Photo

Phil Jackson Watch: Phil's end game is the Lakers (Pg. 7)

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#81 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,093 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 13, 2013 - 05:08 PM

That's what I feel. Be the big boss and let your generals do the job. the Lakers will become the Raiders if this guy continues.
Posted Image

#82 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,767 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 13, 2013 - 07:37 PM

MDI has said everything I wanted to say only better.

Getting rid of MDA or not hiring him in the first place will not result / would not have resulted in much of a difference.  This team had entirely too many issues both on and off the court that made this season unsalvageable...and we have so many roster issues to address if we DO fire MDA / hire Phil that it won't be a quick fix either.

Phil is NOT the Messiah.  He's a better coach, granted...but it would take the Most High to coach this team into the NBA Finals as presently constructed.

The sooner people accept that, the less criticism MDA will get.  He gets a lot of respect from me for handling this season professionally and not imploding.  We have seen coaches WILT under LA's bright lights when the going gets tough (Rudy T).

And the going was PLENTY tough this year...so tough that people blame everything from the lack of defense (never been his forte, nor Phil's) and even INJURIES on MDA and he took it all.

MDA has his faults...but blaming him for this season?  No...not even in the realm of pseudo-logic.

#83 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,413 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 13, 2013 - 08:44 PM

MDI has said everything I wanted to say only better.

Getting rid of MDA or not hiring him in the first place will not result / would not have resulted in much of a difference.  This team had entirely too many issues both on and off the court that made this season unsalvageable...and we have so many roster issues to address if we DO fire MDA / hire Phil that it won't be a quick fix either.

Phil is NOT the Messiah.  He's a better coach, granted...but it would take the Most High to coach this team into the NBA Finals as presently constructed.

The sooner people accept that, the less criticism MDA will get.  He gets a lot of respect from me for handling this season professionally and not imploding.  We have seen coaches WILT under LA's bright lights when the going gets tough (Rudy T).

And the going was PLENTY tough this year...so tough that people blame everything from the lack of defense (never been his forte, nor Phil's) and even INJURIES on MDA and he took it all.

MDA has his faults...but blaming him for this season?  No...not even in the realm of pseudo-logic.

Kobe would have been much less likely to suffer the injury that he did  with Phil here.

#84 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,997 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 13, 2013 - 08:51 PM

Kobe would have been much less likely to suffer the injury that he did  with Phil here.

True, but even Phil can't deal with talent issues. 

He wouldn't have made Darius Morris and Chris Duhon better players, if anything Morris wouldn't have had any way of being effective in the triangle if you watch how he struggled with the Princeton. 

So that means we'd have had a lot of Duhon.

In hindsight we can say "we wouldn't be in that situation" but when you factor in for almost two months we had Darius Morris and Duhon coming in as our first and second options, they wouldn't have been made better players instantly. 

Dwight would still have not been 100%, Pau would still be looking through the laundry for his big boy pants.

Even Phil would have had problems dealing with all our injuries and even with Phil we probably finish the 6th seed instead of the 7th. 

That month and a half of Nash ball wouldn't have happened for sure so we'd have had a better record throughout January depending on how long it took everyone else to learn the triangle(because Blake still wouldn't have been back).   But realistically we'd only have finished the 6th seed under the best circumstances.

Injuries and lack of talent depth would have hurt Phil too.

We could say "if Phil has a lineup of Nash, Kobe, Metta, Pau and Howard we could win a championship."

The reality is Phil would have only had them for maybe 15 games this year.  

And because of his demands of power and position to come back, we'd probably have lost him this off-season and needed to restart all over again.  So if we didn't win the championship this season would have felt like MORE of a loss than it already has.

That's the most unfortunate reality actually. 

Edited by Majesty, May 13, 2013 - 08:53 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#85 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,010 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 13, 2013 - 08:58 PM

I'm not gonna get in another senseless debate over PJ's coaching prowess vs MDA. It's a [expletive]ing insult to the GOAT to even do so.

This franchise has the resiliency to bounce back from tough times. In this case, we'll bounce back from self-inflicted wounds sooner or later and hopefully we'll have finally learned our lesson.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#86 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,413 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 09:01 PM

True, but even Phil can't deal with talent issues. 

He wouldn't have made Darius Morris and Chris Duhon better players, if anything Morris wouldn't have had any way of being effective in the triangle if you watch how he struggled with the Princeton. 

