Photo

Phil Jackson Watch: Phil's end game is the Lakers (Pg. 7)

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#141 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,672 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 22, 2013 - 10:31 AM

Fido are you Max Kellerman from 710 espn?. He's been saying that for a minute now. Lol

But I agree with you. Phil knows what this team needs, how it should be coached.
Posted Image

#142 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,194 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 22, 2013 - 12:18 PM

Solution:

Jim Buss gets his nose out of personnel and learn how to be an owner like his Dad. Hire the right people and let them do their job.

Mitch maintains his GM position with PHil coming in as an "advisor".

Hire Brian Shaw as coach and all problems solved.

Of course, th giant hitch is Jim Buss learning how to be an owner which is doubtful.

Jim buss probally needs to get his nose out of something....

Lakers need Phil and West back...

#143 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,672 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted May 22, 2013 - 12:39 PM

If the Lakers fired both Mitch and MDA, would you be cool with it if they bring in Phil and West
Posted Image

#144 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,175 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted May 22, 2013 - 12:53 PM

Yes

Pau Gasol is GONE

#145 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted May 22, 2013 - 12:58 PM

I would be OK with firing both Mitch and MDA if it meant West and Jackson.  West is a better GM than Kupchak.  Lets be real. Kupchak gets us the star players, but our supporting core is worthless. As someone who runs a business and has advised others on management situations, my professional opinion would be:

Jim - take ownership role of Jerry - final say, but removed from day to day and spotlight

Jeanie - remain in current role - work on getting the fans and the core of the business straightened out

Jerry West - takeover as VP of bball operations

Mitch Kupchak - remain GM 

Phil - Coach for 2 years with hard plan for replacement - transition into advisory role with minority shareholder plan attached

Magic - come back as minority owner with some sort of equity that stipulates right to vote 

So essentially you have the following advisory ladder:

Jim

^^^

Jerry West

^^^

Mitch - Phil - Magic - Jeanie

^^^

Coach (put in place by Phil)

^^^
Assistant Staff

If the Buss family has 65% of the Lakers, sell 5% to Phil, 5% to Magic, and just flatout hire back Jerry West. It is a longshot, but what else are you supposed to do when the man you are trying to emulate is the great Jerry Buss.  You have to put together an all star squad in management just to try and come close to Jerry Buss. 

#146 WWBD

WWBD

Rookie

• 96 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 01:01 PM

Why would Jim ever give up ANY power - to his sister, to Jerry West, to Phil Jackson? He's an idiot and thinks he's what's best for the organization.

#147 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted May 22, 2013 - 01:02 PM

Why would Jim ever give up ANY power - to his sister, to Jerry West, to Phil Jackson? He's an idiot and thinks he's what's best for the organization.

If season ticket holders start paying less on average, Jeanie has some ability as governor to step in as it begins affecting the bottom line and health of organization. 

#148 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,175 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 01:04 PM

"Choosing a head coach based on what might work best for an aging point guard, instead of what might work best for your young stud big man, was pure stupidity! Young Buss will destroy this once proud franchise before he's done."

ESPN comment

Pau Gasol is GONE

#149 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted May 22, 2013 - 01:09 PM

Wait I'm confused? He's gonna coach or he's gonna try to gain power in the FO and help mentor the team?

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#150 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,869 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted May 22, 2013 - 01:26 PM

HA! No Franklin, not Kellerman.

Not listening to the radio. I'm actually working a show right now and on my iPad reading everything coming down the pike and just thought that would be the way to fix this mess.

#151 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 22, 2013 - 02:06 PM

What a hypocrite Phil is. Its not like Bynum and Pau played any better together? SMH

Edited by MDI, May 22, 2013 - 02:06 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#152 WWBD

WWBD

Rookie

• 96 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 02:20 PM

He's a hypocrite for believing he knows how to use post players better than MDA?  He won two championships with those two, FYI.  

#153 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 39,992 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 22, 2013 - 02:32 PM

He's a hypocrite for believing he knows how to use post players better than MDA?  He won two championships with those two, FYI.  

How much was Bynum "really" a part of those two championships?   Our main center during most of that time was Pau if I'm not mistaken, and Bynum played key minutes even if at small spurts, but we never tried to judiciously run through both of them at the same time.

It DID work the second year, before Bynum went down and we had to go back to Pau being our main center again. 

But most of the time we were running it through the Kobe Pau 1 to 5 two man game.

The one year we tried to run it through both Gasol and Bynum where Bynum was healthy most of the season and tried to make him a focal point of what we wanted to do and pushing Pau to the third option was the year we got swept by Dallas.

But that's not to say it wasn't effective as we finished the season on an 18-1 run which proved it COULD be effective in a way.  But I remember that season being a bit of a struggle regardless and we had "light switch" mentality, but we also didn't have a healthy Kobe.

