Photo

Phil Jackson Watch: Phil's end game is the Lakers (Pg. 7)

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#41 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,432 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 10, 2013 - 09:02 PM

Inaccurate in my opinion..

D'Antoni wanted to play a system that neglected Pau early, but Pau was playing terrible, and I think it's due to injuries mostly.

When Dwight and Pau were healthy, they played effective, however, when the defenses adjust, you need effective perimeter players. When Kobe,Nash, and Blake and Meeks go down, its VERY easy to defend the post.

Let me teach you something though.

Offensively, our advantage lies in KOBE. He is the 2nd or 3rd best offense creator in the entire league and the numbers back that up

I know people don't really get the game, so I won't go into detail, but

I will not sugarcoat a thing. D'Antoni cost us about 5-7 games. Dwight cost us a few. Injuries cost us at least 6, where the personnel was not talented enough to compete with the other roster or the chemistry between the players were nonexistent because some guys NEVEr played together.

If you deny ANY of that, you can't even garner a response from me. KObe actually cost us 2 or 3 games, so you can chalk this season up to, Miami's TIME.

It's too hard for most sports fans to accept, but Jordan had a time, and Shaq had an era, Kobe had his, so lets not be fools here and let history repeat itself with no acknowledgement of what  is potentially unfolding.

I didn't say that our failures this season were ONLY on D'Antoni. Dwight struggled, Kobe had a couple games that hurt us, Nash wasn't playing at the efficiency he did in previous years, and above all, injuries just crippled this team.

All that I said is that certain coaches are better fits than others. D'Antoni's prime offense is one that is faster-paced and revolves around the perimeter. In fact, D'Antoni refers to his offense as more outside-in than inside-out.

Kobe is one of the greatest shot-creators of all time, no doubt. Kobe was able to bail this team out more times than should be humanly possible. The only thing is that he shouldn't have had to work as hard as he did with as many minutes.

Now, to D'Antoni's credit, he did adjust his offense to better suit the strengths of this team. He was able to get Pau the ball in deeper position rather than having him play around the perimeter. However, this team was forced to practically run a free-lance offense, so it is somewhat unclear whether these adjustments were D'Antoni's idea or the players.

#42 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,124 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 10, 2013 - 09:15 PM

There are A LOT of random joe Lakers fans. If he doesn't keep this ship a sail, we'll see how much he cares about that.

Despite the random joe Laker fans and people that hate on the internet Lakers games still sold out this season as did each playoff game even when Darius Morris and Andrew Goudelock were starting.

That shows you how much people that complain on twitter matter in the grand scheme of things.

As long as we're winning and as long as Staples Center still sells out every game like this season and the post seasoN(that's KNOWING that Kobe isn't going to play) then the twitter people will be but a spoke on the wheel.

That's why no twitter rant or 'media pressure' is going to budge Mitch OR Jim on hiring Phil.

The ONLY thing that is going to bring Phil here to coach is this.

The team starts losing, and losing a lot.

That's it.  

No twenty page forum thread, no twitter rant, no ESPN insiders, nothing is going to budge Jim or Mitch except losing.

Mitch has said it time and time again "It's about wins and losses"  as long as we're still winning, D'antoni is remaining.  That's as simple as it gets.

And that's all there is to it.   

There is nothing to peer inside or less black and white than that.   And there is no grand scheme that is going to bring Phil here.

It's as simple as this.

Mitch will make off-season moves.

If the Lakers start next season losing and losing a lot.

Mitch will fire D'antoni and Phil probably gets the job.

That's the only scenario.  

I'm not going to sit back and HOPE we lose just so that happens either.   Long as we're winning I don't care who the coach is.  All I care about as far as HE goes next season is that he makes adjustments so that we actually are running an offense that suits our players, he has an entire off-season to come up with it and an entire pre-season of trial and error.  And that his defensive assistant implements a defense that we can actually see executed.

IF D'antoni does neither, he's probably out of here so then there's nothing to worry about. 

But if he does, good for him and the team.

Edited by Majesty, May 10, 2013 - 09:23 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#43 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,393 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 10, 2013 - 09:46 PM

There are A LOT of random joe Lakers fans. If he doesn't keep this ship a sail, we'll see how much he cares about that.

The Lakers have had title droughts and the brand remains strong. The BIg difference is

Whn it was Jerry West's era and he got help he won. Smae with Kareem and Magic, same with Shaq and Kobe. Same with Kobe and pau.

In between those eras. You had Bill Russell, Dr. J/Moses Malone,Mj,Isiah, Duncan, and NOW Lebron. 

I love my Lakers, but it's LeBron's time right now ,and is it going to be Dwight's turn soon, or is it going to be Chris paul, or Melo or, whomever, but why can't we address this first?

Are people trying to act like Kobe's 5 rings isn't ENOUGh, he doesn't need more to validate him. He's one of, if not the BESt PURE basketball talents the Earth has ever seen/will ever see.

But , you can't watch NBa basketball and not see, LeBron is healthy, focused, with stupid crazy teammates, and a frakish athleticism.

