in interior attacking and defense... but that's fine apparently.  

The Lakers fill out their spots smartly and load up in the areas that we have the most age and the complaint is "They are gonna score but they have NO defense!!"  

Its funny really.   But we'll see how this all goes. 

I guess Chris Paul is the be all and end all despite the fact Deandre still can't make free throws, Blake can't make a jump shot unless he has 20 seconds to prepare and has no post game, and the Clippers still have no player outside of Crawford that can get their own shot without Paul force feeding them and their defense hasn't gotten any better and if anything has gotten worse given their roster moves.

But its fine I guess.

#554 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,854 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 09:28 PM

I can't remember precisely what he said, but he didn't like dealing with all the "unnecessary nonsense." He was gone before he got here, let's face it. Everything you say in your post is probably true, but the bottom line is that just like Dwight Howard, he was never a Laker and just passing through. The Lakers were rivals for the better part of his career and then 5 games into the season the "unnecessary nonsense" started and simply never let up in his mind. I have no idea how effective he will be playing for Doc, but he definitely showed that he was an effective player (on offense) in big minutes and a liability when he played shorter sporadic minutes. Let's see what he does averaging 10-15 mpg a year older.

As for the Clippsterns, pardon me if I'm not as wowed as the rest of the so-called experts. Is Jared Dudley an upgrade over Caron Butler at the small forward position? I like JJ Reddick the starting shooting guard position and can see how he'll be a good fit, but does he make THAT much of a difference? Meanwhile, I dare say that Darren Collison is a downgrade as the back up point guard (never mind Bledsoe's energy) and I think Matt Barnes and Jamal Crawford had CAREER seasons last season and see them slipping a bit. Don't forget the positive locker influences of Chauncey Billups, Lamar Odom and Ronny Turiaf, too. The Clippsterns arguably had the best bench in the league and now it will have a new chemistry. Let's see if Doc's as great as advertised.

From an intelligent NBA fan on the Clippers

Edited by BasketballIQ, August 28, 2013 - 09:29 PM.

#555 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 07:59 AM

I agree with most of that except that Crawford had a "career season".  He was good last year but he's had far better seasons in his career.  He'll give the Clippers one more good season then he'll start to decline at age 34. 

#556 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,854 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 07:58 PM

I would say Crawford has had better seasons in lesser rtoles. I think he played better as well as a Hawk, but it seemed like him and Joe clashed at times. In NY, he was great, they sucked. He had some Mamba in him as a Knick though, or rather whatever that tough, hungry part of Kobe had. Iverson had it, even young Baron davis had it. Nate has it.

#557 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,469 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 10:12 PM

I agree with most of that except that Crawford had a "career season".  He was good last year but he's had far better seasons in his career.  He'll give the Clippers one more good season then he'll start to decline at age 34. 

True. I think the difference is, that his skills really complemented what the Clippers needed. In earlier seasons, he may have played better, but his impact on the team's success wasn't as good.

A bit similar to this:

Big year ahead for Bayless? in.gif
August, 29, 2013
Aug 29
2:53
PM ET
By Joe Kaiser | ESPN.com

mem.gif
Statistically speaking, last season wasn't the finest Jerryd Bayless has had in his five NBA seasons. In fact, his PER of 13.51 was his lowest since his rookie season in 2008-09. But as strange as it sounds, last season still in some ways served as somewhat of a breakout for Bayless.

For the first time in his young career, the point guard carved out a real solid niche on a winning team. Coming off the bench behind Mike Conley, Bayless proved his value as a scorer, 3-point shooter and secondary distributor. And there's reason to believe he could play an even bigger role in Memphis next season.

Edited by DanishLakerFan, August 29, 2013 - 10:33 PM.

#558 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,579 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 01:10 PM

Grizzlies Waive Fab Melo

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 3m

Memphis has waived center Fab Melo, league source tells Y! Sports.

https://twitter.com/...551884407033856

#559 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,579 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 01:13 PM

Raptors Waive Quentin Richardson

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 4m

Toronto has waived Quentin Richardson, league source tells Y! Sports.

https://twitter.com/...552296023437314

#560 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,469 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 11:54 PM

We still have a massive hole at the PF position.

Why are we looking at 35year old Pete Mickael, when Lamar Odom, Tyrus Thomas, Lou Amundson and perhaps Michael Beasley is out there??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users