Photo

Phil Jackson Watch: Phil's end game is the Lakers (Pg. 7)

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#21 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,217 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 04:45 PM

Unless we start next season with a bad record, or unless Dwight says "Phil or Me" don't count on seeing him coaching us again.  

I would be VERY VERY shocked if D'antoni was fired in the off-season.  

Jim Buss could care less about public pressure.   The media can't do squat to him to MAKE him bring Phil in as a coach.   Write a few blog posts?   Not gonna do it.

You don't "leverage" any of the Buss family.  Shaq learned that the hard way.   I doubt a few people on twitter are going to deter him to hire Phil.

HE is only going to bring Phil in if the team is losing and he has to fire D'antoni.

But if we start next season 28-12 don't count on it.

D'Antoni can't coach if he is on the moon.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#22 Alpha Four

Alpha Four

Fugitive Alien

• 501 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 10, 2013 - 05:02 PM

Unless we start next season with a bad record, or unless Dwight says "Phil or Me" don't count on seeing him coaching us again.  

I would be VERY VERY shocked if D'antoni was fired in the off-season.  

Jim Buss could care less about public pressure.   The media can't do squat to him to MAKE him bring Phil in as a coach.   Write a few blog posts?   Not gonna do it.

You don't "leverage" any of the Buss family.  Shaq learned that the hard way.   I doubt a few people on twitter are going to deter him to hire Phil.

HE is only going to bring Phil in if the team is losing and he has to fire D'antoni.

But if we start next season 28-12 don't count on it.

Agree on everything especially the boded part. People that actually think MDA will be fired still are foolish.

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#23 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,175 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 10, 2013 - 05:06 PM

I could care less what Jim Buss cares about if his number one priority isn't winning championships.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#24 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,432 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted May 10, 2013 - 05:09 PM

The idea of Phil wanting to return to the Lakers does not surprise me. I never once believed that he would go anywhere else. He wants to be near Jeanie, he doesn't want to relocate, and he wouldn't want to be known as a regular coach, but more of a franchise guy. The one guy that many people have always compared Phil to was Red Auerbach, who spent a majority of his career with one team. I see Phil wanting to follow this type of career.

However, I see Phil as a type of "last resort" option for Jim. Part of him is most likely hoping that Phil takes a job soon so that the pressure will no longer be there to hire him. But if Dwight/Kobe show reluctance towards D'Antoni, I can see something happening. I honestly think that if it ever came to this situation, they would not fire D'Antoni until Phil agrees in order to avoid unneeded drama.

#25 Blax

Blax

Rookie

• 522 posts
  • Name:Blax
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Threatt, Rodman

Posted May 10, 2013 - 05:28 PM

In a perfect "Laker" world, we would get rid of Pau & D'Antoni and obtain PJ & CP3 (or Love) in the off season. 

#26 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,320 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 06:38 PM

Phil's greatest ability is turning guys into champions. He did it to shaq, to pau and he'll do it for Dwight

Have to get phil
Posted Image

#27 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,329 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted May 10, 2013 - 07:05 PM

Not implying that Phil is going to be back, but would the triangle be effective in this much more athletic league?

#28 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,073 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted May 10, 2013 - 07:08 PM

Not implying that Phil is going to be back, but would the triangle be effective in this much more athletic league?

That's exactly the question he wants people asking.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#29 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 39,937 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 10, 2013 - 08:00 PM

D'Antoni can't coach if he is on the moon.

Won't matter if we start next season on pace to win 57 games. 

Wins and losses. 

As long as we're winning, no matter how much you hate the coach he isn't gonna get replaced.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#30 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,867 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 10, 2013 - 08:23 PM

You're killin' me guys.  It's "couldn't care less".

Makes a huge difference.

P.S., Kevin Love ain't comin' to L.A..  The team is bound and determined to maintain maximum cap flexibility for the summer of 2014.

#31 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,349 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 10, 2013 - 08:30 PM

Let's get something straight.

Lebron James choked more than any other athlete in the history of the modern NBA finals.

I mean CHOKED.

Do Coach SPO turn HIm into a champion? 

It's NOT about D'Antoni. It 's not about Phil Jackson. If you need the GREATESt coach of all time to "possibly" win a championship, it's not in the CARDS.

Be SENSIBLe, and not romanticize the situation. LeBron just won with a guy who was deemed HORRIBLE 18 months ago.

You guys , it's not about D'Antoni. Second HALF ohe season was a 66% win rate, and we weren't 100% healthy in the least at that time. Kobe was right

#32 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,349 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 08:32 PM

If Jim Buss doesn't want to win, why did he add payroll? 