Lets hope Dwight is still on the same path he was pre- back injury

if he re-signs

#44 CaliforniaSoul

CaliforniaSoul

Off The Bench

• 1,839 posts
  • Name:Mychal
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted May 10, 2013 - 11:38 PM

28-12 to end the season barely beating bad teams and needing Kobe's superhuman efforts to pull out a few miracles.

I'm so impressed.

#45 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,731 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted May 11, 2013 - 02:04 AM

28-12 to end the season barely beating bad teams and needing Kobe's superhuman efforts to pull out a few miracles.

I'm so impressed.

you forgot to add superb rotation and minute managing, also defensive adjustments. 

#46 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,883 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 11, 2013 - 08:26 AM

The key is you said if the Lakers are winning a under D'Antoni they won't.

#47 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted May 11, 2013 - 08:42 AM

Despite the random joe Laker fans and people that hate on the internet Lakers games still sold out this season as did each playoff game even when Darius Morris and Andrew Goudelock were starting.

That shows you how much people that complain on twitter matter in the grand scheme of things.

As long as we're winning and as long as Staples Center still sells out every game like this season and the post seasoN(that's KNOWING that Kobe isn't going to play) then the twitter people will be but a spoke on the wheel.

That's why no twitter rant or 'media pressure' is going to budge Mitch OR Jim on hiring Phil.

That's it.

No twenty page forum thread, no twitter rant, no ESPN insiders, nothing is going to budge Jim or Mitch except losing.

Mitch has said it time and time again "It's about wins and losses" as long as we're still winning, D'antoni is remaining. That's as simple as it gets.

There is nothing to peer inside or less black and white than that. And there is no grand scheme that is going to bring Phil here.

It's as simple as this.

I'm not going to sit back and HOPE we lose just so that happens either. Long as we're winning I don't care who the coach is. All I care about as far as HE goes next season is that he makes adjustments so that we actually are running an offense that suits our players, he has an entire off-season to come up with it and an entire pre-season of trial and error. And that his defensive assistant implements a defense that we can actually see executed.

IF D'antoni does neither, he's probably out of here so then there's nothing to worry about.

So what are you saying the grand scheme is? As long as buss is making money (filling seats) he could care less about winning championships?

We all know why games sold out and it wasn't because the consumers paid for a good product.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#48 Thanatos

Thanatos

Rookie

• 1,249 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted May 11, 2013 - 09:03 AM

I see the Lakers with D'Antoni and then I see the Bulls with Thibodeau. Two teams that have gotten decimated by injuries, but one (hint: the Bulls) playing the defending champs to a near virtual draw. That's despite the fact that half their rotation right now is guys that weren't even supposed to play that much.

Sure, 28-12 is pretty nice, but at the end of the day, one team is sitting at home feeling sorry about themselves, and the other is balling out of their minds trying to upset the champs. What's the difference? It's coaching.

Posted Image

#49 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,393 posts

Posted May 11, 2013 - 09:05 AM

So what are you saying the grand scheme is? As long as buss is making money (filling seats) he could care less about winning championships?

We all know why games sold out and it wasn't because the consumers paid for a good product.

If 45 wins, and 15 more close losses isn't an entertaining product, why are we still talking about it?

If Buss was ONLY concerned about $$$, then why get high priced players?Why not just do what the Clippers did for years?

Why pay 2 coaches?

#50 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,393 posts

Posted May 11, 2013 - 09:12 AM

I see the Lakers with D'Antoni and then I see the Bulls with Thibodeau. Two teams that have gotten decimated by injuries, but one (hint: the Bulls) playing the defending champs to a near virtual draw. That's despite the fact that half their rotation right now is guys that weren't even supposed to play that much.

Sure, 28-12 is pretty nice, but at the end of the day, one team is sitting at home feeling sorry about themselves, and the other is balling out of their minds trying to upset the champs. What's the difference? It's coaching.

Thibs is a better coach. But injuries are one issue.

Continuity was another.

And for the Bulls, they were this same gritty team for years, even before Thibs and Rose. Noah is the heart and soul of what that team represents.

Plus the East , kinda sux.

But EC ball doesn't seem to work on the West Coast. For whatever reason.

Anyway, they never LOST D. Rose, and with Nate taking a leap in maturity, they have enough guards.

When you have Duhon, that's not like Nate Robinson. And Dwight with no stamina, Pau with no knees, I look at Chicago with more overall talent. Look at Butler. That's not coaching thats young legs.

We didn't even have Jordan Hill.

28-12. That is impressive. You guys just don't appreciate the entertainment of the NBA, if its not the Lakers dominating.

#51 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,049 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted May 11, 2013 - 10:08 AM

That's it.

Mitch has said it time and time again "It's about wins and losses" as long as we're still winning, D'antoni is remaining. That's as simple as it gets.

There is nothing to peer inside or less black and white than that. And there is no grand scheme that is going to bring Phil here.

It's as simple as this.

I'm not going to sit back and HOPE we lose just so that happens either. Long as we're winning I don't care who the coach is. All I care about as far as HE goes next season is that he makes adjustments so that we actually are running an offense that suits our players, he has an entire off-season to come up with it and an entire pre-season of trial and error. And that his defensive assistant implements a defense that we can actually see executed.