So that means we'd have had a lot of Duhon.

In hindsight we can say "we wouldn't be in that situation" but when you factor in for almost two months we had Darius Morris and Duhon coming in as our first and second options, they wouldn't have been made better players instantly. 

Dwight would still have not been 100%, Pau would still be looking through the laundry for his big boy pants.

Even Phil would have had problems dealing with all our injuries and even with Phil we probably finish the 6th seed instead of the 7th. 

That month and a half of Nash ball wouldn't have happened for sure so we'd have had a better record throughout January depending on how long it took everyone else to learn the triangle(because Blake still wouldn't have been back).   But realistically we'd only have finished the 6th seed under the best circumstances.

Injuries and lack of talent depth would have hurt Phil too.

We could say "if Phil has a lineup of Nash, Kobe, Metta, Pau and Howard we could win a championship."

The reality is Phil would have only had them for maybe 15 games this year.  

And because of his demands of power and position to come back, we'd probably have lost him this off-season and needed to restart all over again.  So if we didn't win the championship this season would have felt like MORE of a loss than it already has.

That's the most unfortunate reality actually. 

Even with Phil we wouldn't win the the whole thing....I agree with that. But we would have finished off better than we did, and would have most likely advanced to the second round. Phil would be back with the lakers...he has his number one pick for a franchise player on his team.

#87 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,997 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 09:05 PM

Even with Phil we wouldn't win the the whole thing....I agree with that. But we would have finished off better than we did, and would have most likely advanced to the second round. Phil would be back with the lakers...he has his number one pick for a franchise player on his team.

Yes, we would have gone further.  But the thing is even injuries would have decimated this season, the ones that occurred before he even got here unfortunately.

We'd go further and finish with a better record but we probably don't get beyond the 2nd round, western conference finals at best imo.

But the worst part would be, that in the off-season, because of what Phil wants, he probably would demand that of Buss and Mitch to keep him around, like he's doing all around the league right now.   And he probably would have been turned down most likely, so we'd have lost him in the off-season.

That means we'd have to start next season with a new coach, a new restarting point, and a new system... again.. all while waiting to see if Dwight would re-sign under those conditions.

That's why I say the season would have felt like more of a loss than it already does and we'd probably be on worse pins and needles than we are now waiting for Dwight's decision.

#88 KarlCalaguas12

KarlCalaguas12

Off The Bench

• 2,041 posts
  • Name:Karl
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 13, 2013 - 09:23 PM

Majesty made great points! I don't think he is a D'Antoni supporter either (I might be wrong though). What he is trying to say is that even if the Lakers fire D'Antoni and hire Phil as the coach the Lakers wouldn't win a ring either. Yes, Phil would've done a lot better than D'Antoni but not enough to win a ring.

See, I'm not a D'Antoni fan supporter or fan. But, firing him just to hire Phil would be a bad move long term. My wish is for the Lakers to fire D'Antoni and hire someone who can lead this team for years to come. Remember, the Lakers management are not just looking at 2014, they are also looking beyond 2014. See, that's the reason I don't see D'Antoni or Phil as long term solution. If Phil was a lot younger, then I could see him coaching for many years.

The three coaches that I wouldn't mind coaching the Lakers are: Nate McMillan, Brian Shaw, and Byron Scott. These coaches are young and I think they could handle Superstar egos as well.

Edited by KarlCalaguas12, May 13, 2013 - 09:23 PM.

#89 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,050 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 14, 2013 - 10:23 AM

No idea. But its not that Phil wants to be the coach, he wants more.

But in any case Jim/Phil have 1 year to figure it out. And this was interesting

http://www.insidesoc...2010-11-season/

Jim should stick to cutting checks & let Mitch do this GM job. Same for Phil, sit on the bench and do your thing instead of asking for more power. Both have sacrifices to make and bot have reservations about the other

I laugh when I read this because it shows the land that most lakers fans live in. A land of butterflies and everything is black and white. A land of no drama and no egos. A land where people do what seems "right".   Reality check. Life is not about this. Sorry to be a synic on everything but if Jim is willing to just cut the check and Phil just be a coach then you probably don't heard of Phil and Jim buss for the first time in your life. . Phil Jackson was never just a coach. Even in Chicago.  He always need to have the power to do more than just coaching. And with that it will always have drama and struggles. Jim Buss is just doing what his dad asked him to do. His dad asked him to run the basketball operations not to just right checks and ignore whats going on with the team. I hope you dont go around thinking everyhing is peachy in life because it never is.  Thats how life is and thats how life works. Personalities tangled up. Drama occured.  It is how you deal with it and try to work around the drama what makes you become stronger. Not be ignorant in life thinking everything should be simple and happy joy joy..

