Photo

Phil Jackson Watch: Phil's end game is the Lakers (Pg. 7)

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#101 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 21, 2013 - 10:07 AM

If we can't get phil, which I bet we could if Jim would just put aside his ego, then I would be more than satisfied with Brian Shaw ( who we should have hired in the first place).

Say goodbye to Brian Shaw because he most likely going to be the Piston's head coach before he comes to the lakers anytime soon.  I am not as positive as most lakers fans here thinking that Phil will be coach the lakers anytime soon. All I care about is to get rid of MDA. I rather have Byron Scott than MDA thats for sure.  MDA is the worst coach ever and the most over hyped coach ever.  I dont know who can still defend MDA except BasketbIQ on this forum.  There is no example of how MDA can be a good coach. A good coach should never change a players greatest assets.  What draw the line for me is when MDA actually said at the end of the season to the press that "Dwight needs to learn how to shoot jump shots"  WHAT?!  Next thing you know D12 will be shooting threes. 

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#102 Murdercassette

Murdercassette

Rap game Billy Mays

• 622 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 10:09 AM

I think he's really calling our bluff now...

Zen masters gon' zen

Posted Image

#103 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,391 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted May 21, 2013 - 10:49 AM

Hire a top college coach, wipe the roster and start clean. Acquisitions from the past wont help the future.

Were at a crossroads we haven't been at before:

1. Most of the roster is at retirement age

2. Our franchise player may never be the same

3. D12 is shopping around for a contender

Thats the trifecta of our reality. The sooner we start embracing our situation the sooner we move on.

And the fact that were over the cap and spend about $75 mill on 5-6 players alone screws us before we start. Theres no room to maneuver.

#104 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,065 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 21, 2013 - 10:57 AM

If LA won't even hire Phil Jackson, they're not gonna hire Brian Shaw.

Pau Gasol is GONE

• 40,395 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 11:20 AM

^ Hey, they hired Mike Brown & Mike D'Antoni, anything's possible right?

yo.

#106 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 21, 2013 - 11:21 AM

Now that VDN is gone from the Clippers, you'll hear the Phil 'talking' to the Clippers news over the next couple of weeks.  That could force the Lakers hand. 

#107 stillshining

stillshining

Rookie

• 332 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted May 21, 2013 - 11:37 AM

Now that VDN is gone from the Clippers, you'll hear the Phil 'talking' to the Clippers news over the next couple of weeks.  That could force the Lakers hand. 

Imagine the domino effect that could have, CP3 resigning.. Dwight realizing hes in the right place but just the wrong team. That'd be three guys that couldve been the core of the Lakers with Kobe just last year if everything went right

#108 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted May 21, 2013 - 11:39 AM

No. Donald Sterling will NEVER hire Phil Jackson. Lakers know it, Phil knows it.  Jim Buss is not a man to be pressured into by a team across the hall. He doesn't care what anyone thinks.

#109 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,065 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted May 21, 2013 - 11:43 AM

^ Hey, they hired Mike Brown & Mike D'Antoni, anything's possible right?

I mean Shaw comes from PJ's camp and the front office wants nothing to do with them.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#110 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 11:56 AM

No. Donald Sterling will NEVER hire Phil Jackson. Lakers know it, Phil knows it.  Jim Buss is not a man to be pressured into by a team across the hall. He doesn't care what anyone thinks.

I'm not worried about the Clippers hiring Phil.  I'm saying you will hear the news over the next two weeks linking the two. 

Phil would never coach the Clippers, that would be a slap in the face to Jeanie and the entire Buss family. 

#111 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,083 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted May 21, 2013 - 12:02 PM

if the right opportunity came along he'll coach no doubt in my mind 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#112 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,115 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 12:12 PM

There's not many "right" opportunities out there for Phil.  Are there a lot of opportunities out there? Ofcourse. Coaches getting fired left and right. But Phil is not just any coach who is willing to take any job. Crappy teams know they will never get Phil Jackson even if the owner give Phil full control. I know 27 teams in the NBA are willing to give Phil anything he wants to coach their team. There are probably 3 teams that will not bend over backwards for Phil and one of those three teams are the Lakers. The others are Miami and San Antonio. Unfornately the Lakers is the ONLY team Phil wants to be involved in really.

Edited by epicwolf, May 21, 2013 - 12:13 PM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#113 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted May 21, 2013 - 12:31 PM

I'm not worried about the Clippers hiring Phil.  I'm saying you will hear the news over the next two weeks linking the two. 

Phil would never coach the Clippers, that would be a slap in the face to Jeanie and the entire Buss family. 

Yeah I just meant that any "news" about Phil coaching the Clippers is going to be almost fraudulent considering the relationship (or lack thereof) between Sterling and Phil.  Which means all of this fake news that may or may not come out will not play into Lakers minds at all - thereby negating the fact that it could force anyone's hands.

#114 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,205 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted May 21, 2013 - 01:03 PM

he is just saying this to stop the bad teams from contacting him..

he doesn't want anything to do with the nets ....

he wants to run the seatle franchise, or be with the Lakers

#115 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,640 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 21, 2013 - 01:17 PM

Whether Phil means it or not, fans that want him to return will refuse to believe it until the season starts and he is or isn't on the bench and to be honest, fans that don't think he'll ever coach again still won't believe it till training camp begins and he is or isn't here.    It's like when Jordan retired and said he never was going to play again.  People refused to believe it, and then the day they finally believed it, boom he returned.

