Photo

Phil Jackson Watch: Phil's end game is the Lakers (Pg. 7)

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#61 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,484 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted May 11, 2013 - 08:35 PM

http://espn.go.com/b...ting-on-seattle

must read article, don't feel like quoting.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#62 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,759 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 11, 2013 - 11:37 PM

POPULAR

It's sad to see so many people content with mediocrity. D'Antoni is the definition of mediocre. Hell, that might actually be overrating him.

#63 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,010 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 12, 2013 - 05:13 AM

Yeh

We suck and some people are simply in the "it is what it is" mode.

MDA bamboozled Buss

Pau Gasol is GONE

#64 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,041 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted May 12, 2013 - 02:58 PM

It's sad to see so many people content with mediocrity. D'Antoni is the definition of mediocre. Hell, that might actually be overrating him.

This team will be a older version of last year without Kobe Bryant for some portion of time. Very exited for that!

If you think about it, this team should easily be a lottery team next year. That would've happened this season without Kobe. Now, they're a year older and will be coming off of injuries.

Edited by Japago, May 12, 2013 - 03:01 PM.

Posted Image

#65 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,767 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 13, 2013 - 12:28 AM

This may be true but it's also sad to see so many people willing to judge a coach on circumstances he obviously could not control...and there is almost nothing you or anyone has complained about that could not be countered by the injury argument, lack of training camp and the coach's lack of roster/personnel input...

But ignore any evidence or logic that contradicts your argument.  Seems to be what Lakers fans have used as the definition of logical analysis this year...

#66 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,407 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 13, 2013 - 07:07 AM

This may be true but it's also sad to see so many people willing to judge a coach on circumstances he obviously could not control...and there is almost nothing you or anyone has complained about that could not be countered by the injury argument, lack of training camp and the coach's lack of roster/personnel input...

But ignore any evidence or logic that contradicts your argument.  Seems to be what Lakers fans have used as the definition of logical analysis this year...

So whats your excuses for MDA in NY?

#67 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,010 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 07:33 AM

Look at mda's coaching record the last five seasons.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#68 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,023 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted May 13, 2013 - 07:57 AM

I can't believe there are so many MDA supporters, My Goodness 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#69 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,045 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 13, 2013 - 09:02 AM

I can't believe there are so many MDA supporters, My Goodness 

I dont think they truely want to support MDA but they have to because reality is this. We are stuck with MDA weather you like it or not. And if you are a Lakers fan, might as well support the coach no matter how incompetant he really is. Even if he is one of the most over rated coach in the history of coach and get all the credit for having a couple of years success with a team that never win th title anyway.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#70 nikolatesla

nikolatesla

Rookie

• 390 posts
  • Name:Aykut
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted May 13, 2013 - 10:55 AM

Look at mda's coaching record the last five seasons.

He is 1-16 in his last 17 playoff games. That's 5 first round exits and a win. Impressive.

#71 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,921 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 11:06 AM

There are far too many issues on this team beyond Phil and MDA's control thats the point. We cant fire MDA, add Phil and everything will be ok. We still aren't a title contender due to the age on the roster and lack of reliable shooters. Fix that first and then we'll see

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#72 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,010 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 11:29 AM

Some people are just resigned to the illusion that nothing can be done. You don't leave a coach like MDA at the helm and simply hope for the best. The answer to the obvious coaching problem doesn't necessarily have to be Phil Jackson either; what's the worst that could happen as a result of firing MDA? Uh you lose MDA...devastating huh?

I don't get it...how long can MDA and Pau Gasol continually prove that they are subpar (being nice) at their respective professions before we get a clue?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#73 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,921 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 11:31 AM

^ its because they have tons of $ invested in him. Might as well get as much value out of them as possible.  Its about nickle and diming now that we probably wont contend for a title in 2013/2014....2014 huge opportunity to reload with role players, above average player and all stars avaiable. Not to mention 2014 will be probably the deepest draft ever the Lakers can get someone in the late teens who be a solid role player/rotation player for years to come (ala DFish)

The rules on constructing a roster has changed, you cant build title teams over night like before. They wrote the new CBA in such a manner that would make it harder for the Lakers to reload and rebuild

Edited by MDI, May 13, 2013 - 11:33 AM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#74 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,010 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 11:36 AM

Who's the coach in 2014

Pau Gasol is GONE

#75 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,025 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted May 13, 2013 - 11:45 AM

There's two issues, coaching and the roster. It's not like it's one or the other, and I'm pretty sure most of the people who want MDA out aren't saying the roster is perfect.

