Photo

Phil Jackson Watch: Phil's end game is the Lakers (Pg. 7)

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#1 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,869 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 28, 2013 - 09:22 AM

EL SEGUNDO – The last time the Lakers were down, 3-0, in a playoff series wasn't so long ago – no matter the boldly stated preference for Phil Jackson over Mike D'Antoni in the Twitter account of Dwight Howard's girlfriend and the "We want Phil!" chants at Staples Center on Friday night.

It was during that 2011 postseason that Jackson tried something different than he ever had, which he reveals in his new book "Eleven Rings: The Soul of Success," to be released to the public May 21. It's no small thing, and it might explain a little what happened to Jackson and that Lakers team that failed to win a third consecutive championship.

Jackson was diagnosed with prostate cancer in March 2011. After doctors assured him the cancer could be controlled by drugs temporarily, Jackson waited until after the season to undergo surgery.

Jackson decided to divulge his situation to his players when he sensed the team was lacking something in the playoffs.

"Shocking," Pau Gasol said Saturday, remembering Jackson's disclosure to the team. "But then you also could understand certain moments of his demeanor, energy and involvement because of what he was going through health-wise. It explained certain things. It was a shock. A difficult moment for the team."

Gasol said Jackson talked with team captains Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher privately before telling the whole team in a video session – but Jackson was left second-guessing the revelation in which he became teary-eyed as he spoke … the Lakers strangely fading in that series vs. Dallas.

Gasol allowed that it was different for the team to see Jackson – "such a big figure, the physical and spiritual leader of the team" – as vulnerable.

"As much as I love Phil and I appreciate everything about him," Gasol said, "it was difficult to know."

There were other factors in Dallas sweeping the Lakers in that second round – fatigue from the previous title runs, a new defense installed at midseason, Bryant's weak right knee, what Jackson called a serious family issue for Gasol that he still declined to detail Saturday.

1119-pau-gasol-608.jpg

But with a lack of the usual unwavering Jackson leadership, there was no saving those Lakers, and we're seeing something similar with these Lakers on the brink of a sweep in Mike D'Antoni's first playoff series: There's no way these Lakers are overcoming all these injuries when the trust in the leadership is lacking, too.

Gasol, Bryant, Dwight Howard and Metta World Peace have all publicly questioned D'Antoni's coaching this season, and the Lakers simply must – one way or another – get themselves on the same page next season.

Consider what Christine Vest, Howard's girlfriend, dared to deliver via Twitter during the Game 3 rout: "Officially can't stand D'Antoni." Although not an officially certified Howard spokesperson, when someone asked her if she could coach the team, Vest replied: "noooo lol Phil can tho."

D'Antoni has relented and run Howard's preferred post-up system late in the season, and style of offense is a big deal to Howard as he makes his final decision on free agency soon.

As far as Gasol goes, D'Antoni's late-season trust in him has been rewarded with triple-doubles left and right even as Gasol, 32, deals with lingering pain from the torn plantar fascia in his right foot and so much constant pain in both knees that he needs to research ways to regenerate tendon tissue in them this offseason. Gasol also told me he tore a ligament in his right middle finger during Game 3 Friday night and will wear a splint Sunday.

Injuries have certainly been the Lakers' season story, Gasol said, but right behind that has been "the new coach getting to know the team, the team getting to know the coach, making it work ... and it's different, just different."

Even though the Lakers' ultimate goal is to get under the luxury-tax plateau in 2014-15 to avoid the new NBA repeater tax, Gasol knows by now that the Lakers don't necessarily believe he and his $19 million salary suit them that well for 2013-14.

With Bryant, World Peace and Steve Blake injured – and Devin Ebanks a free-agent dead man walking – Gasol will the only player on the court Sunday left from Jackson's final Lakers team two years ago. From Jackson's 2009 title team, the whole roster has been turned over except for Bryant and Gasol.

And after all his oft-stated loyalty to the Lakers, Gasol knows by now it's perhaps time for another from Jackson's flock to be freed.

"I want to be in a situation where I'm utilized properly and I can maximize my talents," Gasol said. "I would love for that place to continue to be here, but it can't be like this year – or it can't be because now there are a couple injured players that we're doing that. That's something that will be discussed in the offseason."