I believe him, I believe he means exactly what he says..... today...

But I like everyone else won't believe it 100% till training camp begins and he's still not the coach.

I think he means it that he'll never coach again.  He means it today.   What he means tomorrow remains to be seen. I don't think it's an elaborate plan to stop bad teams from contacting him as he could turn them down before they even get into the conversation with him like he's done with the Bobcats and the Raptors and the Nets.   

At the end of the day if Phil is going to coach the Lakers again he'll have to give up some ground on his demands to make that happen, and if he really does want to coach this team again he will.    I can almost guarantee you that if he lead us to a championship or to the finals his demands on a second contract could be a lot more demanding then the prior.

So let's say Phil signed a 2 year, and we make it to the finals in those two years, to re-sign Phil could demand more and that may be easier to negotiate.

But on this first contract he'd want, he can't demand the farm.   Cause Buss, nor Mitch is going to allow that to happen.    Honestly both sides would have to reach some sort of midground. 

One thing I'm 99.9 percent sure about was that even if Phil coached the Lakers again, he isn't yanking Brian Shaw from his assistant position from Indiana.  Shaw is trying to separate himself from that because it has turned into the reason teams aren't hiring him, it isn't JUST the Lakers that turned down Shaw its near every team that isn't bottom feeding.    For some reason other teams just don't like Phil or people associated with him.   And Brian Shaw wants to head coach, he desperately wants to head coach.  

So unless Brian was assured a head coaching job with the Lakers once Phil finally stepped away, I don't see Shaw leaving Indiana where he has a great relationship with the organization and with their future superstar Paul George, perhaps he feels he has something he can truly build there, and if the Pacers win the NBA Championship this year he's 100% staying.

Your bright side to that though is that even if we didn't get Shaw that Rambis is still available.

If you wonder why I've changed my stance on him never coaching "indefinitely" to never coaching "today"

It's because things are getting TOO coincidental.  He's basically on a national tour telling people he'll never coach again.   So it's too coincidental and too "Hollywood" for it not to be scripted.  So I'm skeptical now.

Edited by Majesty, May 21, 2013 - 01:33 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#116 Scooter123

Scooter123

Rookie

• 297 posts
  • Fan Since:1966
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted May 21, 2013 - 01:34 PM

We've known this for months.  Phil Jackson wasn't interested in coaching--period.  Time to win with the coach we have and the players we have, one cannot blame other now.  Time to fix it and win. 

#117 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,115 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 01:37 PM

Majesty is right on the money.  He hit on a lot of good points. One point is Brian Shaw leaving the Pacers and wanting to go away from Phil's shadow.  If I was Shaw, I would want to be away from Phil's shadow also.  Why would Shaw wants to leave the Pacers? Heck, they might beat the heat and win the championship right now. Funny how people don't give Frank Vogel any credit because last I check Shaw is now under Vogel "coaching tree."    Right now Brian Shaw is having a blast moving on to the playoffs. Why would he leave a good situation and be back under Phil Jackson again? I think the next step for Shaw is to be the head coach of another team and if Lakers hire Phil and Phil wants Shaw to be his assistant, I doubt Brian wants to anymore.Frank Vogel is now his leader not Phil.

And another point Majesty make that does make me think is this. How much sacrafice should the Lakers do just to hire Phil for two years? Yes Phil is a great coach. Probably the best coach to ever coach in any sports. But how much are you willing to sacafrice? We know Phil won't be coaching for more than 2 years. And why do fans keep on thinking that Phil wants to just coach? Maybe he realized his time has passed and just want to be in the front office? Or an advisor? Pat Riley was a great coach but he realized that coaching might not be good for him anymore. Maybe he realized the game has passed him by.  I hope Lakers fans doesn't think the Phil is the ONLY answer to bring this team back to prominent. Because if that is your thinking, the Lakers are in a lot of trouble than they are right now. Sometimes that 11 championship can blind people's reasons.

First thing first, fire MDA and get a coach that doesn't change how great players play their game just to fit his own system. I believe MDA is the only coach that does that and it is annoying

Edited by epicwolf, May 21, 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#118 KarlCalaguas12

KarlCalaguas12

Off The Bench

• 2,061 posts
  • Name:Karl
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted May 21, 2013 - 01:58 PM

Majesty and Epicwolf are absolutely correct!

Lakers fans are so into Phil Jackson that they think he is the "God" of NBA coaches. I understand he won 11 rings but at some point the Lakers have to move on from Phil Jackson. He is not getting younger also at some he really will retire from coaching. Now, if the Lakers hire Phil Jackson then I wouldn't be sad at all. I would welcome him back with full arms.

But, the Lakers management really need to find a coach for the future for the team. I understand the Lakers are a win now team but they also have to look in the future. If the Lakers often change their head coaches, then there wouldn't be any continuity or team cohesion at all. Also, free agents might be reluctant to sign with the Lakers if they know the coach would be fired at the end of the season.

So, in conclusion, Lakers should look at Phil and look for coaches that can lead this Lakers team into the the future!

#119 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,097 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 03:43 PM

If we are going to hire a new coach, and Phil is not possible, then I prefer if we go out and get a rookie coach. I am tired of hiring former coaches that have resigned or have been fired. I wouldn't mind interviewing Ettora Messina and see what he can bring to the table. We need new blood.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#120 WWBD

WWBD

Rookie

• 96 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 03:57 PM

What about John Calipari or Pitino?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users