Edited by Majesty, May 22, 2013 - 02:33 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#154 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 02:33 PM

I didnt know we won a title because of Bynum. Thats news to me. He barely played 20 mins a game. It was LO/Pau mostly

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#155 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted May 22, 2013 - 02:36 PM

Late to the party. but:

He basically confirmed that he had interest in coaching the Lakers when Mike Brown was fired. I had theory that he was only interested in getting a FO position with the team when he talked to them since that's the only thing he's been interested in since.

No excuse for that if you're the Lakers' FO.

Posted Image

#156 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 02:42 PM

- Phil took a few days to answer...that hesitation cost him

- A few reports out that Phil didn't want to travel on the road

- If you hire Phil you have to learn the triangle...we just saw what happened when our guys tried to learn a structured offense like the Princeton, it blew up in their faces since guys were not healthy and they were not available in games/practices what not

Edited by MDI, May 22, 2013 - 02:43 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#157 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted May 22, 2013 - 02:50 PM

- If you hire Phil you have to learn the triangle...we just saw what happened when our guys tried to learn a structured offense like the Princeton, it blew up in their faces since guys were not healthy and they were not available in games/practices what not

- You don't rush coaching decisions, especially if you're going to have to give him a long term contract like they ended up doing with MDA. They should've let Bickerstaff continue to coach the team. Teams regularly wait a lot longer before hiring another permanent head coach.

- I think there were also reports later on about him ultimately being able to do so if he were hired.

- You have to learn new systems whoever the new coach is. Phil is a smart guy, he would've been able to adjust and slowly bring them along. He's never missed the playoffs with any team he coached the entire season.

Posted Image

#158 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 39,992 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 22, 2013 - 02:54 PM

I guess the biggest question would have been what would our record have been throughout the rest of the month till mid December when Nash came back.  The triangle would have made Morris and Duhon our primary off-ball shooters, the question is how reliable they would have been. 
      Obviously Phil was confident that Nash, Kobe, Pau and Dwight would get the triangle down.  But what of their bench?  Would Meeks have understood it?  He doesn't have the finishing ability of a Shannon Brown so if we ran a lineup of Duhon and Meeks how would that work? How would they adjust. Would they adjust? When Nash got back how long would it take to get everything down.  

I think there is struggle regardless, but at least the Triangle isn't THAT far from the Princeton so their learning curve may have been a little less as it is a more simplified version of what Mike Brown was trying to teach them.  But considering everyone struggled with the Princeton that wasn't named Kobe, Dwight and Pau.   I think that's the biggest question.    I think we finish with a better record regardless but there still would have been a struggling period, probably longer than some would acknowledge but I think it would be there.

What I'm sure about though is a more structured offense and finishing the season with a better record.
Now if we got to the end of the season and the only people understanding the triangle were Kobe, Pau Dwight and Blake, then I'd have been worried.  Bigger question is whether Earl Clark would have stayed buried on the bench.

All and all I think we finish with a better record and have more to build on style wise in the off-season in the case we fall short in the playoffs which we likely would have in the 2nd or 3rd round.  Our season was one loss from NOT making the playoffs so the margin of error is very small considering our late season necessary run.

That end of December till mid January time period of "Nash ball" where our record suffered because of it was one of the MAIN reasons we had to make that late season run.   So I guess I'd have to ask if we would have struggled to a similar record while trying to adjust non injured players and new players into the triangle.   In my opinion, not as badly, because Mike Brown already implemented triangle into our offense so Phil would be simplifying it.

Edited by Majesty, May 22, 2013 - 02:56 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#159 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 04:05 PM

Phil Jackson won titles with his Triangle Offense.  His principles are opposite of that of D'Antoni's system.  You can say that Bynum/Pau weren't great together which is true to an extent because of Bynum's injuries, but the triangle ran well with Pau at center and Odom at power forward.  That led us to three straight NBA Finals appearances, including two titles.  Phil's not a hypocrite because his offense has won more than any other coach in NBA history. 

I think it's safe to say that a majority of the fan base saw that Dwight and Gasol were not used correctly together.  Right after being hired, D'Antoni said himself that he didn't like to post the ball and that two bigs could not play side by side in an offense, which was false because the Triangle proved otherwise.

As for Phil's hesitation, yes it did hurt him but was it fair? At the meeting with Jim & Mitch, Phil told them he needed a few days to let them know his decision and said he would have an answer by Monday at the latest.  For me, it would have been different had Monday come and Phil said he wanted a few more days.  Instead he gets a phone call at midnight saying he didn't get the job.  I'll still never understand why they could not wait a few more hours to hear his decision.

Yes players would need to learn the triangle offense, but with players such as Kobe and Pau, the team can pick it up a lot quicker.  In 1999, Phil Jackson came aboard and while that team had to learn the triangle, they still were 34-10 in their first 44 games, finished 67-15, and won an NBA title.  What makes Phil Jackson the best at what he does is he defines roles for players from the get go.  At times this year we had games late in the season where players still looked lost, that doesn't happen under Phil Jackson.

#160 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,175 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 04:37 PM

Listen to West Coast people

Edited by Windu, May 22, 2013 - 04:38 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users