Photo

Phil Jackson Watch: Phil's end game is the Lakers (Pg. 7)

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#121 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,245 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 04:13 PM

What about John Calipari or Pitino?  

I am not a fan of a college coach coming to the NBA and having the same success as he did in college. That is just my opinion.

Other candidates I would like are Brian Shaw  and Mike Budenholzer (Spurs).

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

• 40,603 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 04:20 PM

Other candidates I would like are Brian Shaw  and Mike Budenholzer (Spurs).

No. Enough with the Mikes. Haven't we learned already?

yo.

#123 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,062 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 21, 2013 - 04:23 PM

What you would need is a coach that understands how to use post players and play point guards off ball while letting someone else run the offense.

In all honesty Bickerstaff DID understand this but he's not going to "head coach" anymore.

So you'd need to find a coach with the style that fits the personnel but also a coach who can demand the respect of the locker room.

Remember Phil said that the 67 win season that he had in his first year with the Lakers STILL wasn't enough to get them to buy into what he was selling. 

It wasn't until they had the comeback against the Trailblazers that they finally started "really" buying into it.

Given our lineup of players I think their inflated ego last year would have made trouble for any coach.  Hopefully should Dwight return they'll be a little more humbled and not see a championship as a forgone conclusion.

Meeks only signed here because he expected to be carried to a championship, that's why when he was asked to do more then he intended, he was unprepared.

We won't have that mentality this year luckily.

So hopefully they'll be willing to listen more.

All and all I'd like to have a princeton or triangle based coach if Mike D'antoni is let go. 

Strictly because if we'd stayed with the Princeton and Kobe had already talked Mike Brown into simplifying it, by December we'd be more or less running the triangle. 

Adelman is likely retiring to help his family.  And Shaw is the only other guy that is a triangle or Princeton pundit.    The only other person would be Phil.  But you don't know where he stands till the first day of training camp.

Also, we could have gone after Stan Van Gundy because of his understanding of the 4 out 1 in offense, but he isn't coaching this year.

The more I think about it the more I settle into the reality that D'antoni is remaining. 

That is unless Dwight, or Kobe, or Nash.

For the record, Nash was the FIRST guy that had problems with hiring D'antoni, he said on the first day he didn't think he was the perfect guy for the job, and midway through the season he said "I think people see now he wasn't the perfect for the job"  

Nash doesn't want to run a heavy pick and roll style where he has to run the team.   Dwight wants the spacing to be improved so he can move in the post.   Kobe just wants the core to be brought back.

So in reality, not looking at rookies or college coaches that barely win at the pro level anyway.

What coaches have a style, both on and off the court that fits our team as built to run the most effective offense possible? Aside from Phil and Shaw.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#124 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,913 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 21, 2013 - 04:53 PM

I would love it if we could somehow get Hollins from the Grizzlies.

Preaches defense and pounding the ball inside. This is what we need.

"No Justice. No Peace. Jail the Racist Police!"

#125 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,062 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 04:55 PM

I would love it if we could somehow get Hollins from the Grizzlies.

Preaches defense and pounding the ball inside. This is what we need.

too successful unfortunately but that is a nice decision, the question is would we have the wing defenders required to play the kind of defense he preaches.

#126 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,270 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted May 21, 2013 - 04:56 PM

Lol really guys? Don't you know that Phil had to say that? If he says yes and he does get a job then he looks like a fool. Just like the clippers were going to keep del negro and they didnt.

Edited by MrKnowItAll, May 21, 2013 - 04:56 PM.

#127 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,913 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 21, 2013 - 05:08 PM

too successful unfortunately but that is a nice decision, the question is would we have the wing defenders required to play the kind of defense he preaches.

Thats where Mitch needs to work his magic.....but still with a good defensive scheme, we can be good defensive team with average wing defenders if we still have Dwight. Look at the Magic, pretty good defensive team but didn't have that great of wing defenders.

"No Justice. No Peace. Jail the Racist Police!"

#128 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,062 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 05:51 PM

Phil Jackson worried about the Heat which figured into his "two day mulling period"?  

@KevinDing

If not for the Heat's imposing presence, Phil might be Lakers coach now. He told @dpshow the prospect of losing ...

to the Heat in the 2013 NBA Finals was a factor in that two-day November stretch when he mulled replacing Mike Brown -- before the Lakers surprised Jackson by signing Mike D'Antoni before Jackson could decide.

"I felt like they (Kobe & Co.) were schooled well enough in the offensive system that I ran so that they could really play, step right in and play. And I felt it would be pretty easy for Nash and for Howard to learn the system. It's an easy system to learn. But I never had a feeling like, 'This is the right thing to do. It must be done.'

"And I told Jeanie at one point when I went in to talk to her about it, 'I think maybe we can get out of the Western Conference; we're a good enough team. That's a talented enough team. But boy, I'd sure hate to lose in the Finals again. That's something I have to start thinking about -- how one has to beat Miami.' "

In response to Dan Patrick's direct question, "Were out offered the Lakers' job?" Jackson said: "That would be yes to the question, because it was proposed to me without any hesitation. But I was not being sold on the job. They wanted to hear me out; I wanted to hear them out as to why they were doing what they were doing and what their rationale was. I felt there wasn't a whole lot of subterfuge, any acting or any kind of pretense behind it, so I felt they were pretty honest with me."

Jackson said he didn't think D'Antoni would be hired given he'd just had knee-replacement surgery. Here's my OC Register column from November detailing how jilting Jackson went down (free): http://www.ocregister....

Here's some video of Jackson in studio on "The Dan Patrick Show" this morning, the day his book "Eleven Rings" comes out:
Watch at Youtube ›

Honestly I wouldn't have worried about the Heat, if we were running the triangle. 

