Photo

Phil Jackson Watch: Phil's end game is the Lakers (Pg. 7)

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#181 WWBD

WWBD

Rookie

• 96 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 10:45 AM

Why is everybody so quick to forget that in 2011 Jim hired Mike Brown over Brian Shaw because they didn't want the triangle anymore?  I can see them willing to let that go temporarily if it means getting Phil - the greatest of all time - but they're not going to hire a lesser triangle coach.

#182 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,749 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted May 23, 2013 - 10:58 AM

I wouldn't want Rambis, id rather give Shaw a chance

2div

#183 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 23, 2013 - 11:03 AM

Why is everybody so quick to forget that in 2011 Jim hired Mike Brown over Brian Shaw because they didn't want the triangle anymore?  I can see them willing to let that go temporarily if it means getting Phil - the greatest of all time - but they're not going to hire a lesser triangle coach.

No one is forgetting that. 

If Phil is brought in as an advisor and gets to choose the coach, it will be a triangle guy. 

#184 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,131 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 23, 2013 - 02:50 PM

Let's also not forget that they got Chris Paul in the off-season, which would have done just fine with the offense they wanted to run.

In the latter half of Kobe's career Mitch wanted to put a guy on the team that could take the ball out of Kobe's hands and allow him to play off ball and run things to make it easier on him.  Chris Paul WAS that guy.  

When we didn't get Chris Paul he got a replacement in Sessions, when Sessions bolted he got who was the best point guard out there and available in Steve Nash, the problem was Steve Nash was about 2 years removed from being able to run things.

The front office didn't want Kobe having to do "everything" in the latter half of his career, they wanted an offense and a system that would allow Kobe to play off ball so they thought Nash PnR would make life easier for Kobe.

When Mike Brown decided to put the ball in Kobe's hands and play Nash off ball(which Nash wanted) they let him go.

Phil also said that Nash should be used off-ball.  So they picked D'antoni the guy who would give them what they wanted, Nash running the offense and Kobe playing off ball.   They unfortunately realized too late that Mike Brown, Phil jackson and Steve Nash were correct, he SHOULD be off ball, and he was "not" Chris Paul nor was he capable of doing what Chris Paul would have.  

So then Kobe was forced to HAVE to be main facilitator and push himself to the brink to get us into the playoffs, which was the exact opposite of what the FO wanted.   They wanted Chris Paul, and unfortunately trying to "find" him wound up being their undoing.

One thing is for sure, THIS offense(and how it would have been simplified) was making life easier for Kobe even if Nash was off ball a majority of the time.

For the record.. I HATE Coach Nick with a passion as his "click on my videos so I stir up things" agenda for views and blog hits.   But I couldn't find another break down on what worked and what didn't in the Princeton(this is why RD needs to make a youtube account with better points.. hint hint..)

Hindsight is 20/20 but in hindsight and what should have been foresight this offense fit us a lot better than whatever D'antoni was brought in to run and it would have been simplified down to something triangle related anyway.   When it comes to D'antoni..his offense would have ONLY worked if we had Chris Paul as our main point guard, we didn't so we should have changed the plan.   They didn't and Kobe and the team in general suffered.

sigh...

just for kicks here's a triangle set too that worked to perfection against the Mavericks when we lost cause of all those darn missed free throws.

Edited by Majesty, May 24, 2013 - 02:25 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#185 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,781 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 23, 2013 - 06:38 PM

Phil to the Lakers is tied to Dwight staying...

No Dwight, no Phil.  There is no upside to bringing in Phil without another young superstar to help run the triangle thru and recruit another superstar in 2014...which is when this thing really takes off...our biggest moves come at the trade deadline next year and the offseason of 2014...

#186 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,933 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted May 24, 2013 - 05:31 AM

But, does no Phil = no Dwight?

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#187 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,118 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 06:28 AM

I wish D'Antoni could get Rambis as his assistant coach.

#188 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,096 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 24, 2013 - 06:46 AM

MDA doesn't need an assistant. He needs a new job.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#189 DeeZee

DeeZee

Sixth Man

• 4,160 posts
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, wilt,kareem

Posted May 24, 2013 - 07:38 AM

^ I agree

#190 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,127 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted May 24, 2013 - 10:40 AM

Brian Shaw's agent, Jerome Stanley, tells @CBSSports his client hasn't spoken with any teams about head coaching jobs.

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#191 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,127 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted May 24, 2013 - 10:42 AM

Stanley on Shaw's candidacy for vacancies: ”Any interviews will be conducted when the season is over, if there is still availability."

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users