However, unless the Lakers magically resurrect the 2006 Suns team, we're not going anywhere with MDA at the helm, even if we fix the roster. Similarly, even if the Lakers hire Phil, they won't win unless they make some personnel changes. 

It's not one way or the other, but both areas need to be fixed if LA wants to contend again while Kobe is still in this league. 

#76 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,045 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 12:10 PM

Who's the coach in 2014

Byron Scott.   I'm putting my money on that.  

Forget Phil Jackson you guys. Don't you know Phil is just trolling us? He doesn't want to come back. He is doing all this because of his book coming out in a week or so. 

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#77 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,045 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 12:14 PM

Some people are just resigned to the illusion that nothing can be done. You don't leave a coach like MDA at the helm and simply hope for the best. The answer to the obvious coaching problem doesn't necessarily have to be Phil Jackson either; what's the worst that could happen as a result of firing MDA? Uh you lose MDA...devastating huh?

I don't get it...how long can MDA and Pau Gasol continually prove that they are subpar (being nice) at their respective professions before we get a clue?

Its not that the Lakers can't change coaches. Its that the Lakers don't want to be the team that changes coaches every year. Remember since 2010 the lakers have 4 coaches so far including Bernie Begerstaff. In the outside world, the league will say the Lakers are not a stable company keep on changing coaches. That is the MAIN reason why the lakers willing to keep MDA.  The second reason is they still paying him a lot of money and believe it or not but the lakers do care about money.  So for people who don't know why they still keep MDA those two is enough to keep him.  It has nothing to do with him being a good coach. Is it justifiable? To a fan no but to a business franchise yes.

#78 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,045 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 12:19 PM

There's two issues, coaching and the roster. It's not like it's one or the other, and I'm pretty sure most of the people who want MDA out aren't saying the roster is perfect.

However, unless the Lakers magically resurrect the 2006 Suns team, we're not going anywhere with MDA at the helm, even if we fix the roster. Similarly, even if the Lakers hire Phil, they won't win unless they make some personnel changes. 

It's not one way or the other, but both areas need to be fixed if LA wants to contend again while Kobe is still in this league. 

It needs to be fix but it cant be fix with the money issues we have.  One issue is roster. Ofcourse but how can you fix a roster when your hands are tied under this stupid CBA?  So that issue is dead.  Now for the second issue coach.  Yea sure get rid of MDA and eat the two year contract plus Mike Brown money plus all the assistants.  Ofcourse you guys dont care because its not your money but if I was the Lakers, I do. Unless you want the nose bleed section to be more expansive than it already is.  Willing to pay 800 bucks for nose bleed?  

This off season is the most over rated off season the Lakers ever had. Fans expect something huge to change like a change of coach or a change of roster.  Its not going to happen. None of it will happen!  Why? Because we are in the middle of a "two year plan" that the lakers had before they sign D12 and Nash.  The only thing huge will happen is D12 will come back. Other than that, get ready for the NFL training camp. 

#79 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,407 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 13, 2013 - 12:39 PM

If we can't get phil, which I bet we could if Jim would just put aside his ego, then I would be more than satisfied with Brian Shaw ( who we should have hired in the first place).

#80 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,921 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 03:01 PM

Who's the coach in 2014

No idea. But its not that Phil wants to be the coach, he wants more.

But in any case Jim/Phil have 1 year to figure it out. And this was interesting

http://www.insidesoc...2010-11-season/

After reading the entire book, it seems unlikely the Lakers will have much reaction toward Jackson’s revelations in the same fashion as his previous book, “The Last Season,” which he described Kobe Bryant as “uncoachable” during the 2003-04 year that ended in an NBA Finals loss to the Detroit Pistons. None of Jackson’s book touch on how the Lakers passed up his assistant Brian Shaw to replace him in favor of Mike Brown. Nor does Jackson go into his version on how the Lakers chose Mike D’Antoni over him this season after Brown’s firing despite Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak and vice president of player personnel Jim Buss meeting him at his Play del Rey residence. In fact, Jackson offers no criticisms in the book whatsoever toward Jim Buss.

Jim should stick to cutting checks & let Mitch do this GM job. Same for Phil, sit on the bench and do your thing instead of asking for more power. Both have sacrifices to make and bot have reservations about the other

I hope Mitch and Phil are on the same page...that 2011 Sasha trade was so stupid. We gave up an expiring contract + 1st round pick for a guy who was supposed to backup Pau and got no Playing time. SMDH

Edited by MDI, May 13, 2013 - 03:04 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users