I'm guessing Phil was more worried about our bench as opposed to our starting lineup as he felt Kobe Pau Dwight and Nash would get it.   

I'm guessing he was worried about our bench.

Edited by Majesty, May 21, 2013 - 05:52 PM.

#129 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,469 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 21, 2013 - 08:04 PM

Larry Brown

Dwight=Ben Wallace with better offense

Pau=a different version of Rasheed

?=Tay Prince

Kobe=Rip Hamilton, though not a great off the ball player, Kobe could come off staggered screens for mid range jumpers, especially in that 14-17  ft range

Nash=Different type of Billups

Or Jerry Sloan

But D'Antoni should get to start a season the way MB did, but without Phil, I don;t see any go-to Head coaches. Maybe Brian Shaw has learned enough NOW to be a good head coach, but even he would be shaky to me.

#130 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,062 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 03:46 AM

phil-jackson7.jpg?w=400&h=225

Phil Jackson‘s name is coming up a lot lately. The former Bulls and Lakers coach was linked to management positions in Toronto and Seattle, and with all due respect to Jerry Sloan and Stan Van Gundy, Jackson remains the hottest ex-coach on the market.

All these nibbles from lesser franchises may come with a bigger goal in mind. Despite Jackson saying on “The Tonight Show” that he and Chris Hansen‘s Seattle group were in “serious talk” for him to take over basketball control of the Kings franchise before the NBA blocked the move, ESPN’s Marc Stein reports that Jackson’s end game is — and always has been — the Lakers.

Read more HERE:

And here's something else as I don't want to make two threads

The Toronto Raptors thought they had a good thing going when NBA legend Phil Jackson was attached to their team, but it turns out they may have just been a pawn in Jackson’s game to secure a top job with the Los Angeles Lakers. According to ESPN’s Marc Stein, the former Lakers coach apparently had little interest in the Raptors job and was “in no rush” to move into a position of power there.

That’s likely because Jackson is making a power play to move into a position of power with the Los Angeles Lakers and the parts are already moving in that direction.

THIS CAN BE READ ABOUT HERE!

Thoughts?

Edited by Majesty, May 22, 2013 - 03:49 AM.

#131 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,350 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted May 22, 2013 - 04:03 AM

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh here we  gooooooooooooooooooooooooooo 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#132 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted May 22, 2013 - 04:29 AM

lmao at these kind of articles. People just dont want to believe hes done.

If anything hes angling to own a piece of the Lakers. Not coach them.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#133 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,120 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted May 22, 2013 - 04:35 AM

He clearly wants to be active, as evidenced by what he said was offered to him in Seattle.  The beauty of the Seattle situation, is that he can say whatever he wants about it now, because it's never going to happen.

Yesterday on DP, he basically said that Dwight should leave LA because/if the Lakers aren't going to use him properly.

He's been working this + Dwight angle for several months now.  Of course he's interested in the Lakers.  Even going back to 2005, he hung out at the Lakers training facility all spring, and even did an on-air interview with ABC from the facility during the NBA Finals.  But still, people pondered aloud:  "Will Phil Jackson come back to coach the Lakers?"

This is not quite the same, but I am simply pointing out that if/when PJ does come back to LA in some capacity, all the signs will have been there.

* Also, PJ was clear yesterdady:  He was offered the Lakers job.  He also said that there was no subterfuge involved.  He did, however, jab a bit at the D'Antoni decision by saying that he didn't know that MDA was being considered (but let's face it, with Nash on board and Kobe's supposed childhood love affair with MDA, we all knew MDA was on the list).  This was Phil's way of letting it be known that the Lakers hired a guy who never should've been considered for the job. 

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#134 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,371 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted May 22, 2013 - 05:39 AM

its obvious what he wants & what the media is making people believe. D12 better off leaving La for Rox if PJ is not the head coach of Lakers. this is the angle now & will get worse as summer continues.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#135 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 22, 2013 - 08:01 AM

RT @MikeAndMike: "It was humorous... when Mitch (Kupchak) said that Mike (D'Antoni) was a better coach for these guys than me" - @PhilJackson11

Phil is doing work through the media. Highly entertaining.

#136 WWBD

WWBD

Rookie

• 96 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 09:05 AM

Hell, if I were Dwight, I'D leave the lakers for the rockets.  the ONLY thing that would convince me to stay would be Phil being here.

#137 Scooter123

Scooter123

Rookie

• 322 posts
  • Fan Since:1966
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted May 22, 2013 - 09:23 AM

The Lakers will not change coaches, will not amnesty Kobe.  Our GM made this quite clear.  If you guys want to entertain yourselves with possible coaches, might as well go back to the Phil pipedream.   

Other than a few minor moves, I think the team you saw in April is the team we'll have in November. 

#138 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,489 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted May 22, 2013 - 09:51 AM

Phil is doing work through the media. Highly entertaining.

Lakers made a decision for a 39 years old Point Guard as for a 28 year old Center. Simple

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#139 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 22, 2013 - 09:55 AM

Phil on SportsCenter said he'd say no thanks if Clippers called him

#140 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 22, 2013 - 10:21 AM

Solution:

Jim Buss gets his nose out of personnel and learn how to be an owner like his Dad. Hire the right people and let them do their job.

Mitch maintains his GM position with PHil coming in as an "advisor".

Hire Brian Shaw as coach and all problems solved.

Of course, th giant hitch is Jim Buss learning how to be an owner which is doubtful.[/quote]Jim buss probally needs to get his nose out of something....

Lakers need Phil and West back...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users