Also, why did he fore Brown. You guys sound like pure hATERS, ignoring all rationale. It's worse than arguing with laker haters

#33 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,217 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 08:33 PM

Won't matter if we start next season on pace to win 57 games.

Wins and losses.

As long as we're winning, no matter how much you hate the coach he isn't gonna get replaced.

What do you mean it won't matter? They are going to need to find a new coach after we launch this dude to Mars along with Pau Gasol. There is nothing that management can do about that. If management won't get rid of them, we will.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#34 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,432 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted May 10, 2013 - 08:35 PM

Let's get something straight.

Lebron James choked more than any other athlete in the history of the modern NBA finals.

I mean CHOKED.

Do Coach SPO turn HIm into a champion? 

It's NOT about D'Antoni. It 's not about Phil Jackson. If you need the GREATESt coach of all time to "possibly" win a championship, it's not in the CARDS.

Be SENSIBLe, and not romanticize the situation. LeBron just won with a guy who was deemed HORRIBLE 18 months ago.

You guys , it's not about D'Antoni. Second HALF ohe season was a 66% win rate, and we weren't 100% healthy in the least at that time. Kobe was right

The big difference is that Spo's premier talent in LeBron and Wade have the ball in their hands and create the offense, and Spo allows them to do so because that is where they are most effective.

In our case, our biggest advantage is in the post with Dwight and Pau. So what does D'Antoni do? He wants us shooting threes. We do not have a three point shooting team. Period. It isn't about the name of the coach, but about utilizing the pieces on the roster.

• 40,548 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 08:41 PM

- Pau's personal problems and inability  to play through physical play by Dirk

WHAT? :laughing:

yo.

#36 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,349 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 08:44 PM

The big difference is that Spo's premier talent in LeBron and Wade have the ball in their hands and create the offense, and Spo allows them to do so because that is where they are most effective.

In our case, our biggest advantage is in the post with Dwight and Pau. So what does D'Antoni do? He wants us shooting threes. We do not have a three point shooting team. Period. It isn't about the name of the coach, but about utilizing the pieces on the roster.

Inaccurate in my opinion..

D'Antoni wanted to play a system that neglected Pau early, but Pau was playing terrible, and I think it's due to injuries mostly.

When Dwight and Pau were healthy, they played effective, however, when the defenses adjust, you need effective perimeter players. When Kobe,Nash, and Blake and Meeks go down, its VERY easy to defend the post.

Let me teach you something though.

Offensively, our advantage lies in KOBE. He is the 2nd or 3rd best offense creator in the entire league and the numbers back that up

I know people don't really get the game, so I won't go into detail, but

I will not sugarcoat a thing. D'Antoni cost us about 5-7 games. Dwight cost us a few. Injuries cost us at least 6, where the personnel was not talented enough to compete with the other roster or the chemistry between the players were nonexistent because some guys NEVEr played together.

If you deny ANY of that, you can't even garner a response from me. KObe actually cost us 2 or 3 games, so you can chalk this season up to, Miami's TIME.

It's too hard for most sports fans to accept, but Jordan had a time, and Shaq had an era, Kobe had his, so lets not be fools here and let history repeat itself with no acknowledgement of what  is potentially unfolding.

#37 Alpha Four

Alpha Four

Fugitive Alien

• 501 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 10, 2013 - 08:51 PM

I could care less what Jim Buss cares about if his number one priority isn't winning championships.

I'm sure he cares what a random joe on the internet thinks of him.

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#38 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 39,937 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 10, 2013 - 08:54 PM

What do you mean it won't matter? They are going to need to find a new coach after we launch this dude to Mars along with Pau Gasol. There is nothing that management can do about that. If management won't get rid of them, we will.

It won't matter. 

As long as we're winning D'antoni is staying.  That's how it's going to be run and that is how Mitch and Jim will make their decision.

The sooner you come to grips with that the easier it will get.

Don't expect Phil unless this team starts losing.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#39 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 10, 2013 - 08:56 PM

If Phil is willing to take over as a major consultant role, I can see him getting his foot in the organization and put himself into a much larger role later.

If he wants the things Lazenby mentioned, the way to get them is to come in, consult with D'Antoni, be on the bench.  If he does that and D'Antoni doesn't succeed, it would be a no-brainer to install Phil in the driver's seat, even if it's mid season.

Plus, it would give the entire team a chance to learn both systems, adapt and put pressure on the front office directly on which works or which they prefer.

#40 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,175 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted May 10, 2013 - 09:02 PM

I'm sure he cares what a random joe on the internet thinks of him.

There are A LOT of random joe Lakers fans. If he doesn't keep this ship a sail, we'll see how much he cares about that.

Pau Gasol is GONE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users