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#90 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,485 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted May 14, 2013 - 10:30 AM

I laugh when I read this because it shows the land that most lakers fans live in. A land of butterflies and everything is black and white. A land of no drama and no egos. A land where people do what seems "right".   Reality check. Life is not about this. Sorry to be a synic on everything but if Jim is willing to just cut the check and Phil just be a coach then you probably don't heard of Phil and Jim buss for the first time in your life. . Phil Jackson was never just a coach. Even in Chicago.  He always need to have the power to do more than just coaching. And with that it will always have drama and struggles. Jim Buss is just doing what his dad asked him to do. His dad asked him to run the basketball operations not to just right checks and ignore whats going on with the team. I hope you dont go around thinking everyhing is peachy in life because it never is.  Thats how life is and thats how life works. Personalities tangled up. Drama occured.  It is how you deal with it and try to work around the drama what makes you become stronger. Not be ignorant in life thinking everything should be simple and happy joy joy..

are you trying to give a lecture about life in a PJ thread? lmaooooo :laughing:

bottom line. PJ is the goat and he should be part of the Lakers organization again.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#91 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,010 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 14, 2013 - 10:51 AM

Yeh I'm not entirely sure what that rant has to do with championship basketball

Pau Gasol is GONE

#92 Henny Loc

Henny Loc

Livin' Legend

• 703 posts
  • Name:LS3
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted May 15, 2013 - 08:40 PM

Im calling it right now, if Scott Brooks gets canned I see Phil Jackson coaching OKC....

#93 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,997 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 08:45 PM

Im calling it right now, if Scott Brooks gets canned I see Phil Jackson coaching OKC....

They aren't gonna give Phil the control he wants, they are a well established team, they aren't gonna hand over front office power to PJ with just coaching experience.   The only way that happens is if Phil rescinded his demands and was content with JUST coaching and at this stage in his career I don't think Phil wants to sacrifice that.    He'll want longevity and a Pat Riley position, I don't see OKC giving him that or the starting blocks for it.   Too established of a team imo. 

MAYBE the Bobcats would, because of the familiarity with Michael Jordan,  but from what I hear he isn't interested in the Bobcats.

#94 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,921 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 09:13 AM

http://sulia.com/cha...?source=twitter

If not for the Heat's imposing presence, Phil might be Lakers coach now. He told @dpshow the prospect of losing ...

to the Heat in the 2013 NBA Finals was a factor in that two-day November stretch when he mulled replacing Mike Brown -- before the Lakers surprised Jackson by signing Mike D'Antoni before Jackson could decide.

"I felt like they (Kobe & Co.) were schooled well enough in the offensive system that I ran so that they could really play, step right in and play. And I felt it would be pretty easy for Nash and for Howard to learn the system. It's an easy system to learn. But I never had a feeling like, 'This is the right thing to do. It must be done.'

"And I told Jeanie at one point when I went in to talk to her about it, 'I think maybe we can get out of the Western Conference; we're a good enough team. That's a talented enough team. But boy, I'd sure hate to lose in the Finals again. That's something I have to start thinking about -- how one has to beat Miami.' "

In response to Dan Patrick's direct question, "Were out offered the Lakers' job?" Jackson said: "That would be yes to the question, because it was proposed to me without any hesitation. But I was not being sold on the job. They wanted to hear me out; I wanted to hear them out as to why they were doing what they were doing and what their rationale was. I felt there wasn't a whole lot of subterfuge, any acting or any kind of pretense behind it, so I felt they were pretty honest with me."

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#95 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,921 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 09:14 AM

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#96 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,354 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 09:19 AM

:laughing:

I love it.  This off-season is going to be fun. 

#97 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,921 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 09:26 AM

11.50 mark of the 2nd video Dan Patrick asks him if he's done coaching, he says yes

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#98 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,413 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 09:51 AM

Time to go after Brian Shaw.

#99 Massacre