Edited by West Coast, May 22, 2013 - 09:22 AM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#2 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,646 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted April 28, 2013 - 10:35 AM

Interesting.  He also did that interview with Bill Simmons around the time he found out he had cancer.  I wonder which happened first?

And Gasol's family issue.   I don't care what it was, but I am sort of glad to know it was real.  I remember after the play-offs were over, Gasol tried to act like he didn't even know anything had been going on or was being said.    Gasol has never been the same since.  

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#3 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 10,932 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted April 28, 2013 - 12:08 PM

It just goes to show how much WE, as fans actually know about whats really going on. Zilch.

#4 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,250 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 28, 2013 - 12:33 PM

So now that he's healthier...

#5 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

All-Star

• 6,840 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 28, 2013 - 12:45 PM

and still coached better than Mike Brown and MDA.......

#6 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 22,670 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted April 28, 2013 - 12:47 PM

we should......

Posted Image

#7 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,869 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 08:30 AM

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 6m
One of the big differences between Phil and Jim Buss is that Phil's not sentimental in any way+Jim is quietly hugely sentimental. #flaw
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 8m
Truth is, very few people can coach a pro basketball team effectively today. They have to have a cachet that overcomes players' money+egos.
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 23m
D'Antoni should coach a young, athletic roster. He and the Lakers will grind each other up next season. They'll be hamburger in the end

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 25m
I've never known Phil to be sentimental in even the slightest way. He and Tex shared a cold, hard realism. That made them great.
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 28m
Phil and the triangle would extend Nash's career, would allow the Lakers to get value out of him, would make DHo a full weapon+sustain Kobe
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 31m
Phil's done some truly [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] things, has a dark side but his gift's great. He liberated the game. Not sure it wants to liberation just now
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 35m
It was always fun watching cynical, burned-out players get a jolt of fire once they started working with Phil. Bison Dele? Was a kid again
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 38m
Phil's got maybe 5/6 years left with the right situation. Somebody in the NBA has to be smart enough to figure out how to make it work.
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 40m
Tex always marveled at Phil's ability to teach. The concept of GM or coach doesn't address what he'll bring to a team as a mentor/instructor
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 41m
Phil's itching to work with a great team in practice while letting somebody else coach the games. That's gonna be tricky, but not impossible
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 45m
Tex was a true artist with the triangle. Powerful underlying structure that allowed a jazz-like flow once players grasped the fundamentals.
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 48m
One thing Jim Buss learned from daddy was to play his cards close. No one knows what he's thinking. That can be good or it can be disastrous
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 50m
Tex always designed his philosophy to be widely adaptable to all things basketball. It was others who viewed it with rigidity.
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 50m
Phil always adjusted the triangle. The offense was quite different with Shaq than with MJ. And different with Kobe as the main weapon.
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 52m
Tex always called Phil the triangle's chief salesman. Without the salesmanship, none of it would have happened. It needs that more than ever
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 56m
Sustaining the triangle requires an entire culture, not just hiring a coach. Phil would be the triangle culture that allows it to work
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 58m
Mainly Phil needs to work again to secure his legacy. Not in terms of titles. But with a young protege who could take the triangle forward

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 1h
Phil Jackson should coach Dwight Howard. That's the bottom line. I don't care if they do it in the D League. It should happen.
Expand

If Dwight Drama leaves, his lost season in LA will always be an asterisk with no short explanation. How do you hide that?
Expand

Dwight Drama is born for the Lakers. He longed to be there. Will he really want to walk away+leave the impression he just couldn't cut it?
Expand

I remember the Lakers dysfunction with Shaq+Kobe from 96-99. It's tiny next to their current huge, unsolvable drama.
Expand

What about D'Antoni? He did nice things for Phoenix. Then fell in with dysfunctional NY+dysfunctional LA. He's set a record for dysfunction
Expand

Mitch Kupchak is largely believed to be sane. You know he's got to be going crazy dealing with the Lakers situation.
Expand

Forget Lakers tickets, I'd pay good money to watch Phil take on Jim Buss in a game of Clue.
Expand

Just as the gulf between Dr. Buss + Phil was huge, the chasm between Jim Buss + the ZenMaster is expansive. Basketball's Grand Canyon.
Expand

There's a comic image of Phil, sitting cross-legged on the floor, burning incense, sage+other herbs, contemplating his navel+the triangle.
Expand