I pretty much completely agree with everything you have been saying on this topic.

Most people take your stand as supporting D'Antoni when in fact you, me, and few others have swallowed the fact that Mitch and Jim won't fire another coach unless D'Antoni starts losing harshly and a big name coach like Phil is ready to step in immediately.

I don't see them firing D'Antoni and searching for a few weeks for a new coach. Unless Phil or someone like Coach K agrees to come in, they won't fire midseason.

I strongly doubt Dwight will give the ultimatum that many are talking about. Dwight never showed any signs of being against D'Antoni, and actually made few complaints this season, until the end where he gave in to the fact that he was hurt early on.

#52 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts

Posted May 11, 2013 - 10:56 AM

If 45 wins, and 15 more close losses isn't an entertaining product, why are we still talking about it?

If Buss was ONLY concerned about $$$, then why get high priced players?Why not just do what the Clippers did for years?

Why pay 2 coaches?

You're entertained by losing?

Maybe if we were the Bobcats I'd be estactic about a bottom seed borderline playoff team that was bent over often.

Why hire a loser to coach high priced players? Who's fault is it Pau Gasol is being paid 20 million a season and still remains on the roster?

Why pay two coaches? Why pay MDA at all? This is the bed LA wants to lay in.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#53 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,124 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 11, 2013 - 10:59 AM

You're entertained by losing?

Maybe if we were the Bobcats I'd be estactic about a bottom seed borderline playoff team that was bent over often.

Why hire a loser to coach high priced players? Who's fault is it Pau Gasol is being paid 20 million a season and still remains on the roster?

Why pay two coaches? Why pay MDA at all? This is the bed LA wants to lay in.

Wins and losses

D'antoni stays as long as the team is winning.

No matter how fans want to decipher why.

If we're winning he's staying.

That's all there is to it. 

it doesn't matter if you say "its all Kobe" or "we're not even running his system" or anything you can decipher, figure out, or talk about to discredit one side or give credit to another.

If we're winning D'antoni is staying.   Point blank the end.

Edited by Majesty, May 11, 2013 - 11:00 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#54 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts

Posted May 11, 2013 - 11:05 AM

If that's your premise, then how do you explain MDA still being the head coach?

Maybe some of you watched a different team this season. We won something? What did we win? When has MDA ever won anything?

Team was garbage this season. Not even watchable

Edited by Windu, May 11, 2013 - 11:06 AM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#55 SDLakersfan24

SDLakersfan24

Rookie

• 180 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Worthy

Posted May 11, 2013 - 11:22 AM

Maybe some of you watched a different team this season. We won something? What did we win? When has MDA ever won anything?

I agree, you don't pay the enormous price for the talent on this team to get swept out of the first round. Because MDA won a few games in the regular season by no means justifies keeping him as the coach, he won zero games when it counted the most, not to mention he ran the team into the ground.

#56 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,226 posts

Posted May 11, 2013 - 11:25 AM

Dwight Howard is going to flirt with teams in order to pressure management to fire MDA and hire an actual coach. If our management is smart, they will hire a coach who Dwight endorses. This is the player who is our future.

MDA is nothing but a buffoon. He has a history of winning games, but not once a championship. He will never take this team to the next level. He will never get the best of our players due to his failure to maximize their talents and developing a system that incorporates our player's strengths. He will never lead us to the Finals.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#57 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted May 11, 2013 - 11:54 AM

D12 should make a subtle shot at MDA and the Coaching Staff like Kobe did with the "death stare." Will trigger the media and fan base and hopefully the Lakers FO.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#58 nikolatesla

nikolatesla

Rookie

• 391 posts
  • Name:Aykut
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted May 11, 2013 - 11:59 AM

Nothing is like a Kobe death stare and his Acl is on the receiving end right now. 

#59 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,393 posts

Posted May 11, 2013 - 07:17 PM

If we lose by 5 or less, I'm pretty sure I was entertained in the game.

Again, as a Lakers fan, I have enjoyed many titles. And when Magic (Kobe) was no longer the best player in the game , and Jordan ( Bron) was,
I was entertained by my Lakers and basketball in general.

#60 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,393 posts

Posted May 11, 2013 - 07:23 PM

coaching a team to a 1 seed twice in the NBA.

D'Antoni forgot more real life basketball than most of us knows combined.

Lakers had a plan to trade Pau, that's why Dantoni benched him first game.

Then Pau got hurt, and all of a sudden, a big 4 became a big 2, and NO. Jordan Hill.

There were 45 wins this season. And at least 10 close losses.

I enjoyed watching Kobe have his last elite year in all likelihood. Dwight and Pau start to figure things out. Metta dunk the ball a few times. Jamison go for 30 in a Lakers uniform.

I'm not spoiled. I've lived through 10 titles and I'm not 30. Lol.

It's not all about the destination. Especially in sports, where we love the technical plays as well as the highlights.

Edited by BasketballIQ, May 11, 2013 - 07:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users