Phil has long admitted to a push-pull in his personal relationships. Much the same with the fans and media.
Expand

Zen is a mind puzzle. Phil always played mind games with his players. Now he's doing it with the basketball public.
Expand

MJ once had unrealistic expectations about his role as an executive. Does Phil have similar unrealistic expectations? Prolly.
Expand

People think Phil struggles to find a roster he'd want to work with. He also needs an owner. That's where it's always broken down for PJ.
Expand

Busses didn't want to bring Phil back in 05, but they had to. Interesting to see what sort of power play the season ticket holders make
Expand

Hiring Phil would create just a mountain of expectations for the Lakers, expectations to spend huge money for coaches and players.
Expand

The gulf of egos+envy between Phil and his future in laws has always been huge and deep. He+Dr. Buss struggled to get past their giant egos
Expand

Phil + the Lakers seem like an incredibly long shot. If it's going to happen, would have to be soon, which makes the odds even smaller.
Expand

Or Phil could simply have a huge need to know that he's still desired and wanted. Thus all the flirtations, etc., with other teams.
Expand

Phil's had several teams throw themselves at him and shown little interest in return. Seems he clings to an unrequited hope for the Lakers
Expand

Phil is said to be comforting fiancee Jeanie Buss as she grieves the loss of her father. That raises doubt about his willingness to relocate
Expand

For the first time, Phil Jackson is a true zen master. He has the media befuddled with this on-again, off-again tease about coaching.
Expand

Interesting tidbits by his mouth piece...he is rejecting offers all over the place almost makes us want to read between the lines that he wants Lakers. He wants to coach in a manner where he's mentoring a younger coach who will take over once he leaves. Not until recently Lazenby has he talked about the trouble Phil's ego gets him into so maybe Phil does realize even though he's a winner theres some baggage he drags along with him

If we're gonna bring Phil back we need some triangle guys back and an actual healthy roster that can compete. We have too many old guys

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#8 epicwolf

epicwolf

Off The Bench

• 2,652 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 10, 2013 - 10:10 AM

It is not a surprised that his first choice will always be working for the Lakers. That is his fiance's team. lakers i the only franchise that is big enough for Phil's ego and his ora. I still don't think he wants to coach again but more of a front office job or an "advisor".  The only issue is Lakers don't need an advisor or a president to run the team because Jim Buss wants to do those jobs. Until he woke up one day and be like "Alright, I dont want to be the guy who run basketball operations but more of an owner position" then that is when Phil take his place. What people don't really understand here is that Phil doesn't want to be the GM. He even admits it in his book saying he hates scouting players and dealing players. So Mitch's job is safe. What Phil wants is to be Jim Buss position. Calling most of the shots and saying yay or nay to Mitch whenever Mitch show him the players. Thats what phil wants. He doesnt want to coach anymore. The grinding, traveling and practices that coaches do is not what phil wants. 

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#9 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

All-Star

• 6,840 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 10:10 AM

Bring Phil and Shaw back. Have Phil be the coach for 2 years or so and let Shaw take over.

#10 epicwolf

epicwolf

Off The Bench

• 2,652 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 10, 2013 - 10:13 AM

Phil wants to be the guy who hire coaches. His main reason why he wants to be back with the lakers is to put his inprint in the organization by hiring coaches he believe is good. Shaw probably get the detroit job but it seems to me like Phil still believe Kurt Rambis is a great coach. Even though Kurt struggled in Minnesota, Kurt is a great coach and a great defensive coach and Phil wants that.  Kurt's wife and Jeanie are bffs

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#11 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 5,615 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted May 10, 2013 - 10:19 AM

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 28m
Phil and the triangle would extend Nash's career, would allow the Lakers to get value out of him, would make DHo a full weapon+sustain Kobe
Expand

Exactly why I want him back. You have to play to everybody's strength.  Kobe + Pau already knows it, Nash + DH fits it and can do some damage in it.

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, May 10, 2013 - 10:22 AM.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#12 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,869 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 10:25 AM

YOU GUYS HAVE TO READ THIS ARTICLE. CLICK THE LINK.

Plenty of gold about the 2010/2011 season

- Phil's personal issues including battling prostate cancer

- Kobe's bad knees and how he had to sit out practices & it ruined team chemistry/intensity

- Pau's personal problems and inability  to play through physical play by Dirk

http://www.insidesoc...2010-11-season/

But in the last of the book’s 22 chapters, Jackson appears forthcoming on why he believed the Lakers failed to win a third consecutive NBA championship in what amounted to his final season.

That included his revelation that he learned in March, 2011 that he had been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Jackson planned to wait until after the playoffs to have surgery and noted doctors assured him he could control the cancer at least temporarily with drugs.

With the Lakers tied 2-2 in their first-round series against the New Orleans Hornets, Jackson recalled veteran guard Derek Fisher speaking up and questioning the team’s overall focus level. Jackson then decided to tell his players about his health.

“‘This has been a tough period for me,” Jackson recalled telling his players. “And I don’t know if it has affected my ability to give 100 percent to what I normally give you guys. But I know there’ve been times when I’ve been more withdrawn than usual.’”

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#13 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted May 10, 2013 - 12:07 PM

I love Lazenby's rants. One of the few people I don't mind filling up my timeline.

#14 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted May 10, 2013 - 12:24 PM

Phil Jackson ain't bout that life.

#15 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 42,001 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 10, 2013 - 12:33 PM

PJ is such a great coach and leader of men that I think he could have success in the NFL.
Pau Gasol is TRASH

#16 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,646 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted May 10, 2013 - 03:45 PM

It could well be that he is coming back and everybody knows it. Even in 2005, Lakers didn't announce reunion until after the Finals. Phil even did an interview with ABC during the Finaals, from the Lakers' facility in El Segundo.

If nothing else, the objective is to put public pressure on Jim Buss.

I do wonder, though, if JB is afraid that PJ wants a chance to turn him down?

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#17 Lagunero

Lagunero

☑ Nash ☑ Howard - Win Championship ☐

• 1,617 posts
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Kareem, Shaq.

Posted May 10, 2013 - 03:58 PM

pj the gratest! love that man.

Posted Image

#18 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,011 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 10, 2013 - 04:07 PM

I love Lazenby's rants. One of the few people I don't mind filling up my timeline.

Who is that guy?
Just a random person?
A writer?
A person close with Phil Jackson?
A person close the the lakers?

I thought it was strange to see just a bunch of one sentence ramblings from one person in a seeming drunken twitter out burst...

99/100 laker fans would want Phil back though

Phil wants to come back... We know he does, he would have came back 2012/2013 if it weren't for evil forces that caused dantonie to be hired.

#19 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,748 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 10, 2013 - 04:15 PM

It could well be that he is coming back and everybody knows it. Even in 2005, Lakers didn't announce reunion until after the Finals. Phil even did an interview with ABC during the Finaals, from the Lakers' facility in El Segundo.

If nothing else, the objective is to put public pressure on Jim Buss.

I do wonder, though, if JB is afraid that PJ wants a chance to turn him down?

Unless we start next season with a bad record, or unless Dwight says "Phil or Me" don't count on seeing him coaching us again.  

I would be VERY VERY shocked if D'antoni was fired in the off-season.  

Jim Buss could care less about public pressure.   The media can't do squat to him to MAKE him bring Phil in as a coach.   Write a few blog posts?   Not gonna do it.

You don't "leverage" any of the Buss family.  Shaq learned that the hard way.   I doubt a few people on twitter are going to deter him to hire Phil.

HE is only going to bring Phil in if the team is losing and he has to fire D'antoni.

But if we start next season 28-12 don't count on it.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#20 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

All-Star

• 6,840 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 04:39 PM

Unless we start next season with a bad record, or unless Dwight says "Phil or Me" don't count on seeing him coaching us again.  

I would be VERY VERY shocked if D'antoni was fired in the off-season.  

Jim Buss could care less about public pressure.   The media can't do squat to him to MAKE him bring Phil in as a coach.   Write a few blog posts?   Not gonna do it.

You don't "leverage" any of the Buss family.  Shaq learned that the hard way.   I doubt a few people on twitter are going to deter him to hire Phil.

HE is only going to bring Phil in if the team is losing and he has to fire D'antoni.

But if we start next season 28-12 don't count on it.

For this franchise....its all about how you end the season, rings. MDA won't bring [expletive] to this franchise besides another first round exit and more injuries to Kobe.

Edited by LakeShow805, May 10, 2013 - 04:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users